Question for baby-wearing mommas. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Do you wear your babies around the house/yard when you are doing your day to day business or mostly just when you are running errands etc.?

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#2 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My first was really intense and high-needs in her first year, so I wore her nearly constantly. I had a mesh sling to wear her in the shower with, back carriers for doing harder work, and slings too. She always wanted to be carried and cried constantly if she wasn't, so if I was alone, she was strapped on. I learned to breastfeed while babywearing early on- my only complaint was being unable to breastfeed while she was on my back! lol.gif

Really, babywearing saved my life. I never would have been able to get anything done without it.

Mama to Iris, born 7/31/08, and Elliott, born 1/28/11!    Photoblogging a year in my daughter's life at iris365.wordpress.com and my son's first year at elliott365.wordpress.com
#3 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

A mesh sling for the shower sounds like an awesome thing to have. I got a baby bath tub for Christmas but have no room to store it in my bathroom. I am really interested in baby-wearing but my only hang up is the risk of SIDS. I don't know if baby wearing increases the risk or not but I have been thinking about that part.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#4 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 10:54 AM

I got mine used on Ebay- there are lots of places you can go to find a used sling that's still in great shape. I'm not sure if they still make the Solarveil slings- a quick google search brought up these, but maybe someone else knows.

http://www.wallababy.com/products/Khaki-Solarweave-Baby-Sling.html

I didn't particularly like it as my main sling- the mesh felt a little scratchy to me. I loved my Maya Wrap ring sling and then I had a simple mei tai and an Ergo for a little later. Anyway, the mesh sling was also great for trips to the lake, time in a pool, and when we were spending a lot of time in the sun- I guess it's supposed to protect against uv rays, though honestly if your baby's not a newborn the sling's not going to cover enough skin to make a difference in my opinion.

I don't think SIDS risk increases with babywearing- on the contrary because your baby is right there with you and you're constantly interacting with him or her throughout your day, you're more aware of their breathing patterns and sleep than you would be if you were washing dishes and Baby was in a swing or crib in another room, you know? Of course you should always assess your child's position in a sling and adjust it as necessary to allow for proper breathing and posture. My child's face was never covered up- (we never used a cradle position as my daughter wouldn't tolerate it- we were in an upright tummy-to-tummy position from the very beginning), and as I mentioned, I was in constant engagement with her as I went about my day.

Mama to Iris, born 7/31/08, and Elliott, born 1/28/11!    Photoblogging a year in my daughter's life at iris365.wordpress.com and my son's first year at elliott365.wordpress.com
#5 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 AM

I wore my first two mainly when we were out-and-about, but sometimes at home (as needed). I'll probably do the same with this one. I try to get out of the house quite a bit each day, so it resulted in a good balance for us.

Laura, married to Daniel 12/16/2000
Claire b. 6/29/06 and Andrew b. 4/20/08 and #3 due 2/8/11!!
#6 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 11:15 AM

I wore DD ALL the time. She always needed to be held and there was no other way to get anything done. My fav for new baby is my SleepyWrap. It is a stretchy wrap so it is soft and easy to work with. The only bad thing about it was when she got heavier it got to stretchy. It is like the Moby which is a popular stretchy wrap and a little bit less expensive.

So we switched to the Baby Hawk. This was my go-to for anything outside of the house. We lived in a big city and took public transit everywhere. She could nurse while in the carrier on the go and sleep as she wished. Really great. I bought this one from another mama on the trading post here.

DH prefers the Baby Trekker and wore her in this as she got bigger. It has a front and back carry option. It doesn't really fit my body well so I never really got into it.

I am planning on wearing this little one from day-1. I am looking at investing in a woven wrap because of how much I love the style. Now that I am chasing an almost 3 year old DD this LO will be wore all the time. You may also want to look and see if there is a babywearing meetup or something similar in your area. There is one in mine and everyone brings their different carriers so you can try each others before you commit to buy (some are costly!) The lady who ran it had quite a collection of her own and would lend out for a few weeks to different families. This is how I discovered I liked the woven wrap so much.

There is a forum here about babywearing that is really good and an entire site dedicated to it (not sure if I can post a link to another forum though). You can also buy and sell different carriers there. PM me if you want the address.

Mama to one boy 12/98, one girl 5/08 and a new addition!!!! 2/23/11 Vincent Michael joy.gif

#7 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaileyB View Post

A mesh sling for the shower sounds like an awesome thing to have. I got a baby bath tub for Christmas but have no room to store it in my bathroom. I am really interested in baby-wearing but my only hang up is the risk of SIDS. I don't know if baby wearing increases the risk or not but I have been thinking about that part.

I've never had a sling for the shower, I just bring baby in there with me anyway.
And why would it increase the risk of SIDS?

Like the PP said, if anything, it probably decreases the risk of SIDS. You feel your baby breathing all the time, you'd feel if the baby stopped. And the baby also feels you breathing, moving and such, which again would decrease that risk.

Here's a really good blog post that adresses the safety of babywearing, with the babywearing safety rules stated:

http://www.undercovermother.net/2010/03/babywearing-real-deal-on-safety.html

It's in the name for me, babywearing, wearing the baby, so I do it all the time. I love babywearing, having the little one snuggled close to me all the time, it's the best! And it's an important part of AP for me, letting the baby be close all the time, feeling safe and secure.

I have a fun theory about night vs. day too, when I babywear, the sleeping baby will still (in sleep) feel movements, there's light, sounds etc. And in night, it's not. So it teaches the difference between night and day like that.

It's very practical for getting things done while still giving baby all the closeness baby needs and wants.

But as I said, I really do love having baby close like that all the time, best thing ever! That's the essens for me, it feels like the best for us.

I (and SO) like elastic wraps best for newborns and tiny babies. And from 4-6 months, Mei Tais and woven wraps.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#8 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good information!

#9 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 03:30 PM

For sure when out and about.  Easy, cozy AND it keeps peoples gritty paws off the baby!  :-)

Then around the house as needed/wanted.  I am SO looking forward to this aspect and will be making a new ring sling and *moby* wrap or two.  I still have the mei tei I used with DD.

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
#10 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 03:32 PM

I don't wear the baby all the time, but I love it for walking, or fussiness, or just closeness and loving.  My back isn't the best, and as I get older it is less and less capable of carrying the weight continually, but I do love it when I can.  I love the Moby Wrap for the early stages, and I bought an Ergo for this time around, we'll see what I can handle when she gets big enough for that.

#11 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 03:34 PM

Oh, and we will be getting a heavy-duty hiking carrier at some point.  When it's warm enough to imagine taking a baby outside.  orngbiggrin.gif

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
#12 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 03:49 PM

I really ONLY wore my baby when at home.  I find it awkward to juggle diaper bag and wearing while out, plus I like passing the baby around.  But a high back carry for those fussy evenings while I'm trying to cook dinner was essential.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#13 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 03:55 PM

Baby-wearing poppa here: I mostly wear the little one when we're out and about, but there are some great times to wear her indoors too.  Laundry day, for one... all those stairs, and all those baskets to carry... much easier with both hands.  Also, she finds the Ergo super-calming, so if she's being particularly fussy, I'll put her in the ergo for some walk-around time.  

I'm Scott, acd.gif  fuzmalesling.gif  treehugger.gif  part-time classical musician and stay-at-home dad, with two beautiful girls, born March 2008 and May 2010.
#14 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 04:59 PM

All the time at home, with DD1 I carried her (didn't know anything but the cheap carriers and they killed my back) since she was a very fussy baby. So if someone else didn't have her I did. Even my brother, who babysat when I had to go back to work, carried her around all day long. With DD2 if I wasn't carrying her, DH was, if neither of us were then DD1 would try taking off with her. With this one I have a few carriers to use and he will always be in one. If anything it keeps me from having to figure out where DD1 is with him (she thinks the baby is meant for HER).

Out and about with DD2 DH always carried her and I got DD1. Mostly because DD1 behaves for me in public, she acts like a monkey with DH. This time Im sure to have DD1 and the baby because DD2 doesn't like sitting in a cart and is always in and out. Sometimes she ends up in a carrier when we are out so DH will have her and Ill have the other two. DD1 has become really great when we are out, the only time she gets fussy or unruly is when she is either tired or hungry and then its a sign we have to leave. With two toddlers I don't see how I could get away with NOT wearing the baby if Im alone with them. I only have two hands and they aren't old enough to be trusted with crossing streets, going across parking lots, staying close (DD1 will, DD2 will run off half the time) etc.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#15 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 06:01 PM

I wore my Daughter all the time, we both loved it! I've bought all of my carriers second hand on Babycenter Babywearing Swap Group or Thebabywearer.com.  

#16 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 06:26 PM

I wear those babies like they were still inside, lol.  I have a Moby wrap that I love, love, love.  I've considered borrowing another from a friend, just so I can always have a clean one since I use them so much!  I usually stop wearing them when they start sitting up more and don't like to be restricted from moving so much.

#17 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 08:07 PM

DS was always in arms or worn, I think this time I may not wear as much, because of ds, but I think over the course the few months of swing use DS was in it less than 6-8 hours total.

I hate people passing babies around, it just doesn't seem natural to me and kinda freaks me out...but that may just be me.

When he started crawling he was down a lot more, but up as soon as he wanted.

I LOVED my Moby, I also have a Mei Tai I made that I wore DS in until 10 months (then my belly made it too uncomfortable) I'm hoping to get a Ergo.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#18 of 24 Old 01-09-2011, 07:46 AM
mcs

i wore my first dd in a wrap, in the house and for errands, a lot of the time. but dd2 didn't like it at all. when she was big enough (i don't remember how old now..) i started to wear her on the front in the ergo and could i breast feed while doing anything! which she loved! then i wore her on my back till she was well over 2 and too heavy for me. this time i have another wrap and still my ergo- i think that i will get an ergo infant insert- anyone have one? what do you think? 

i like the idea of a mesh carrier for hot days or swimming, but i have always used shower time as my "alone time" (even with baby in a seat in the bathroom with me, it has felt good to have my own little shower "room")

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#19 of 24 Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post

I hate people passing babies around, it just doesn't seem natural to me and kinda freaks me out...but that may just be me.

I agree. It's kind of like they want the baby to entertain them when it's their turn to hold him/her. I just bought a carrier online lastnite and am very excited for it to come! We have 3 acres in the country with a large garden and some animals so it will be nice to have my hands a little freer possibly and then I won't have to worry about how to put the baby in her crib and be outside working at the same time. Especially helpful with breastfeeding too.

#20 of 24 Old 01-09-2011, 08:55 AM

My friends wanted to have our shower after baby came so that they could, "play pass the baby". Ug.  No.  Luckily they changed their mind and it will be before.  I didn't want to have to be the jerk and say thanks but no thanks.

#21 of 24 Old 01-09-2011, 08:56 AM

BailyB- what did you end up getting?

#22 of 24 Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I got a hug-a-monkey. hugamonkey.com

#23 of 24 Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 AM

Just another vote here for babywearing at home and out & about.  I'm very uncoordinated with navigating a stroller in a store, so it was essential for me to do.  Also, we have a lot of summer storms in Florida and it was so easy to just grab the travel bag, pop kidlet in the sling and run inside!  My 2 year old still prefers the sling when we grocery shop, but being pregnant and slinging her for an hour is getting difficult.  :)

At home, dinner would NOT have been made without a sling.

I have a wrap, a ring sling, and a mei tai, and I purchased them all through sellers on Etsy.  Shop around for some sales!  I didn't pay more than $40 for any of mine.

I'm Brooke!  I'm a breastfeeding advocate and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my new baby boy, River (9/6/2013).

#24 of 24 Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 AM

Mostly when out-and-about, and a little at home. I love the Sleepy Wrap, too, for new babies and my trusty Maya Wrap has always been my go-to. 

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page