C-section scheduled - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I cannot believe they are letting me go to 40 weeks, but I love my OB!  My c-section will be scheduled for 2/22.  I'll be 40 weeks exactly that day.  Of course if there is a reason to do it earlier (and obviously if I go into labor) then it'll be earlier.  I went into labor spontaneously at 39 weeks with DD, so I kinda feel like the whole scheduling thing is a formality.

I have a J-incision so there is a risk with any labor, but we have a shorter drive to the hospital this time so that is good.  I like my babies to choose their own birthdays.  If I do make it until 40 weeks, I will just take that as a sign from God that it was meant to be.

ETA:  I posted this to keep my DDC informed. I thought they might like to know...I know that I enjoy keeping up with everyone else's pregnancies.  Please, know that I am making an educated decision, and refrain from commenting if it's not for support.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 PM
mcs

my first was a c/s due to postion (vertex) and when i think of it now, i don't know why i let them schedule me (just 4 days before my edd, but still...) but- i ended up going into labor that day. i too love that she was able to choose her own birthday.

good luck!

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#3 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 12:59 PM

I don't know your history Mrs-Mama so I will not comment on your specific situation but it is important to note that is is possible to have a safe VBAC with the a J-incision from the previous c-section(s) for furture mothering.com readers that might stumble on this tread

#4 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, it is possible to have a safe VBAC, but for a variety of reasons, we were not comfortable with the risk last time and again not comfortable this time, especially after 2 c-sections and the fact that the scar on my uterus ripped last time.  I researched VBAC extensively last time, but in the end, we were not comfortable with the risks.  I am not going into this uneducated.

Thanks for the support, mcs :)

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#5 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 01:09 PM

As pro-VBAC as I am, I must comment that laboring on a J-incision is riskier than laboring on a low-transverse incision.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#6 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I have been in discussion with my doctor and we are both comfortable with the current schedule.  As I said earlier, we would of course change our plans if the situation warranted.

Starting to regret that I started this thread :(

#7 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 01:31 PM

Don't regret it! I'm excited for you!  Even though it's fun to let the baby choose their own due date, it's also really exciting to know THE day and get ready for it! And seriously, your just days away from meeting your little one. I'm jealous, lol!!  Are you ready otherwise (clothes, diapers, etc.)?  

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#8 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack.  Sending you happy babymoon vibes!

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#9 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

I'm ready-ish.  Not exactly feeling physically at the end yet, thankfully.  Everything seems to be in a mostly-done state, but I know from experience that most everything can be done later...except pictures, you can't get the moment back.  Speaking of which...I really need to pack the camera.  Off to do that right now!

#10 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 PM

Oh that's exciting! I hope that your lo will be able to pick his/her birthday, but like homemademom said, it's really nice to KNOW. I think that's one of the biggest drawbacks at the end of a pregnancy, ya just don't know! Congrats!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#11 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

I still feel like I don't really "know"...it's more like a "not later than" lol.gif  But, at the end of pregnancy, that's a nice-to-know!

#12 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 01:52 PM

2/22 would be a pretty cool birthday, though, if you make it that far!

Laura, married to Daniel 12/16/2000
Claire b. 6/29/06 and Andrew b. 4/20/08 and #3 due 2/8/11!!
#13 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, you're right!  I hadn't even thought of it, but 2/22/11 is very mathematical, since 2 goes into 22 11 times.  I majored in math.  I'm a nerd at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyanna123 View Post

2/22 would be a pretty cool birthday, though, if you make it that far!

#14 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 02:03 PM

Glad you have everything ready.. at least as much as you can.. Take it easy until then and I agree that 2/22/11 would be an awesome birthday but Im a nerd at heart too. I love math.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#15 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 02:09 PM

2/22 is my EDD! so, if i go and you go..well, there's a small chance we'll have babes with the same birthday!!! smile.gif i must admit, the idea of having a "no later than" at this point sounds very reassuring!!! it's interesting to have such a big window with no expiration date... except that nobody stays pregnant forever! :) anyways, congrats! you seem quite comfortable with all your researched choices... and i think that's most important! 

we'll see if we get to share lifelong birthday parties! smile.gif

ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-Mama View Post

I still feel like I don't really "know"...it's more like a "not later than" lol.gif  But, at the end of pregnancy, that's a nice-to-know!

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#16 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 PM

We're scheduled for 39+4 on February 7, but I'm trying to coax baby boy out to let him pick his birthday too!  My MIL loves to tell the story of how when she was pregnant with DH her water broke when she was in the middle of baking a pie (yes, she finished the pie before heading to the hospital).  So, I'm doing lots of baking and wafting fresh pies in front of my belly in hopes that he'll smell it and realize that Earthside is a nice place to be winky.gif.

The nice thing about Feb. 7 for us is that it's a Monday, which is very convenient with the way our support system is going to work.  I know that birth isn't supposed to be convenient (and hopefully he'll decide to arrive before then!), but, heck, if I'm scheduling it for medical reasons, it might as well be at a convenient time, kwim?

What have you written on your calendar?  I was going to write "Eliot joins us!" but now his name might not be Eliot ... maybe I'll just put a heart and the time.  Silly?  Yes.  But, I have to look at the calendar all month!  I want it to be good!

These all seem like petty things, and I'm sure I'm reinforcing everyone's worst stereotypes of scheduled cesareans, but I'm tired of feeling like I have to defend my decision to have a cesarean birth or put a certain kind of "face" on it.  I know that I'm informed, and that I'm making the choice to have the birth that will be safest in my particular circumstance, about which very few people know full details (and the people who do know full details are intimately involved in the decision-making process, i.e., DH.  And that's about it.).  It really bugs me when people feel qualified to criticize my choice, or assume that I'm uninformed because I'm making a different choice than they are in their personal situation.  I'm also bugged by how much VBAC-er's are celebrated for being SO BRAVE, frankly.  Don't get me wrong, I think VBAC is an awesome thing, is unquestionably the best choice for lots of women, and if it's the decision you come to, then that's great!  You deserve to be supported in your decision.  I just don't think that having a VBAC makes anyone braver than anyone else - or that having a repeat cesarean makes us less brave or worthy of support, which is the flip side of that coin.  I feel incredibly brave for going through pregnancy at all after my first experience with pregnancy, and I get really tired of people assuming that someone's road to a VBAC has been more difficult than mine has been towards ERCS.  Going with a scheduled cesarean has been one of the very hardest decisions I've ever had to make, and it sucks to be judged for it by people who don't know me or my situation.  I don't mean to hijack your thread, but it's nice to get this off of my chest.

When I'm feeling annoyed by the judgment/assumptions that are thrown at me sometimes within a community that is usually so supportive, I remember that the people who are judging my choice are actually the ignorant ones, and also think of the Dr. Seuss quote, "Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."  The people who matter understand why I'm doing what I'm doing, not least myself - I understand why I'm doing what I'm doing, and so the people who don't understand, well, they don't matter very much to me.

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#17 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

ComplexOphelia, do you want to be my best friend?  As for the calendar, I haven't written anything...and I don't know if I will.  I didn't last time.  I was so in denial about the c-section that I wouldn't even let them schedule it until the last minute.  And after it was scheduled, I didn't tell anyone the date...until the week before.  This time I'm more comfortable with the whole thing, but I still can't imagine walking into the hospital pregnant and being calmly prepped for surgery and then out pops a baby.  I've always been so involved in my fast-progressing labor that I hardly care whats going on and feel sheer relief when the spinal takes the pain away.

My biggest fear at the moment, though...going that long without food or water the night before!  My surgery is scheduled for 11am and I'm not suppose to have anything after midnight.  I cannot imagine how dry my mouth will be, and I have to admit that I feel like cheating and sneaking the occasional small sip of water throughout the night.  I don't know why they pick an arbitrary time like midnight.  If I were scheduled at 7:30, I'd only be fasting for 7.5 hours, but just because it's scheduled later, I'm "punished" and have to fast for 11 hours...makes no sense.  I questioned it last time and was told that "anesthesia would throw a fit".eyesroll.gif

#18 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Mrs-Mama, don't feel like you have to defend your decision. It would be great if all babies could cook until they choose a birthday and come out near perfect but its more complicated sometimes.

I second your post ComplexOphelia. My last pregnancy was my first and I had an unexplained stillborn at 38 1/2 weeks and am scheduled to have an amnio and then be induced (pending amnio results) at 38 weeks + 2 days this time. I know that some people would think that it is not the best that I am getting induced at 38 weeks but for my circumstance it's the best, both mentally and to be on the extra cautious side for the baby.

I just found out today that my induction date is 2/3/11 and driving home I was both elated and having some happy/nervous/I-don't-know-what-I-feel tears. I've been feeling really ready to be done and generally bored with sitting around, but now that I know the date it seems like it is going to fly by. Especially since DH will be out of town the next 2 days, then next weekend is my birthday, and then 5 days after that baby time! I hope everybody has a great birth with big (not too big, haha) healthy babies. blowkiss.gif

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#19 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

My biggest fear at the moment, though...going that long without food or water the night before!  My surgery is scheduled for 11am and I'm not suppose to have anything after midnight.  I cannot imagine how dry my mouth will be, and I have to admit that I feel like cheating and sneaking the occasional small sip of water throughout the night.  I don't know why they pick an arbitrary time like midnight.  If I were scheduled at 7:30, I'd only be fasting for 7.5 hours, but just because it's scheduled later, I'm "punished" and have to fast for 11 hours...makes no sense.  I questioned it last time and was told that "anesthesia would throw a fit".eyesroll.gif

UGH! How rude of them. I can hardly go a few hours without something going in my stomach! Those jerk, haha. Maybe, though, you will be too nervous or excited to have much of an appetite. IDK.

As for telling people the date, the closer I get to 'the end' the more vague and protective I get about telling people the date. It's almost like I get paranoid thinking that people might be sitting around saying, 'Yep, Bailey is in labor right now...' I don't know why....shrug.gif

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#20 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 PM

mrs mama just wanted to say that when I had my c section I had literally just came from an all you can eat chinese buffet! I don't think a little water at midnight would be a big deal. Oh and how awesome that you have an arrival date. I wish I knew when this baby is going to show up.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#21 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 PM

hug2.gif I"m glad you are excited and have made the decision that you feel comfortable with.  That's what birthing choices are all about.  2/22/11 (Or 22/2/11 in Canada/UK) is an awesome birthday - maybe my little one will share it too!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#22 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Honestly Id be tempted to cheat. I can't (really can't) go that long without water, Ive tried and I end up with a horrible migrane and ill. Id rather some doctor get mad at me then have the birth mared by the fact I have a bad enough migrane Im sick.

At my last doctors appointment he told me I needed to start thinking when the best time to schedule an induction would be since they books weeks in advance and its hospital policy not to go beyond 42 weeks. I mentioned it to someone and they jumped all over me about how they thought I was all for "natural birth" I can't imagine having to deal with people and having to do a C-Section. You are doing the BEST for YOUR child, no matter what other people say. No one knows the details or are more intimately involved in it than you are, ignore the nay-sayers. Until they are in your shoes they don't know what they would do.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#23 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 04:20 PM

The problem with food and water in your stomach is aspiration in the case of you not being awake, right? If you're having an epi/spinal, not general anesthesia, I wouldn't worry about a little water.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#24 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 PM

So happy for you!!!! biggrinbounce.gif

Its so great they are letting go to 40 weeks. I know it can be hard trying to balance safety of not laboring and safety of baby not being ready.

2/22 is a great number. I was thinking I'd love a 1/22, 2/22 or 1/22, 2/21 cause the number fit so well.  Silly I know. orngtongue.gif

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#25 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 PM

How exciting!!  Don't let anyone get you down or make you feel you have to defend yourself...this is YOUR body and YOUR baby - you know what's right for you!

Mama to DD (1/2004)  DS1 (5/2006) and DS2 (2/4/2011)

#26 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplexOphelia View Post

We're scheduled for 39+4 on February 7, but I'm trying to coax baby boy out to let him pick his birthday too!  My MIL loves to tell the story of how when she was pregnant with DH her water broke when she was in the middle of baking a pie (yes, she finished the pie before heading to the hospital).  So, I'm doing lots of baking and wafting fresh pies in front of my belly in hopes that he'll smell it and realize that Earthside is a nice place to be winky.gif.

The nice thing about Feb. 7 for us is that it's a Monday, which is very convenient with the way our support system is going to work.  I know that birth isn't supposed to be convenient (and hopefully he'll decide to arrive before then!), but, heck, if I'm scheduling it for medical reasons, it might as well be at a convenient time, kwim?

What have you written on your calendar?  I was going to write "Eliot joins us!" but now his name might not be Eliot ... maybe I'll just put a heart and the time.  Silly?  Yes.  But, I have to look at the calendar all month!  I want it to be good!

DDCC -

I think that your calendar thing is really sweet.  It reminds me of how I felt about Advent calendars when I was a kid - so excited that every day was getting me closer to something wonderful.  I am sure that your DH and your underfoot babe are bearing up bravely in the face of all that tasty pie.  winky.gif

I refuse to take nesting or planning lightly.  They are not trivial, or shallow or shallow things. 

It's too early to say congratulations, but I'm thinking happy thoughts for you and the OP, that you both have easy deliveries and loads of joyful baby snuggles. 

#27 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, that's the potential problem.  Though, with my prior two non-scheduled c-sections, they have asked me when the last time I had something to eat.  I'm sure that I drank water throughout the night...I always do.  And, with my other c-sections, there's no way they could have delayed even if I had had something to eat.  I'm sure it's one of those rare occurences but they just don't want to take any more chances than they have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post

The problem with food and water in your stomach is aspiration in the case of you not being awake, right? If you're having an epi/spinal, not general anesthesia, I wouldn't worry about a little water.

#28 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 PM

that's how I got away with the buffet, it was an emergency c section, not scheduled.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#29 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 05:49 PM

Yes, let's be best friends :).  Time to get necklaces - you can be "BE FRI" and I will be "ST END".

I think I'm done telling people the date.  The people who need to know - my mom, who is going to travel to be with me and watch my son, my doula, and my husband - know.  Everyone else can wait patiently so that DH or I can give the excited, "He's here!" phone call.  I don't really want to spend the 6th answering well-meant phone calls of, "We're thinking of you tomorrow!"  But, that might change.  We'll see what we end up feeling comfortable with.

I don't know what I'm going to do without food or water either, and was shocked to see that on the handout with my appointment time on it (yes, apparently ERCS is common enough that they just make a fill-in-the-blank handout to give to women having one.  Mine even had a picture of a stork!  How cute.  Not.).  I fully intend on raising my eyebrows, full of scorn, and saying, "I'm not comfortable without drinking water for that long.  Since we've decided on spinal anaesthesia for this procedure, I will be much more comfortable drinking water up until I come into the hospital to be admitted."  I mean, I drink easily 100 oz of water daily at this point.  There is literally no way that I can go that long without drinking, and to me, it just seems like a stupid protocol.  And our appointment is at 9:30, so I have even less time than you do to fast!  This is something that I'd be totally comfortable making a big stink about, frankly, if it's worth it to you.  I don't think it's healthy to keep a pregnant woman without food or water if she is hungry or thirsty, and I don't think it's fair to make us go into major surgery feeling anything less than our best (well, as "best" as you can be before major surgery).  I'm sure I'll feel queasy enough from nerves without being dehydrated and starving on top of it all.

Seriously, I'm starting to hate anaesthesiologists.  They're supposedly the reason that my arms "have" to be strapped down, which I'm also sort of rebelling against.  Last time I was so out of it (on mag sulfate and a ton of blood pressure meds) that I don't remember being strapped to the table, but I honestly feel like strapping me to a table when I'm fully functional and in my right mind is a panic attack waiting to happen, and I'd like to be as calm as possible.  I've seen other mamas have "I understand the importance of maintaining a sterile field, and refuse to have my arms strapped down unless I am physically unable to restrain them" on their birth plans, and I plan on discussing that (again, with the scornful eyebrows slightly raised if necessary) with my OB.  We're also placing DS on my chest immediately after the birth, and I would like to have at least one arm free so that I can touch him. 

Quote:

ComplexOphelia, do you want to be my best friend?  As for the calendar, I haven't written anything...and I don't know if I will.  I didn't last time.  I was so in denial about the c-section that I wouldn't even let them schedule it until the last minute.  And after it was scheduled, I didn't tell anyone the date...until the week before.  This time I'm more comfortable with the whole thing, but I still can't imagine walking into the hospital pregnant and being calmly prepped for surgery and then out pops a baby.  I've always been so involved in my fast-progressing labor that I hardly care whats going on and feel sheer relief when the spinal takes the pain away.

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#30 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 PM

DH is always happy to take one for the team and is a very giving partner, so he's been a real trooper about having pie constantly in the house.  And cookies.  And a Swedish Tea Ring.  And various other things to tempt little one out.  I'm a lucky woman to have such a supportive husband winky.gif.

I can tell DH thinks my "how do we mark this on the calendar?!" obsession is a little strange, but, seriously, I can't stand just writing "c-section" when that day is going to be so much more than the surgery.  Writing "Birth!" also feels wrong, though.  I think the heart is the best idea I've come up with yet.  

Thank you so much for the well wishes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

DDCC -

I think that your calendar thing is really sweet.  It reminds me of how I felt about Advent calendars when I was a kid - so excited that every day was getting me closer to something wonderful.  I am sure that your DH and your underfoot babe are bearing up bravely in the face of all that tasty pie.  winky.gif

I refuse to take nesting or planning lightly.  They are not trivial, or shallow or shallow things. 

It's too early to say congratulations, but I'm thinking happy thoughts for you and the OP, that you both have easy deliveries and loads of joyful baby snuggles. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page