Organizing/getting ready when you don't know the sex - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-03-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is all new to me; we found out both times before smile.gif So, before, I just had all of the newborn and 0-3 month clothes washed and in drawers, ready to go.  But, we didn't find out this time, and while I want to be ready and organized, I also don't want a lot of clutter sitting around.

I did pull out what few gender-neutral sleepers, blankets, etc that we have, but what about the rest?  Do I just wash all the boy stuff and the girl stuff?  Put the girl stuff in one drawer and boy stuff in the other?  Then ask someone to put it away for me when we get home from the hospital?  (I'm confident that I will not have time or energy to do it myself while juggling a newborn and two older kids all while recovering from a c-section.)  Or, do I wash everything, put it back in the plastic bins and then ask someone to put it in the drawers for me after the baby is born?

I love not knowing and waiting for the big surprise, but it's making the whole preparation thing a bit difficult for me.  Help!

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 15 Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 PM

I pulled out all of the gender neutral clothing and I sorted through all of the other baby clothes and boxed them up. We have plenty of gender neutral stuff since DD was a surprise also, and once we do know what we have we can pull up the box for 0-3 for either a boy or a girl.

I originally had a drawer of girl and boy clothes and the gender neutral stuff and my bedroom was being overrun... 

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#3 of 15 Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 PM

This is my third - but my second marriage so it's my husband's first baby- we elected not to know the gender.  I was shocked at how many people were SO ANGRY at us for not knowing!!  My MIL shopped constantly for all things yellow and green.  When it was apparent that i was in heavy labor and this was it....(at noon on a Saturday)  my MIL gently reminded her son that Macy's was having a sale - but that it would be over by 6PM  (just in case i needed a time parameter for my labor!)  My older two kids were too old for me to have anything saved from them - but i did get some hand -me-downs that were not gender neutral.  We had a homebirth, the baby came very fast and in my sons first few pictures he is snuggly wrapped in a pink receiving blanket!

why dont you get everything out, keep it in two different bins and whomever visits you first after you are home from your surgery will have to wash, fold and put it away the proper color for you! 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#4 of 15 Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM

I'm in the same place you are. I have all the clothes for a boy and a girl and I don't know the gender. I think I'm going to just pull out all the gender neutral items we have and get those washed and ready to go. Then I'll seperate out the other clothes into boy/girl piles and stash them somewhere, probably a box in the nursery closet (out of sight clutter ;)). Then I'll make sure DH knows where they are and just have him throw whichever gender is needed into the wash in the day or two after s/he's born. I can fold while sitting on the couch and then DH and/or DD can put them away.

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#5 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 AM

We don't know the gender.  The bulk of our clothes are gender neutral (and I'm not really fussed anyway when they are young enough to spit up on every outfit you put on them.) so I'm going to wash everything and it's all mixed up in the drawer.  I'll sort it out when we move up a size.  (If this baby is anything like it's big brother we'll be up-sizing SOON so it's not a long term issue.)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#6 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 AM

I'm in the same boat. I have a 4yo DD and a 2yo DS and we found out ahead of time with both of them. This time, the gender is a surprise. We bought a special sleeper in each gender that I'll wash ahead of time, and that's what the baby will wear first. I have a bin of newborn girl and a bin of newborn boy clothes in the garage. Whichever one we wind up needing, dh can throw into the wash pretty much right away. I have an empty drawer waiting. I might decide to wash both of them ahead of time just so we don't have to worry about, but I'll put them back into the bins and put away whichever ones we wind up needing.

Laura, married to Daniel 12/16/2000
Claire b. 6/29/06 and Andrew b. 4/20/08 and #3 due 2/8/11!!
#7 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 09:33 AM

What we did last time with DS that worked really well (and are doing again) is separating boy/girl and neutral and putting them in separate piles in the drawers (I use an adult dresser so the 0-3 fit in one and half drawers)

what I did with DS I can't do again was actually have 3-6 and 6-9 also already in drawers ready to use in our spare bedroom, but that's now been over run...

I did wash everything before hand (most of it was second hand so no exchange possible) and that saved me from having to do any clothes for at least 1-2 weeks, then we had to wash everything. But that time was great! 

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#8 of 15 Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motherhendoula View Post 

...I was shocked at how many people were SO ANGRY at us for not knowing!!  My MIL shopped constantly for all things yellow and green.  When it was apparent that i was in heavy labor and this was it....(at noon on a Saturday)  my MIL gently reminded her son that Macy's was having a sale - but that it would be over by 6PM  (just in case i needed a time parameter for my labor!) ....

LMAO.  Are we related?  I was actually asked, "How am I supposed to buy anything?"  As if the stores won't exist and have sales after the birth, right?!

Anyway, to answer the original question:  I have never found out, so I have gender neutral for the first three months.  However, my girls were summer babies and this is my first winter baby, requiring different types of clothing the first year.  A few friends (who had boys) donated lots of warmer clothes.  I decided to go through what I had (existing and donated) and if it's usuable for the first three months, wash and put it away regardless of the gender.  It's much easier to clean drawers out and stash it than it is to find it, unpack it, and wash it before using, I figured.  The drawers will be full, but I'd rather be prepared than have to deal with it later.  If the drawers get too full, I may separate the stuff into gender-piles but until then, I'm not worried about it.  I'm just glad I have room to set up the dresser and start getting it all ready (we're in the middle of tearing up the carpet and re-doing the room now)!

#9 of 15 Old 01-05-2011, 12:35 AM

I found out but I still prepare both because I don't 100% trust ultrasounds. Right now I have the neutral and boy stuff in the drawers with the girls in a container on top. If it turns out the ultrasound was wrong DH's job when hes home at night with the girls would be to wash the girl clothes and put them away. I did the same (but opposite) with both the girls. We also get a boy and girl coming home outfit. Id love to do neutrals but DH is really set on having "girl" clothes and "boy" clothes so we have very little neutrals. At that age though girls don't complain about being put in baseball sleepers and boys won't even notice the princess sleeper they are in.

Funny thing about buying, both girls we told my in-laws they were suppose to be girls but they insisted they were boys and sent us TONS of boy stuff (hence the reason we have boy clothing) both ended up girls. This time its suppose to be a boy and they are convinced it will be a girl and are buying dresses for "her". Im going to laugh when its a boy (Im 99% sure its a boy) and they have a ton of baby girl clothes to find a home for. So, finding out the gender isn't necessarily a solving thing for people to be able to buy the "right" things because people go off and do whatever they want anyway.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#10 of 15 Old 01-05-2011, 07:04 AM

I have had 2 boys, without knowing gender for each, so I have a ton of blue things bought after the births and yellow/green/white things bought before.

Everything will get washed and put away, in the 0-3 size and some 3-6 will be washed and hanging in the closet (or in bins in there) ready to go.  My last was almost 10# so 3-6 came quickly.

I don't think it's a big deal to wash everything as if you are going to use it and put it away when you feel up to it. 

It's not really a rush to get the pink clothes out of site if you have a boy, right?

Just leave them in the drawer until you can muster the energy to deal.  Maybe around the time you need your 3-6s?

The only things I won't be preparing are more summery things since my last was a July baby.

I also have no problem with girls wearing blue, especially as a newborn. 

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#11 of 15 Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I still have a lot of DS's baby clothes and a couple girl clothes (bought before we knew DS was a boy because it was too cute to pass up, or from my niece) and I have a friend who should be sending me some mostly girl clothes. 

So, while I have a bunch of gender neutral clothes, I have some "boy" and "girl" clothes... honestly, I just put it all in the drawers. Boy, girl, neutral...doesn't matter. Even DS wore the couple of dresses we had once each. orngtongue.gif Once just to see what he'd look like in a dress because we're mean like that, the other because it was laundry day and was all he had (plus we wanted to see what he'd look like in a dress lol.gif). 

Seriously, it's not like it's going to "make" them gay or confused or outright change their gender or anything. Why shouldn't they be exposed to other colours, eh? I'm not saying you have to take your son out in public wearing a dress or your daughter wearing a boyish football outfit... but, if nothing else, I think they're perfectly fine at home. IMO, people make too big of a deal over gender specific clothes. Yeah, if it's a girl I'll be buying more "girly" things, but I'm not going to put away/give away clothes just because of their colour and style... unless I think it's flat out hideous for a boy or a girl. winky.gif

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#12 of 15 Old 01-08-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeep View Post
Seriously, it's not like it's going to "make" them gay or confused or outright change their gender or anything. Why shouldn't they be exposed to other colours, eh? I'm not saying you have to take your son out in public wearing a dress or your daughter wearing a boyish football outfit... but, if nothing else, I think they're perfectly fine at home. IMO, people make too big of a deal over gender specific clothes. Yeah, if it's a girl I'll be buying more "girly" things, but I'm not going to put away/give away clothes just because of their colour and style... unless I think it's flat out hideous for a boy or a girl. winky.gif

Feel the same way.  There are actually only two "gender obvious" items that I wouldn't put on the opposite gender (a dressy frilly pink and white outfit and a baseball sleeper) but the other gender things...puppies and tigers and "Daddy's Helper" outfits would look just as cute on a girl!  My girls had blue blue blue eyes, so you couldn't pay me to keep them out of blue.

And seriously, I can't tell you how many times I had my girls in pink or more frilly stuff and STILL was told what a handsome boy I had! LOL!!

#13 of 15 Old 01-09-2011, 11:11 AM

There really isn't gender specific clothing in town over here with the exception of dresses so you could honestly see a little bundle dressed in a blue and pink outfit and it be a boy.. Or another one in an all blue outfit and it be a girl. Until they are older it seems like its just assumed that you have a boy so everyone tells you that you have a cute little boy.. All dressed in a pink frilly dress, wrapped in a pink blanket and wearing pink shoes. Even now people will ask me if my youngest is a boy or a girl and she wears nothing but dresses. Its really changed my opinion on dressing babies though, other than a few items, what hurt is there to putting a boy in pink or a girl in blue? Now my husband doesn't think that way and asked that I please not dress his son in all pink.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#14 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 04:25 PM

We don't know the sex--and didn't with our first baby either. I got so much yellow and green, and cant really stand to look at it again. This time I bought a lot of orange, red, white, and brown. I got a lot of gender specific hats and socks to add to the outfits when we know what the little one is! I also have a shopping cart set to go on-line with boy and girl clothes in it--I will delete one or the other and hit send after the baby is born. Not that it really matters if a boy wears something with Flowers on it or a girl wears something with a truck on it--not that concerned about gender stereotypes!! So fun not knowing what the baby is!

#15 of 15 Old 01-13-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I decided to go ahead and wash both boy and girl stuff in newborn and 0-3 month size (for winter, that is).  Two sets of everything (blankets, boppy covers, etc) are washed and ready to go, stacked in the closet.  Gender neutral clothing is in the top drawer, girl/boy newborn in the middle drawer, and girl/boy 0-3 month in the bottom drawer.  It's a bit crowded, but at my (or someone's) earliest convenience, we can easily move the un-needed stuff back into the storage bins and put them in the attic.

It is definitely fun to not know the sex of the baby! 

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page