Funny Pregnancy stories - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, anyone else having people around them come down with stick your foot in your mouth disease? I'm finding (especially this time) the farther along I am the more people seem to want to make themselves look dumb..

Here are two examples from the last day:

I was at the grocery store doing the last major shopping trip for this pregnancy. I had my oldest and my husband had our youngest but he wasn't with us at the time. One of the employees was sitting near the entrance (they are always there to check ID, its a military only grocery store) and watched while I put my 40+ pound preschooler in the cart. I walk a short way and grabbed a 10 pound bag of flour, the guy ran over took it from me and told me I couldn't lift anything that heavy.. Umm, you just watched me pick up my preschooler but are going to freak over me picking up a small bag of flour? Make sense there?

When we were checking out I decided to take the girls out to the car while DH paid. The parking lot was packed when we got there so the only places were either really far in back or the expectant mothers space. We picked the expectant mothers spot since Ive been in a lot of pain lately (I rarely utilize these spots but there are times when they are nice). I was leaning in the car buckling the girls into their car seats when I hear a woman really snotty behind me talking to one of her friends "Isn't it nice when women who aren't pregnant use the expectant mother's parking when there are women like me who need it". I felt like turning around and flashing my 38+ week belly at her but I didn't. It would have been amusing. You can't necessarily tell from looking at someones back whether they are pregnant or not.

At my last prenatal one of the nurses asked me why I was there.. I thought about saying I was there for birth control did she think I was a little late for that but stopped myself..

One of my old friends tracked me down on face book and saw a picture of me pregnant.. She asked when I was due and I told her first week of Feb.. Her response "This February??" Nope, next one, its going to be the worlds longest pregnancy.

So, anyone else have any funny stories to share? I love the things people say to pregnant women, maybe because I can find the funniness in all of them. Honestly people do you think before you speak??

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 PM

A lady I work with asked me "When are you due again?" And I said "Not til the end of February." She said "Wow, you're huge!" And another guy I work with was standing there beside her and he looks at her and he says "Really, it;s ok to call someone huge? That's ok?" 

Mommy to Layla 11/06, Eliza 5/08 and baby girl at the end of February....

Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The first time I explained to DH what EPO was for and where I stick it at night, he asked if I needed a pill warmer or if I wanted to borrow his penis to help push it up further. ROTFLMAO.gif Other than that, the only foot-in-mouth-disease instance I had was DH's grandma asked me if I was sure we weren't having twins, when I was only like 7 months pregnant. The saving grace is that I am 6 feet tall and she is 4' 11" so I can kinda understand why she would think I seemed huge...can't really understand why a woman who had 10 pregnancies would think that that was something you say out loud, though.

My best story (kind of a funny story that happened in the middle of a lot of sadness) was with my last pregnancy. I was being weighed by the nurse at the clinic at my 3 week PP check up after having my stillborn daughter and the nurse goes, "Awwww, and you didn't even bring the baby with you???" puke.gifMy doctor hadn't told her what had happened yet and when I told her what happened she turned bright red, and then white, and then looked like she was going to cry and/or pass out. I felt so bad for her.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Old 01-23-2011, 11:03 PM

I can't even tell you the number of times this conversation has happened with strangers (check out at grocery store, restaurant servers, hair stylists, pedicure girl, random strangers, etc.).

Stranger: So, is this your first?

Me: No, my 5th.

Stranger: OMG!!!!!  [x5 with lots of gasping]

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
Old 01-24-2011, 01:30 AM
mcs

lol

last week, when i walked in the door to pick up my girls from kindergarten, one of the little boys said really loudly, with a look of sheer amazement in his eyes "whoa! is your belly huuuuuggge!!!!"

all of the mothers just stopped getting the coats and hats on the kids and looked so embarrassed so i said "whoa! linus, is your mouth huge!"

and, the bubble of silence burst, so that everyone could laugh.

i have to say though, that it wasn't the comment that made me wonder, but the pause- that made me feel really big. lol. and, he was so sweet afterward, coming to pet my belly and even said hello to the baby.

okimom- oh, i would have loved to stand up from the car and say "yes, i hate that too, especially when you have two more to take in and out of car seats." or something like that. but, it must be nice to know, though, that from behind you still look good! 

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:54 AM

hahahaaha.  When I was on vacation in Florida, I was wandering around outside my hotel just soaking in the sun and a little girl probably around 9 said to me "Excuse me....are you a PREGNANT lady?!" with a shocked voice as if it is such a rarity and i was so amazing. hehe

Edit to add---omg BaileyB that is HORRIBLE!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 01-24-2011, 06:27 AM

You almost have to feel bad for people!  Like the belly flusters them and they say the dumbest things.  With DS more than one person said, "You're so tiny!!!  Are you having twins?!"  Really?!  LOLOLOL! 

Oh, and at the pool last week (indoor) a kid came right up to me and said, 'You're fat!!!'  I had to laugh!

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 AM

So far other than surprized looks when I turn (from face forward and striaght back I don't look pregnant until I turn) I only have two.

Dh's great aunt "Your carrying much less thick this pregnancy," Um actually no, this time I have zero waist where as last time I had a waist I was just fatter to start with...

And when I called for my 20 week ultrasound The person actually asked "What diagnosis?" um...Pregnant. She laughed when she realized it was a given...

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

Old 01-24-2011, 07:56 AM

My Sparks apparently only noticed that my belly is big last week - and they were all whispering amongst themselves 'why's her belly so big?' 'There's a baby in there!' like it was a huge secret. 

I have no sense of humour left for random strangers who insist that I am having twins or that I'll never make my due date or whatever other foolishness they think.  hopmad.gif

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 AM

Ladies, these stories are AMAZING!  Keep them up!  I don't have any to share.  My funny stories are from my last labor, which isn't strictly pregnancy.

mcs - Your response to OkiMom's snide parking lot ladies is RIGHT up my alley!

BaileyB - I feel bad for everyone involved in that situation, but I am glad that it's become a bright spot of humor in what is SUCH a dark time.

I'm Brooke!  I'm an avid knitter (ravelry:mamaaulait) and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my boy, River (9/2013).
Old 01-24-2011, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

These are great! I'm sure I've had some but I've probably forgotten them. Pregnancy brain + ADD = nut.gif

Though I have noticed a lot of yikes.gif when people ask me when I'm "due" and I respond with, "13th February but I'm not even considering baby to be here until at LEAST the 20th, possibly early March," (or something along those lines). Luckily no one has asked me if my midwife (or assuming doctor) will "let" me go that far. 

OH, but I did run into a coworker yesterday (LOVE the girl but I haven't seen her since I quit in July, and she doesn't get on Facebook often so we don't talk much) and she asked me if it was a boy or a girl (it's a surprise) and said, "You can tell me!" .... I don't know if she meant it that way but it totally came off to me as if she thought I was just lying about not knowing. Huh? It's like...man, I couldn't keep that a secret! You'd definitely know by now. lol.gif

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 AM

I was at the grocery store last night, and decided to pick up a 6 pack of DH's favorite seasonal beer to surprise him (Abita Strawberry!).

While checking out, the conversation went like this:

Cashier- "you know you shouldn't be drinking!"-  Points at my pregnant belly

Me- "Oh no, it's not for me, it's for the baby..."            *smile*

Cashier- *confused look*

thankfully it shut her up....

Really lady? Do you feel the need to comment on everyone's purchases?

read.gifLibrarian, Wife and Mostly Crunchy Domestic Engineer. Mama to two little "birds"- ID di/di twin girls (3/09)twins.gif and a "fuzz" (2/11) babyboy.gif
Old 01-24-2011, 10:41 AM

Bwahahaha!!! Great one! Cashiering, I have always just assumed the pregnant woman wasn't getting it to drink herself. 

I haven't had their strawberry seasonal, though! It sounds DELICIOUS! I think I may make that one of my "post-birth goodies" requests. orngbiggrin.gif

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 AM

OkiMom - I have had a similar reaction when I had to waddle from the back of the snow filled parking lot at the grocery store only to see the expectant mother's parking spaces are filled with elderly folks getting in and out of their cars. I get annoyed for like a second and then think, "Oh yeah, I guess they probably need them  too.' haha.

LSUtwin mama - I have been cooking a lot of recipes this winter that have called for various alcohols and wonder every time I go into the liquor store if the owner or another customer will say anything but NOTHING! I always feel silly though, walking out with some big brown bag and a big belly.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Old 01-24-2011, 01:26 PM

OkiMom-I had a very similiar situation happen when I was pregnant with my DD. DH and I parked in an expecting mothers/parents with toddlers parking spot and were walking into the grocery store. I want to say I was around 40wks at this point, waddling and huge (I really think I was biggest w/ DD, even though she was my first), but I guess you couldn't tell from the back. Some random woman started shouting at DH and I about whether or not we were sure we could actually park there and that those spots or reserved for specific people. He and I turned around and this poor woman turned bright red and began to profusely apologize, stating how I didn't look pregnant from the back! I think its hilarious, but in all honesty, I'm glad someone actually speaks up about that kind of stuff. Too many people just take advantage of those spots.

Then last pregnancy, I went grocery shopping at 42+1days. When I was checking out the woman at the register asked when I was due. I told her two weeks ago and her eyes just bulged out of her head! She started rushing through my groceries saying she wanted to make sure I got home and didn't go into labor in her check out line! Its like she thought my water would break and I'd fall down and push out a baby RIGHT THEN!! Incidently, I did go into labor that day, but not until about seven pm, a good ten hours later!!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

Old 01-24-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

I love these stories..

Baily B- I'm sorry for the nurse's comment, that must have been hard to deal with. I think if I saw older people getting out it wouldn't bug me to much, what ticks me is when I see able body men and women who are obviously not pregnant getting out of the car. Although I check myself with the ladies because I don't show until later and i used the spots a couple of times when morning sickness is really bad. I figure they rather me not throw up in the middle of the parking lot and make them clean it up.

MCS- I can't come up with those things in the moment, I usually can only come up with something really rude and obnoxious so I keep my mouth shut. DH told me to bad he wasn't there otherwise he would have made a comment or two.. He tends to be funny with his comments though.

3x- I always want to say something to people who shouldn't be parking there (like when I saw 5 guys jump out of a sedan and joke about who's going to act pregnant while I dragged my two kids through the parking lot a couple of weeks ago) but I don't like to confront so I just didn't say anything. I did appreciate the person who did though. They got a butt chewing from an officer walking by and noticing it, got to love the military community when they aren't worried about stepping up like that.

The grocery store ones reminds me of when I was pregnant with DD1 and the checker got really upset because I wasn't buying formula or diapers:

"But you HAVE to!! How are you going to feed the baby"

"I'm breastfeeding"

"That never works, go grab formula I won't make you wait again.. Oh and don't forget diapers, you can't have enough of those"

"No thanks"

"But you have to"

It was so ridiculous that I still remember it. Finally I asked her to either finish up or I needed to talk to the manager. She finished up really quickly.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 PM

Oh, NO!!! I'm very non-confrontational for the most part but I could most definitely see myself having a sudden case of verbal vomit that might come off as pretty insulting to her... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

The grocery store ones reminds me of when I was pregnant with DD1 and the checker got really upset because I wasn't buying formula or diapers:

"I'm breastfeeding"

"That never works, go grab formula I won't make you wait again.. Oh and don't forget diapers, you can't have enough of those"

"No thanks"

"But you have to"

It was so ridiculous that I still remember it. Finally I asked her to either finish up or I needed to talk to the manager. She finished up really quickly.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 PM

I probably would've verbal vomited, too, smeep! Geesh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeep View Post

Oh, NO!!! I'm very non-confrontational for the most part but I could most definitely see myself having a sudden case of verbal vomit that might come off as pretty insulting to her... lol

Quote:

"I'm breastfeeding"

"No thanks"

"But you have to"

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

Old 01-24-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Now I probably would be more likely to say something, back then with my first I just wanted to get away from her because she was reawakening my fears. I had heard my whole pregnancy from my Dad and grandma how none of the women in my family had breastfed (variety of reasons but mostly because according to their doctors their milk wasn't "fatty" enough) and my MIL tried with my husband but for some reason couldn't (I think it was lack of support, she went on to breastfed 3 out of the 4 of her other children.. one she didn't she was in the ICU for a month after birth). So I was scared of failing and people bringing up that people failed at it made me just want to hide. I think though that my fear of failing at it was what made me push through all the pain/blood/etc of the first few months and finally get breastfeeding established.

Now however Ive successfully breastfed 2 children for almost 4 years total so honestly I probably would have given the person the "spook look of death" as my husband calls it and ask for some statistics on that. People saying stuff like that is what makes a lot of first time moms second guess themselves.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 PM

I love these, so much fun stuff, I've been laughing through it!

@BaileyB, that can't have been fun though, I think I might have punched the lady if someone had said something like that just weeks after my daughter died. (Not really, but a deathly stare and some well chosen words.)

I always love the looks on peoples faces when they ask me if this is my first, and I go "no, it's number 7, actually, but who's counting" or something. I can often get a laugh from that. :D

Not to mention when they ask these days "So, are you pregnant?" and I say "No, just swallowed a ball", or "No, I'm just fat", I love the looks on their faces, and again I get a good laugh!

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 PM

I would not have been able to keep quiet seeing that! Normally I just grit my teeth and bear stuff like that, I not at 38wks preg w/ two kids. I would've popped off with some really loud b*tchy comment like "Oh, nice, one of you five perfectly fine guys are going to joke about who's going to be pregnant just so YOU can park there. Meanwhile, I have to drag my two kids through the snow and I AM actually pregnant! How very appropriate of you. How freakin' awesome! I hope you are proud of yourselves!" Glad that someone chewed them out!

Quote:

3x- I always want to say something to people who shouldn't be parking there (like when I saw 5 guys jump out of a sedan and joke about who's going to act pregnant while I dragged my two kids through the parking lot a couple of weeks ago) but I don't like to confront so I just didn't say anything. I did appreciate the person who did though. They got a butt chewing from an officer walking by and noticing it, got to love the military community when they aren't worried about stepping up like that.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post

@BaileyB, that can't have been fun though, I think I might have punched the lady if someone had said something like that just weeks after my daughter died. (Not really, but a deathly stare and some well chosen words.)

It was awful at the time and I just wanted to go home and go back under the covers, but when my husband and I think about it now we crack up. The look on her face totally redeemed herself. She looked like she also wanted to go home and hide under the covers.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 PM

I'm enjoying all of these stories, too thumb.gif  The grocery stores ones, in particular, are entertaining...for some reason, cashiers seem to be the most vocal when it comes to pregnancy.  Here's a few stories of mine:

Cashier: How far along are you?

Me: About 5 months

Cashier: Wow!  You're looking really good for 5 months...you're so small!

Me: *silence* lol (I didn't know what to respond with because I knew for a fact that my belly was bigger at that point than it was the last pregnancy...I didn't feel small at all).  I just looked away lol.gif

Random woman at the park: Do you know what you're having?

Me: Yes, it's a girl

Random woman at the park: Are you sure? You look like you're having a boy to me

Me: Yes, I'm sure

Random woman at the park: gives me a *look* as if to say, "Mmhmm, whatever" lol.gif like she knows better than an ultrasound!

This last one happened a few days ago:

Neighbor: When are you due?

Me: In about 5 weeks

Neighbor: Yikes!

Ummm...how am I supposed to respond to that??  I can't say "thanks" because that doesn't make sense...I almost wanted to say "I appreciate your support" or something else along those lines just to show her that wasn't the nicest thing to say. 

Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 AM

I had a cashier tell me that "at least you don't have a fat face" when she noticed I was pregnant.  Yesterday I got a "oh it looks like you're having another one...or two????" comment eyesroll.gif  And, when I tell people that I still have a month to go, they can't believe it.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Old 01-25-2011, 08:22 AM

Last pregnancy, since I was due May 1st, my pregnancy really began to "show" right around Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I work at a public library, so we get a WIDE variety of people in terms of politeness.  I had two separate people come up to me and make some comment to the effect of, "Wow, really pigging out on the holiday food this year, huh?"  I think my response was "I"m growing a freaking human, jerkwad!"  I'm a little combative with things like that.  I would never be so ballsy as to tell a woman she can't park in the pregnancy parking spot though.  I guess I pick and choose my times of moxie!

OkiMom - I about fell out of my chair at "spook look of death".  Best name ever!  I would have been seething at the formula encounter, as no one breastfed in either side of my family either and I was BOUND and DETERMINED to succeed regardless.  Fortunately, no major hiccups.

I'm Brooke!  I'm an avid knitter (ravelry:mamaaulait) and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my boy, River (9/2013).
Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 AM

I was at a cancer fundraiser for DH's mom's cousin - so I didn't know hardly anyone there.  I won the raffle and since it was at the end of the night there were no good prizes left so I picked out a 24 case of corona for my husband.  When I went to go claim it, the guy goes "um do you have a husband?"  I guess he didn't want the pregnant lady taking his beer.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

User Tag List