My midwife called about blood test results and now I'm paranoid. :( *UPDATE* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 12-02-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I saw her on Tuesday and did the GD. Apparently she called today and left a message saying I needed to call her about blood test results. I'm really, REALLY hoping that it's just a, "Just wanted to let you know they came back fine!" call. But of course I'm stressing out a little anyway. This whole pregnancy I've been eating like CRAP. Partially because I have limited access to good food and partially because I've had so many food issues. I didn't have GD last time and I can't remember if she called me to tell me. I swear if I have GD I will have a total meltdown. Cross your fingers for me??????

And if I have to do the 3 hour...could I just up my protein intake, completely knock out sugar, etc....would that help??

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 32 Old 12-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Fingers crossed.

If it is GD it's not your fault, it just happens sometimes.  hug2.gif

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#3 of 32 Old 12-05-2010, 03:18 AM

Hopefully its just a wanted you to know everything is ok thing.. I was told by the doctor I see that false positives on the 1 hour test are extremely common so its not something to stress over. Even if you did have GD it is nothing you did wrong or didn't do right. Avoiding sugars for a few days before the 3 hour may or may not help. Im not sure, I just ate regularly before mine.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#4 of 32 Old 12-06-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

So I did fail the 1 hour. :( She wants me to go in on Monday and do the 3 hour. She said to eat nothing after midnight and then we'll do the fasting draw and the glucose draw and all that jazz. She said that for 3 days prior to the test that I should eat a lot of complex carbs (whole grains, potatoes, beans, rice, etc.), and obviously to not eat any candy, sodas, cake, ice cream, etc., lol. 

Any other tips??? Anything else I should avoid or eat a lot of? I'm definitely planning to be stocking up on the salad!!! She said my number was 150 and that she prefers to keep it under 130. Is 150 really bad or is it generally considered more borderline?

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#5 of 32 Old 12-06-2010, 10:37 AM

I'm not sure what range your midwife is looking for but I saw one article on Web MD that said a casual test (non-fasting) should be in the 70-125 range. Sorry you have to take the three hour :( Last mama I knew had to take it thankfully passed!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#6 of 32 Old 12-06-2010, 03:45 PM

I got a 120 on the 1-hour and had no idea what that meant, so I asked.  My OB said that anywhere from 110 - 170 is normal, so maybe your midwife is just more cautious with GD?

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#7 of 32 Old 12-06-2010, 04:02 PM

Good luck with the 3 hour. I had to take it a few weeks ago and failed :( I have adjusted though and so far my levels are OK. I do have to see the doctor weekly now though which is tough at such a busy time of year. I hope that you pass with flying colors!!

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
#8 of 32 Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 PM

I failed my first 1 hour because I drank a cup of coffee with cream and drank water the morning of the test. Some how I did not get the no food or drink memo after midnight... duh. They wanted me to return for the 3 hour test which I did and asked that I have the 1 hour test again because I had screwed up the ##'s. So Midwife let me and I passed!! YAY! If I were you I would eat lots of protein and drink plenty of water the day before and no sugary stuff. You could ask to redo the 1 hour because the 3 hour test is just terrible and will make you feel like poo poo. :(

Whatever goes down I wish you the best of luck and dont freak out if you get a bad report back. It will go away post baby and you can control the GD with a better diet. Best of luck dear. 

#9 of 32 Old 12-06-2010, 07:18 PM

I did the 3 hour test and passed with flying colors (my numbers were actually low.. again.. same thing happened with DD1, both times I ate right before the test without thinking). It sucks but its not as bad as it could be. Just eat right before hand and don't eat after midnight and you should be ok. I didn't even know when I was doing the 3 hour until a day before and still passed with no trouble so I didn't do a "prep diet" at all.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#10 of 32 Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 PM

I just got the failing news today too & will have to do the 3-hr GTT.

By the way, here's a great link that explains the testing process (ie. 50-140 is the normal range for the 1 hr test, but at 150 you only have a 20% chance of testing + for GDD at the 3-hr test, which is definitive):

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/gd/gd_testing.htm

#11 of 32 Old 12-06-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey pants View Post

I failed my first 1 hour because I drank a cup of coffee with cream and drank water the morning of the test. Some how I did not get the no food or drink memo after midnight... duh. They wanted me to return for the 3 hour test which I did and asked that I have the 1 hour test again because I had screwed up the ##'s. So Midwife let me and I passed!! YAY! If I were you I would eat lots of protein and drink plenty of water the day before and no sugary stuff. You could ask to redo the 1 hour because the 3 hour test is just terrible and will make you feel like poo poo. :(

Whatever goes down I wish you the best of luck and dont freak out if you get a bad report back. It will go away post baby and you can control the GD with a better diet. Best of luck dear. 

Actually, you are supposed to "carb load" for the three days prior to the fast in order to better prepare your body to produce insulin. Especially if you're the type of person who eats lots of carbs normally. Sticking w/ just protein may have the opposite effect of what you desire prior to this test...

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/gd/gd_testing.htm

#12 of 32 Old 12-07-2010, 03:36 AM

Good luck!! I'm always terrified when I do the GTT because I'm overweight and have a family history of diabetes, but have yet to fail one (got a 76 on the 1-hour this time). The 3-hour test (which I had done during my first pregnancy w/o doing the 1-hour first) is pretty unpleasant but your 1-hour was borderline so you have a great chance of passing. *fingers crossed*

--K

#13 of 32 Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 AM

I failed the 1 hour with a 145, and worried myself sick.  The next day they had me come back and take the 3 hr and I passed no problem. 

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#14 of 32 Old 12-07-2010, 07:03 AM

I didn't fast before hand last time and got a 48.  LOL.  Although I was told no protein the morning of the test (it was the breakfast test).

This time, they told me not to eat anything 2 hours before drinking the drink (which I'm replacing with jelly beans or something else.  I'm not forcing myself to drink that horrid drink).

I'm sure you'll do fine on the 3 hour - although I'm sure it's a PITA.

Would they just redo the 1 hour again?

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#15 of 32 Old 12-07-2010, 07:41 AM

Hey do all your care providers routinely test for gd , or do they base the decision to test on symptoms, family history or sugar presence in the urine?

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#16 of 32 Old 12-07-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula13 View Post

Hey do all your care providers routinely test for gd , or do they base the decision to test on symptoms, family history or sugar presence in the urine?

I have had an OB, and 2 different midwives and it's all part of the "normal" prenatal package as far as I know.  Like testing for Strep B.

I have NO family history, have never had a + result, and have not had my urine tested yet this pregnancy. 

I think it's usually done around 26 weeks?   I'm 31 weeks and haven't done it yet.  Oppsie, my bad.  But I'm not worried.

I've only had to do the 1 hour, although I did have what they call "bigger" baby last time we both were tested at birth and we both were totally fine.  He's just a big boy.

It seems relatively benign - the test that is - super annoying and gross but it's not like having your cervix scraped or something.  KWIM?

I've read that having rampant GD while pregnant undiagnosed can be pretty bad so I do this one (and complain about it constantly LOL ) and the strep B (which doesn't bother me at all).

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#17 of 32 Old 12-07-2010, 08:24 AM

when i went in for an appointment last month the nurse asked what flavor i wanted for the gd test, just out of the blue. i asked if it were mandatory and she said, 'generally'. i said i wanted to talk to my dr. about it, so i did. he was fine with me not wanting to do the 1hr test and said i could just eat what i normally would but make sure it was 2 hours before my appointment. so i had a regular breakfast and a regular lunch at 12:30 and my appointment was at 2:30 and my number was 88. he said he will check it like that again at my next appointment or two.

smeep...i used a mw with my first 2 kids and she didn't have me do the 1hr test, she just did a blood draw like my current dr. maybe yours will do that for you?

Lisa, wife to Jacob, mom to DS Ryan (4), DD Clover (2.5) and DD Mae (born 2/3/2011)
#18 of 32 Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post

I'm sure you'll do fine on the 3 hour - although I'm sure it's a PITA.

Would they just redo the 1 hour again?

It will be a PITA. I don't have a car so I'll have to take the bus which means getting up SUPER early and getting there at 8am and then waiting 3 hours, blah blah blah... And now everyone says that they felt sooo crappy afterward, so now I'm thinking I'll probably at least stay a bit afterward before I take the long trip home.

I didn't think to ask her to redo the 1 hour again but, meh, at this point I suppose I'll just go ahead with the 3 hour. I'd just rather get it overwith. I worry that if the 1 hour came back iffy again that I'd have to do the 3 hour again anyway. 

Quote:

My midwife absolutely does not routinely do it. Both pregnancies she said, "And normally GD tests are done now but I don't see any reason to test you...unless you have a family history of diabetes?" To which the answer is yes, so off to testing we go. A friend of mine who also used my midwife said that she didn't take it because she had no family history of diabetes. It was a fleeting mention of, "We would normally do it now, but I don't see any reason to," and my friend agreed so that was it. But I do get the feeling that it's "routine" for most HCPs...just like everything else is pretty routine and unexplained. I remember with DS when I went to the local clinic for a couple checkups before I found my midwife, the first time I went they just took my blood. NEVER told me what it was for. But every time my midwife does ANYTHING she explains it to me. She often times lets me know ahead of time (she did this with the GBS) so I could take the time to do the research myself. This time they changed the standard testing for the triple screen and I didn't know so she told me just to research it and let me know if I wanted it by X weeks...and that was that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby3in2011 View Post

when i went in for an appointment last month the nurse asked what flavor i wanted for the gd test, just out of the blue. i asked if it were mandatory and she said, 'generally'. i said i wanted to talk to my dr. about it, so i did. he was fine with me not wanting to do the 1hr test and said i could just eat what i normally would but make sure it was 2 hours before my appointment. so i had a regular breakfast and a regular lunch at 12:30 and my appointment was at 2:30 and my number was 88. he said he will check it like that again at my next appointment or two.

smeep...i used a mw with my first 2 kids and she didn't have me do the 1hr test, she just did a blood draw like my current dr. maybe yours will do that for you?

I didn't even think about that, but as I said above, I figure I'll just go through the 3 hour now. Might as well at this point. But I'll keep that in mind for the next pregnancy, for sure! 

#19 of 32 Old 12-07-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:

My current provider (FS birth center CNM) does the 1-hour if you have a family history or show symptoms and the 3-hour if you fail the 1-hour. If you have no family history or reason to suspect GD, she doesn't do the GTT at all.

Previous OB did 1-hour on everyone, 3-hour if you fail.

OB before that did 3-hour if you have a family history, otherwise 1-hour and then 3-hour if you fail 1-hour.

--K

#20 of 32 Old 12-07-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks ladies I was just curious , i had  the test with my first son when I was seeing a cnm but didn't have it with my second son when I was seeing a cpm, and I haven't had it this pregnancy (again with a cpm).  I guess i'll bring it up and see if it's necessary , I had a small amount of sugar in my urine one time and she checked my blood sugar and was 87 after an orange juiced filled smoothie lol so she didn't seem concerned and my weight gain has been normal, my mother and has diabetes but I consider that her poor lifestyle choices rather than that she had a predisposition.

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#21 of 32 Old 12-07-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks ladies I was just curious , i had  the test with my first son when I was seeing a cnm but didn't have it with my second son when I was seeing a cpm, and I haven't had it this pregnancy (again with a cpm).  I guess i'll bring it up and see if it's necessary , I had a small amount of sugar in my urine one time and she checked my blood sugar and was 87 after an orange juiced filled smoothie lol so she didn't seem concerned and my weight gain has been normal, my mother and has diabetes but I consider that her poor lifestyle choices rather than that she had a predisposition.

My midwife is a CNM but she's about as crunchy as midwives come. I've seen CPMs that were more medicalized than her, haha. But she doesn't do it routinely, just when there's a history and, of course, I can always still decline it.

#22 of 32 Old 12-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Hope you didn't think i was insulting your cnm or cnm's in general I just find it interesting how different care providers do things differently is all.

#23 of 32 Old 12-07-2010, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hope you didn't think i was insulting your cnm or cnm's in general I just find it interesting how different care providers do things differently is all.

Not at all! smile.gif Though, typically CNM's tend to be more medicalized than CPMs, just going by the majority.

And, yes, I think OBs generally do it across the board. I don't know, I have never seen an OB beyond the first half of my first trimester (except being referred out for an ultrasound or something, but no regular appointment), but that's what I generally hear.

#24 of 32 Old 12-07-2010, 09:36 PM

well, CNMs are trained nurses, whilist a CPM just needs to take whatever set of courses that their particular program requires which as far as I know are not standardized from state to state or program to program. Every CNM is a certified Nurse first. How "crunchy" they are really has no bearing on medical training IMO.  

My midwife does administer the 1 hour across the board, regardless of history or previous pregnancies. If the one hour is failed she then will administer the three hour. I have tried to talk my way out of it but her philosophy is in essence that it is serious, and it only takes a simple test to rule it out and each pregnancy is different so why not test. It's a little gross, but actually each time the glucola drink has become a touch more tolerable. 

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#25 of 32 Old 12-08-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:

I read last night that testing for urine glucose is an unreliable screen for gestational diabetes, unlike with normal type II diabetes. It leads to false negatives and false positives. Family history is also a poor predictor for your GD risk.

#26 of 32 Old 12-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pregnant@40 View Post

I read last night that testing for urine glucose is an unreliable screen for gestational diabetes, unlike with normal type II diabetes. It leads to false negatives and false positives. Family history is also a poor predictor for your GD risk.

I've heard the same thing but I've always heard that GD is a good predictor of your personal risk for developing type II diabetes. As someone with a pretty strong family history of Type II diabetes, I find it reassuring that my GD tests (1- or 3-hour) are always VERY negative (e.g., 70s on the last one and I was definitely not fasting.. I had a pretty big meal before drinking the glucola). It takes a real effort, even in pregnancy, to get a reading over 100 for me.. haha. But I'm one of those overweight-but-healthy women.. my numbers are all excellent, except for my weight.

.. and just to throw this out there, I love my CNM. She's extremely "crunchy" when it comes to birth itself but is able to treat genuine medical problems when they arise. For example, I get frequent **severe** UTIs (ones that rapidly convert into kidney infections if not treated) because of neurogenic bladder secondary to MS, and she does prescribe antibiotics and do a urine culture. Were it not for her, I'd have to try to find another medical practitioner willing to prescribe, but that's tricky around here. No one is willing to do *anything* to a pregnant woman (not even tests that are really very safe during pregnancy) except for OBs and CNMs.

She does routinely *offer* the 1-hour GTT to patients she feels have risk factors, family history included. I went ahead with it for peace of mind because it's such a benign test (though REALLY gross to me, because I normally don't consume sugar at all... I just don't like sweet things.) But she doesn't order it so much as offer it.. e.g., "I see from your history that you might be at a higher risk of GD than some patients. Chances are that you're fine, but would you like to take a glucose tolerance test?"

--K

#27 of 32 Old 12-10-2010, 12:39 AM

Well, I had my OB appt today & he's fine w/ my 1-hr score of 138. He's a laid back doc, I really like him. I do not have to do the 3-hr GTT, yeah. He told me that practitioners can place the cut-off wherever they are comfortable, his is past 140. He knows that occasionally I have glucose in my urine, but that's normal for a lot of pregnant women. So his advice to me is to eat the ADA diet for the remainder of the pregnancy (I'm at 32 weeks), but not to be hard-core about it. I bought a slice of cake w/ sugary white icing after my appt, I couldn't help it. But I'll focus on better eating tomorrow...

#28 of 32 Old 01-01-2011, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Totally forgot to update!

Took the 3 hour. Wasn't too bad at all. I actually had quite a lovely time. When I got there a family was still there getting ready to go home from a birth and then later I got to meet one of her clients who had a 6 weeker and I spent a good time chatting with the mama and watching the sweet little thing nurse. smile.gif

So, while I didn't want to admit it at the time, I took it all as positive vibes and a sign that all would be well. And, sure enough, I passed! Apparently my numbers were PERFECT. orngbiggrin.gif

#29 of 32 Old 01-02-2011, 10:46 AM

so glad you passed :)

Lisa, wife to Jacob, mom to DS Ryan (4), DD Clover (2.5) and DD Mae (born 2/3/2011)
#30 of 32 Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

So am I! :) Blood pressure has been up a little, though...we're thinking it might be water retention. I need to go back to exercising more and take some alfalfa as well. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page