38 weeks...and sick with the worst chest cold ever. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-18-2011, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

On Sunday I woke up with a little tickle in my throat but I figured it would go away as the day went on. By the end of the day I had a fever and a cough. All day yesterday I had a fever of 101.6 and the worst. coughing. fits. ever. Seriously...so painful. Plus every time I'd have an attack I'd have to question whether my water broke or if I just peed...nope, just pee. Today my husband and 2-year old son have also come down with whatever I have so we're all pretty miserable.

I have upped my vitamin C and D3, been taking elderberry syrup and oscillococcinum (per my midwife's suggestion), breathing steamy air, got the humidifier running, Throat Coat tea, hot lemon and honey water, etc...

I just feel genuinely awful. Like the last 2 weeks of pregnancy aren't already uncomfortable enough. My body is so sore from coughing I feel like I can barely move.

I am terrified of going into labor like this. We're planning a home birth and I just honestly don't see how I could do labor with a fever and being as sore as I am.

I keep having random contractions, too...real low down, and powerful. Not like your usual Braxton Hicks...you know, tightening up high in the abdomen. I have been having these off and on since the middle of last night. I'm like "Kid, you cannot come out now, sorry." There isn't a real recognizable pattern or them though....maybe I'm just slightly dehydrated....

Anyway, if anyone has any advice or encouragement...or just good vibes and prayers for our family, that would be awesome.

helpmeet. mama to Sam (1.18.09 ) and another baby boy (due 2.1.2011 ). planning our first .
#2 of 11 Old 01-18-2011, 06:00 PM

Oh mama, i'm so sorry!  I'll definitely pray for you!

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#3 of 11 Old 01-18-2011, 06:33 PM

I'm sorry, hun! Get lots of water in ya and lots of rest. I hope you feel better very very soon!!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#4 of 11 Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM

Uggg....that sounds terrible.  I hope you can all get over it quickly. 

#5 of 11 Old 01-19-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybirkel View Post

I keep having random contractions, too...real low down, and powerful. Not like your usual Braxton Hicks...you know, tightening up high in the abdomen. I have been having these off and on since the middle of last night. I'm like "Kid, you cannot come out now, sorry." There isn't a real recognizable pattern or them though....maybe I'm just slightly dehydrated....

Anyway, if anyone has any advice or encouragement...or just good vibes and prayers for our family, that would be awesome.

I'm so sorry to hear your sick. We have all been home sick since Monday...  I  think that the coughing is setting off contractions as I had them off and on for most of the night. I don't have any great words of wisdom, I'm just muddling through and seriously considering going back to bed right now.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#6 of 11 Old 01-19-2011, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

That sounds like what I had about 2 weeks ago. I hate to say it but it took a little over 2 weeks to get over it. It sounds like you are doing what you need to do. Be careful with that fever.hug2.gif

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#7 of 11 Old 01-19-2011, 06:51 AM

I am SO sorry.  I've had more than my normal bouts of colds and coughs this pregnancy, and I'm not normally a "sick" person.  Maybe because my 4 year old started nursery school?

It's been awful and coughing fits while pregnant are cruel.  Nice hot steamy showers help, especially with the water hitting your back and chest.  Do you have any minty soaps or body scrubs?  I have this peppermint scrub and it feel awesome on my back and chest when I have a cold in the shower.  I also needed to keep menthol cough drops on my nightstand, they did help oddly enough.  And water...drink drink drink.

Hang in there.  I'm just getting over the stomach flu which I've had for 4 days.  4 days of complete misery, so I totally sympathize with anyone sick at the end of a pregnancy.  It could not suck worse...  :(

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#8 of 11 Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 AM

Hope you are feeling better today!  You need time to recover before baby comes.  Hugs!

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
#9 of 11 Old 01-19-2011, 03:23 PM

We're in the same boat. DS and I have been battling a stomach bug (vomiting and diarreha) since New Year's Eve. We finally seemed to be better this past weekend and last night he had a fever and coughing and puking all over again. I hope I don't catch it back from him again. I am also afraid of going into labor and not being 100%. We are also planning a homebirth, last time I had a hospital Xfer, so I really want to be able to give it my all this time around and make the homebirth happen. DS also started preschool this year, although he only goes twice a week, I think he picks up everything there. Sigh. I hope you feel better!

#10 of 11 Old 01-19-2011, 03:38 PM

Im not sure if it would help but growing up my mom use to give us hot tea sweetened with honey and I still do that when I get sick (herbal teas, just whichever one I have) and it seems to help. Take it easy, get plenty of rest and stay hydrated.Being dehydrated can send you into labor if you aren't careful

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#11 of 11 Old 01-19-2011, 07:28 PM

Oh, I sooo feel you! I have had the worst cough for days now. It kills. I haven't had a decent night sleep in like 4 nights. When I'm not pregnant and sick like this, I would take Nyquil just so I could get some sleep. Honestly, I think this is the worst chest cold I have ever had! AND I developed pink-eye! I don't know how this happened. I've barely gone out due to the snow up here (I'm parnoid about falling).  I have been staying so healthy this whole pregnancy. I guess that's what I get for feeling cocky about it!! I'm 35 weeks, but my babies tend to come at least a week early and with the pressure I'm feeling, I wouldn't be surprised if this one came a couple of weeks early. I just have to get to 36 weeks and I can have a home birth. But it would totally suck going into labor feeling like this. It hurts so much to cough. And I leak pee almost everytime I cough even when I think my bladder is empty. Good luck to you! I hope we are well when labor starts!  greensad.gif

Doula, wife and mom to 2 boys with a 3rd on the way. Trying for a homebirth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page