fetal movement at 33 weeks...[long and rambly and paranoid] - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-07-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My little guy is 33 weeks tomorrow. I know that around 32-33 weeks they start running out of room, and my midwives said that it's normal for their movements to slow down at that time.

Here's the thing though: this entire pregnancy I feel like this kid has barely moved. I mean, he definitely moves, and there have been movements that almost hurt and sort of take my breath away, but I guess I can't help comparing this pregnancy and his movements to my first pregnancy and his movements. My son (now 22 months) was VERY active in the womb, and now as a toddler is also very active. He was a very active baby, too...didn't ever sleep as much as the books said he would/should, etc, was "high needs" etc

So, I guess this little boy is a little more laid back than his brother. Which is fine. But I just can't shake this feeling -- a feeling I have had this entire pregnancy -- that something isn't quite right with him. His heart rates have always been fine. He was measuring a little on the small side (about a week behind, nothing dramatic) for the first half of my pregnancy but recently my fundal height has been perfect, right where he should be.

His 20 week ultrasound was "unremarkable" and everything looked great. But again, he didn't really move at all for the ultrasound. He mostly just laid there, whereas my 22 month old son at his 20 week ultrasound was going nuts and the tech said that I'd have my hands full with him. This tech didn't say anything at all...she was really very quiet throughout the whole thing, which seemed sort of ominous.

I'm blithering here...I'm just worried because I can't shake this feeling that something isn't right, even though all indications point to him being just fine...heart rate, growth, ultrasound, etc.

I'm terrified that I'm missing something and something really isn't right.

I have a prenatal appt tomorrow and I will be sure to discuss my fears with my midwife. I just hate this feeling.

I know that with a second pregnancy, too, I am a lot busier. I don't have time to sit around and clutch my belly and wait for every kick and wiggle like I did with my first. So it's possible that I am just not paying attention. But even when I lie down for a nap or at night this kid doesn't move as much.

My first son was posterior, too, so it's possible that I felt more movements because all his limbs were facing out. I am not sure what position this baby is, but it's possible that if he is facing my side or my placenta or back that I am not feeling as many movements.

But still. I am sitting here worried. I feel like maybe something is wrong with his legs?? I felt my older son kick all the time, and this baby, the entire pregnancy, has mostly been smaller movements down low (he's vertex) which are hands and shoulders and elbows...but I don't feel much in the way of legs.

I know that all of this makes me seem like a paranoid weirdo...but I can't help worrying. Should I listen to this little weird feeling? Or be reassured that everything is fine based on heart rate, ultrasound, growth, etc??

Argh.

helpmeet. mama to Sam (1.18.09 ) and another baby boy (due 2.1.2011 ). planning our first .
#2 of 8 Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 PM

I think you might have your dates wrong. I'm due on the 2nd of Feb and I'm not 33wk till the 16th. Anyways I just wanted to encourage you not to worry. It is easier said than done but really just makes waiting for baby that much harder. Count your blessings that the tech had nothing to say at your 20 wk ultrasound. At mine they thought that the baby had a cleft lip or pallet. Talk about worry, and I had the feeling of something not being ok with baby too. Turns out the tech was just being overcautious at my expense. Specialest said baby looks great! This baby kicks way more than my last two ever did. Every baby is different. I hope anything I said was helpfull.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#3 of 8 Old 12-07-2010, 06:30 PM

I always tell people and especially moms to trust their gut. Now saying that, I have the same thing with the difference in movement in my second. He doesn't move nearly as much as my first did, my DH has only been able to feel this baby a couple of times too since as soon as anyone lays a hand on my belly he stops moving. I'm 33 weeks (due Jan 23) and I really I never had the crazy ninja kicking with this baby, just the moving around. It's slowing not in frequency or anything, just the actual movements themselves are slowing. I've been having WAYY more BH and even an episode of serious contractions (22 painful cxt's in an hour) so I've been worried about pre-term labor.. I do wonder if this guy is coming earlier rather than later. 

I'd talk with your MW and see what she says!

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#4 of 8 Old 12-07-2010, 06:38 PM

DDC crashing to say that my second child moved waaaay less than my first.  Completely freaked me out all the time. With my son I would feel 10 kicks a minutes, with DD ten kicks a day(?)  Okay, so maybe bit more than that, but it was significantly less.  With DS I could push on him and he would move, DD, not so much.  I would push and push and she'd be sleeping or something and just not care.  Good new is - she is a much, much better sleeper than DS was!  I thought this would mean she would also be more mellow once she got mobile...not so!  Anyway, I agree with talking to your midwife again tomorrow, but there's a good chance it's just how baby is positioned inside of you.  Oh - and my DH felt DD kick like once the whole pregnancy!

Mama to three

#5 of 8 Old 12-07-2010, 07:30 PM

My second moved WAY less than my first. It was so worrisome to me that I wound up having an ultrasound to check on him at about 31 weeks. He was fine. He's now a healthy, active 2.5yo. 

Laura, married to Daniel 12/16/2000
Claire b. 6/29/06 and Andrew b. 4/20/08 and #3 due 2/8/11!!
#6 of 8 Old 12-07-2010, 09:08 PM

I understand your worry, Mama.  I'm 31 weeks on Friday.  This little one is also moving much less than my son did - but, here's the great thing, my pregnancy is MUCH healthier!  DS was born at 28 weeks due to severe pre-eclampsia, and thus far *knock on wood* I have zero protein in my urine and my blood pressure is nice and low. Ultrasounds have all been perfect, with various degrees of movement from him (and I have them every four weeks because of chronic hypertension, they like to keep an eye to make sure there's no growth restriction).  At one of them (24 weeks, maybe?) I could not believe the amount he was jiving around and that I could feel NONE of it.  The tech actually looked at it and laughed and said, "Well, maybe it's a good thing you're feeling so little movement, because he's trying to kick the door down!"  Last ultrasound he moved very little - I think us peeking must be getting boring for him!

I've discussed it with my OB practice and MFM, and all of them agree that it's totally normal and not an indicator of the health of pregnancy, but also are understanding when I say that I wish he were moving more.  They've told me NOT to do kick counts, since it'll just make me worried.  Since I am showing all signs of health *knock on wood again, please*, have no risk factors, and tests have all been great, there's no reason to worry, but I have them reassure me of that literally EVERY SINGLE TIME I see them, because it is absolutely disconcerting.  They say that there's all kinds of reasons that you don't feel as much movement in some pregnancies - not being able to sit around and hold our bellies all day when we're chasing a toddler, placenta location, (for me) nerve damage from the emergency cesarean I required when I got sick, the baby's position.  It can all have an effect on how much we feel.

So, anyway, the point of my novel:  you're not overly paranoid.  I totally understand.  It's really nice when they're kicking away and you know they're healthy and safe, and it can be really scary when you don't feel them for a day (which still happens here).  I take comfort in the fact that, like yours, all of our tests are fine.  When I'm really freaked out, I remember that my care provider is only a phone call away and making me feel better is what I pay them for, and I call.  I'm listening to all the Mamas who tell me this is just an indicator that our healthy babies are going to be awesome sleepers when they join us Earthside, which I am totally down for wink1.gif.

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#7 of 8 Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

thanks, mamas.

i talked to my midwife this morning and she really helped calm me down. and, last night (after i posted this), he totally made up for lost time and kicked and wiggled all night long. he just likes to keep me on my toes, i guess.

i love my little mellow baby. :) right now, my not-so-mellow toddler is standing in his crib making happy noises when he is supposed to be taking a nap. and i love him, too. :)

helpmeet. mama to Sam (1.18.09 ) and another baby boy (due 2.1.2011 ). planning our first .
#8 of 8 Old 12-08-2010, 11:17 AM

I can totally understand why not feeling the baby move much after having a more active previous pregnancy would be disconcerning.  I'm having the opposite reaction: my first two (girls) moved, but not constantly.  I didn't worry about it, since I didn't have anything to compare it to.  This time (gender unknown), this one is constantly on the move.  I feel it ALL DAY LONG.  Granted, I'm not working like I was with the first two, but I keep thinking this kid is so active, it must be a sign of ADD (even though I know better).  Seems like no matter what is going on, we preggo mamas worry.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page