buying nursing bras - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Moms who've done it before - is it best to wait until my milk comes in?  

That's what they said at the breastfeeding class, but I got a gift card for Christmas and I feel like this is one more task I could do now to make the time go by faster.  Can you estimate how much you will grow or is that too big a risk for such an expensive item?  I do have some stretchy ones and shelf bra tank tops to tide me over if waiting is better.  I'm not sure how soon I'll get out of the house to buy them after baby comes, though.  Advice, please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I always bought one before the baby came, and then once they were here, AND the engorgement period was past, I went and bought a couple more. I think it wouldn't hurt to have at least one on hand for the first few days, especially if the one you get is super stretchy :)

Happy tattooed mama, madly in love with my 2 sons and my tattooist partner. Expecting darling #3 in 02/2011!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 PM

I would wait.  I've been debating myself.  But, you just have no idea what your size will be.   I'd rather have on hand and not have to go shopping after baby (especially for bras), but I was a different size for baby 1 and baby 2. 

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html
Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 PM

Well, the advice I was given was to purchase at least one while in the late weeks of pregnancy, so I bought one. And then my milk came in, I was engorged, still had lochia, exhausted, and was in no state to go to the store. I specifically remember two horrible things about this- my INLAWS volunteering to shop for some nursing bras for me (um NO), and my husband saying he could shop for me. When I asked him how he'd know what to buy, he held out his hands, cupping invisible breasts, and said, "I'll just tell the salesperson that you're about this big, okay?" HA!

So I ended up waddling in the store to buy some more nursing bras a day or two after delivery, so then I guess I had three. And I was leaking through those so fast that I couldn't keep them washed fast enough, even with an assortment of nursing pads. So I'd recommend you buy at least three now that are pretty comfy and stretchy- maybe those marketed as nursing sleep bras- and then being fitted after the birth and getting the nicer, more expensive ones at that time.

As far as size goes, I went from 36b prepregnancy to 36c while pregnant, then 38dd after giving birth and the engorgement had gone down a bit. By 6 months postpartum I was closer to 36c again, and when I was nursing my daughter at 2 years old, I was back down to almost a 36a. My point being, depending on how long you end up nursing, whatever you buy now is likely to fit again at some point. So go for it, but don't be fancy. thumb.gif

Mama to Iris, born 7/31/08, and Elliott, born 1/28/11!    Photoblogging a year in my daughter's life at iris365.wordpress.com and my son's first year at elliott365.wordpress.com
Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 PM

I just bought some estimating growing 1 or 2 cup sizes since that's what happened with both my girls. I'm extremely uncomfortable without a proper fitting bra (I'm a bit on the large size now that Ive had children) so waiting wasn't going to happen. Specially since I have to order my bras on line, I can't find my size (34 Is or Hs.. I might end up a J cup if fate really doesn't like me this time) so having something that would work on hand is necessary.

I would say buy max 3 bras now in 1-2 cup sizes bigger than you are and then reevaluate when your milk comes in and the engorgement is at least partly down. If you are like me and stay engorged for months then after the first 1-2 months when you at least have some idea of what cup size you need.

nosce- that reminds me of the movie where the guy goes to buy some lingerie for his girl friend and when the lady asks what size she was he started making circle sizes with his hands "Oh about this size" My husband is one of those guys who actually knows which isn't good either because he will annouce it accross the alise "Hey honey, are you an H cup or an I cup now?" Yea, not something I want people to know.. He will also go bra shopping for me (online) while at work.. surrounded by his fellow Marines.. duh.gif Yea, embarrassing

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 PM

OkiMom- it was totally like that! As IF the teenage salesgirl in Target was going to have any idea if the distance between his open hands meant a B or a DD. My size was changing so rapidly that I honestly had no idea what I was myself. When the engorgement happened, I stand by that I had one basketball on each side- I don't even want to know what that equates to in terms of cup size. faint.gif

Mama to Iris, born 7/31/08, and Elliott, born 1/28/11!    Photoblogging a year in my daughter's life at iris365.wordpress.com and my son's first year at elliott365.wordpress.com
Old 01-21-2011, 05:13 AM

I was debating that too, but in december I could no longer overlook the fact that my bras no longer fit. And I didn't want to waste money on some bras I don't know if will ever fit again.

So I was looking at nursing bras, and found Bravado. The original nursing bra from Bravado. And the thing with them, is that they cover several cup sizes in one of their sizes. I have the Double Plus version because I have big girls and need good support, and it covers DD (E) to F cup. I'm 32DD (or was), and this bra fits now, and I also have quite some growing space. Because it can be adjusted (shoulder straps and such), so I can grow a few cups with no problem. So I'm pretty sure these will last me through engorgement when the mlk comes in, and then still be perfect when it settles again and the whole nursing period. I got two now, just to try them out. And they are very comfortable! I love wearing them. And they also manage to give great support (which I didn't really think, having no under wire and such, but they do).

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 AM

I grew a lot during pregnancy last time, but not much after baby came.  So I bought bras along those lines again. 

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:18 AM

At my breastfeeding class the teacher said to buy one or two after 37 wks because after your milk comes in your boobs will get smaller.  The whole idea of buying nursing bras stresses me out because bras are SO EXPENSIVE!

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

Old 01-21-2011, 08:32 AM

Buy 2 cheap ones (from target or motherhood) at the end.  I wouldn't get underwire.  I also used the "sleep bras" from motherhood and those worked well.

They are $15 each.  At first my boobs were really sore so I needed literally to wear a bra 24/7.

Then, in a month or two when your ribcage is back down to normal and your boobs are somewhat normal, get some GOOD bras.  No way would I buy a $50 bra in the size I am in now.

I am normally a 36c.  Right now I am a 38D, maybe bigger.  I have a few big bras that I'll wear at first....nothing fancy and sexy.  I actually have a 38E.  Zoinks.  Then I'll eventually get back to "normal" and buy some cute ones.  Since most of my time (I've nursed for 2 years, twice) is spent in 36cs, those get the most wear so I'll replace those.

Definitely don't spend $60 on a nursing bra to fit NOW. 

Also, I bought a BUNCH of nursing tanks over the summer at target when they have a clearance sale.  I LOVE THESE.  They might not give enough support if you are really big, and I certainly wouldn't wear one alone to the store, but under a cardigan or a hoodie, they are PERFECT.  I also wear them at night.  I get a Large (and they fit me from 36c to 38E)

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Old 01-21-2011, 11:26 AM

I've always waited until after the engorgement was past and things stabilized a little. I usually spend the first week pretty much bra-less and in my pjs (I'm fairly small chested so I'm not in desperate need of support). I also have a couple of old ones for now. Usually by the time baby's about a week old, I run out for half an hour and grab a couple of new ones. Helps that we live in a small town so I can just pop out quickly to do that. Those tank style bras and sports bras are good interim bras too. I probably wouldn't spend the money on expensive bras until afterwards though.

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
Old 01-21-2011, 11:35 AM

I love nursing tanks and basically live in them. They are more stretchy and have the undershirt coverage for nursing in public. They are less supportive but certainly are good for the beginning.

Mama to one boy 12/98, one girl 5/08 and a new addition!!!! 2/23/11 Vincent Michael joy.gif

Old 01-21-2011, 11:50 AM

where do you get your nursing tanks? is there a particular brand you like? just curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthmama View Post

I love nursing tanks and basically live in them. They are more stretchy and have the undershirt coverage for nursing in public. They are less supportive but certainly are good for the beginning.

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

Old 01-21-2011, 12:33 PM

I really, really like the Gillian O'Malley nursing tanks from Target. As others said, it's nice to have your belly covered while nursing and I wouldn't wear them alone, except at night. But as an under layer or with a cardigan they're perfect. That was my nursing uniform last time- nursing tank to cover me up in front, unbuttoned cardigan. Flawless. I've found a ton of the Target nursing tanks on sale or used so I think I've got close to 8 at this point, and maybe 3-4 nursing bras in each size I went through last time. Ah, the joys of nursing forever. At least I really don't  have much to buy this time, assuming I don't balloon into some horrifying letter farther down the alphabet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleybrook View Post

where do you get your nursing tanks? is there a particular brand you like? just curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthmama View Post

Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 PM

My mom sends them from Target (Gillian O'Malley ) and I have a few from Glamourmom. My only complaint with the Gillian O'Malley is the under mechanism. It has a hole that you put your breast through which can be sorta hard and uncomfortable when engorged. I had a few from Liz Grange with DD that had an entire shelf bra underneath rather than the hole-MUCH NICER for the ouchie breasts are hard and big phase.

Mama to one boy 12/98, one girl 5/08 and a new addition!!!! 2/23/11 Vincent Michael joy.gif

Old 01-21-2011, 05:31 PM

thanks mamas i even have a target gift card...i'll go check them out! i lived in yoga tanks before, so the tank is really appealing to me!

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thanks, everyone!  I have big breasts compared to my rib cage, so regular bras are already hard to find and expensive for me.  I think I'll live in the tanks and stretchy stuff until my size stabilizes a bit more.  Then I'll invest in some really good ones.  So many things to learn about this new life and body...

Old 01-22-2011, 04:17 PM

Went by Target today and picked up a couple of nursing tanks and bras.  They were so reasonably priced!  I was pleasantly surprised, all under $20.  They also had really cute ones and some sexy ones as well.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

Old 01-22-2011, 06:38 PM

Word of warning- maybe it's too late. I forgot to mention it the other day. The ONLY Target nursing bras that I've had that ended up being junk were there soft-cup ones and the ones with lace along the cups. The lace just tore and looks gross now. They're still functional so I keep them at the very bottom of the pile, but the soft cup one got so lumpy and icky within a matter of months and I had to toss it. Other than that, Target nursing bras/tanks have been golden for me- though again I only range from b-dd.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:45 PM

a great place to check if you happen to be an "off size" (either larger or smaller or maybe not matching cup/rib size or something) is Ebay.

It's hard when you're 36C because it seems those are popular but bigger or smaller sizes seem to be easier to find, for less money.

I would only buy NEW on ebay but I've seen some super adorable Bellabumbum nursing bras for much less than normal, but just in the wrong size.

Like, I LOVE this bra....but I need their medium.  http://cgi.ebay.com/BELABUMBUM-MATERNITY-NURSING-Microfiber-Lace-PINK-BRA-/230451153857?pt=US_CSA_WC_Intimates&var=&hash=item7b66a73c73

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)

User Tag List