December chat; vents & encouragements & shameless plugs for support :) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 139 Old 12-28-2010, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Smeep :hug:  That sucks

Chula, you need Cocorro's.  Two of them.  They aren't buckets, but will take a tiny noob well.  They 3 across excellently and sound like they were designed for the situation you are in.  What is your older child sitting in?

GBS is a pelvic in the US?   Here they send you to the bathroom with the swab and instructions.

Had my first post-midwife doctor's appt.  Luckily my doctor is very supportive and great and loves that I want to do things outside the box.  And she's committed to getting me out of the hospital ASAP (6 hour minimum stay, last time I was out in 8).  Still sucks though.

It feels a whole lot closer from this side of Christmas, I have to say! 

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#122 of 139 Old 12-28-2010, 12:06 PM
mcs

i am also having trouble being assertive with my obgyn/midwife pair. i want to believe that they know better/are more thoughful about what they are doing than in america, but it is all still more medical than the prenatal care with my other two in america (with whom i had midwives- here, you have to have a dr. too.)  i find myself working hard on language and not hard enough on figuring out what is going on. i had an appointment today and the dr. checked me for dialation- which i don't want either. at the same time she swabbed me (which she has done at everyother appointment) to make sure that i am not starting a yeast infection.  i don't remember ever being checked for this in america- have i just forgotten? i think that i will just say no to everything next time.

on the issue of inductions though--- i really like the idea of having your prenatal care provider, who knows you, at the birth, but in reality, unless you have a midwife or a very special dr., they won't come until the end anyway.....so, then, i think that the system at our hospital of having a totally seperate staff makes sense- it takes away the dr's reason to induce for convience.

trekkingirl- my husbands recolections are different too, but i also (mostly) stick to my own.

emy- i am really sorry that you have to go through so much drama during your pregnancy. it seems like you need to try to talk to your mom in a really heartfelt way and maybe just leave your sister out of everything as much as you can. my sister got pregnant at the very end of highschool and my ultra-conservative family convinced her to hide out in our house for the whole "showing" part of the pregnancy and then give the baby up for adoption when it was born. but.....she ended up giving birth very early and falling in love with her little sick baby- who is now my 16 yr old beautiful, wonderful neice. i was 16 at the time of her birth and it was intense- her pregnancy had been a family secret and a sorce of huge shame for everyone (certinly my sister the most,) and now suddenly, we had a baby coming home to live with us- and the news of it to tell the world about. my dad, who is "distant" at the best of emotional times, was undone. he slammed around building materials, splitting the basement into the new home of my sister and neice, for the days before they came home and didn't speak to anyone, let alone hold or make an effort towards the baby, for many weeks.....this is long, but it is all to say that it didn't last long! babies are just too danmed cute to be ignored. i think that the years when they lived with my parents were some of the happiest times for my family and my neice has a sort of emotional understanding that is amazing and beyond her years- a true healer. i bet that if your mom doesn't change her mind before, she will be soon melted. in the mean time...hugs.

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#123 of 139 Old 12-28-2010, 01:28 PM

my experience with the GBS testing here in the US is not a vag exam at all. Both times I have been tested it was with a q tip type swab that was slid front to back like a credit card swipe across my private parts. Takes about two seconds and that's it.

I'm glad that my DH isn't the only one with a different recollection of the last birth. I thought maybe he was right and my memory was distorted. I have been known to have a really bad memory. Honestly I bet it seemed so much longer to him because he had to watch me be in pain. That's got to be really hard to watch someone you love in pain knowing that you are directly responsible. I'm hoping for a fast labor this time. My last was 24 hours from first contraction to baby in arms. Anything less than 24 hours would be great!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#124 of 139 Old 12-29-2010, 06:45 AM

@ mcs: There are very medically minded doctors in Germany... My sister had prenatal care with a perinatologist and had ultrasounds at each visits, lots of Terbutaline and many more things I totally refused. You can refuse those easily though in Germany, I never heard of anyone being fired for non-compliance like it happened to me in June! The key is just hiring a midwife and not even going the obgyn route, that's what I would do living back home.... My other sister had a midwife and obgyn, and while she still had u/s at every appointment (cause she wanted to, for the photo album) she said no to a lot of things he wanted to do without any trouble, the midwife in the practice was his wife. Overall I'd say there are better hospital wards over there, with water tubs nearly everywhere and midwives on staff, but many medical guidelines are the same as in the US (saline lock, GD and GBS testing, ultrasounds, and so forth)... It's not perfect....

@ Emy: I'm sorry, that's terrible. Hugs!

GBS.... In CA the obgyn did a pelvic exam - checked dilation and then swabbed for GBS... This time the midwives just let me do it in the bathroom... Which I am happy about. I'm not fond of stir-ups and pelvic exams and such.... I have no idea how that is done in Germany btw. I should ask my sisters...

#125 of 139 Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 AM
mcs

nia, it is really nice to have a german/american connection here. we acctually have a lot of german friends in america, but somehow, they are all german husband/american wife couples- not much help for comparisons on baby related questions....i thought that my dr. was a good choice b/c she was recomemned to me by two seperate women who i assumed were pretty "alternative," and on our first visit, she seemed very relaxed. i think that she is, in some ways, a relaxed dr.- she is even does accupuncture and is certily not pushing for any medicines but, she does want to do a lot of vaginal exams and sonograms- and during our last sonogram, she sped through the looking at the baby to look at the way the stats for size ect. looked. it was a little funny to see how giddy she got while looking at the charts- and she couldn't seem to understand why dh and i were not as impressed. lol. but, it is great to hear that i don't have to be nervous about saying "no."

but wait! i was talking to my dh last night about all of this and  said that maybe the reason i don't question more things aloud is b/c everytime she sais the word "muttermunt" (calling my cervix "mother mouth,) i start to think "really? really? can i misunderstand this??" lol. he sais, though that he feels like the word comes more from the "mouth" of a river than a mouth for eating/talking....what do you think? either way, i think that i am going to work on starting a new name for it.....

back to the GBS- i think that she just does a swab too, but it is always included in a vaginal exam and i don't remember having it done at all in america.

twinklefae- i am happy to hear that you have found such a good dr. still sorry that you don't get your homebirth....but it seems like you are finding a quick peace with it.

i agree about the time.... oh my!

#126 of 139 Old 12-29-2010, 01:21 PM

wow! i've only been gone for a bit and there's been lots going on! we're finally connected as of this morning! :) so good to be able to just jump online! well, the sun appeared and the move happened! i'm happily sitting at my desk in the new house! 

i was reading back through the posts and someone posted they're 35 weeks! wow, that just sounds right about there! i'm 32 weeks + a few days, and it seems like so much less than 35, but it's not. crazy, crazy...babies are coming soon! my babe has been growing the last week... i look down and i can't believe my big round belly! :) it seems like a costume!!!

i had my first baby shower when i was home with my family, very private and intimate with just some of my aunts and cousins, mom and sis. it was such a special time...and now i need to write a few thank you's. i really loved just being able to share being pregnant with the family. i only get back about once a year, so it was really nice that my mom got to put her hand on my belly and feel the babe dance! what special memories!

my sister is officially married, and my high heel of 10 years broke just as we were arriving...so, after the ceremony i had a wonderful excuse to switch out my heels for my comfortable flats!!! i was so grateful they broke! the wedding was beautiful by the way, and my sis is quite happy!

is everybody loving these last weeks of pregnancy...i'm doing pretty great, but sometimes my pelvic region/pubic region/vagina region is uncomfortable...and for some reason last night i just felt big and had difficulty moving around in my sleep...i woke up a bit grumpy, but i've got to say that i've been feeling really good, even with in-laws, moving, flying, wedding and unpacking! btw, i've unpacked all the boxes except the garage boxes, which is in my dh's organizing hands!  smile.gifit's good to be pretty settled!!! happy last weeks of pregnancy everyone! thumb.gif

ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#127 of 139 Old 12-29-2010, 01:52 PM

Ive had both experiences with the GBS test. With the baby I delivered in California (Camp Pendleton), they gave me the kit and had me do it in the bathroom. Here they did it themselves and asked if I wanted to be checked at the same time. No thanks, I'm really not interested. Even though I was originally told I wasn't going to have it done this time because I tested positive they decided to test me anyway (just in case there are complications at birth a negative test will make it less likely its GBS according to the doctor) so next time I have to do the test. I don't know which way they are going to do it this time but I'm going to make sure my girls stay at home with their dad instead of having my oldest come with me to hear the heartbeat like I was going to. Appointment after that the doctor wants to do an ultrasound to verify the baby is heads down (they will not under any circumstances deliver a breach baby over here), I know he is, even the doctor said he is but he wants to double check just in case.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#128 of 139 Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 PM

I measured 46 wks today ! OMG these boys must be huge!

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#129 of 139 Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 AM

Chula last week I measured 38 weeks! I am 32 weeks this week. I go back to the dr next week. I feel like my belly wont stop growing!!!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#130 of 139 Old 12-30-2010, 07:07 AM

I just got the rest of my records from DS's pregnancy and I measured 33cm at 36 weeks, no wonder he was so little, at least this time I measure right on (34cm at 33 weeks 4 days), so maybe maybe maybe DD will be at least 7 pounds, that would be awesome! I think for twins you guys are measuring great!

@ mcs: I know lots of doctors like that in Germany, they prescribe accupuncture or homeopathics but still are overly cautious... My sister didn't have a swab done all the time, but she had those gloves from the Apotheke that have a pH indicator on them and if it goes basic, it indicates a vaginal infection... And all the ultrasounds... I'm confident that midwives can just tell by touching mama's belly how baby is positioned... Mine at the birthing center can, they don't even recommend a third trimester ultrasound without any medical indication...

Muttermund, I think your husband might be right from where the word comes from. My DH always makes fun of all the German words for body parts (he speaks German) and complains why we don't use Latin words like in English, but that's doctor language in German (seriously, it's a Kniescheibe DH, not a patella!).... I only know one couple with a German husband in the US, all the other ones are German wives and American husbands. It already occurred to me that men are less likely to leave their homecountry... I have little comparison about birth too, I only can tell from the online communities and my sisters, though they chose obgyn-hospital births with some midwife support, which is the most interventive thing possible. None of my friends have kids yet (it's unlikely before 30) and one is pregnant, but "due" a day before me. I can already tell her obgyn is quite intrusive, she has had cervical checks at 20 weeks (!!!) and non-stress tests starting at 30 weeks, without any indication of preterm labor or anything else. But that's an old-school East German obgyn, she sort of sounds like still doing things like 30 years ago!

My MD sister thinks little of birthing centers and finds homebirth dangerous.... She already freaked out that I only had one ultrasound (22 weekish, to ensure proper organ development and find out the gender), that I do not have regular non stress tests... On the other hand, she feels the GD test is unnecessary, thinks painkillers and epidurals should only be used sparingly, is for delayed cord clamping and extended breastfeeding... So my overall impression is while someone might appear crunchy, there are not all the way mothering-style. ;)

#131 of 139 Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Mama View Post

Chula last week I measured 38 weeks! I am 32 weeks this week. I go back to the dr next week. I feel like my belly wont stop growing!!!

Having twins is so crazy! i always measure big because i have big babies but this is ridiculous LOL

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#132 of 139 Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post

Smeep :hug:  That sucks

Chula, you need Cocorro's.  Two of them.  They aren't buckets, but will take a tiny noob well.  They 3 across excellently and sound like they were designed for the situation you are in.  What is your older child sitting in?

GBS is a pelvic in the US?   Here they send you to the bathroom with the swab and instructions.

Had my first post-midwife doctor's appt.  Luckily my doctor is very supportive and great and loves that I want to do things outside the box.  And she's committed to getting me out of the hospital ASAP (6 hour minimum stay, last time I was out in 8).  Still sucks though.

It feels a whole lot closer from this side of Christmas, I have to say!

My older son is in a graco my ride 65, I wonder if i could fit two cocorro's in the back seat with the graco?

#133 of 139 Old 12-31-2010, 07:20 PM

bump

I ran into a dear friend I haven't seen in over a year today. She told me her son is expecting a boy in March. Since I am having a girl I decided to give her all my boy baby clothes that I had collected before finding out the sex. Feels good to have someone who needs them around. I hate giving good stuff to a thrift store.

DH is starting his 2 weeks of vacation tomorrow to help me set up the house for Aubrey's arrival. Hopefully I can rest and give directions. That's the plan anyways. I've had a lot of prodromal labor and I won't be comfortable with doing much until I reach at least 36-37w. Since starting my maternity leave early, my 7yo DD has even stepped up and has been helping out with DS and the chores a lot.

The simplest little tasks have made me totally exhausted lately. I went to Target and made a baby registry today. My kids were really good and helpfull but it just totally wiped me out.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#134 of 139 Old 01-01-2011, 02:31 AM
mcs

me too trekkingmom- i am sitting here, taking a break from breakfast and a little house clean up. i have to squeeze every drop of energy to get things done. i was hoping to get a break over dh's christmas holiday, but other than my one day in bed, it hasn't really been what i had hoped for. he has been sick the whole time and... yesterday, actually, we had a big argument about how i have the same cold (the kind that makes you feel like you are in a pressure container and fogged out) only....i really am carrying 25 extra pounds- it isn't just a feeling....he wasn't very nice about it all, but then took the girls to the store and came back with a new face and really tried to be more helpful. too bad i didn't start that argument at the begining of the vacation!

also- i bet your friend felt the way i did when the colleage of dh gave me those boxes of clothes the other day.....another christmas!!

#135 of 139 Old 01-01-2011, 06:37 AM

Me three!   I got myself and DS showered and dressed yesterday and then I wanted to cry.  I was so tired and I hadn't really done anything!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#136 of 139 Old 01-01-2011, 04:25 PM

I am desperately looking forward to this "nesting" thing.  I always think today is going to be the day that I am productive but then I get exhausted and my feet swell up and my body hurts.  Blah.  My baby shower is Saturday and we have family coming into town that have never seen our house and will be coming over to at least see the nursery.  I am SOOO excited but I have no idea how I am going to clean up this Christmas mess before this weekend.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#137 of 139 Old 01-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post

Me three!   I got myself and DS showered and dressed yesterday and then I wanted to cry.  I was so tired and I hadn't really done anything!

I have to rest for awhile after I shower...it's pitiful mecry.gif

#138 of 139 Old 01-01-2011, 06:31 PM

Im glad (and not glad at the same time) Im not the only one totally exhausted. Every little thing is making me really tired, the house is a mess, the kids are stir crazy and all I want to do is sleep. I haven't even done any real baby prep so I have a huge list of things that NEED to get done.. I hope I get more energy otherwise Im going to be in trouble by the end of this pregnancy when nothing is done still and the baby is here.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#139 of 139 Old 01-01-2011, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank you all for the support. smile.gif I think I just mostly needed to vent. I'm feeling better now.

Shouldn't we have a January thread starting now? orngtongue.gif

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page