Anyone switch providers over 1/2 way through? Updated :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2010, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pretty frustrated with my midwife. She delivered my last baby and she was only ok. She worried that he was going to be too big and it almost seemed like she was inexperienced. The hospital I deliver at is mostly medicalized, but I have had 3 natural births there with little intervention. I am ok to deliver there again, but I would love something different. That being said at my last appointment we were discussing the issues I have been having and she actually said to me "watch this one be your c-section baby" ha ha ha. I did not think it was funny at all. I have fought very hard and worked very hard to have 5 unmedicated births, no episiotomies or tearing, and little intervention. I almost feel like I don't want her anywhere near me when I go into labor. There are two other midwives at my practice, one is nice enough, one I have not met. But I won't get to choose, it's whoever is on call.
My doula has recommended a different practice that she says have amazing midwives, and they deliver in a hospital that has a water birth option. Now that would be amazing. The problem is it's further away from me. My mw apt would probably take me 45-50 min to get to. It's all back roads vs highway and in New England in the middle of Feb that could be a problem. The hospital is about the same. I have never switched like this while I was pregnant. And I don't exactly adjust to change well . I think my dh would support whatever I decide, although we have not talked about it yet. I'm not sure if I am being overly sensitive about the comment. I would also really love to give birth in the water.
It makes me angry that women have to go through so much crap to have a good birth experience.
Any input would be appreciated.

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 06:16 PM

I switched at 28wks last time. But it wasn't too hard because the midwife I switched to I'd actually been in contact with since before I got pg, she was just waiting on hearing if she would still be covered by my insurance so I was seeing an OB nearby.

And this time I am going to try to switch clinics now. I've already had to be switched once when they found out it was twins and the midwife group I was seeing couldn't take me anymore. The hospital I'm delivering at has some public health clinics around the area and so I've been going to one closer to me so I wouldn't have to go all the way to the hospital for all my appts, but after today's appt I will not go back to that clinic. The dr that I have seen for my last two appts knows nothing about twins, couldn't answer my questions or even do an u/s properly and I wouldn't even trust him if I were low-risk. Plus I waited over an hour to be seen. So even though the hospital is further away I'm going to call and ask if I can be transferred to one of the high-risk OBs up there that I've heard good things about.

I'd say if you are unhappy with the care you are getting and have the chance to switch to better care than do it.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
Old 10-15-2010, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think you should at least interview the midwives at the other practice and get a feel for them. If it were me, I would almost certainly switch, or look into a homebirth midwife (I don't know if that's an option for you). Bad vibes are not something to be ignored, and that section joke sounds pretty unnerving to me. I know it's scary to think about changing at this point in your pregnancy but if this other practice really is all they seem to be then it would be so worth it, IMO. You deserve to finally have a birth where you don't have to fight for what you know your body is perfectly capable of doing.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 10-15-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat5505 View Post
I switched at 28wks last time. But it wasn't too hard because the midwife I switched to I'd actually been in contact with since before I got pg, she was just waiting on hearing if she would still be covered by my insurance so I was seeing an OB nearby.

And this time I am going to try to switch clinics now. I've already had to be switched once when they found out it was twins and the midwife group I was seeing couldn't take me anymore. The hospital I'm delivering at has some public health clinics around the area and so I've been going to one closer to me so I wouldn't have to go all the way to the hospital for all my appts, but after today's appt I will not go back to that clinic. The dr that I have seen for my last two appts knows nothing about twins, couldn't answer my questions or even do an u/s properly and I wouldn't even trust him if I were low-risk. Plus I waited over an hour to be seen. So even though the hospital is further away I'm going to call and ask if I can be transferred to one of the high-risk OBs up there that I've heard good things about.

I'd say if you are unhappy with the care you are getting and have the chance to switch to better care than do it.
We have a similar hospital system here, but yours sounds a bit better, at least as far as wait time goes. There are several small clinics and "low risk" women are seen at the clinics for prenatals and then go to the main hospital to give birth (though, just because I was on zoloft - freakin' zoloft - they considered me "high risk" and I had to go to the OB Complications clinic at the main hospital). At the clinics you'd be EXTREMELY lucky to only wait 2 hours to be seen (and that's ONLY at the outlying clinics that have less traffic), but on average it's a 4-5+ hour wait at any given clinic. And the main hospital is a MINIMUM of 8 hours. Good thing I was only going there until I found my midwife. I felt like I was just adding to the overpopulated world and that we were nothing special, I was just another cow with a fetus being herded along. Bleh.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 10-15-2010, 06:57 PM

I switched providers at about 20 wks with my last pregnancy and it was a great option. I'm very very glad I did it! I do drive an hour to see my mw but I am having a homebirth so I don't have to worry about driving anywhere while in labor. Would I drive an hour for a hospital and mw I felt far more comfortable with? Oh yeah! If you are comfortable you probably shouldn't be there. Follow your gut. I'd be very troubled by the c-sec comment in your place. Comments like that tend to mean, imo, that its something that's stewing in the back of the speakers head. She's already thinking you might need it. I agree with Smeep, interview the other mws and see how you feel about them. They might be the perfect fit for you!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

Old 10-15-2010, 07:04 PM

I would switch. You already dont feel very happy about her and that comment was totally uncalled for. I lucked out when it was our time to drive to the hospital for my daughter. Michigan weather cooperated on our 45 min drive. You're well experienced in birthing unmedicated so if you were stuck somewhere I bet you would do just fine I would definately check out the other practice of midwives and go from there. A water birth does sound amazing!

Janette - Mama to Adrianna born 2.27.07 and expecting another 2.17.11
Old 10-15-2010, 08:13 PM

I switched last time around 25-26 weeks to a home birth. So glad we did. It def. wouldn't hurt to interview some other midwives and bring up some of the specific things you've brought up in your dissatisfaction w/your current one.

It didn't affect my care adversely in anyway to switch.

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb
Old 10-16-2010, 09:39 AM

I posted on your thread on the main board- but I'm in the process of switching (gotta find the right HB MW first). And when we made the decision to switch it was like a great weight was lifted off my shoulders and my fears, panic and uneasiness disappeared immediatly!

From my exps the more umcomfortable you are going into the birth the worse till be and further from what you want it'll be.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:57 AM

I switched and glad I did. My midwife just ... she just wasn't the right one for me. She wasn't exactly sensitive and would just stand there and stare at me. She wasn't much help. So I switched midwife places and ended up with a high risk doctor. Ends up you get whoever is on call anyway at the hospital so it didn't matter. I got to meet like 5 of the OB's during my "stay"
Old 10-18-2010, 02:55 AM

With my second I switched at about 30 weeks. When I was living in Juneau, AK I usually did my initial visits with the regular doc. I felt more comfortable having them do the initial tests. I had blood in my urine and a low lying placenta with the second. After I had the 28 week ultrasound showing the the placenta issue was all cleared up I immediately switched to the midwives that I had gone to for my first delivery. So I guess technically I switched with both, but the second time I was much farther along.

Mommy to Layla 11/06, Eliza 5/08 and baby girl at the end of February....

Old 10-18-2010, 03:10 AM

I just recently switched drs about 4 wks ago after a Dr filling in for mine madd a comment that I too ding like. Let me tell you I couldn't be more pleased with my decision!! My new Dr and clinic are amazing and luckily for me much closer. I sympathize with OP as I live in new England as well tho in a big city. I think at the end of the day you have to feel comfortable with the person who is going to be responsible for health and safety of yourself and child. good luck and happy thot for u !!! I know how agonizing this can be.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I had a heart to heart with my dh about the situation. He said I was "past the point of no return" with my current mw. I also googled the distance issue and it turns out it is slightly closer if I change practices. So I gave them a call today and spoke to the receptionist (I personally think you can tell an awful lot about an office from the people answering the phones) and she was very helpful. I went ahead and switched and I have my first appointment next Friday. I am hopeful and nervous all at the same time, but in my heart I already feel so relieved. On the super bonus side I will get to have a water birth!

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 PM

yay, hope all goes well. you sound much more at peace

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Old 10-19-2010, 02:28 AM

Great! I hope it's a better fit!

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:07 PM

congrats! that sounds like the right option for you. And just wanted to day -- I switched with our first baby at 33 weeks because our OB made a comment like "well you don't know anything because you've never done this before" which set off a big warning bell even though I knew very little about childbirth the first time around. It was totally absolutely the right move...

bf-ing, family bedding, head-mostly-in-clouds mama to one awesome big boy (08/08), one angel (01/10), a crazy little boy (02/11) and two neurotic cats. New arrival in June?!!! Raising kids bilingual - EN/SP.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:39 AM

I am meeting with a mw next week and hoping she will take me. Distance is the issue here too.
If she doesn't I am changing from my doc to another anyway cause there is no way that fruit is coming near me again let alone touching my baby.

Michele, wife to my soul mate, hero and solider, momma to
K-03/98, B-01/00, D-03/02, M-09/03, TL-12/04, TM-09/06, I-10/08 edd 02/02/11
Old 10-22-2010, 10:08 AM

Congrats! Sounds like a great choice! I switched practices at about 26 weeks in my first pregnancy...I too live in a northern clime and am a bit nervous about an early March due date with an hour long drive to the hospital and 45 min. to my MW appts....there is a hospital right here I could go to but have heard really mixed things...I think the extra driving is worth it, and hopefully the weather will cooperate. Good luck, hope you have a great appt.! Doulas usually have great insights into this stuff....
Old 10-23-2010, 05:51 AM

Yay!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 04:43 PM

That's great! I'm glad to so far things seem to be headed in the right direction. I also think the staff you talk to is a good indication of how the people you are going to deal with act. Its definately a positive omen that the recptionist was helpful and nice, imo. And a waterbirth is always a good thing.

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

Old 10-26-2010, 06:05 PM

Good for you for switching! I ended up switching from an OB at 36 weeks to a midwife and did a homebirth (in water) with my first. It was a wonderful experience, and I felt so liberated that I had trusted my instincts and made the switch. I don't think you're at the point of no return until you're actually in labor!

User Tag List