VBAC - Eviction Date - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found out at my last appt. that the one set in stone rule the hospital I'm having this LO at has is that you cannot go past your due date with a VBAC. I'm due on 2/13/11 & it's kind of freaking me out feeling like I have a time limit to have this kid!

I've seen a few other people with VBAC icons in their sigs, does anyone else have an eviction date? I should say that I absolutely love my mw, dr., and the hospital is fantastic. But it sure threw me for a loop when I heard that it HAS to be out by a certain day.

My bday is 2/3, and I would LOVE for this LO to come after my bday. So I'm thinking I will start gettin' busy with DH & doing LOTS of walking as soon as my bday passes!

Christine, DH: Scotti, DS: Logan (2) - Baby #2 EDD: 2/13/11!
#2 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 04:06 PM

Wow, that's just ignorant of them, but typical . Even ACOG says that you aren't overdue until after 42 weeks. Can you find another provider? You provider will make or break your VBAC.

My OB's eviction date is loosely 42 weeks. I say loosely, becuase if all is well, you can talk him into a few more days. Honestly though, if I were to go beyond 42 weeks, I would find another plan. I don't see the point in doing a c/s based on dates, especially after all the work I'm doing preparing for it. He was my only option, as we don't have the out of pocket to pay a MW again.

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
#3 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Fortunately & unfortunately the only hospital in my area that allows VBACs is the one I am going to & they are actually the ones that have the due date rule. My MW & dr. are stuck with it, but my MW did tell me they can sometimes get away with a couple extra days by "forgetting" to schedule a c/s or having to bump a scheduled c/s in case someone else has an emergency.

I was just taken aback when they said s/he has to be out by a certain day. My DS was born a couple days before his due date, so hopefully this one will be good & get out on time.

#4 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 04:14 PM

I have heard of this There is one other hospital near me that does VBACs and they have the same policy, its why were traveling 45 mins instead of 25. My MW does induce after 42 weeks.

Could you talk to your MW about adjusting your due date up a week? otherwise I would look into a new provider most women go past their 'due date' I'd hate to see you forced.

Oh and DS was a failed induction at 41 weeks.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#5 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 04:52 PM

That's terrible! I am planning a homebirth with a midwife and I'm not considered "late" until I hit 42 weeks. Our local hospitals don't "allow" VBACs so I'm not sure what thier policy is. I don't think they can force you to induce, though I know that it's stressful to be in that kind of "fight" during pregnancy.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#6 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 04:56 PM

That's kind of a bummer.
How was your due date determined? Were you charting? or was this via US?
In this case, I'd be making sure that my due date was the latest possible date I could muster. I've not had a CS but I went to 41 weeks last time, and by my original OBs due date based from an early US, I was over 42 weeks... I knew that that was wrong, because I was neuroticly charting. I'm charting this time and my charting due date is the 8th buy my MWs wheel says the 11th, so I'll stick to that one...buys a few more days before people get weirded out.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#7 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 05:02 PM

I'm having my second vbac and when I had DS in 2007 I had to make a seperate appt to talk with an OB about how I was taking a risk and signed paperwork acknowledging the risk..... fast forward to 2010 and the same hospital had me sign papers saying that a vbac is safer and a better overall choice and if I want a repeat csection I am taking unneccesary risk! Then it listed all the risks with a csection. I was pleasantly surprised how they totally changed their attitude toward vbac and now try to talk women into that choice! We are getting somewhere!

As far as a date I can't go past, I haven't heard of that with my hospital. I plan on trying natural options at home once I get the sweep done by my NP when my cervix is ready. That's what I did with DS and my vbac last time. I have a fear of meconium or big baby due to past due as was my experience with DD where I had my section.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#8 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 PM

The DO I'm seeing for the birth actually lets you go to 42+5, which is amazing. I worry about going late because I'm high risk for pre-e, and I don't know how I'd handle going into post-dates, honestly. If I make it to term healthy, maybe I'll feel differently - I don't know. Seeing if you can make any adjustments might be helpful - it's definitely scary to feel like you've got a time limit!

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#9 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 05:07 PM
mcs

who comes up with these rules? and why-why-why!? it doesn't make sense.

someone else asked, but i was thinking too, that maybe your mw would be able to tweak your "E"dd. i've also heard people say, "well they can schedule me, but they can't make me come." I don't know if you would be comfortable with that, but it is an option.

hopefully though, this baby will follow suit and come a few days early!

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#10 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 05:11 PM

mcs, i would be afraid that if she didn't go in on her due date to get a C/S, then if she walked in 3 days later in labor they would give her a C/S immediately because they would think it is dangerous past her due date.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#11 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 05:22 PM

Have you seen this?

http://www.acog.org/from_home/public...07-21-10-1.cfm

I personally do not have any experience with vbac and it doesn't state anything about going past your ESTIMATED due date. It infustrates me to no end that women are pushed into having major surgrey instead of just letting nature takes it course.
#12 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 05:26 PM

My hospital had the same "rule". I was able to bargain my way out of it though by agreeing to an NST and U/S at 41 weeks. Maybe you could try that tactic?

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#13 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

At least my hospital isn't the only one. I'm grateful to have a hospital that allows VBACs at all, since I've had a few friends that couldn't find a hospital to birth at at all. But it IS scary to feel like I have some kind of expiration date on my pregnancy!

I am going to talk to my MW about adjusting my edd. It was determined through an u/s & my charting (my dd according to when I think I conceived would be 2/14 & my u/s dd put me at 2/14) so I think it's probably pretty accurate. I've considered the whole, "They can schedule my c/s but can't make me go in for it" thing, but like Lady Lilya mentioned, I'm concerned that I'd be rushed back for a c/s if I went in after my due date.

Luvtoknit - I hadn't seen that article. I may go in with some printed info just to support my case if I end up lobbying for a later edd or an extension or something. It sounds so crazy, an extension to my pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post
My hospital had the same "rule". I was able to bargain my way out of it though by agreeing to an NST and U/S at 41 weeks. Maybe you could try that tactic?
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely try that! It can't hurt to ask, right? At about 30 weeks I have to see my Dr. so he can clear me for the VBAC. He's supposed to go over all the other details with me, but my MW assured me that the policy is pretty lenient besides not going past your edd. My friend/birth coach is going with me to the appt. with me & I have a feeling if anyone will be able to convince them or bargain with them for a later scheduled c/s date, it will be her.

#14 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 07:21 PM

Just wait until the end and have a scheduling problem or get wishy washy then. They can't dump you at the end of your pregnancy and they can't force you to have a section.

-Angela
#15 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 09:43 PM

christine-- sorry you have to face that... that sucks! i hope your babe comes a few days early as your last one did, and even more than that, i hope you can find a way to not stress about it that would definitely throw one for a loop, and it's just amazing some places have these crazy rules....like we can just tell nature what's best. ha! when did that ever work?

hugs and support to you. i hope it all turns out exactly as you wish!
ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#16 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Just wait until the end and have a scheduling problem or get wishy washy then. They can't dump you at the end of your pregnancy and they can't force you to have a section.

-Angela
That may just be the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleybrook View Post
christine-- sorry you have to face that... that sucks! i hope your babe comes a few days early as your last one did, and even more than that, i hope you can find a way to not stress about it that would definitely throw one for a loop, and it's just amazing some places have these crazy rules....like we can just tell nature what's best. ha! when did that ever work?

hugs and support to you. i hope it all turns out exactly as you wish!
ashley
Thank you very much, I appreciate the support & I really hope that in the end, this baby just comes a couple days early so I don't need to worry about it!

#17 of 31 Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
they can't force you to have a section.
Yes, they can. And they do. OP, PM me if you'd like to read my FL VBAC-turned-coerced-ERC story. Maybe by reading my story, you'll pick up a few ideas on how to make "show up pushing" work for you.

Bring back the old MDC
#18 of 31 Old 10-28-2010, 10:42 AM

I've heard enough stories of force being used on a woman in labor to know that they CAN force you to have a section. And they can get away with it too.

I've heard of them getting a judge to issue a court order. Or simply restraining the woman and doing what they want. And even having security detain the husband so he couldn't help her fend them off.

#19 of 31 Old 10-28-2010, 01:17 PM

Sorry to jump on the downer train, too, but I've heard of lots of obs telling patients that they (the patient) has to do it the ob's way or to find a different provider-when said patient is 39 or 40 wks along. Considering what you said about your provider, OP, I don't think that would be the case, but it does happen.

I'd say try to bargain for time with a NST/ultrasound at 40 and 41 wks. Also a few scheduling problems around your due date might help at least get you an extra day or two. Since your mw said that they try to give some women a few extra days by "forgetting" to schedule, that could really work out in your favor!

I really hope you get your VBAC and that history repeats itself and this LO comes a few days early!! Its so stupid to put a time limit on nature and on babies. When baby is ready, baby will come!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#20 of 31 Old 10-28-2010, 01:18 PM

Here is all I can say....you have to sign your signature on a consent before they can section you...it is your right NOT to sign. Do not stress yourself out about this and if you get to that point then YOU can choose to sign or not sign for a C-section.

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#21 of 31 Old 10-28-2010, 01:42 PM

Alicia, they have been known to do c-sections without consent, and then get away with it after by justifying it to a judge.

Clovertine, there is a good chance you will give birth before your due date. If not, perhaps you can try to delay them while SOUNDING as cooperative as possible. Maybe you can stretch them a few days. If not, I would rather refuse to cooperate and take the chance that they force you into a c-section, rather than just walk in and let them. Even though SOME doctors will stop at nothing to do a c/s, most probably wouldn't do that.

#22 of 31 Old 10-28-2010, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I'm going for a VBAC too. I went "late" with my c/s son, so I am afraid of the same thing. My OB says she is okay up to 43 weeks as long as eveything looks okay. However, she has mentioned "big baby" as a ngative thing, and my last was "big" so I doubt I will be allowed to go much past 40 wks if the baby is measuring "big" (whatever that is... big can be different things to different people, so its totally absurd!)

Hang in there! You might go into labor at 38 weeks

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mommy to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), and two angel babies. 

#23 of 31 Old 10-29-2010, 03:36 PM

If it were me I would follow alegna's advice. Get wishy-washy, don't show, whatever. I'd get passive-aggressive and have car trouble, or not find child care, etc. If you give up and do what they want without a fight, they get what they wanted with no effort. And it sets a precedent and makes them feel they can bully any woman into doing whatever they want. It's YOUR body and YOUR health care dollars. Don't let anyone make you wheedle and beg for control over your own body.
#24 of 31 Old 11-06-2010, 06:27 PM

My practice is around 42 weeks. They will try a castor oil or cervical balloon induction before c-section though.
I work at a hospital where they have a 41 week rule. The day I interviewed, the L&D manager was telling me they had a mom down the hall having a NST because she was a VBAC who hit 42 weeks and was refusing the c-section. The L&D manager was "going to try to talk some sense into her" : but there was nothing else she could do.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#25 of 31 Old 11-07-2010, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm seeing an NMD for an HBAC, and by law I have to transfer to an OB if I hit 42 weeks. DD was induced/c-sec at 41 w 6days.

I'm pretty sure without the stress of facing the hospital (which wasn't what I wanted to do with the first one, either, but I couldn't afford a homebirth), I would have gone into labor sooner with DD.

So I'm trying to relax. Also I'm going camping for a week, ending the day before I'm due. If that's not tempting fate to set things in motion early, I don't know what is!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#26 of 31 Old 11-08-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovertine View Post
I found out at my last appt. that the one set in stone rule the hospital I'm having this LO at has is that you cannot go past your due date with a VBAC. I'm due on 2/13/11 & it's kind of freaking me out feeling like I have a time limit to have this kid!

I've seen a few other people with VBAC icons in their sigs, does anyone else have an eviction date? I should say that I absolutely love my mw, dr., and the hospital is fantastic. But it sure threw me for a loop when I heard that it HAS to be out by a certain day.

My bday is 2/3, and I would LOVE for this LO to come after my bday. So I'm thinking I will start gettin' busy with DH & doing LOTS of walking as soon as my bday passes!
If you haven't already, you should go post in the VBAC forum.

The rule is not "set in stone." As in, you can REFUSE induction or RCS. There is no reason why you MUST consent to induction or RCS. Simply refuse to do so. Or, on the day of, call and say, "Oops! Something came up! Gotta reschedule! I'll call you back when I know when I can reschedule for." And then don't call back. Keep rescheduling. There's NO reason to induce or RCS a VBAC just for being 40 weeks.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#27 of 31 Old 11-08-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
I'm going for a VBAC too. I went "late" with my c/s son, so I am afraid of the same thing. My OB says she is okay up to 43 weeks as long as eveything looks okay. However, she has mentioned "big baby" as a ngative thing, and my last was "big" so I doubt I will be allowed to go much past 40 wks if the baby is measuring "big" (whatever that is... big can be different things to different people, so its totally absurd!)

Hang in there! You might go into labor at 38 weeks
Tip: Don't go in for anymore ultrasounds unless there's a specific immediate concern. Don't GIVE them the chance to tell you "big baby."

Here is a lovely video that totally busts the "big baby" myth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFVkDV45MM

And, as I said to the OP, there is no such thing as "allowed." You do what YOU want. They can't force you into anything. If you are happy going to 42, 43 or even 44 weeks, they can't make you induce or RCS.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#28 of 31 Old 11-08-2010, 07:17 PM

DDCC---While my OB didn't give an exact "if you don't deliver by such and such then it's the knife for you" he did say he did not like "letting" VBAC patients go past their due date by too much. He used the reasoning that the baby would possibly be to big. However, my son was 8 days past due and he weighed 7lbs 12oz. I'm not going down without a fight if this baby tends to cook longer. I'm fortunate that I live literally a block from the hospital so if I have too I will stay at home until I'm ready to have this baby then roll up into L&D last minute.

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#29 of 31 Old 11-16-2010, 10:55 AM

I just checked into Feb 11 for the first time.  My hospital will let me go to 41 weeks with a VBAC.  I went into labor with my last son exactly at 41 weeks, so I'm hoping it won't be a problem with this one.  Either way, I have a full list of natural inductions and appointments scheduled for my due date.... chiropractor, accupuncturist, reflexology, and a castor oil milkshake.  I'd definitely try all those before going in for a C/S.

#30 of 31 Old 11-19-2010, 12:07 AM

First off reguardless of the rule, no one, no provider, no hospital can make you do anything!!  You can't be induced as a VBAC because it increases chances of rupture so they would just want you to schedule a C-section.   simply dont schedule one, or dont show up!  when you do go into labor are they not going to allow you into the hospital to give birth?  i think they make these rules and expect woman to just take it lying down.  if you make a fuss they will accomidate you.  they just arent used to someone standing up against their "genius".

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page