life on the other side. - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2011, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

nosce- I have similar goals- showered, dressed, and fed and I'm okay. Like my mil says- the house will be there long after the kids are gone. Still... it's hard to remember that when there is crap all over the house.

baggybears- right there with you on the boob issues and toddler issues!

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Baggybears, I totally feel ya. My 4yo has been hovering, too, and its driving me insane. There have been several times I've coerced her to go and play in her room with something just to get her quite literally off my back. But on the flip side she's been a great help with DS. She's constantly playing with him which makes it much easier on me. And the time she doesn't want to play with him he's also generally ready for some alone time, so its worked out well. Good luck with the packing etc, I can't even begin to imagine having to do that right now! hug2.gif

And I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one really struggling to get a routine, even though I'm five weeks in now. Some days work out great, like today. I got two stretches of three hours of sleep, DH didn't leave for work until 2pm and I had time to get things done. So my house got relatively cleaned up, diapers are washed, dinner's half made and I'm even thinking about making cookies depending on how Lucas's napping at this moment goes. But two days ago...house was a disaster, Isaac threw his lunch all over the floor instead of eating it and there it stayed until the next day, pjs til noon, etc. Oh and then there was the day I completely forgot that Maddie had preschool. bag.gif And of course there is always the possiblity of things blowing up in your face. Since writing the first part of this paragraph two and half hours ago, I have burned the hell outta dinner making it inedible, Lucas screamed for over an hour and the older two got super cranky waiting for dinner. Fuuuuuunnnn....At least my house is still picked up.

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have my mom here helping out this week and though I appreciate the help it makes it difficult to get into a routine. We started a bit last week but now it's all different again with her here. anyway, it's nice to have her here, she's great with the other kids & they just love her. Also I'm a planner and feel most comfortable when I have a routine or at least a plan in place and that's hard to do with a newborn LOL. I don't know when he's going to want to eat or sleep or how long he will sleep for or where- worn, bed, swing, my lap?? Oh well, I"m just trying to go with his flow as much as I can for now because I know this stage will pass quickly. I just try to fit in the stuff that needs to get done whenever I can and still enjoy his tiny newbornness. I won't always be able to just sit in a chair and look at him while he sleeps :)

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
Old 03-08-2011, 12:45 PM

I hear you on the routine thing.  I can't wait til daycaregirl comes back on Monday - DS is watching TOO much TV, and is bored silly with no friends to play with.  Alice is very flexible and I'm not worried about her too much.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:32 PM

I'm 3 weeks in now.  Jenevieve is still pretty easy like Maiya was.  However, she does NOT want to be put down.  Ever.  I'm big into my wrap right now but every time she is in it she falls asleep, which would be GREAT except then she is up all night to make up for it.  So she's not really wrap-able yet, unless I want to be a total night owl.  And I only have so much TV to watch, you know?

Nosce - I agree with you on all of us crying on occasion.  Normally, the ladies sleep in until 9, but today they got up at 7am.  I was BEGGING for at least an extra hour, but neither girl was having it.  They both fortunately took a nap at 10, but I felt like a terrible parent because I literally just sat in front of the TV watching Shaun the Sheep and Jack's Big Music Show for that 3 hours.  Classy!  I also agree with you on the laundry.  Holy crap, between two kids in cloth diapers and the family laundry, I feel like it is going to overtake me.  I've actually considered putting Jeni in disposable diapers to ease the laundry up a little bit, but I think the cost keeps me from doing so.

Is anyone going to work out of the home full time?  I only have another 4 weeks on mat leave and I've got to begin pumping and bottle feeding at least a feeding a day with Jeni soon.  SO dreading that.  Pumping isn't bad, but I hate the struggle to switch to a bottle, even if it is just 3 feeds a day.

I'm Brooke!  I'm an avid knitter (ravelry:mamaaulait) and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my boy, River (9/2013).
Old 03-08-2011, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

I can NOT comprehend two in cloth dipes right now. I know there are tons of people who do it, but not me, mama. My dd potty learned right as I got pregnant so she had nine months of solid underwear literally under her belt before the baby came. She's having occasional accidents now but nothing to stress me out and I am SO. FREAKING. THANKFUL. that I don't have that many more diapers to contend with!

I got a bit crazy with the dipe buying with her though and guiltily admit to having a stash large enough to cloth diaper two to three children for over a week without washing. Ahem. And Elliott's plumped up enough by now to fit in the one-size fitteds and pockets so I really don't HAVE to wash all the time, you know? So that's nice. But then when I do get to washing, I've got like 5 humongous wetbags to deal with and all the other laundry gets put on hold...vicious cycle!

I've started thinking up things to entertain the toddler that don't require me when I'm up in the middle of the night changing diapers or nursing. I used blue painter's tape yesterday and taped a hopscotch track on her bedroom floor and showed her how to use it. Cheap, impermanent, and effective. She's in there for hours hopping around. Good way to get her using those large motor skills, too! Honestly this is the only way I'm surviving her right now. Playdoh in the morning, lunch at noon, quiet play and then time outdoors, painting while we're fixing dinner, bath and bed. I just wish Elliott enjoyed being worn more- Iris LOVED it, thrived on it. Elliott arches his back and screams in pretty much every carrier but the mei tai and even that one's hit and miss. Chasing a toddler or keeping her stimulated would be so much easier if I didn't have to use my arms to hold him. And like I said- he's already over 12 lb now so I'm starting to feel the burn after a few hours!

Mama to Iris, born 7/31/08, and Elliott, born 1/28/11!    Photoblogging a year in my daughter's life at iris365.wordpress.com and my son's first year at elliott365.wordpress.com
Old 03-09-2011, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

nosce- the  hopscotch is a great idea! 

aidden- yeah... my kids are watching a lot of movies. I remind myself it's temporary and summer will come and they will be outside all the time. Still... i notice a difference in their behavior when they are watching more tv than usual.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 PM

Well, I feel better after admitting our crappy TV habits. On good sleep days, we go to the park for an hour in the morning and run about the yard for another 45 minutes or so in the afternoon.  I live in Florida, so I can't use weather as an excuse, because it's really lovely out right now.  And as much as I love mothering.com, I do feel guilty because we probably do let her watch too much TV, even on good days (about 2 hours a day, 1.5 of which is programming we all love.  Right now we're doing a BBC series on train travel).  But, I was raised on a ton of TV and I turned out okay.  I think.  :)

Good indoor-play ideas I've foisted Maiya on are books, play dough, dancing with mommy's music (I can only do Laurie Berkner for so many songs, you know?), and helping me bake.  We've made a LOT of cookies here lately.  Sometimes I wish she was a little older so I could do more things like the hopscotch idea (GREAT idea!).  Any other suggestions, ladies?

The potty learning - I am so envious!  Mai urinates in the potty sometimes, but she's not been super gung-ho to learn to do it consistently, and she always prefers to have a BM in her diaper, though she does do us the favor of telling us directly after she's done so it's not all mushy in her lady bits.

I'm Brooke!  I'm an avid knitter (ravelry:mamaaulait) and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my boy, River (9/2013).
Old 03-09-2011, 01:42 PM

Oh, that hopscotch is such a great idea!! I'm totally stealing that!! It's crappy weather here & I CAN"T WAIT until it warms up & dries out so we can go outside!!! Still, I manage to keep the kids tv to about 1-1.5 hrs a day and I'm so OK with that. There's the odd day where they don't watch any. Then there's the odd day where they watch more but I pay for that because they act crazy after too much tv. I don't understand how they can get bored and not have anything to do with the amount of stuff they have to play with but it just takes a little creative suggesting from me, or getting down with them and starting them on something and they will play well for a long time.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 AM

so DH went back to work today after taking seven weeks off for bonding time! I am so relieved to have some me time. I love him to death but we haven't spent that much time together since we were teens. We work opposite shifts and don't always have days off together.

He gave me grief about CDing so I decided to wait till he went back to work to start using them. So other than a few times here and there, today is my first day with the cloth diapers. I can't believe how many sposies we've gone through already. It's time to break the vicious cycle.

So far I have as much wet clothes as I do diapers. I was thinking maybe I am not changing often enough. I guess that time between changes is different with CD?

Maybe I'm putting them on wrong? They seem tight.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Old 03-13-2011, 03:13 PM

What kind of diapers are you using Trekkingirl?  Are the covers covering the whole diaper?  Are they tight enough at the leg?

DH goes back to 13 hour shifts on Wednesday, and daycaregirl is back tomorrow.  My stepmother is coming on Wed. to check and make sure dinner gets cooked and DS gets to bed on Wednesday though!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11

Old 03-13-2011, 03:53 PM

I feel you on the shifts!  DH has been on 12's since he went back to work, and has been working every weekend.  Yesterday ended with him needing to go to sleep (he goes in at 3 am) and me crying on the couch.  Oy. 

I have been having diaper drama.  Bought some Rockin Green, used it on all the diapers, and the fleece is repelling?!?!  Wha?!  BUT I think that I figured it out.   My prefolds were not all the way prepped and I'm guessing that their oils got on the others and messed them up?  I hope that was it.  Washing them, and soaking, again.  Sans prefolds.

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:15 PM

trekking - are you using onsies?  you need to be careful with the legs of onsies wicking the moisture from the legs of CDs.

What kind of diapers are you using?

Henry is 3 weeks old (yesterday) and is quite a ham already.  He gained 1.5 pounds the first week....

We using small FBs which fit great, and the OS cotton babies organics and 4.0s (The 4.0s seem bulky around his waist though).

I also have PFs in covers but I find my thirsties covers to be the ones that tend to feel damp or wick the most.

Eleanor, maybe soak in Dawn?  it's good to help strip oils or residue.  I had a bad experience with rockin green....it didn't mesh with our well water.  I've tried everything and we are back to All F&C, although on my older son (whose diapers I was separately) I'll use Tide regular, his diapers can be kind of extreme....

So I'm 3 weeks pp now and can't even fit into my fat clothes yet.  Gross.  I swear, I didn't look this fat when I was 9 months pregnant.... *sigh*

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Old 03-13-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post

What kind of diapers are you using Trekkingirl?  Are the covers covering the whole diaper?  Are they tight enough at the leg?

DH goes back to 13 hour shifts on Wednesday, and daycaregirl is back tomorrow.  My stepmother is coming on Wed. to check and make sure dinner gets cooked and DS gets to bed on Wednesday though!

Lets see, I have so far used g diapers with a disposable insert and they seem to hold up pretty well. They are snug on the legs. Are they supposed to be snug? Also I have tried the fitted diaper with a prowrap cover and a bummis cover. The cover is enclosing the diaper all the way. I'm not used to how tight they fit. I think if I put them on loose than she would really pee through.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Old 03-13-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah you really have to put them on tightly and change more frequently. My understanding was that g diapers don't work too great with littles- you'll have better success when your baby isn't a newborn. Ditch the onsies if you're using those because of the wicking mentioned above. Bummis wraps get damp quickly I've noticed- I like the Thirsties the best.

Mama to Iris, born 7/31/08, and Elliott, born 1/28/11!    Photoblogging a year in my daughter's life at iris365.wordpress.com and my son's first year at elliott365.wordpress.com
Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM

I am loving my flip cover (with their stay-dry or a prefold) and my FB OS.  The rest of my stash of pockets are just eh.

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:00 PM

right now she is in a thirsties cover with a fitted and a g diaper insert in the fitted. no pee through so far today. NAK

Old 03-13-2011, 08:17 PM

My older one is in FB's, the old sized system.  I hate them; I wish she would potty train.  We have well water and I have tried what feels like EVERYTHING but the inserts still stink when she pees in them.  They don't smell at all when they come out of the dryer, so I am at a loss.  I've just given up buying any new synthetics/microfiber.

Jeni is in GMD prefolds and the Thirsties Duo snap wrap.  Has anyone else tried these?  I am new to the world of wraps, and I wasn't crazy about spending a ton of cash on the sized Thirsties.  They seem to be doing the job as long as I Snappi the prefold, but I have had two blowouts.  How many covers do you ladies who use covers have?  I'm getting ready to buy the size two and don't want to under/over buy.  I do use wool covers at night though.

I did have my lame diapering moment where I loaned some small FBs to a friend, and I thought she washed them okay, so I was going to use them at night when my prefolds were in the wash.  I woke up at 2am to change Jeni, which normally doesn't wake her up, except the inserts TOTALLY repelled everything, so she was completely soaked.  So, I changed her whole outfit while cursing and then she decided to wake up so we watched a couple hours of BBC dramas together.  Not how I wanted to spend my time at 2am!  I'm in the same "stripping diapers" boat as Eleanor now!  :)

Old 03-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Eden, our well water is stinky too.  Such a bummer, we used to live in Maine with public water which was basically Poland Springs Water - I had the best diapers there...no stains, no issues, so soft.  Now we have a front loader and well water down here in Mass.  So gross....I use RLR to strip in our jacuzzi tub.  LOL...my husband thinks I'm insane but my older son's diapers require it from time to time.  Especially the MF inserts and my BG AIOs.  My husband will sneak in bleach (ACK!) into the diaper wash for my son which has eaten the PUL on some of his pockets and AIOs.  So annoying, but I agree with him they do tend to smell like sewer at times.  I think sunning them in the summer will help.

Elanor, I love my Flips too!  We love the organic AIOs from BG too, we use them overnight and they work great.  My 2 year old wears his own stash of them, and he's a big boy and can still fit in them great (better than the velcro AIOs which tend to come undone sometimes...).  As One size diapers go, and I've used quite a few, I think these are pretty awesome.

What makes me a little sad, is the pile of tiny newborn diapers that already don't fit.  Henry was such a loaf that he barely could wear any of the teeny tiny little fitteds I just HAD to buy.

I think I'm going to start selling them and buy myself some bravado tanks.... :) 

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM

Alice still isn't big enough for the Flips or the SM. Fuzzibunz.  She JUST fits the BG on the smallest setting.

Trekkingirl, it does sound like you'll need to change her more often - once the diaper part is soaked, it's a short time til the cover leaks.  And watch around the legs - the cover needs to be tight enough to conceal everything or you'll get wicking and leaks. 

aidenn, I like to have 8 covers. min for the nb period, when you get more blowouts.  As they get older they poop less often and make less mess, so I only have 6.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:31 PM

Well Eden...I'm STILL IN THE BOAT!!!  ARG!!!  Washed them, again, with a soak and extra rinse.  No bubbles at any point, and.........LEAKING right out!  If I put water on the inner of the diaper it just balls up, doesn't soak in unless I push on the water, if that makes any sense.  Cuss.gif

So we are using the rest of our now very very tiny NB sposies.  Things were going so well, diaper wise!  IDK if it was the Rockin Green or me washing the possibly not fully stripped prefolds with the pockets.  Argggzzzzz....

Well, at least baby is well and growing and I am feeling good.  At least!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Sarah - When do you size down from NB period to regular baby period?  Jenevieve is a little chunkamuffin so we're getting ready to buy some size 2 covers already.  Jeni has regular times when she has a BM, but they're still the EBF type.

Eleanor - We're still rowing in the boat too.  I washed them in the sink in Dawn and triple rinsed them in the washing machine and they still repel every little drop.  At this point, I don't think she'll fit in the smalls, but I would like to prep them to give to another mama.

Michelle - I could write a diatribe about our water.  Without some super expensive filtration system, our water is brown and red from all the rust.  Even with our house filtration system, I still wouldn't drink the stuff.  It's fine for showering, but I'd really love to be on city water.  This from a girl that grew up in one of the towns listed on the "Worst 20 Cities for Public Water"!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:59 PM

Well....I washed them.  Again.  I still think they are repelling but am just going to use them and HOPE.  I have tried Dawn, hot washes, again and again.  WTF?  I am going to just pretend like they are fine and hope I am right.  :-)

Glad you love them too Michelle!  Right now they are the only thing not leaking.  Even better!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:04 AM

are you putting them in the dryer?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:51 AM

Elenor- Fingers crossed!  You can't trust the dripping water on them test - they need pressure to absorb through fleece.

Eden - My 'nb' is actually 'sm' since my first was big - I keep forgetting that Alice is so much smaller, and will be in nb diapers a lot longer!  DS outgrow size small at around 4 months.  He was still having EBF poops, but they were easier to contain in bigger diapers, and just seemed less explosive.

Alice has had a rough time of it with the OALD and gas over the past 4-5 days, but seems to be settling now that I know what's wrong and how to fix it.  Poor little girl.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Ugh now I feel better about watching TV... It is cat in the hat followed by super why every morning for my toddler. But hey at least he learns something, he totally knows the letters now... And later on I let him watch Sesame Street - he loves it too mcuh and it gives me time to eat, cook, clean and such. DH has his paternity leave of 10 days now which will end on Sunday (military counts weekend days as work days, so the 10 days include Saturday and Sunday). We have been so ridiculously busy with remodeling the kitchen (what was I thinking...)... And all but DH had been sick recently with a cold, DD still coughs up mucus that originates from her nose (gross I know, it's like a postnasal drip and then comes out with spit-up)... At least she is gaining well, she weighed 9lb 6oz at 4 weeks which is a full 3 pounds over her birth weight. I have no idea how much she weighs now at 6.5 weeks, everybody says she looks tiny still, but she definitely has hamster cheeks and about 3 chins now. ;)

I had mastitis 3 weeks ago which was treated with 10 days of Amoxocilin, at quite a high dosage. I took 3 probiotics pills every day to prevent thrush and ate my stoneyfield yogurt religiously, luckily it worked out. Just as I finished the abxs though we all got that viral cold, yikes. Not to mention that RSV is going around in town and I already know two little girls who were hospitalized for it within the past 2 weeks, one ended up with pneumonia, but recovered fully.

@ Trekking: I hated gdiapers with DS, they wick, leak and the liner gets dirty with every usage. DD wore sposies for the first two weeks, size preemie as the cord hadn't come off yet and all the CDs were way too big. She now wears infant prefolds, folded over in the back a little and fastened with a Snappi. I use Bummi Superbrite covers and my homemade covers which resemble Thirsties sized covers. I do have a Thirsties XS but that is way too baggy still. I don't like the fit of Prorap newborn, I find it too tall yet not wide enough around the tummy. Our BG XS and Dreameze S fit her now, so that's nice. I can't wait until the one size diapers will fit her - we have a mix of BG 4.0 (can't fathom those fitting her for a long time even on the smallest setting, they are huge), Coolababy, Sunbaby and a couple sized Fuzzibunz and Drybees (size S looks like it will fit from 3-12 months, those S sizes are huge!). I have a feeling one size diapers will only fit large newborns and newborns that gain really fast. We have absolutely no leaks with prefolds and covers, and DD wears onesies all the time. We only had leaks with the sposies (up the back).

Old 03-17-2011, 10:43 AM

Yes I am Amanda.  Is this a no-no?  It's still so very cold here that I haven't even thought about line drying.

Good to know Sarah!  I was getting so discouraged.  One leak on one diaper.  I can't wait for my other OS FB's to get here!  They give me the least issues.  Also, the diapers seem, to only be leaking, like pouring out leaking, when he's on his side.  Hmmm...too loose in the legs still I assume as all I have are a variety of OS.  Need to use the prefolds and Flip covers until he chunks out a bit maybe.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:52 PM

No I think the dryer would be a good thing- I know when I first started cding they leaked until they had been washed and dried in the dryer a few times.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:26 PM

I ended up not nursing my twins due to not making enough milk and because of my emotional state at the time due to my upsetting birth I didn't try as hard as i could have because i figured formula was better than a crazy crying emotional mama. They are almost 2 months now and I feel a lot better and I'm wondering could I try nursing again or is it too late?

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
Old 03-25-2011, 04:39 PM

Well, things around here have been rather crazy and hectic. We all had colds for awhile, then DS1 started cutting teeth. The poor baby is currently cutting eight teeth! He's been an absolute bear, but Tylenol has helped. We're down to a dose in the morning and in the evening, so hopefully it will end soon! Then I got a stomach bug that I'm still working on getting over. Luckily I'm not still sick, just no appetite and I'm pretty tired. I was hoping it would at least be a good form of weight loss, but so far not so much. 

Lucas is doing great, though! He's a lil chunk and continues to nurse and poo like a pro!! He'll be two months in just a few days. I can't believe how fast its going by! It seems like it will be gone before I get to enjoy it, ya know?! Taking in every moment I can. love.gif

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

User Tag List