What to wear in labor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had two horrendous hospital births, one awesome birth center birth, and one amazing home birth.  In that order.  Unfortunately, due to the laws in the state where we live now, the only option I have is to go back to the hospital.  One of the things I am doing to try and prepare for what I like to call my "home birth in the hospital", is thinking long and hard about how to create my own cocoon of comfort in the hospital room.  I've decided that the idea of wearing a hospital gown rubs me the wrong way.  So, I'm looking for suggestions for things to wear that will be practical but that will make me feel a bit more "homey".

TIA :)

#2 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Here's a good website with some ideas...

I'm thinking of wearing a nursing tank and one of these birth skirts this time around...

http://www.doulashop.com/products/labor-apparel/labor-apparel.html

Bradley Teacher, Doula, Wife To DH (6 yrs), Mama to DS (9/07), DS (4/09), and due in February of 2011
#3 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 12:13 PM

With both of mine I loved having a black tank on under my clothes so that as they shed this was always on (1 hospital birth, 1 at home). It made me feel safer and more free to work w/labor. With my first it was a tank dress (really meant to be an mini dress liner but adapted for labor! That worked fairly well too. I agree, hospital gowns are not the best for that labor relaxation mode!

Supporting natural birth and breastfeeding in the Piney Woods~
#4 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 01:38 PM

In my 2nd hospital birth I believe I wore one of dh's old t'shirts until I went in the jacuzzi tub then I changed into a men's shirt that buttoned up the front so I could unbutton it and nurse baby & have skin to skin contact right after the birth.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#5 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 03:57 PM

I was thinking a comfy bra type thing and...I didn't even think of the bottom!  LOL!  Duh!  Thanks for this reminder!  Sheepish.gif

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
#6 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 04:15 PM

I was thinking of going the bra and sarong route - although knowing me I'll end up naked anyway!  I agree - there's no reason to wear a hospital gown and just getting into one makes me feel stressed and sick, so I'll be saying thanks but no thanks to that.  A gorgeous, red sarong, though, with a comfy bra - now we're talking my language.

And, yes, I'll be wearing some waterproof mascara, too ;).

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#7 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 05:08 PM

My sister just linked me to this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/48990040/gown-2-go-designer-maternity-hospital

SO pretty, no?

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
#8 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 06:39 PM

I kind of want one of these http://prettypushers.com/products.html but I'll probably just pick up a nighty somewhere like I did last time

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#9 of 10 Old 12-09-2010, 02:15 AM

Im making myself a custom hospital gown.. Something from really pretty fabric that I won't mind being messed up.. Reason being 1) Im already going to be rubbing everyone the wrong way, might as well wear something similar to what they "want" me to and 2) if it gets ruined I won't care. The one Im making through velcros up the back (no "wow its breezing, nope my butt is hanging out") and Im picking up some nice soft fabric to make it out of.. I hate hate hate (hate, hate hate) hospitals so going there raises my blood pressure (long story short, my mom had a 4 year battle with cancer were I was her primary caregiver, I spent a lot of time in hospitals with her) so small things like that make a differance to me. 

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#10 of 10 Old 12-09-2010, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input!  I'm thinking of having the MIL make me a pseudo binsi.  It's sad to me that all these great products are so darned expensive!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page