Mothering Forum banner

GD test next week....what to eat before?

873 views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  cagnew 
#1 ·
I know these threads pop up all the time in each DDC but my GD test is at 12 so no eating at least 2 hours before - what should I eat for breakfast that day? Anything to strictly avoid?

I usually have a cup of coffee w/non dairy creamer and a little agave and then either a fruit smoothie w/protein added, a bagel and piece of fruit or oatmeal...Last time I did the test it was right away in the morning so I avoided this whole question. Thankfully our midwife does the test so I don't have to go to a lab and I just have to drink the stuff (she gave it to me at the last appt) 20 before my appt w/her so I'll get to be moving around.

I seem to remember protein before and carbs the day before or something like that? I can't eat wheat so it's gluten free carbs like rice, millet & flax bagels/breads etc.

#2 ·
I would eat fat and protein, something like eggs cooked in butter (unless you're a vegan). Fat and protein helps glucose digest more slowly and evenly. I would eat them as closely as you possibly can to the test. For example, if it's at 12 and you can't eat for 2 hours before, I would eat as closely to 10 as possible rather than at say, 8 am.

I would personally avoid any carbs/sugar. I would also be ridiculously hydrated as well, and skip caffeine that morning.

ETA: Whoops, saw this in new posts, didn't realize I was crashing your DDC

#3 ·
I just talked with my midwife about this today, since my next appt is my GD test. She said no fruit or anything with sugar. High protein. Last time, I think I just had eggs or something. And a glass of milk. I'm not a big morning eater.

#4 ·
my test is next week at 11:30 am. I will be so hungary by the time it is done! I have been wondering the same thing about what to eat. i will have eggs for breakfast per the above suggestions, how long before the test should fruit, carbs, and sugar be avoided? Anything else to avoid?

#5 ·
They didn't give me any guidance this time other than I wasn't suppose to eat after dinner the night before. Luckily my test was at 9 in the morning. The time before the appointment wasn't until 1 and they didn't want me eating that day..

#6 ·
Mine's the week after next, and I was told that I didn't need to fast and to just eat whatever I normally would. There's not much point in my case anyway except CYA for the midwife since I have a family history of Type II diabetes.

My fasting blood glucose is in the 60s and goes up to a whopping 95 or so after I completely stuff myself with huge amounts of sugar. (Got bored and did my own GD test, I have a ton of leftover supplies from when I was on high-dose prednisone.)

--K

#7 ·
I flunked it once on a breakfast of oatmeal with sweet apples, raisins & brown sugar milk & coffee. I second the eggs thing that's what I had on the second try & I passed though I had coffee with milk too and passed. No toast or anything. I'd watch the night before too -- no yams with marshmellows or anything...my sis had that the night before and flunked! I've heard too that you can request to eat a breakfast -- two eggs cooked in butter, two pieces ww toast w/pat butter each & a glass of o j & milk rather than drinking that syrupy soda. I had never heard of this before but this time around I am going to inquire about it.

#8 ·
Just make sure you ask to do the "breakfast test" instead of the nasty soda drink test. THat way you can schedule your apt 1 hour after you eat breakfast and the breakfast is 2 eggs, a slice of toast, a glass of OJ and a glass of milk.

A lot of providers won't tell you about the "breakfast option" unless you speak up.

#9 ·
My midwife recommends eating a high protien diet and few to no empty calories for a few days before the test and then eating normally the day of. She offers a jelly bean option for women who don't want to do the syrup drink. Depending on what brand of bean you get, you can just gobble up something around 45 beans in the five minute time period. Personally, I'd rather just slam the drink!

#10 ·
Hm my birthing center offers glucola or to drink grape juice, which is what I will do. They said normal food, but I remember fasting for DS's test, cause that is what they did in Germany with the same amount of glucose in the drink, plus my sister was allowed to move around for an hour while the people in the Bay Area kept me hostage and didn't even want to let me go to the bathroom!!!
Anyways, the midwives gave me the bottle already during the last appointment, I have a 90-120 minute ride to Denver and can time it so I drink it about 1 hour out of Denver so I don't have to wait around at the office. I will not eat after midnight, duh I'm sleeping then anyways! And have a protein rich dinner with very little carbs. I'm not a breakfast eater (makes me queasy) so that won't be an issue at all for me. I will bring loads of water with me and be crazy hydrated though. I can eat after the test! A nice reason to go out to a good sandwich place, lol.

#13 ·
Well, in the US I was told to eat whatever I want beforehand. But since I witnessed my sister's test, it makes sense to me that if you eat before, your levels will be higher as it adds up! I'm not convinced at all the test should even be performed on low-risk mamas, but I have to or they are not allowed to see me as a patient anymore in the birthing center. Sigh!!!

Ughh, I threw up after the glucola drink too. Back then I didn't know I could ask for a substitute, I also expected them to do the same as with my sister (they mixed 100ml cold water with 50mg glucose I think, right there in front of us, so just sugar water, no gross additives or flavorings).

#14 ·
I declined the test. I figure if I am sick enough to require insulin I will know something is wrong and report it to my midwife. As it is a GD diagnosis doesn't really mean anything except for worry and stress. (as I see it at least).

Just being careful about what I eat and when I eat it.

I have been measuring 4-6 weeks ahead on fundal height all the way along so there it is something I am going to keep aware of for the remainder of my pregnancy.

#15 ·
Sounds like eggs and high protein before is the way to go. I'll keep the sweet things in check before hand anyways
I agree that it's not all that necessary of a test for low risk mamas, but I do have to do it. It's not that bad, I passed last time but did it early in the am so I just didn't eat after dinner.

For some reason, it's like the one thing I'm stressed over, prob. because it's the one test I really am doing.

#16 ·
I'm mostly vegan, so I have no idea what I'll eat next week. My test is in the middle of the day, too.

Unsweetened protein powder w/ soymilk? Sounds gross, but I guess it'll fill me up. Are all carbs out, or can you eat whole grains? Maybe I can switch it up and eat a big salad covered in nuts for breakfast. Any other suggestions?

#17 ·
I had the breakfast test and they were very specific about NO protien.
I had waffles, 1/4 maple syrup and orange juice and could have coffee with NO cream or milk.
I can't remember when I had my first test with the orange sugar drink...I'm sure I ate whatever before hand.

#18 ·
i'm surprised so many of you are doing it in the afternoon. With my provider they only schedule the apt for first thing in the morning so that you have already fasted before doing the 'breakfast' test and then you go in and get your blood drawn after 1 hour.

Remember you don't have to do the yucky (not very healthy) drink...just ask to do the breakfast version. I don't think they are allowed to not-let you.

#19 ·
I'm declining the test. I'm only 22 and my midwife told me that since I have virtually no risk factors for contracting GD that I might as well skip it if that's what I want. I have to say, drinking the glucola was one of the worst tests I did with my older child and I'm thrilled to be bypassing it this time.

#20 ·
My test is next week too. 830am. With my last baby I didn't have any instuctions with regards to eating and I passed. However, there is reason to believe that I might have had GD and the test missed it. This time I will fast. I will be praying for accurate results too. If I have it, I want to know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.