How do you know if UTI has become a kidney infection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am on my second UTI this pregnancy. I started taking the antibiotics yesterday, and have taken three doses. I am still having quite a bit of pain and discomfort, although not as much as I was before the antibiotics. How do I know if it is actually a kidney infection instead of just a UTI? Do I have to have the fever with the pain?

Mommy to Layla 11/06, Eliza 5/08 and baby girl at the end of February....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 07:09 PM

According to my sister in law who who had a couple while she was pregnant, the main difference is back pain. 

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

Old 12-15-2010, 07:12 PM

I have had two kidney infections. They were horrible. Intense, labor like back pain, high fever, vomiting, frost shakes, heat waves. I never experienced a burning sensation during urination, just a little bladder pain during my UTIs. But the back pain is unmistakable for a kidney infection. Mine turned septic, hence the high fever (104.5)... but regular penicillin took care of it.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I had horrible cramping and pain in my back Sunday, almost decided to go to ER, but the kids were already in bed and I didn't want to get them up or go by myself if I left them home with my hubby, and so I just waited til my Dr. appointment yesterday. I could hardly walk yesterday my back was hurting so bad. My back is not as bad today but now it's hurting on both sides instead of just one. I haven't had too much of the burning during urination, but they did say there was a lot of bacteria in my urine, and there's always some blood in there. I don't know about fever because I can never find a thermometer. Basically the doc said go to the ER if you have a fever. I'm feeling pretty junky at the moment. Left a message at the clinic, but I have my doubts about whether or not they will call me back, it's the worst medical care I've ever had.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:11 PM

Vomiting, cramps, high fever.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:29 AM

If you think you have a kidney infection you need to be seen.

I had a UTI that ended up being a kidney infection in college and the pain was unbelieveable.

I ended up in the hospital with a catheter because I let it hang out for a few days before I decided I needed to be seen.

At that point, urinating was so painful that I wasn't drinking any water at all.  It was grisly.  I can't imagine having one now, 33 weeks pregnant.

I'd go to the ER if I were you.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 AM

With those symptoms it's time to go in, rather sooner than later. I never needed a cath, but I had the bacteria in my bloodstream already (sepsis) and they could barely draw my blood, it was like gel. You need IV fluids most likely and a different abx. Penicillin helped me and it is safe in pregnancy, but they did run a test on my bacteria to see if my bacteria was resistant to it...

Old 12-16-2010, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

They ended up making me go to the ER for IV antibiotics. Feeling much better now, but they said that I need to be on abx for the rest of the pregnancy. :( I didn't know I was going to have to stay for 24 hours. The worst part was that my veins are rolly and I had to get stuck three different times before they could get the IV in. One of the times the vein burst and my whole hand swelled up. It's still super sore and bruised. Babies fine though so that's what counts. :)

Old 12-17-2010, 04:09 AM

hug2.gif mama. i hope you feel better soon!!!

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

User Tag List