December chat; vents & encouragements & shameless plugs for support :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 139 Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since it's almost December I thought get this started!

Got back from FL late Sunday. We had a good time, but I'm happy to be home. I can't believe it's December! I can't believe we will be having our babies so soon!

Thanksgiving was a little bitter sweet for me, I had my last m/c just before our Tgiving trip last year. I felt especially grateful this year. It took almost 3 years to get pregnant again after my first m/c.

I am having a serious hard time with my lower back and hips. I have not been sleeping much. My MW suggested going to a chiropractor. So I did and now I am going to be seeing him 2x a week along with a physical therapist. My body is apparently shot from having so many kids! I am hoping to get some relief and for it not to get worse. She told me there is no stability back there and I could also separate my pelvis in the front too, that does not sound fun.

I am planning on starting my baby laundry next week. That makes me pretty excited.

I hope everyone is doing well and holding up OK. I know some of you are going through some very difficult times and I sympathize and offer my support :) Lets keep cooking these babies.

Oh and I wanted to tell all the first time mamas that you might be wondering if your body will EVER be the same again. And the answer is yes - almost. Things will shift a little but at some point you will feel normal again. I say this because in all my swollen glory I have to remind myself I have btdt and it will happen.

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

#2 of 139 Old 11-30-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytoallh View Post

Oh and I wanted to tell all the first time mamas that you might be wondering if your body will EVER be the same again. And the answer is yes - almost. Things will shift a little but at some point you will feel normal again. I say this because in all my swollen glory I have to remind myself I have btdt and it will happen.

Here's what I want to know about body changes - will my boobs ever shrink down again?  I was already a D-cup by high school and now they feel like they're growing out of control!  Do they get a little smaller again when you're done nursing?

Just had my baby shower and now we're trying to rearrange the house to accommodate all the baby stuff.  Only two more weeks of classes and grading and I'm done teaching for the year!  Whew.  I've been wanting to nest, but not having much time.  So much to do!  I love building things, so I can't wait to put together the changing table and co-sleeper bassinet.  In my other life, I'm one of those people employed by Ikea to visit people's homes and construct their furniture for them.  

DP seems extra nervous, like it's all becoming more real for him.  He's worried about doing a good job, which I think is endearing.  His family used to call him the Pied Piper because his nieces and nephew lovingly followed him everywhere, so I'm sure he'll do just fine.  We plan to do the pain coping exercises from Birthing From Within over the Christmas break.  Anybody find these helpful?  Does a Bradley book include stuff like this?

#3 of 139 Old 11-30-2010, 04:25 PM

For me, it took a while once I stopped nursing but my boobs did get smaller. And smaller. And smaller. Ended up smaller than before I got pregnant.

Mommy to Layla 11/06, Eliza 5/08 and baby girl at the end of February....

#4 of 139 Old 11-30-2010, 05:39 PM

After two years of nursing, when I weaned, I was smaller than I was before I got pregnant. Of course I weaned in the first trimester of this pregnancy so they're already exploding out of my shirt again.

Mama to Iris, born 7/31/08, and Elliott, born 1/28/11!    Photoblogging a year in my daughter's life at iris365.wordpress.com and my son's first year at elliott365.wordpress.com
#5 of 139 Old 11-30-2010, 06:53 PM

Same. Smaller than before pregnancy, now growing back. ;) I have had some crazy changes (started 32C, went to 36D, back down to 32B, now getting big again).

#6 of 139 Old 11-30-2010, 08:35 PM

Oh so small and sad and flappy.  Like a hound dogs ears.  BUT I am sure yours will remain perky and full.  Sheepish.gif

I am getting a tad worried about this upsidown baby.  Need to do more spinning baby research.

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
#7 of 139 Old 12-01-2010, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

After baby is born my boobs do get bigger, then they eventually get a little smaller, then about the same size as pre-pregnancy before my first and then sadly they disappear into almost nothing but an empty change purse...

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

#8 of 139 Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 AM

Arrhh I'm freaking out today. I am toxoplasmosis negative. So I avoided the litterbox, all raw meats and such so far. Yesterday I cooked flat iron steak for 20 minutes in the pan, the inside was still medium, so I cut thin strips (1cm, maybe 8mm) and microwaved it for a minute on high. It was still red, so I did another minute. I ate it and at the end some of it looked still medium. I freaked out and induced vomiting about 1 hour after eating, yikes, I am so worried about toxo. It is the worst case to contract it in the third trimester, now I have to wait before I can take a blood test. It's like sitting on hot coal. My midwives said to relax and that we can test the blood during the next appointment but that the risk is very low and more a risk with pork than beef and that many pregnant women still eat raw meats and don't wash their veggies right and stuff. I feel so silly. And scared!

#9 of 139 Old 12-01-2010, 09:24 AM

I had a pretty exhausting Thanksgiving. Drove 7 hours each way, but at least there were 2 full days in between. Everyone there ended up sick, and we are kind of feeling it now. My body tends to be in better shape after I have a baby, due to nursing I'm sure...I lose the baby weight within 2 weeks or so and then it just keeps coming off after that over the next few months. I'm hoping that will coast me towards a good weight, and once I am able, exercise and eat better than I used to. I've always had big boobs, and I've been either pregnant or nursing (or both) for the past 4 or 5 years so they haven't gotten any smaller, I'm currently a 38G/F. I'm hoping after I'm done nursing this one they will shrink away to nothing so I can wear shirts with built in bras and stuff. hopmad.gif

Thanksgiving was a little bitter sweet for me too, last year at Tgiving I was pretty sure I was pg, but we weren't ready to tell anyone yet. The day wore me out and my back hurt for weeks afterwards, thought it was pg related and when all was said and done it turned out to be the partial molar pregnancy...Christmas will be the same way,  we had already told people about it. Tgivng was hard because it was the day we got the faint lines...It's easier now though to think/talk about the pmp. It doesn't haunt me like it used to. Just think about this new baby girl and how much I can't wait to meet her :)

Lisa, wife to Jacob, mom to DS Ryan (4), DD Clover (2.5) and DD Mae (born 2/3/2011)
#10 of 139 Old 12-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Thanksgiving was fine over here.  Same old deal.  I don't "get/understand" Thanksgiving at my in-laws because my MIL always insists on making the whole spread and then complains when my DH and I leave later because she didn't get to spend any time with my daughter since she was in the kitchen all day, and couldn't we spend the night?  We live 20 minutes away and she watches my daughter while I am at work 5 full days a week, I don't think she's really going to forget her.  Also, if its that important, get the hell out of the kitchen and let's do that take-away stuff from the grocery store.

I am having KILLER round ligament pain all of a sudden.  As in, it's hard to walk.  The midwife thinks I may have strained those muscles because of all the junk I have to push around at work (I work at a library and I push a lot of book carts) and from walking the dog a little overzealously.  I greatly look forward to this part being over, but I attempted to console myself by eating 9 Danish butter cookies in a sitting, 'cause I'm classy like that!  FYI, the butter cookies

Weighing in on the breast size issue:  mine went down but they altered in shape.  I went up to a 42H from a 40DD in my first pregnancy and had just gotten used to my now angled normal-sized breasts when I got pregnant again.  My older is still nursing, but I don't think she's getting much, but my breasts are back up in size, though not that gigantor 42H that they were.  I don't wear bras anymore so it's hard to gauge exactly how much, but it's not as much.

After all of my negativity, I want to say we're all doing a great job and a big shout-out of love and encouragement to everyone!  We are ALMOST there!  Right after Christmas and then ~poof!~ we'll all have happy birthing stories!!

I'm Brooke!  I'm a breastfeeding advocate and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my new baby boy, River (9/6/2013).

#11 of 139 Old 12-01-2010, 04:02 PM

My boobs also got smaller when I was done nursing my first.  Not considerably smaller, though, but they also weren't as perky which made them seem smaller. 

I'm doing alright these days, but I've been noticing my uterus sometimes feels sore at the top right side (right under my rib cage)...not sure why.  Anyone else ever experience this?

#12 of 139 Old 12-01-2010, 06:26 PM

Things are good here, other than seasonal sicknesses we all keep passing around.  I just started an antibiotic for a sinus infection today.  Hopefully I will be back on my feet soon.  I sent the past 2 days washing baby laundry - which was wonderfully sweet.  Love folding all those little clothes, and remembering son my other babies wore.

I just had mini breakdown.  I walked into the bathroom and lifted my shirt to see my belly.  I started crying.  Crying that this is it.  This is my last pregnancy.  I want to slow down time to enjoy every stage, knowing they go by so quickly.  With the holidays and all their hoopla, it just feels like it is all going to go by in the snap of a finger and I will never have this again.  Ugh, crying with a cold, is adding fuel to the fire....

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html
#13 of 139 Old 12-01-2010, 09:13 PM

As a first time mom, I'm relieved to hear our bodies go mostly back to normal, and definitely relieved to hear about the boobs shrinking too.  I was already like, "woah these are big" when I finally got into a D cup, pre-preg.  Now I'm up from 38D to 40E.  And I use one of those bra-extenders, too.  I had to measure my bust (a friend is making me something), and it was 44.  JEEZ!

Quote:
DP seems extra nervous, like it's all becoming more real for him.  He's worried about doing a good job, which I think is endearing.  His family used to call him the Pied Piper because his nieces and nephew lovingly followed him everywhere, so I'm sure he'll do just fine.  We plan to do the pain coping exercises from Birthing From Within over the Christmas break.  Anybody find these helpful?  Does a Bradley book include stuff like this?

Cactuspear, my husband is doing the same thing, and I think it's really sweet too.  He doesn't have any Pied Piper experience, but I'm betting my guy will do great all the same.  I need to get reading on Birthing From Within, haven't gotten very far yet.  But I'm taking a Bradley class, and we did the squeezing ice cubes to simulate a contraction thing.  It was kind of crazy!  I'm glad we did it.  I felt some fear right before we did it, and I was pretty good at staying relaxed, and hubby did great at reminding me, and rubbing me too.  It was very interesting!

Oh, and our Thanksgiving went well too.  This year it was just the two of us, thank goodness.  We haven't had that in years, because his family always comes to town and we always go to Disneyland.  Which should be great, except his sister and her husband indulge their daughter in everything she could ever want and there are screaming tantrums (and this kid is 9 years old), and it exhausts me.  So I was quite pleased to skip that this year!  We both had colds so we stayed in and ate some easy to prepare turkey, green beans, etc, and watched The Walking Dead, the zombie series on AMC.  It was a lot of fun!

Quote:
My midwives said to relax and that we can test the blood during the next appointment but that the risk is very low and more a risk with pork than beef and that many pregnant women still eat raw meats and don't wash their veggies right and stuff. I feel so silly. And scared!

Aw that is scary, nia82!!  I hope everything comes back totally fine and very quickly.  I'd be freaked too, but the good news is you're probably totally fine!  smile.gif

Happily married to my best friend, and nature loving mama treehugger.gif of one sweet boy (Feb 2011). femalesling.GIF

#14 of 139 Old 12-01-2010, 09:34 PM

All these descriptions of post-pregnant/breastfeeding breasts are cracking me up. Hound dog ears? Empty coin purses? You ladies are awesome. I'll add my tea cups to the club. Because that's about all I'd fill up before I got pregnant again, Granny's teacups!

Mama to Iris, born 7/31/08, and Elliott, born 1/28/11!    Photoblogging a year in my daughter's life at iris365.wordpress.com and my son's first year at elliott365.wordpress.com
#15 of 139 Old 12-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosce View Post

All these descriptions of post-pregnant/breastfeeding breasts are cracking me up. Hound dog ears? Empty coin purses? You ladies are awesome. I'll add my tea cups to the club. Because that's about all I'd fill up before I got pregnant again, Granny's teacups!

They are unfortunately all perfectly accurate descriptions... Haha. I was an A cup before babies... C cup while nursing, a floppy A after weaning... And now I am a C again. So I don't know what this means for how big my nursing boobies will be. I'd be happy with a D, but I'm petite so I think a DD would KILL me. haha.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#16 of 139 Old 12-02-2010, 12:47 AM

Ok, today is seriously making me rethink the whole "I love kids" thing.. so far Ive been hit, kicked and bite. had to deal with a good 40 tantrums, my oldest got into sharpies and "colored" herself and her sister. My youngest got into my sewing supplies and cut her hair, they also cut a hole in the bodice of the dress Im wearing for pictures. Oh yea, we are suppose to take pictures this weekend so somehow I have to fix sharpie, hair and the dress by Saturday.. I really just want to curl up and cry, specially since morning sickness has been horrible today.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#17 of 139 Old 12-02-2010, 03:39 AM

:hugs Okimom.

My breasts got smaller, but were still bigger and longer than pre=pregnancy, once I weaned DS.

I've got HUGE pelvic pain all of a sudden, and since everything says to baby it as much as possible, I'm feeling unusually useless. 

Had a midwife appt. yesterday and it went really really well.  My GTT was fine, my Iron was a bit low so I'm upping the amount of Floradix I'm taking.  *sigh* I've been dealing with constipation this week so now I"m feeling like I'm never going to GO again.  TMI?

Other than that things are good - I really like the two midwives left at the practice, and they seem to like me, and I got to talk about my issues with the midwife who 'left' and that felt good.  I'm really beginning to feel like I can trust them again, which is huge. 

My ultrasound is coming up, and I'm both excited and terrified.  I've never had one, and I DON"T want to know gender under any circumstances.  They aren't supposed to tell, and the midwife is going to stress it on the paperwork, but it's still making me a little bit anxious.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#18 of 139 Old 12-02-2010, 10:33 AM

@ Twinkle: No worries they ask right away if you want to know and would never say a word. But maybe ask them to tell you when they look at the gender area, cause you can totally tell a boy, seriously. You would know.

@ Okimom: I know how you feel... Though I just have one at home who didn't even wreak half as much havoc, he decided to start his "terrible twos" and just really is pushing is boundaries. I know it is normal, but frigging exhausting, considering DH is never ever home. :( Btw I colored myself with Sharpies when I was 3.... took 2 days of scrubbing, and they resorted to vinegar... my mom wasn't pleased... cough cough)

@ Meg: I have to wait til December 17th for the blood draw and then the results, and if it's there one can take antibiotics. I called the base doctor (my primary care guy) and he thought it is next to impossible to get it from the meat that was cooked and microwaved but still red, he was s o confident that he didn't even think a test is worth it. My midwives think it is rare too, but to appease me will do the test. Basically I could have gotten it from poorly washed salad at a restaurant, I mean the small chance for all of us is out there, which is why in Germany they test twice for it in pregnancy to detect an infection (it is symptomless to mom). But even if it is there, antibiotics can help, and only a small chance of kids have a bad case, so I feel a tad better right now. But here and there I get panic attacks, then I feel fine for a couple hours. Baeh I want 2 weeks to pass really quickly.

#19 of 139 Old 12-02-2010, 02:20 PM

Thanks Nia.  They technically aren't allowed to tell you at all, so it shouldn't be an issue, but apparently sometimes it slips.  And I don't want to look at all I kinda think ultrasounds are creepy-looking.

hug.gif to you too.  It's not something I personally would worry about - I had no idea you weren't supposed to eat regular steak (ie. cooked medium-rare for me) while pregnant til you posted that.  I've done it during both pregnancies since I crave steak - low iron levels much? lol.gif - and never had a problem. 

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11

#20 of 139 Old 12-02-2010, 04:49 PM

Twinkle, just make sure that you tell the tech when you walk in that you DON"T want to know the gender.. Also tell them your husband/partner doesn't want to know (sometimes Ive heard of them "oopsing when one wanted to know but the other didn't).. The tech I had this time asked twice before she said anything but it was so obvious I would have guessed it even if she didn't say anything!

nia- I might end up resorting to something today. We are suppose to be taking pictures tomorrow and right now they look like they have some sort of terrible disease.. Ughs! Why do they always do things right when its the worst time for them too????

DH's co-workers aren't the brightest they called twice last night.. once at midnight and once at 1am.. who calls a pregnant womans phone in the middle of the night?? Usually I wouldn't care but the reason was stupid. If it isn't something that an emergency enough to call him to work or it isn't something he can do about it at home then don't call.. Wait until the next morning! I did keep my cool though, luckily for that guy.. DH is going to have a talk with them today about the proper reasons to call someone in the middle of the night.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#21 of 139 Old 12-02-2010, 08:12 PM

Woke up to a painful contraction this morning... But since I had to go to the midwife anyway, I didn't end up having to do any time in L&D. I did my glucose test. Came back fine. I figured as much. I told the midwife I thought the baby was transverse with feet on my right, head on my left and butt in my ribs... She felt around and said I was right. I got an u/s of my cervix when I popped in to the OB's for a visit. It's 2.7cm and the cerclage is intact, so that's looking great. Baby is about 3lbs 5oz. We set a date to have my cerclage out... Feb 1st. So hopefully I will have a baby by the 2nd... and all my kids will just be 2 weeks apart. haha.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#22 of 139 Old 12-03-2010, 02:51 AM

joy.gif So happy for you Mrs. Music - how's it feel to be so pregnant?

#23 of 139 Old 12-03-2010, 06:41 AM

I fondly referred to my post nursing boobs as origami boobs...as I had to creatively fold them to tuck them into my bra. The chance to have fuller breasts is definitely a plus in this second pregnancy...a silver lining to feeling so uncomfortable during this pregnancy. This little girl is kicking my butt!
#24 of 139 Old 12-03-2010, 07:05 AM

Yeah, the midwives said most people keep eating raw meat and stuff, so I shouldn't worry too much, especially since it was an isolated incidence. But I'll still go for the blood test.

I decided for a doula, yeah! One thing less to take care of!  

@ MrsMusic: That sounds great, great length! My mom had all her cerclages taken out at 36 weeks and delivered between 38 and 40 weeks, but she was on a Terbutaline-like drug til 39 weeks... The cervical length is amazing, I mean I had no cerclage, but was down to 3cm at 26 weeks with DS!  

I can't wait for my blood test to be over, and for DH to hand in his final paper to finally spend time with us again (12/13 is the due date for the paper, yeah!). Then I can finally sew up all the diapers that I have cut out, and the wipes. I can't wait for my Cat in the hat fitteds, lol, I'm a CD addict.

#25 of 139 Old 12-03-2010, 08:31 AM

Cat in the hat diapers sound cute!  I have a Grinch Christmas AIO somewhere.

I'm so tired and achy and complainy today.  And I've got so much to do!  Shopping shopping shopping for my husband and family and groceries.  greensad.gif I'd really just like a quiet weekend and the chance to put the decorations up.  I'll have to do that on Sunday at some point...

#26 of 139 Old 12-03-2010, 09:12 AM

well this is my first real day out of bed in the last 4 (been in bed with a cold)...so i'm really excited i already went for a walk and i'm going to start packing. i'm sure i'll get in some rest in bed time, but i'm just feeling productive again, which is nice! the only really yucky thing is all the draining going on from the nose and coughing up phlegm...yuck! it's enough to put one off eating! or at least slow me down a bit. i also put off my 28 week appointment because my midwife brings her little one and i didn't want to get them sick...so we'll meet next week. 

there's about 10 days before we head to texas for my sister's wedding...so that means 10 days to finish packing up all the house! i'm on the countdown and have lots of progress already made...but lots to still do! we'll close on the house when we're gone actually, so we plan on moving two days after we get back! i'm headed full into organized chaos! :) but so excited. bouncy.gif

currently the babe and belly are bouncing around! love those movements!

ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#27 of 139 Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 PM

Is it normal to have swelling in the 3rd trimester , my bp is fine and everything but my feet seem to be swelling a bit

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#28 of 139 Old 12-04-2010, 02:14 AM

Ashley- glad you are feeling better! Be careful not to overdo anything..

Chula- from my experience its totally normal for a bit of swelling. By the time most women can't wear their wedding bands any longer and quite a few of my friends who have had babies complained that they couldn't wear their normal shoes. I know when I was active duty a lot of Marines later in pregnancy couldn't wear their combat boots any longer because they couldn't fit into them and the boots made the swelling even worse so even if they could in the morning by the end of the day they couldn't get them off.

haha hit submit without finishing.. Im making a list of the last minute things to order for the baby.. On it: Carseat (100% need), co sleeper (like not need), postpartum bath (nice, DH says its a need because I need some pampering after this pregnancy), nipple cream (have to order online, can't use lanolin), rash cream (need to get some stuff that works with cloth) and a small gift for SIL whos due two weeks after me..

Its all getting to real right now.. Im 31ish weeks tomorrow.. Wow, 9 weeks left and I don't have a carseat or a car big enough to bring the baby home in.. dizzy.gif

sleepytime.gif I think I need a nap. (ok, and I think that smiley is cute)

#29 of 139 Old 12-04-2010, 03:19 AM

Chula, it's totally normal (hell, even What to Expect mentions that it's normal, and they like to freak you out!) but super annoying.  I can still cram my rings on for now, but I don't think they will last much longer.

Ashley, take it easy.  Don't wear yourself out and end up back in bed.  hug2.gif

Okimom, you and I are I think both stressing about the to-do lists.  My bff keeps laughing at me (when not-pregnant, I'm pretty chill so me freaking out is an interesting turn around for her!) and telling me we'll get it all done.  I dug out my homebirth prep list and started stressing over that recently.

#30 of 139 Old 12-04-2010, 05:24 AM

chula.....my hands and fingers are fine but my feet are like elephant trunks all day long. i have tried everything: propping feet, lots of water, more protein, etc...nothing works. my hubby rubs them everynight and thats the only thing that seems to help them.ive been up two hours and they are already swelling. o well...my bp is fine too.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page