Foods for Post-Birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey experienced mamas!  What kinds of things should I have on hand to eat once we get home from the hospital birth?  Especially for those of you who are cooking and freezing - what kinds of things are you making?  I'm at a total loss for the kinds of things I should have on hand, and would love some suggestions!  (Not a lot of freezer space here, but still - it's nice to get some ideas!)

Thanks!

Happily married to my best friend, and nature loving mama treehugger.gif of one sweet boy (Feb 2011). femalesling.GIF

#2 of 11 Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 PM

Basically, what are your favorite meals?

I love soup, any kind basically. So I'm freezing split pea, clam chowder, chili, taco soup, jambalaya, maybe chicken noodle if I have the energy. Specially since I get cold easily and its been cold over here.

Also, I enjoy some cookies for a treat now and then so I make a couple different types to keep in the fridge. Doubles as something quick my DH can cook up if we are invited to a pot luck event and I don't feel up to cooking.

I have a list of different things I freeze but it really depends on your preferences, food limits, etc. Your list will be a lot different from mine if you were to be a vegan/vegetarian, all organic etc.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#3 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 AM
mcs

i think is nice to have things like bannana bread or good cheese to snack on. my dh is a great baker and usually after a birth, when my nursing hunger is at its highest, his "baker instincts" seem to kick in....i hope it will be so this time too.

also, last time, my korean friend cooked a couple of amazing meals for me. they have special things to eat after the birth- a kind of sea weed soup, baked pumpkin with honey sauce, and spare ribs. when i think of that meal.....i am ready for labor!

for just after the birth, i have always wanted vietnamese food. so, this time, i have been searching around for a good resturant (and missing living in ny in the process,) i think i like it b/c it is light, but filling, tasty, but nutritious. i've wondered if there is something in the dishes that i require after a birth- it just feels sooo right to eat.  maybe i will look around for a korean resturant too.....

i am hungry!

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#4 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 07:17 AM

We've never been a family for preparing and freezing ahead.  My husband doesn't like frozen food and we don't have much space anyways.

I would make sure to keep cabinets stocked as your due date approaches -

I bought a lot of bottled water to keep in my room in case I was too lazy at 2am to wonder downstairs for water while nursing (we can't drink the tap due to our well).

I had snacky foods I liked, peanut butter, nuts, trail mix, etc by my bedside.  I found myself starving to death in the middle of the night at times. 

My husband would grocery shop later at night, alone, after the kids went to bed and this was so helpful.

Buy lot of fruit and veggies and stuff for crock pots meals (soups, chili's etc).  Maybe buying a great crock pot recipe book or something along those lines?  Print out a few recipes that are easy and tack them to a bulletin board for DH to make in the weeks afterwards?

I found we did eat more take out than usual and as much as an advocate of cloth diapers, napkins, etc that I am, paper plates were kind of awesome at times. 

Oh breakfast for dinner is always a hit in our house when things are hectic.  My kids LOVE breakfast. 

I found that just "getting ahead" with everythings - cleaning, shopping, organizing, laundry, bills - made life SO much easier after the baby came.  Because we could slack for a few weeks and things never got to be that bad. 

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#5 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

In addition to the full frozen meals, my doula suggested having a lot of nutritious snack foods on hand, like granola and yogurt or crackers with hummus, cheese, or peanut butter.  I'll be stocking up on good stuff that I can just grab and eat when I'm alone and famished in the afternoon.  Aside from what's above, I'll get a bunch of apples, baby carrots, dried fruit, and nuts.  Mmmm and chocolate rice or soy milk.

I baked some homemade granola over the holidays and I may do that again.  It was really easy, cheap, and one recipe made a whole lot.

Also, I cannot wait to eat a ton of salsa and Italian tomato sauce once my heartburn is gone!

#6 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Okay-I am totally a sicko but this is at the top of my list for after labour...yummy!

Red Velvet Heaven

Mama to one boy 12/98, one girl 5/08 and a new addition!!!! 2/23/11 Vincent Michael joy.gif

#7 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 AM

Turkey chili, banana bread, and giant meatballs in homemade veggie tomato sauce. Now i'm hungry...

For soup - this chicken noodle recipe from mothering.com is really incredible: http://mothering.com/recipes/chicken-noodle-soup

bf-ing, family bedding, head-mostly-in-clouds mama to one awesome big boy (08/08), one angel (01/10), a crazy little boy (02/11) and two neurotic cats. New arrival in June?!!! Raising kids bilingual - EN/SP.

#8 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome, these are some great ideas!!  Thanks, everyone!  I'll definitely check out the chicken noodle soup recipe.  And upnorthmama - ooh cheesecake...  If I weren't allergic to red food coloring, I'm sure I'd be into red velvet cake, as I've always heard good things about it.

We've never done the freezing foods ahead of time thing, but I think I might do one soup and an entree.  Like maybe enchiladas?  Do those freeze well?  I'll definitely check out crock pot recipes (that's a great idea), and a lot of those snack ideas sound amazing too!

mcs - omg baked pumpkin with honey sauce sounds downright incredible!!  And oooh Vietnamese food.  That's awesome, too.

I'm really glad lunch is just a few short hours away, hehe!

Happily married to my best friend, and nature loving mama treehugger.gif of one sweet boy (Feb 2011). femalesling.GIF

#9 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 AM

Here are my freezer ideas so far:

Meatloaf

Chicken divan

Twice-baked potatoes

Brunswick stew

Burritos (donated by a friend!)

Zuppa (also donated by a friend!)

Homemade frozen pizza kit

Meatballs (for spaghetti)

I also plan to have my pantry well-stocked with things set-aside for making up quick meals.  Like the chicken divan I mentioned above, I don't plan to make up the whole thing in advance, but I do plan to have the chicken already cooked and frozen.  I buy a lot of frozen veggies, so the broccoli is covered.  It doesn't take long to throw it together and bake.  Half the battle is just planning, IMO!

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#10 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 11:13 AM

Enchiladas do freeze well. We got some from a friend when our first was born and they were great.

We have a huge list of freezer food that we are making. We have a chest freezer so my goal has been to put 30 meals in there and I have 22 so far.

I have to second the banana bread and a big batch of homemade granola. It's nice to have stuff for easy breakfasts. We're also going to borrow a friend's waffle maker and make a huge batch to freeze so we can just pull them out and toast them when we want one.

Suggest that visitors during the first two weeks show up with a casserole/dinner (even take out) when they come so you don't have to worry as much about dinners. And otherwise, having all the above mentioned quick snacks is super helpful. Fruit, cheese, nuts.

I like having those instant breakfast drinks around close to my due date because they quench my thirst and need for calories quickly. I can have one of those first thing when I wake up and it will get me through until I get a chance to grab something proper to eat. (Not something I normally have around).

This time I'm also planning on typing up a standard grocery list with our usual brands/quantities and having a couple printed out so that if a visitor or the inlaws or someone offers to grab some groceries, I don't have to worry about thinking about what we might need.

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#11 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mrs Mama - those sound really good!

And bluebirdmama - those are some GREAT ideas for how to have people help out!!  I think I'll do the same thing with the grocery list!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page