Mothering Forum banner

Turning breech baby

2K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  homemademom 
#1 ·
I'm a little more than 36 weeks and at my last appointment on Friday the baby had shifted positions from head down to now head up. I had a webster technique on Saturday and I,m getting a moxa treatment today to try to turn the baby, but if these things fails, next week I'm supposed to decide if I want the external cephalic version.

Anyone in our group have experience with this? At my hopsital they seem to routniely give you a spinal for this. I'm wondering if I can/should refuse the pain meds.

Can someone wait utill maybe 38 weeks or later for a ECV?

#3 ·
Can you go to the chiro a few more times before trying an external version? That is what I would do. My chiro was telling me about a mama he successfully helped. She was going to be forced into c/s on Monday, so he met with her each day for 3-4 days beforehand and did the Webster method.

#4 ·
Hi I am crashing here, but thought I'd tell you what happened with me last year. My second son also flipped around at 36 weeks. he actually flipped 3 times starting around 34 weeks (each time was very apparent-- felt like early labor). He kept flipping breech, then vertex, then transverse etc. He had flipped back to breech when I was 37w 5 days, and two days later I went to the chiro who opened up my hips (the issue was not with my round ligaments as typical) and i had the version that afternoon. It worked! it was only like 10 seconds but very intense-- not painful. No epidural for me, I only had terbutaline which made me feel whacky but relaxed the uterus. They did an u/s before and after to verify he had turned. I think I had the best case scenario though-- this was my second pregnancy, I had a lot of fluid, and my baby was very high up.

Good luck-- i hope the moxa and chiro help so that you dont even have to decide to do the version.

#5 ·
I would do the Webster again, but I'll say that I did it 2x with my 1st breech baby, along with moxa and other things and she still wouldn't turn. Nothing worked but the ECV. It was done without meds of any sort. I'm not gonna lie, it hurt, but my fluid levels were very low, which I think contributed. Oh, and I was already 37.5 weeks. I can't remember why, but the OB said there was some reason that epidurals were contraindicated for ECV??

This time, with my 2nd breech, I did Webster at 32 weeks and it worked immediately and baby has stayed head down the entire time. MW says his head is good and engaged. So, personally, I'd get Webster done again. . .Oh, and the chiropractor I saw this time said that you really need to shop around and find a chiro with a lot of experience with Webster who really knows the technique. The doctor I go to learned Webster from Dr. Webster himself and in 20 year of performing the technique, he's only had 1 baby that didn't turn.

#6 ·
http://icpa4kids.com

That's where I found my doctor. He's awesome

I've been going for a few weeks now and the baby is head down now, but he recommends continuing to do websters (I'd be seeing him anyway just for pain in hip) as the idea is to relax the uterine muscles equally to make for easier childbirth. The reason it works for turning is just to give the baby more room to turn on their own.

Good luck I hope the baby turns quick! I was kinda freaking out for the three weeks my bean turned breech and I wasn't that close (turn back last week 34 weeks)

#7 ·
This is my fourth preg and found out last Friday at 35 +1 that she had turned breech..after panicking that baby was already too big to turn already (just had us that weighs her at 8.2lbs already!) I found a chiro who was certified in the Webster, turns out my hips were out of alignment, so the adjustment PLUS the webster worked within an hour! Chiro did say that the later you try the technique, the more times it may take to work, she said give it a minimum of three times before giving up.. I am going to go again just because of the tremendous pain relief I felt! That, and want to keep everything aligned properly so my big baby doesn't have any trouble getting here! Planning a home birth, just counting down the days now.

#8 ·
This one is head down...for now. He's a flipper.

Thanks for the website. I found a doc near me and hopefully he can help with my hips (ouch) and the babe if he decided to go breech again.

#9 ·
So glad I found this thread, I'm 35 weeks tomorrow, had an ultrasound today, and my little guy is completely turned around after having been head-down for a few weeks! Thanks for all the info, going to look at spinningbabies now
thumb.gif

#10 ·
My LO is breech at 35 weeks and has been since 32 weeks. I felt him/her move into the head up position. :( I've done Webster 3x already. I started Bagnell technique last Friday. I'm following all the spinningbabies.com tips - I'm sitting with a flashlight on my belly right now! Baby is being crazy stubborn though. :( I know I still have time but really want this child to turn! My midwife tried turning the baby in the office but he/she flipped right back.

#11 ·
Good luck to the other moms in this thread with breech babies. I'm 38 1/2 weeks and the baby is still breech. The ECV didn't work last Monday and none of the spinning babies techniques, moxa, or webster techniques have worked. I think I've done 5 webster techniquese with my chiro, Maybe he's just not skilled at it?

Still hoping this baby will turn on her own, but it is looking less and less likely :(

#12 ·
I just got confirmation today that baby is in breech position. He's been head up all along, and I'm at 36 weeks.

Have midwife appt tomorrow, I'll see what she says. She said something at last appointment about trying moxibustion. I can't afford a chiro. Going to check out spinningbabies.com now.

#13 ·
I posted already but I've tried:

- everything on spinningbabies.com (tilts, inversions, ice on the belly, flashlights/ music at the bottom of the belly, imagery, etc)

- swimming and doing handstands

- Hypnobabies Turn your Breech Baby CD (at least 6 times)

- Chiropractic: 3 times Webster and 4 times Bagnell

- Acupuncture

- Moxibustion

Nothing has worked!!! Going for an ECV on Wednesday but I'm not feeling optimistic. :(

#14 ·
I'm sorry! I know how stressful the situation is because it was that way with my 3rd baby. Fortunately, ECV did work, but it's not ideal, of course. Even if it *doesn't* work, remember, sometimes there really are legitimate reasons a baby can't turn. Too short a cord, cord-wrapped, placenta placement, shape of uterus, size of baby (in conjunction with other issues). I will be thinking of you on Wednesday. I hope it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm194 View Post

I posted already but I've tried:

- everything on spinningbabies.com (tilts, inversions, ice on the belly, flashlights/ music at the bottom of the belly, imagery, etc)

- swimming and doing handstands

- Hypnobabies Turn your Breech Baby CD (at least 6 times)

- Chiropractic: 3 times Webster and 4 times Bagnell

- Acupuncture

- Moxibustion

Nothing has worked!!! Going for an ECV on Wednesday but I'm not feeling optimistic. :(

#15 ·
I had a successful external version. Mine actually wouldn't give pain meds because they said if it hurt really bad they needed to know so they didn't do damage. They did give me terbutaline to relax my uterus.

Here's what I wrote about it. I had a hard time finding successful ECV stories before mine, so I stuck it in my blog to pass on to others.

I'm 3 for 3 with breech babies, and if you search my blog for "breech" there's a whole list of breech turning techniques and what I've tried. The only one who has ever turned with these, unfortunately, is my baby B (furthest from my cervix, Ie the one who could have stayed breech.) BUT, the midwife said she thought the Webster technique helped make the ECV pretty easy. I'd do that several times a week if you can.

I'm 3 of 3 with

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post

I'm sorry! I know how stressful the situation is because it was that way with my 3rd baby. Fortunately, ECV did work, but it's not ideal, of course. Even if it *doesn't* work, remember, sometimes there really are legitimate reasons a baby can't turn. Too short a cord, cord-wrapped, placenta placement, shape of uterus, size of baby (in conjunction with other issues). I will be thinking of you on Wednesday. I hope it works!
Thanks! :) I do keep wondering if there is a reason that I'm not aware of. Baby flipped breech the day before my 32 weeks appointment. The midwives' attempts to move him in the office do not appear to have bothered him (heartbeat didn't go down or anything). If something is going on, I'm hoping we can figure that out at the ECV. I'm thinking about contacting providers about breech birth but I only want to do that if I know there isn't another reason for the breech presentation.

#17 ·
I went back and reviewed my posts during my pg with DD, though as DW#2 has reminded me, every pregnancy is different.

I mention DD being on my right side (like DS is now) and kicking/hitting me in the same spots, but not whether she was head down or not, just that she wasn't in the right position for birth or dropped yet, at the beginning of Sept. (my due date w/ her was Sep. 20. With this one it's Feb 22, so approximately the same timing). On the 11th of Sept., I posted confirmation that DD was head down. I seem to recall from actual memory that DD turned pretty late. So, I refuse to be frustrated or despairing about DS's position until at least the 13th of Feb.

#18 ·
Well, my baby is still breech at 39w3 days. Nothing has worked between the ECV, moxibustion, webster technique, and many of the spinningbabies moves done daily. I,m still doing the spinningbabies stuff daily and some swimming and handstands at the pool, but looks like I have a c-section in my future. Scheduled for this Friday, Feb 4th :(

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by redchicago View Post

Well, my baby is still breech at 39w3 days. Nothing has worked between the ECV, moxibustion, webster technique, and many of the spinningbabies moves done daily. I,m still doing the spinningbabies stuff daily and some swimming and handstands at the pool, but looks like I have a c-section in my future. Scheduled for this Friday, Feb 4th :(
I'm sorry :( I hope your baby does a last minute flip. Have you looked at the birth and beyond board for ideas about how to have the best c-section possible? I've seen some good threads over there about making it a good experience and getting to do as many "natural" things as possible (skin to skin, not having your arms tied down, delayed cord clamping, etc.). I'm wishing you all the best on the arrival of your little one, whenever that may be.
hug2.gif

#21 ·
I'm sorry :( As a pp stated, I would make a c-section birth plan so that you can be in control as much as possible. Also, make sure they do an u/s right before they take you back...you just never know! A friend of mine had a c-section scheduled for a breech baby and when she went in, he had flipped! They sent her home and waited for her to go into labor.

#22 ·
Went to midwife today and she's 90% sure he's head down now. I didn't notice it at first, because I worked the last two nights and with all the contractions I get on my feet all night, I wasn't relaxed enough to feel much. But the big lopsided head lump that was on my upper right belly appears to have made its way down; instead there's a foot or a knee. Yay!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.