What does an amniocentesis feel like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am having one in 2 weeks and am wondering what it feels like, etc. I am pretty good about needles but I have no idea what to expect.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#2 of 10 Old 01-20-2011, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had one and it wasn't a big deal. I just felt the pinch of the needle going in, and beyond that, nothing strange. No cramping or anything.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#3 of 10 Old 01-20-2011, 11:12 AM

i'm not sure...hug2.gif

but can i be totally nosy and ask why you're having one this late in the game? i thought they were something that was just done earlier in the pregnancy...just curious, i hope you don't mind me asking.

ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#4 of 10 Old 01-20-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Its for checking the fetal lung development to make sure that I can be induced early, safely. Originally my doctor was just going to go ahead and induce me but then the hospital changed its policy at the last minute. I'm not super happy about having to have it because technically it is totally unnecessary and if I had been due 2 months ago it wouldn't be required, but as my doctor said, "big brother over at the hospital..." decided to require it now so that they could get a better hospital rating. irked.gif But to me it is worth it both because of my personal schedule and for my piece of mind.

*oh and the other ironic thing is, that there is a potential 'risk' that the amnio would put me into labor which totally defeats the purpose of testing to see IF I can get induced. haha. Hospital logic*

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#5 of 10 Old 01-20-2011, 04:02 PM

I have had one once and my experience was not good, well my fluid was low so they had a hard time getting any so it took

way longer then it should have but I was in a lot of pain/cramping during and for the rest of the day after. So it was scary since

I was like 4-5 months along, but since your so far along I'd not worry about that at all.

Stephanie

#6 of 10 Old 01-20-2011, 04:36 PM

It's annoying but smart I think.  :hug:  I know a woman who was have a scheduled c-sec due to the baby (had a problem and couldn't be delivered vaginally) and they waited a week, because the baby's lungs weren't mature enough.

Hopefully it's just a pinch. 

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#7 of 10 Old 01-20-2011, 04:39 PM

Never had one but big hugs coming your way. Hopefully everything goes well..

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#8 of 10 Old 01-20-2011, 07:21 PM

I just wanted to add that I had mine for the same reason as you. I was 37 wks.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#9 of 10 Old 01-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Hi,

I've had to have an amnio twice. My advice -- don't look at the needle, just look at the ultrasound screen. In my experience, it is not pleasant, but I suppose one wouldn't expect it to be. I found it to be fairly painful and was pretty sore afterwards. Both times (different pregnancies) they had to go through the placenta. But it doesn't take all that long and if you have confidence in the Dr who is doing it it shouldn't be too bad...and it's scarier to do earlier on in pregnancy, I think. Plan to rest up afterwards. I felt it took a bit out of me, especially the first one. Good luck - sending a hug your way.

Stella

#10 of 10 Old 01-21-2011, 06:27 PM

I'm terrible with needles but found the amnio to be the easiest needle experience I've had! BUT... I didn't look at the needle. It felt like a pinch and then it was over.

Laura, married to Daniel 12/16/2000
Claire b. 6/29/06 and Andrew b. 4/20/08 and #3 due 2/8/11!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page