labor food suggestions? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-03-2011, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We've been talking about what to put in the labor bag and the subject of snacks came up.  I have an idea of what I might like, but since this is my first baby, some suggestions would help a lot.  What worked for some of you?  Should I be thinking protein, carbs, both? I know I'll get hungry, but I'd rather not puke (or puke very much).

Here are my first thoughts:

crunchy Luna bar

lemony clear sports drink

vanilla soy pudding

mints

What do you think?

#2 of 29 Old 01-04-2011, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

During my last labor I really wanted bread, or at least carbs. The closest thing my midwife has was graham crackers so I ate a bunch of those. Nothing else sounded appealing. During my other 2 labors I don't remember wanting anything. This time I'm planning to bring a banana, Special K bars, and a PB&J sandwich and sneak snacks if I feel hungry.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#3 of 29 Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 AM

I wasinto string cheese or Alouette-style cream cheese, ham slices, Ritz crackers, and cinnamon applesauce.  Basically a homemade Lunchable.  :)

I'm Brooke!  I'm a breastfeeding advocate and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my new baby boy, River (9/6/2013).

#4 of 29 Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 AM

I've not btdt but maerynpearl suggested doing fruit and cheese plate which sounds just fantastic to me. I've been trying to make mental notes recently of foods and drinks that have tasted just superbly good to have on hand leading up to labor, during labor, and immediately afterward. Some ideas I've had:

Cinnamon toast
English muffins
Lemonlime soda with pomegranate syrup and coconut water
Baked brie with honey, almonds, and apples on toast
Beets, apples, goat cheese
Donut holes from a local shop bag.gif
Toasted bagel with cream cheese

Yeah, so evidently carbs, some easy to digest (for me!) protein and fat... eat.gif

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#5 of 29 Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 AM

I would highly recommend carbs! Although during the whole 24 hours I was at the hospital + labor (I was induced) + the next day I only ate a roast beef sandwich from Arby's and a small amount of hospital mashed potatoes. I lost all my appetite as soon as I received the labor drugs.

Adding on: And orange juice! It tasted so good the next day.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#6 of 29 Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Frozen grape drink boxes. LOVELY. My doula held it for me while I sipped. WONDERFUL after the birth.

My doula also went out for  a pint of Ben and Jerry's and brought it to my room about 4 hours after the birth. DH had about 2 spoonfuls, and I inhaled the rest. It was slightly melted, so it was like a thick milkshake. The best.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#7 of 29 Old 01-04-2011, 11:02 AM

Jenne, that soda/juice concoction sounds AMAZING.  I've got a giant bottle of pomegranate syrup from two Arab dishes I make that use it and this is the perfect way to use some of it up.

I also second baked brie.  With anything.  Though this makes me want to make brie en croute in early labor and snack the whole way through.  I also love the bagel + cream cheese, except the Publix here has frozen bialys and I love mine with cream cheese and sesame seeds.  Now I am hungry!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post

I've not btdt but maerynpearl suggested doing fruit and cheese plate which sounds just fantastic to me. I've been trying to make mental notes recently of foods and drinks that have tasted just superbly good to have on hand leading up to labor, during labor, and immediately afterward. Some ideas I've had:

Cinnamon toast
English muffins
Lemonlime soda with pomegranate syrup and coconut water
Baked brie with honey, almonds, and apples on toast
Beets, apples, goat cheese
Donut holes from a local shop bag.gif
Toasted bagel with cream cheese

Yeah, so evidently carbs, some easy to digest (for me!) protein and fat... eat.gif

Jenne

I'm Brooke!  I'm a breastfeeding advocate and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my new baby boy, River (9/6/2013).

#8 of 29 Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
mcs

last time i took things like energy bars and orange juice- i too remember the oj tasting really-really good.

i did throw up a lot though, and oj is not so good for that....

i could imagine that grahm crackers would suit me too. i don't think that i could handle something really complex.

a little off topic, but what i am really looking forward to is eating after the birth. my heartburn/reflux is killing my desire to eat anything.

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#9 of 29 Old 01-04-2011, 12:35 PM

I'm looking forward to what I can eat afterwards, too. We bought half a lamb and it is sitting in the freezer but I am afraid to make any of it because I have such an opposition to any meat other than pork for some reason, and I don't want to waste it. Also, my nesting instinct has transformed into turning 2 freezers packed full of cooked and frozen meals. eat.gifSo basically, since we probably won't be eating out anytime after soon the birth, I have blown threw a large amount of our grocery budget from the nesting, and the fact that we live 10 miles from town in MN in the winter cold.gif, I for-see a lot of Netflix and reheated homemade frozen meals in our future in the next 3 months or so. haha. lurk.gif + eat.gif + familybed1.gif

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#10 of 29 Old 01-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Juice and bready, carby things are what I usually crave in early labor. During more active labor, I'll take juice and gatorade.  Last time I gave birth, I had a big plate of eggs and toast afterward. . .MMMMM!

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#11 of 29 Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 PM

Just a heads up, you might not WANT to eat during labor. With my first they sent me home from the hospital (they were convinced it was "false labor" even though the contractions were 5 minutes apart and I was almost 5cms) and told DH to get me something to eat and it would "stop the false labor". So, DH stopped by a fast food place and got me a breakfast sandwich, it made me so sick greensad.gif since I didn't want to eat it but did for him. With my second I absolutely refused to eat when he tired to get me to eat breakfast.. I'm glad, I would have probably gotten sick off of it too..

This time I'm packing some granola bars, small hard candy and crackers. I figured its things DH will eat if I don't but if I want them they are there. I don't think I will, eating and labor don't seem to mix for me, but it will be nice to have something for him to "sneak" me if I do want something.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#12 of 29 Old 01-06-2011, 05:14 AM

The thought of eating in labor is gross to me.  I've had a long labor and a shorter labor and didn't eat anything either time. 

I know some people do but you might not want to at all. 

I did have food available for after though, because I was RAVENOUS.  And I stocked up on vitamin waters as well because I was really thirsty and craved those after the birth.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#13 of 29 Old 01-06-2011, 05:25 AM

DDC crashing.  I ate yogurt mixed with chia seeds, and from the seeds, I was pumped and had so much energy when it came time to pushing.  My midwife commented that she never saw such energy in labor that she now recommends chia to her patients.

#14 of 29 Old 01-06-2011, 07:20 AM

I was another one who really didn't want to eat in labour, but I had to (45 hours).  Granola bars are good for choking down when you're nauseous, and anything you associate with 'comfort food'.  (I'm probably going for some PB&J on white bread.  I know I'll be able to eat it no matter what.)  The hospital provided broth and popsicles were also welcome.  (I drank broth in the shower at one point - the height of luxury! winky.gif )

Lots of drinks, tempting drinks.  I got SO dehydrated.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#15 of 29 Old 01-08-2011, 09:49 AM

I didn't eat much in my labours either - I didn't really feel like it...but I also had short labours so it wasn't as vital that I do so.

Both of my previous births were summer ones so I had watermelon and fruit popsicles (the mashed up fruit ones, not juice ones). A friend of mine also had frozen grapes for her labour which I thought was a great idea. I kind of intellectually like the idea of miso but have never had it during labour. I'm sure carbs are super important for a longer labour but I couldn't imagine eating something dry or heavy...although, you never really know what might appeal in the moment!!

I had a bowl of baby potatoes with butter, dill and loads of sour cream right after my dd was born and it was heavenly!!

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#16 of 29 Old 01-08-2011, 11:08 AM

I've written down to get some "Eat natural" bars I like, almonds, dried peach snack, and maybe some hard candy. I might bring some grapes too.

Now to drink, besides water, I don't know. I don't really want to drink juice, and I never drink any energy drinks, so I have no idea if there is any I like out there. Maybe a smoothie? No idea.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#17 of 29 Old 01-10-2011, 03:34 PM

I'd heard that sporty energy gel called Gu could be good, and honey sticks.  So I got some Gu yesterday to try the flavors to see if I even like it, because I don't want to find out I hate it during labor!  ha!  I liked the strawberry banana one and will try the chocolate mint one a little bit later today.  I like reading all your ideas, everyone!

Happily married to my best friend, and nature loving mama treehugger.gif of one sweet boy (Feb 2011). femalesling.GIF

#18 of 29 Old 01-10-2011, 03:38 PM

I was thinking about this (actually thinking maybe I should freeze some grapes) but its cold here right now Im wondering if something cold to eat would be a good thing. If anything I feel colder in labor than I do regularly, with my first they ran down to the next floor and got heated blankets because I was shaking I was so cold. Hot soup might be a good thing but I really think that might be pushing what is "allowed" according to hospital policy.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#19 of 29 Old 01-11-2011, 05:12 AM

Okimom could you get a doctor's note for an exemption?  With DS I had a note written on my doctor's prescription pad saying that I was allowed to eat in labour.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11

#20 of 29 Old 01-11-2011, 06:20 AM

Wait, what do you mean "allowed to eat in labour"?

Aren't you allowed to eat in labour at US hospitals?! Seriously? You've got to be kidding? Why not?

I've packed almonds, my "Eat natural" bars and dried pineapple so far. I was thinking I'd get some Lovehearts because they help against the heart burn, and a natural "energy drink", more of a juice-ish thing I figured out that I like.

Oh, and I packed crushed flaxseed, to add to yoghurt, after birth. (Just to be "proactive".)

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#21 of 29 Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 AM

My hospital only allows clear fluids (apple juice, water, chicken broth) or hard candy.  Any food we bring will be for DH or after the birth.  I am not really sure what the reason is.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#22 of 29 Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Most US hospitals won't let you eat anything (except ice chips - how nourishing!) during labor because they're afraid you'll go into surgery and aspirate.  Since the cesarean rate is on average 30% here, there are a lot of surgeries.  The weird thing is, most c-sections aren't done with general anesthesia.  How could you aspirate if you're awake during the surgery?

So, many people end up trying to labor at home as long as possible and/or sneaking food into the hospital to keep their energy up.  Sometimes you can find a healthcare provider or hospital that is more progressive.  I'm delivering at a hospital with midwives, so they let us break a lot of the rules regarding eating, fetal monitoring, movement during labor, etc.

#23 of 29 Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post

Wait, what do you mean "allowed to eat in labour"?

Aren't you allowed to eat in labour at US hospitals?! Seriously? You've got to be kidding? Why not?

Not allowed in most US hospitals... I wasn't "allowed" to eat in labor, even though by the time my daughter was born it had been over 24 hours since I had consumed anything, and then once the c-section was done I wasn't allowed to eat anything until they had the doctors okay. I'm so looking forward to being at home and being able to decide for myself if I want to eat or not.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#24 of 29 Old 01-11-2011, 09:19 AM

Oh my gosh!

That's just plain stupid. (Yeah, even with the incredibly high c-section rate, most of them are without general, and even with a general, they can deal.)

I'm just sorry about all the ridiculous crap you guys have to deal with at hospitals over there.

You need your strength in birth!

You're offered food at the hospitals here, and can bring whatever you want as well.

#25 of 29 Old 01-11-2011, 09:26 AM

My nurse friend admitted to me that another reason for no food is that they don't want to deal with the throw-up. shake.gif

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#26 of 29 Old 01-11-2011, 09:46 AM

I don't want to deal with the throw up either so that is fine by me lol.  Does this cut down on pooping too?  Did I just ruin a food thread?

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#27 of 29 Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 AM

nintendork, it depends on your labour.  And to be honest, you won't be dealing with the pooping thing, a nurse or midwife will.  You'll be pushing.  It's kind of an all consuming thing.

And I puked even though I hadn't eaten, so I don't think it helps there either.

And yes, according to the horrified nurse at my last birth the risk is going into surgery under general anesthesia.  But people who get in car accidents don't fast first, yk?  And GA is super rare, since so many women have an epidural anyway.

#28 of 29 Old 01-11-2011, 11:49 AM

ddc i really enjoyed miso soup during my last labor (early stage). it's clear so a hosp. may allow. i was in the hospital for ds for 37 hours and they gave me clear trays of broth, jello, & juices 3x a day. i brought flavored honey sticks, but wasn't in the mood to eat them. 

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#29 of 29 Old 01-12-2011, 11:44 AM

Miso soup!  Great idea!!!  I might get some of those magic chia seeds...unless they turn me into a silly ceramic gag gift!  JKJKJK!  I have heard nothing but good things about them. 

As for pooping, it happens.  I wish it didn't but it does.  Yuck.  That has to be a terrible part of the job.  And what about water birth and poop?  I have been always wanting to know that one.   

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page