registered today... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2010, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is our first baby and my husband and I were really excited about registering today. We started at Babies R Us but once I had that little scanning gun in hand I was immediately overwhelmed. I could hear my MIL in my head laughing at how clueless we are. It doesn't help that the checklist the store gave us is ridiculous. I may not have any children of my own but I KNOW I don't need 5 different strollers.

Any practical advice for a first timer? How many bottles do I really need? What about breast pump type accessories like storage bottles? Are the bags worth it? Can babies use regular washcloths or are baby ones somehow special? Do I need a wipes warmer? Which diaper rash cream/nipple cream is the best?

Sorry about all of the questions but I figure you guys are my best resource when it comes to what I really need. Thanks in advance!

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 12:28 AM

You work out of the home, right? So you will be pumping once you go back to work? I have never had to pump so I am not much help on that front but 10 bottles should be ok. Make sure they are BPA free.

Babies can totally use regular washcloths, but some of them are so bulky it is hard to maneuver around their bodies. I have baby washcloths I have used on all my kids. They aren't pretty but they have lasted a long time and were worth it to me.

A sling or carrier is essential to me. I have a few and we have one for my husband as well.

I found this list that might help you a bit:
http://blog.happygreenbaby.com/2009/...try-checklist/

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:32 AM

that question just can't be answered until you live it. So many different things work for different families. I personally found most all of the accouterments to be noisy, bulky and a waste of peoples time and money. Of course I didn't find that out until I had BTDT.

I think the essentials are a good sling/mei tai/wrap, breasts, and love. Of course diapers are nice and I also have an umbrella stroller (with a height adjustable handle), but that's more for my toddler that can't keep up. There are small essentials like the little nail clipper and the nose bulb thing. When I left my children for whatever reason for a couple of hours I would hand extract into a very small glass and that would usually end up in DH's coffee after I came home. I think my bike trailer is an essential, but it's obviously for older children (age 1+) and it is ESSENTIAL for us because we don't have a second vehicle. You may live on a gravel road and something like that would be the best waste of $500 ever!

Luckily for me, someone I knew had quints after my first and I was able to unload all the swingy/bouncy/noisy saucers etc to someone who really needed them because there were just not enough hands between the two of them!!! When I got all the junk out I felt so relieved. When I was pregnant with my second I gave my crib away, and I still haven't missed it!

What did it for me might not be your route. Plenty of people think the travel systems are essential and swear by them, I think they are horrid. It's one of those to each their own things.

I was probably of NO help what so ever but the best you can do, is figure out what you think you may use on a regular/daily basis. Poor mamas are totally over marketed and made to feel bad if you don't have/do/get all this crap. Most of the crap made my life miserable. Parenting just plain taught me I am a simple gal.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Old 10-12-2010, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I found the bags (inserts) for the bottles to get really expesive after awhile. I will never use that kind of bottle right away for anymore of my kids- I will try several bagless ones first. If you are worried about gas (the bags are supposed to reduce gas), try the Dr. Brown system. They are more expensive (and annoying to wash), but you still save money because you don't have to spend $$$ on inserts.

However, if money is not an issue for you, the inserts might be okay.

BUT... like echo said, every single baby is different and you won't know what you need with regards to certain items until the baby is here. Don't worry though. It will all work out

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM

I work full time and pumped for a year, so I can tell you what I found useful to have

Breastmilk storage bags--absolutely, yes, and buy good quality bags. I liked Lansinoh or Medela
A set (or two 2) of extra pump horns, valves, tubes, etc. Especially the white valves--those disappear very easily.
Storage bottles--I'd want to have at least 8
I think I had 6-8 bottles of each size (4 and 8), and the same amount of nipples, but there were multiple flow rates for different ages and so we needed them in each size. Daycare kept those at the facility, so I didn't have to take them home to wash, etc.

I had a microwave sterilization kit, and rarely used it. I also had Medela cleaning wipes and used those a LOT. I traveled for work, so a car adapter for the pump was essential.

LMK if you have any other questions.

Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some kids. Expecting someone new in Februrary!â¢â¢â¢â¢5â¢â¢â¢â¢10â¢â¢â¢â¢15â¢â¢â¢â¢20â¢â¢â¢25â¢â¢â¢â¢30â¢â¢â¢â¢35â¢â¢â¢â¢40
Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 PM

the less the better for us, a moby wrap was my best friend the first 4 months of DD1's existance. the only pumps i ever got were the cheap battery operated ones and for me those worked fine, i tend to have an over supply problem and would usually just pump to help with that, and save the milk anyways, we'd save them in the bags and freeze them, i don't think we ever ended up needing them, my kids weren't a fan of bottles at all.

diapers would be good i think, if you aren't going to cd i'd be weary of the new pampers dry ease, i've heard they cause a lot of rashes. bordeaux's butt paste is really good but shouldn't be used with cd's, but would be fine with disposables. the lansinoh diaper rash cream works pretty well and it can be used with cd's. i'd also reccommend the lansinoh lanolin for nipples.

we got the stroller/carseat system with ds and we really never used that stroller, but the carseat as you know is a must...if he wasn't in his seat he was being held or worn.

receiving blankets are good to have, we used them to clean up messes and to lie them down on to change diapers and to wrap them up with, and as burp cloths.

that's all i have for now...good luck...i remember how exciting it was to go register for the first them then how fustrating it became lol but it'll all work out

Lisa, wife to Jacob, mom to DS Ryan (4), DD Clover (2.5) and DD Mae (born 2/3/2011)
Old 10-12-2010, 01:24 PM

I must be a terribly minimalist working mom. I didn't realize it until now!

I had 3 of the 5-ounce Born Free bottles, for the entire breastfeeding relationship. Two for my MIL's house who watches my girl during the day, and one for mine, in case I was working and Tom was watching her.

My ring sling and Etsy wrap were indispensable, as were her cloth diapers. I carried her in the wraps way more than the travel system which I hate because I have trouble steering the behemoth strollers around corners without taking someone's toes off. I have an umbrella stroller for long walks where my kidlet gets tired, or for zoo trips, etc.

If you're pumping for work like I did, I highly recommend the Lansinoh pump and freezer bags. I didn't have the money for a Medela PIS and the Lansinoh one had plenty of suction and is still going strong! I would recommend, as a PP mentioned, getting extra of those little white valves, because without those tiny pieces of inexpensive plastic, the pump is useless. Get 4 extras and you'll be great!

I second the Lansinoh nipple cream. Magic, it is!

We use regular adult towels and washcloths for Mai. We bought the baby ones and they were a waste, IMO. We used towels as changing pads on the bed too, so we have a lot of spare towels.

We made a couple receiving blankets out of flannel yardage and the sewing machine (you could use pinking shears if you're not comfortable sewing) because we felt the ones at the store were not big enough.

I'm Brooke!  I'm an avid knitter (ravelry:mamaaulait) and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my boy, River (9/2013).
Old 10-12-2010, 01:26 PM

If you are freezing your breast milk, then yes I would buy the medela breast bags since they can store nice and flat without air. I pumped with #1 because the plan was I was supposed to go back to work but I didn't and he never took to a bottle ever. I wouldn't go crazy and say "these are bottles my baby are using" because your baby might have different plans. If you are going to supplement just buy a few that are nursing friend and see what works. I actually used a tiny cup with #1, #2 NEVER touched a bottle. He just used a cup.

You'll need diapers. We use cloth, that is something you want to buy ahead of time and wash and get ready. Not at BRU though. I love our cloth, my newborn/small stash is all ready to go.

Youll need clothes but don't register for ANY. People will buy what they want to. Do not feel compelled to register for onsies or sleepers. I can promise you that you will get 2045720 of them.

Some kind of baby carrier is nice. I have some slings and an ergo. My husband has a kelty which he loves. I don't like wraps personally, i don't like they way they squeeze my saddlebags.

I never went crazy on the plastic baby containment devices. Although, #2 would only sleep in a travel swing (if we werent cosleeping). I had a hand me down one that my inlaws had at their house, which we ended up taking home. I just bought a "new" one at a yard sale for $5, since my last son slept in that thing until 14 months and it was creaking and swaying under his girth. It is old, the new one I got is better and works.

We do have a pack and play, which I didn't have with my first, but having 2 older extremely fiesty boys running around, having a place to put a wondering 4 month old while the other 2 wrestle on the floor seems like a safe idea to me.

I would also think about safety items. We need to get a new safety gate for our stairs. This is a must. A lot of things don't need to be bought but just rethought. Is that sharp cornered coffee table a great idea? How about that glass top side table which is easy to fall over? Save the money on tons of plastic and replace the sharp tables with a nice soft upholstered ottoman to use as a coffee table. If you have sketchy types of blinds that had cords or anything else possibly chokey, I would think about replacing or altering some of that.

We also have a bed rail for our king sized bed for cosleeping - a MUST for us.

I do have a double phil and teds for the boys and a folding maclaren umbrella. The maclaren sits more upright and is for babies 3 months and up.

You'll get lots of blankets so I wouldn't register for any of those.

I did love my Boppy. I have a few and a few covers. I work from home and could nurse my son for hours on that thing. LOVE those. and a regular pillow didn't work for me, I'm a little taller I guess and I needed something firm to push the baby closer to my boobs.

We did get a baby monitor but I never used it really. My babies were always with me.

We have a basic graco snugride for an infant car seat and then upgrade to a britax convertible after a few months. I like the ease of taking out the whole car seat which is great in the winter with 2 other small kids to wrestle out of the car in the snow.

A lot of stuff you don't really need. Bottle sterilizers, washers, wipes warmers, "soothing machines".

I wish someone had thrown me a shower where the things I received were all hand made. There is something special about a nice cotton quilt or blanket and cute knitted hats and sweaters. Much nicer than the 28 silkscreened onsies you'll get from target.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Old 10-12-2010, 01:30 PM

How many bottles do I really need?
Don't stock up now. We tried 5 or 6 different types/brands of bottles before finding one that both my twins would accept. Some babies are very picky. Try a few single bottles in different bands until you find what you and baby like.

What about breast pump type accessories like storage bottles?Are the bags worth it?

For me, the bags were worth it. I went back to work part time when my girls were 3 months old and DH had to give them bottles of breastmilk. The bags freeze and thaw easily and take up very little room in the freezer.

Can babies use regular washcloths or are baby ones somehow special?

Personally I liked having baby wash clothes since our regular ones are pretty large and bulky. Wash clothes are cheap and cute- even if you don't register for them you are guaranteed to receive tons of them as gifts...
Do I need a wipes warmer?
Unless you live in a sub-zero climate- NO. wipes warmers are a waste of space and they dry out your wipes very quickly. My twins never seemed bothered with room temp. wipes.

Which diaper rash cream/nipple cream is the best?
For disposable diapers-Boudreaux's Butt Paste is AMAZING.
Cloth Diapers- California Baby diaper ointment (I found at Target)
Nipple Cream- Lansinoh!!!

For me, I found the following absolutely necessary, but I had twins, so YMMV:
- A Moby wrap (and eventually moved to a mei tai when my girls got older)
- A good quality breast pump (register for storage bags if you think you'll use them... they're pricey)
- A safe place to set the baby down for when I was in the shower, etc (Swing, pack and play, bouncer.)
-Muslin swaddle wraps (I love aden + anais blankets)
-Car seat/travel system. The "click n go" bucket-style infant seats were a life saver with twins...
- A good infant "grooming" kit- nail clippers, bulb syringe, baby brush, thermometer

read.gifLibrarian, Wife and Mostly Crunchy Domestic Engineer. Mama to two little "birds"- ID di/di twin girls (3/09)twins.gif and a "fuzz" (2/11) babyboy.gif
Old 10-12-2010, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is so helpful and so was the link. I just added freezer storage trays for breast milk and baby food to my registry to reduce packaging/waste.

I was able to find some simple cloth diapers on the BRU website, and some of them got good reviews. I also found and registered for some things that aren't so cute, but I know we'll need - big bottles of eco-friendly detergent, eco-friendly stain remover, etc. They have some green items if you're willing to search around. I don't usually like to shop at big box stores, but we have relatives that will buy us stuff from there no matter what. I'd rather try to guide them with the registry!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:37 PM

You've gotten great advice on your specific questions, but I'll add my favorite baby things:

Amby Hammock
Miracle Blanket (best swaddling blanket ever! a lifesaver!)
Pouch sling for newborn stage
Temporal thermometer
Ergo for later on
Evenflo glass bottles with the rubber covers (no plastic worries and they wash up really well)
Ice cube trays to freeze baby-size portions of food for later

A really great stroller -- it's worth the money if you plan to have more children, so really research this. The stroller we bought 7 yrs ago is still like new & looks modern, even though it's been used and abused in every possible situation.

HTH!

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:41 PM

can I also suggest that you register for things that you will need not only for baby but for toddler hood and so on. Things like spoons, cups, bibs things,toys,gates things like that. They are stuff you will need but usually arnt too complicated to choose from (they wont have 50 different kinds of spoons like they will for wipes) Even practical things like soap,wipes, heck BRU even has baby board books and things.

I found with my 1st that it was a little less overwhelming to start there and then in time as I read the reviews and looked at what we needed for different items to add them online.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:46 PM

I'm also a first time mom and I am finding these answers awesome! Thank you so much for your feedback.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:02 PM

Going off the previous poster ... Add a wagon! It was so nice to have something new once the baby turned into a toddler My mom suggested it and my aunt got it for us. Love it! I suggested it to my cousin and she added it for her registry too. I bought it for her. Its also something you can use for a long time.

Janette - Mama to Adrianna born 2.27.07 and expecting another 2.17.11
Old 10-12-2010, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

You guys are amazing! I KNEW this would be the perfect place to ask. I am feeling better already!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 PM

When I was getting ready to register with my first baby, I took that BRU list and sat down with two different friends whose parenting I liked. They went through the list with me and crossed off a bunch of stuff and added stuff. That gave me a GREAT starting point. Then I could ask more specific questions (like this stroller or that one) online.

Laura, married to Daniel 12/16/2000
Claire b. 6/29/06 and Andrew b. 4/20/08 and #3 due 2/8/11!!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette712 View Post
Going off the previous poster ... Add a wagon! It was so nice to have something new once the baby turned into a toddler My mom suggested it and my aunt got it for us. Love it! I suggested it to my cousin and she added it for her registry too. I bought it for her. Its also something you can use for a long time.

Yes! I should have done this now that we're looking for a wagon for the two of them. We live 20 minutes from the beach, but even for the quick jaunt to the park, I would love this.

As an aside, does anyone know if you can use a wagon in lieu of a double stroller at theme parks/zoos/etc? I never see them, but I loathe the idea of a double stroller for someone as goofy at steering strollers as I am.

I'm Brooke!  I'm an avid knitter (ravelry:mamaaulait) and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my boy, River (9/2013).
Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 PM

There are hundreds of wagons whenever we go to the zoo, lol. I would assume they are fine at amusement parks as well.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 PM

Just wanted to add... took the 3 yr old for a wagon ride/walk the last couple of days and she looooves it. I get a good workout since there are some small hills around here and she gets fresh air.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Our zoo allows people to bring their own wagons and also has wagons for rent. I think its a great idea!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks everyone, for letting me hijack the thread momentarily to ask my wagon question! I prefer wagons SO MUCH to strollers for us, and this may give me the courage to pull the behemoth out of the closet and sell it.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

I know many of you don't really use your cribs but for those who do, any advice on selecting a crib mattress? I had no idea there would be so many options. Does a baby really care if there mattress is firm or super firm?

User Tag List