Labor?-- UPDATE #35 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can't wait to have a minute to read the good wishes! I sure could use them! Tomorrow I go for my second opinion on a c-section....

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#32 of 50 Old 01-25-2011, 06:31 AM
mcs

hope that you are doing ok!

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#33 of 50 Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the updates Jenne. We're all thinking about you and rootin' for you. Hang in there!!

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#34 of 50 Old 01-25-2011, 12:02 PM

Thinking about you!

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#35 of 50 Old 01-25-2011, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Whew! What a worldwind! Dh and I are working on getting "Birth Story Part I" up on my blog but there isn't too much rush because I'm still pregnant. lol.gif

Nutshell: Pressure waves petered out around 3am. Sunday morning my blood pressure was a little elevated (140s over 80s) and my midwife was concerned so we went to the hospital for some monitoring. The BPP was 10/10! Yahoo! Her strips looked good. My blood panels came back normal. The dip test did not show protein. My blood pressure came down. The OB gave me some choices: do a 24 hour catch and see if that showed any urine-then when it didn't go back home, wait to go into labor and deliver with my current plan, be induced right then, do a scheduled induction, or do a planned c-section. I decided that doing the 24 hour catch and then going home was the best plan. I went back to The Farm to do the catch, have my blood pressure monitored, and rest. By the next day at noon it was clear that the OB wanted to schedule a c-section and that was what my midwife would be most comfortable with. I was surprised to say the least as the catch hadn't been run and nothing had really changed from the previous afternoon. I went to see my allergist, got a referral to another OB and a high risk OB. We saw the OB for the second opinion this morning. My urine had a protein level of *6*...one has preeclampsia at *300*. I was diagnosed with gestational high blood pressure and assured by the 2nd opinion that that was NOT reason for an immediate c-section. So...I'm now having a hospital birth which is a change in plans but I haven't met my daughter yet and I didn't have an unnecessary surgery....

So, I'm on bedrest, go back Thursday afternoon for another BPP and we'll go from there...we are going to eat the birthday cake we made to celebrate her UNbirthday today! smile.gif Thank you all so much for your well wishes and support. Just knowing that there are people in the world who wish babygirl and I well is AWESOME. THANK YOU! Thankyou! ThAnK YoU!

Jenne

02/11/2011   

#36 of 50 Old 01-25-2011, 04:13 PM

hug2.gif Sounds busy!  Glad you got the second opinion.  I was just coming to post that I hadn't heard from you!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#37 of 50 Old 01-25-2011, 04:22 PM

So glad that you are informed and an advocate for yourself and your family, avoiding major surgery that isn't necessary right now.  I can't believe that your mw didn't advocate careful monitoring at this point, rather than an immediate cesarean!  Potential pre-e is obviously nothing to mess around with, but it sounds like in your situation there's no danger in close, very watchful waiting.  I'm sure you guys are planning on keeping a close eye on things now, and I know how stressful that can be, so please feel me to use me as a venting board if need be (I'm actually off to do my blood pressure now, sigh.).  

Here's what I know:  there is sooo much positive energy coming your way from the Ophelia household!  And, you are going to have an amazing birth that is right for you and your family, no matter where it happens!

Enjoy your cake, and thank you for the update :).

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#38 of 50 Old 01-25-2011, 04:40 PM

Sounds like you get to have your cake and eat it too! I'm so glad you were such a great advocate for yourself & your baby girl.

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

#39 of 50 Old 01-25-2011, 06:07 PM

yeahthat.gif

thinking of you jenne and proud of you for sticking to your guns...glad everything is looking good and i'm enjoying that cake with you in spirit!

ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#40 of 50 Old 01-25-2011, 07:15 PM

Rest and enjoy the cake!

Hopefully she comes soon then you can enjoy your cake and cuddles at the same time :)

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#41 of 50 Old 01-26-2011, 03:09 AM
mcs

yay! and all quotes from above too- i think they already said it all!

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#42 of 50 Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 AM

Thank god for second opinions!  Great update mama.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#43 of 50 Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hooray for second opinions!! Glad all is going well for you!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#44 of 50 Old 01-26-2011, 03:57 PM

Wow! Everything everyone else said! GREAT JOB!!! 

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#45 of 50 Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, for those interested in a long drawn out version of what happened...I updated my blog with the sordid tale... smile.gif

Jenne

02/11/2011   

#46 of 50 Old 01-27-2011, 10:42 AM

I read your blog.  Very interesting!  I think what I am most shocked about is how much The Farm is played up as this oasis for natural-minded women to give birth, but after reading your story, I feel that whatever went on behind the scenes with the Farm Midwife and the OB that one night that changed up the urine catch option to the immediate C-section option is really an eye opener for me.  I read about The Farm in Ina May's books and think of it as a Mecca, but I hear about your experience there and I feel a much different reality.

So, because I know how important choosing The Farm was for a low-intervention birth was to you, I'm totally sorry about how this past week has been for your family.  I feel pissed off on your behalf.

I'm Brooke!  I'm a breastfeeding advocate and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my new baby boy, River (9/6/2013).

#47 of 50 Old 01-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Wow, just read your blog update.  First of all I am SO impressed by how you and your DH handled the whole situation, I know I would have gotten emotional and my DH would have gotten hostile.  Secondly I agree with Eden about The Farm.  I thought they were supposed to help you in getting the low intervention birth you wanted?  What a disappointment.  Third I am SOO GLAD you got that second opinion and avoided surgery.  You are a super mom already!  

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#48 of 50 Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM

Wow, I just read your blog, too. I am SO impressed that you were so calm and collected. It's one thing to stand up to a "big, bad OB" but quite another to stand up to a Farm mw who is supposed to be the epitome of midwifery. I have to wonder what the heck was going on behind the scenes there. Also, I'm curious about how they present their statistics as far as transfers and such.  Perhaps they only have to report a transfer if it happens during labor, but if they pawn you off on an OB before that time, are they able to keep their Farm stats nice and pristine?  I don't know, but the whole thing seems so stressful. I'm glad you found a new care provider and that you can rest up and relax before your little one arrives.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#49 of 50 Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidenn View Post

I read your blog.  Very interesting!  I think what I am most shocked about is how much The Farm is played up as this oasis for natural-minded women to give birth, but after reading your story, I feel that whatever went on behind the scenes with the Farm Midwife and the OB that one night that changed up the urine catch option to the immediate C-section option is really an eye opener for me.  I read about The Farm in Ina May's books and think of it as a Mecca, but I hear about your experience there and I feel a much different reality.

So, because I know how important choosing The Farm was for a low-intervention birth was to you, I'm totally sorry about how this past week has been for your family.  I feel pissed off on your behalf.

This!

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#50 of 50 Old 01-29-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidenn View Post

This!

I have to agree. Obviously I wasn't there watching on every person's end, but it definitely rubs me the wrong way. Then again there's often someone in the group that's the "bruised" apple, I suppose you could say... I would hope that's just the case here with the Farm.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page