life on the other side. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So. Mamas who have already had their babies- how's it going? Brags? Struggles?

I just got over the breast engorgement and a 6-hour milk fever scare. So happy to be done with that! Elliott is five days old now, full of sleep smiles and poopy diapers lol.

Mama to Iris, born 7/31/08, and Elliott, born 1/28/11!    Photoblogging a year in my daughter's life at iris365.wordpress.com and my son's first year at elliott365.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 04:32 PM

Things here are still going really well. Can't believe my babies are already 3wks old! Nursing is going well and they sleep really well at night, usually only up once around 3-4am. I've lost most of the baby weight and have been back in pre-pg pants since before 2wks pp, of course I still have a little bit of a belly I can't wait to get worked off. We still have some crazy days, usually from the older 3. Today is one of those days, the 2yr old took off his diaper at naptime and smeared poop everywhere in his room, ugh. Overall things have been great though :)

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 PM

nak

my engorgement was really bad, cantaloupes on my chest. better now except i have a rash around my nipples. i think it might be from the disposable nursing pads i've been wearing. anybody heard of this?

been trying to go grocery shopping for about a week now. maybe tomorrow

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Old 02-02-2011, 04:23 AM

Don't have a babe yet (come on, baby, you and Elliott had the same due date!!), but crashing this discussion to say that disposable nursing pads gave me a rash, too, and blocked ducts as well.  I found these and they were amazing for absorbing my oversupply, although not great to wear in public if you're in a t-shirt and worried about the circle showing (I wore a lined/padded bra to help with that, because I couldn't go anywhere without them!): http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?products_id=229.

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Sposie nursing pads were nothing but trouble for me. I switched to cloth a few months in with my daughter and will never go back. I still have the box of disposables from almost three years ago- those suckers are expensive!- and keep meaning to pass them on but honestly cloth is so much better that I'd feel bad for not showing them the light!

I've got teardrop shaped pads from Homestead Emporium and they're pretty discrete, but also really love my Lanacare wool pads which are bulletproof. I had a major overactive letdown last time and think I do this time too- I'll be using cloth pads at least through the first year!

Elliott's got his first pediatrician appointment today, 6 days old. Our doc is a 20 min drive from my house though, and I'm going without my husband. Me, the 2.5 year old, and a newborn in the car for a "20 min. drive".  Any suggestions on how many hours early I should leave to make it there on time? lol.gif

Mama to Iris, born 7/31/08, and Elliott, born 1/28/11!    Photoblogging a year in my daughter's life at iris365.wordpress.com and my son's first year at elliott365.wordpress.com
Old 02-02-2011, 03:37 PM

Thanks guys. I am starting to wonder if it's thrush? I did buy some reusable bra pads today.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Old 02-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We are at four days old and its been one crazy week! DD has a virus and has had a fever since last Friday, DS1 has a cold and is snotting all over the place, DH also has a cold and then we got hit with that huge winter storm yesterday. We've got something like an inch and a half of ice covering everything. Luckily, our power lines are buried, so we didn't lose power at all! But the sick older two plus teeny baby plus recovering from delivery....I am very ready for another week to go by and life to get into a far more normal groove!

This delivery seems to have taken a lot more out of me physically than either of my previous ones, although given the circumstances I shouldn't be surprised by that, eh? I'm really glad that we planned ahead and talked with a postpartum doula and asked for extra help from family. Course that was to get some extra support to try to avoid ppd, but it works out for how drained I am.

I've wanted to look into reusable nursing pads for awhile now. I'll have to check those ones out! Thanks!! :)

BTW, what does "nak" mean??

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

NAK-- nursing at keyboard. It's a way of saying, "sorry for the typos but I've barely got two fingers to type with." thumb.gif

I'd be worn out too, 3xMama!! Sounds like it was quite the birth. I'm still shocked by how gentle E's birth was, but am riding a massive tide of insane hormones and that's exhausting enough. I can't imagine trying to process a complicated birth too. hug.gif

I'm so, so thankful that people have brought us food to eat postpartum! I veered from the traditional baby shower and asked only for a bead for my birth necklace and a meal for my freezer. Some friends and family drove all the way from Oregon and packed a whole Igloo freezer for us! It's been so nice to just be able to pull things out without thinking, all the way down to cubes of pesto and poppyseed pancakes. I feel so taken care of, even from afar. Beats a pack of outgrown-before-he-ever-got-here onsies any day, if you ask me!

So the trip to the ped. was amazing. I take my kids to the same doctor I saw as a child and he is by far the most gentle, empathetic, loving man I have ever met. Never questions us about vaccines or cosleeping and is always quick to comment on how smart my daughter is. I thought maybe I'd get a little flack about homebirth though- the receptionist seemed baffled when I explained that our son had never been in a hospital- but when the Dr. walked into the room he grinned and said that my midwife's notes on the birth and postpartum were more complete than any hospital birth he'd ever seen! YEAH!

Elliott's looking great- 8lb6 at birth, 8lb1 two days ago, and now back up to 8lb3. That kid can eat.

The car ride was shockingly easy- my daughter hated her carseat until we turned her from rearfacing when she met the height/weight requirements and screamed nonstop, no matter what. I was bracing for something similar but he sleeps! I took my daughter out to lunch after the doc. appt and he slept in the sling the whole time while we ate, and then back to sleep for the drive home. I could have peed my pants, guys. Having a high-needs child first has really made me expect the worst out of babies, to be honest. I'm starting to think I should have but Karma in Elliott's name somewhere- he does seem to be such a delicious reward after Iris' first year. That girl was tough.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Oh man, cluster feeding. I laughed at the nurses last time when they asked me if my daughter was nursing about every two hours- I never did snap by bra back up that entire first year! Looks like this one is going to do the same. Talk me away from the edge- my baby knows what he needs and that doesn't necessarily line up with "every two hours", right? Because I am THIS CLOSE to losing it. Ah, hormones. faint.gif

Old 02-06-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

How's it going, mamas?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:13 PM

wow nosce my LO is wanting to nurse constantly too! I'm glad I am not the only one. I have been questioning nursing on demand because she just seems to be a bottomless pit! At the hospital when she was under the bili lights they had me nursing every two hours for 15min on each side. I tried to stick with that when we got home because it worked well in the hospital....... but Aubrey has other plans. I hope it's just a phase because it's hard to get anything done when you are constantly nursing.

I have had a headache for 10 days now. I wake up with it really bad and it lasts all day, every day! Starting to really effect my life but I don't know what to do about it. My OB was no help at all. She said drink water, eat frequently, and try to rest. None of this helps! Other than that I am doing pretty well. My DH has six weeks paid time off through California paid family leave program. He has taken to being my personal chef and house maid! He's a keeper!

Not DTD has been an issue as of late. Even with a headache! DH and I are both excited not to have my big belly ackwardness turning us into acrobats, but alas the OB says I have to wait for SIX weeks. Torture!

Old 02-06-2011, 04:29 PM

Clara was born yesterday, so this is just day 1! she did give us a nice 7 hour stretch last night and has been eating every hour or so since. milk is not in yet but I am a little apprehensive about the pain and engorgement that are coming my way. last time I was tandeming and my son took care of any problems!!! i don't have that luxury this time.

I have been feeling really great and my bleeding is much less than with the other kids so far. I have to force myself to stay in bed but I look forward to returning to the world--and its only the first day!!!

sometimes i get little waves of anxiety, wondering how i will be able to handle 4, wondering if she will be a sleeper like DS and DD2 were...and the anxiety about if my milk will come in a regulate well.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Old 02-06-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

10 days in here, and the cluster feeding is balancing out. I think he was just adjusting my milk supply, really. I got a cracked nipple sometime during the engorgement stage due to a bad latch and didn't notice it until my cups were back in the first half of the alphabet and so that's been tough to beat. I was so reluctant to nurse him on that side, so I almost wonder if he was countering it by nursing more frequently to build more milk in the other breast? I don't know. Anyway. I picked up a nipple shield yesterday and have only had to use it twice and we're already back on track. Hooray! He's gaining too, looks so round and full.

I didn't tear during this birth and it's amazing how whole and healthy my body feels. Last time I was almost afraid of touching myself because there was so much damage. I feel like if I wanted to, I could DTD right away. I don't think we're going to wait six weeks- my midwife didn't say anything about it but even if she had, I feel really good. Now, finding the time and energy to do so between a toddler and a newborn is a totally different story!

We're at that stage where the newborn gets super peely everywhere- his hands look like somebody took sandpaper to him lol.

My husband's taking the whole month off (we run our own business and have been working to afford this luxury all year) and it's been really nice to have him mind our daughter, run the laundry, and man the phone lines. It's kind of offsetting my getting into a routine, though. I have little reason to get out of bed and make do when he's already down there. I know I should be helping and the longer I laze around the more shocking it's going to be when he goes back to work. It's such a delicate balance- I keep thinking the lochia is ending but then after a very active day out of bed, it comes back full blast. And Elliott would just love it if I stayed in this bed forever in the endless loop of nurse, diaper, nurse, sleep, nurse, diaper, nurse...

Old 02-06-2011, 07:49 PM

Babe is cluster feeding around the clock. I'm guessing we won't be leaving the house for a while, since nursing a newborn while trying to keep my toddler busy seems really impossible.  However, there was no "milk coming in" madness. It just slowly trickled in, no engorgement or anything. Baby is a great nurser though, for which I am SO thankful. My last two babies had issues that made those early weeks a nightmare. 

The other good thing is that my perineum is amazingly untraumatized! I took stool softeners right after delivery in anticipating of pooping (lol!) and it wasn't an ordeal at all. I had no tearing either, so I feel pretty good.  What hurts are my hips. They feel so loose and rickety. 

For the afterpains, I've been taking ibuprofen and wearing a belly binder.  They haven't been too horrible this time. Still uncomfortable though.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 PM

Well honestly things haven't been going very well , having trouble processing my disappointment in the birth as well as my milk is pretty much nonexistant and having to give the boys formula is literally making me a crying mess. They are healthy and well though so i guess I should be focused on that, but i feel like such a bad mom with my milk not coming in right that i'm just sad all the time, i feel like a total failure =(. 

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 PM

sorry for the vent/ whine.

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
Old 02-07-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

hug2.gif Hugs, Chula. I am so sorry you're going through this! The first week postpartum is hard enough as it is- I know I'm struggling! It is okay to grieve when things don't work out the way you've been planning, you know? Give yourself some space- a few weeks at least- for things to change. I have to remind myself every day that things will look so, so different in another week or two. And I really try to remember that I've been here before--and survived it.

You're doing the best you can, mama. Your family knows that, and doing the best is all you've got, you know? Hang in there!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 AM

chula sorry you're having a tuff time girl. When were your boys born? I haven't been updating that much with a LO. I can relate to what you are going through. My first was an unplanned c section and we never got nursing down and wound up bottle feeding. Not sure exactly what your situation is but wanted to offer some support. Maybe see a lactation nurse?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 AM

I'm so sorry, Chula!  I'm not sure what your situation is, but my last baby had feeding issues and my milk didn't come in right either.  I was a crying mess for weeks and so sleep deprived from pumping and getting virtually nothing and having to formula feed. It was horrible. We made it out on the other side, though it took 4 weeks.  Just take it one day at a time. And be kind to yourself.  You ARE doing the best you can and you're giving your babies what they need most-- the love of their mom--and that has nothing to do with what they eat.  BIG HUGS, mama!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:21 PM

Thanks ladies I really appreciate the support. I'll keep trying to nurse and just let myself go through this grieving process for the boys birth .

Old 02-07-2011, 02:21 PM

Chula - I have two friends who have had twins and they both really struggled with breastfeeding at first. It's a pretty big demand on your body when you're also recovering from surgery. I'm sorry that you're grieving about the birth. I hope you'll be gentle with yourself. Has your headache gone yet? I'm sure that doesn't help when you feel emotionally fragile. Thinking of you...

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
Old 02-07-2011, 02:41 PM

Hey Chula--I'm also sorry you're going through such a hard time hug2.gif  That's a lot to take in and deal with all at once, so please go easy on yourself.  You are a strong woman and it's often the strongest people who allow themselves to grieve and let go of expectations.  We are here for you blowkiss.gif

Old 02-07-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama View Post

Chula - I have two friends who have had twins and they both really struggled with breastfeeding at first. It's a pretty big demand on your body when you're also recovering from surgery. I'm sorry that you're grieving about the birth. I hope you'll be gentle with yourself. Has your headache gone yet? I'm sure that doesn't help when you feel emotionally fragile. Thinking of you...

I'm trying I just never thought i would be in a position where i could say my c-section was better than my homebirth but it was, such a sad thing for me someone who is such a proponent of homebirth. Also I was told  that because they had to make a different incision on my uterus that it's not likely that i will be able to vbac so the thought that judah's birth was my last  natural birth is just very depressing and then not being able to feed them has just made it all so much harder. Physically though I do feel much better no more headache or hives.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:36 PM

@ rainbow_mandala , thanks I really don't know what i would do without the support of you ladies right now, I don"t think the people I know IRL understand what I am going through at all.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:56 PM

Hugs to you, Chula.

Lucas has been having some latching issues. The lactation consultant at the hospital said he was just tense and he would eventually relax and loosen up. Well, he didn't. My midwife checked out his tounge and upper lip to see if either were attached. His upper lip is bound to his gum but his tounge is fine. So at our two week follow up, she's going to have to clip it. Poor baby. greensad.gif I am not looking forward to the procedure at all, but I guess its better to get it done asap instead of waiting...

On the plus side, despite the long labor, I'm feeling better physically much quicker than I did with either of my other births!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

Old 02-09-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

3x- how old is Lucas now?

Elliott's 13 days old now and he's just now beginning to nurse effortlessly. My first latched right on at birth and never had an issue, except for coughing and sputtering at my overactive letdown. I've got the OALD again and E seems to be handling it well- finally figured out it was better to just pop off and wait than to try to gulp it all down. In the beginning he'd latch on but wouldn't suck- just look at me like, what now? Things are a lot better.

It's been really difficult for me to remember that while I know how to breastfeed, he's never done this before. I keep getting frustrated, expecting him to nurse like Iris did. I never had to monitor her nursing in a sling or while side-lying, even at four or five days old. Just pulled up my shirt and let her have at it.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Nevermind, just read your siggy lol. You're not too far from the 2 wk visit, thankfully! I mean it sucks that he has to have it clipped but from what I hear it's a minor job and things will get better afterward, right?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:16 PM
mcs

hello! so glad to be here "on the other side" of birth, and finally, onth other side of the hospital walls too! horrah!

it is a long story, i've started to write it, maybe i will have time to post tomorrow...but in the end, i don't think that meryl had a problem- i think that we were just caught in a medical web. it was really- really hard to be in the hospital for so long- she was in the intensive care unit, so i wasn't alllowed to hold her or nurse her as i wanted to, and for the fist few days i was having gorilla hormonal attacks, just going nuts not to be able to "love" her- in the end, they got me a new nurse who was a little more "loose" and i loosened up too. lol- i think that i traumatized that other mean lady. it was really hard language wise- it was kind of my worst-case scenerio nightmare. the "help" from dh's family turned out to be a lot of work for us- with dh often needing to be at home- leaving me alone at the hospital and, last friday, his dad left and dd2 was sick, so i was alone for the whole weekend. but....i did it! i worked through the language stuff and the wild hormones and the lonliness- and came to terms with life not giving what we expect.  i think that it made me stronger and probably more ready to deal with the reality of having a new born- which is of course, rarely as one plans or hopes for (or at least changing in and out of hopes by the min/hour.)

we have been home for two days now and meryl seems, so far, like a really easy baby- she eats well, sleeps well, rarely cries, lets her sisters over love and over hold her- and looks cute all of the time. since she started sleeping alone at the hospital, and for such long stratches, we are trying to go with it here too. it is a little strange for me, and i can imagine that i might end up too exhausted from her long nursing sessions and start to keep her in bed, but it seems to suit her well. we will see how it goes.

my body is so much better than with my other two- no c/s and no tear do make recovery seem like a breeze.  andmy afterpains were also not too bad- i didnt need to take anything for them.

dh was`alreasy back at work yesterday, but my household helper started today. i am not sure how i feel about it/her yet- i am trying to be relaxed about everything. and that is the update. i thought that i would check in with everything else on the board, but i am too tired. tommorrow.

chulla- i hope that you are starting to feel a little better. i had a c/s with my first and i think that the recovery is often so down-played. it is a physical thing to recover from, but what takes a toll on the body also takes a toll on the mind. it is exhausting in so many ways- and then twins and nursing trouble too..... like everyone has been saying, go easy on yourself. hugs.

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 PM

mcs, I'm glad things are looking up!

We've had some latch issues. He started as a great nurser, but as my milk came in, I think his latch got messed up and I didn't realize right away. Then, my nipples were scabby and painful and my milk supply took a nose dive. I started pumping and bottlefeeding last night and all day today and he's pooping and peeing a TON and he's happy and content again. It makes me sad that he was pretty much hungry for the past 2 days :(  I have an LC coming tomorrow, so hopefully she can help fix the latch problem and transition him back to the breast. On the plus side, this pumping gave my nipples a break so they're healing and won't be as ouchy tomorrow when I try nursing again.

He's also a little yellow (but, imo, not that much at all), but his ped wants me to get a blood test. I've dealt with jaundice before and I can tell this will flush out now that he's eating really well.  His face is slightly yellow and his trunk even less so. His limbs are completely clear.  I know the ped is just being cautious, and I don't want to tick him off because he's so great about not vaxing, homebirthing, not circing and everything else, but it just seems so unnecessary. Sigh.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM

nak

Aubrey is 17 d old now. I can't believe I've been through that many nights with her!

She wakes more often than i remember ds waking. got a side car today, hope that will make me feel safer co sleeping.

next sat i'm having a meet the baby party and the tues after i'm finally having a baby shower. i'm exhausted just thinking about it!

i still have a headache. been about two weeks now with zero relief. still having major night sweats too. headaches are worse during the night and when i first wake up in the morning.

User Tag List