false labor real labor false labor real labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's driving me crazy! Waking up each night with contractions thinking "this is it" only to have them subside. Today had mild regular ones for like 5 hours and then they sort of petered out or at least decreased to the point where they were pretty ignorable and didn't seem too regular.

With my first my water broke before anything else happened so when contractions started there was no doubt as to it being the "real thing".

It's all fine it's just an emotional roller coaster because I start psyching myself up to be able to do it, start thinking through how we'll manage DS, etc and then it all stops....

OK going to eat some homemade frosting out of the jar...

bf-ing, family bedding, head-mostly-in-clouds mama to one awesome big boy (08/08), one angel (01/10), a crazy little boy (02/11) and two neurotic cats. New arrival in June?!!! Raising kids bilingual - EN/SP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 07:59 PM

I hear ya...going through something similar myself greensad.gif  Been having contractions on and off the past week or so, most of the time they're sporadic enough that I don't get my hopes up.  Today I started experiencing contractions as soon as I woke up and they've been continuing throughout the day...there doesn't seem to be a regular pattern, though, and they don't last very long.  Very frustrating.  It's zapping my energy, making me extra irritable...blah.  I'll send us both some "go-into-real-labor" vibes goodvibes.gif winky.gif

Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 PM

So so so there with you guys.  Up last night, didn't *think* they were real but I was all hot with each one and some lower ab pain....and no change today at my appt.  Sigh.

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 PM

I'll join this club, too!  This is my first so I have no idea what to expect other than what I hear from others.  Twice now I've had regular contractions for a few hours that made my hubby and I get all excited and psyching ourselves up for it, and then both times, it just stopped.  What the heck!  My doula assured me no contraction is wasteful, it's all part of the process.  But it really does make me wonder when things really will happen for *real*...  It's craziness, this waiting game!

Happily married to my best friend, and nature loving mama treehugger.gif of one sweet boy (Feb 2011). femalesling.GIF

Old 02-08-2011, 05:18 AM

I'm here and exhausted from it...

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

Old 02-08-2011, 05:55 AM

That was me on saturday, I was SO MISERABLE but then sunday I woke up fine, got up and went for 2 long walks.  NOTHING.

Today is my due date, by the time the baby comes I'll be drained....

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Old 02-08-2011, 07:34 AM

Add me to the pile of folks who are irritated by start and stop labor!

As a result of all this, I am at 5cm already, which is cool, but it's hard to stay happy and focused on this when I feel like a time bomb with a broken clock.  :)

Last week the midwife even came out because they were regular.  Then they petered out.  I felt terrible that she came all that way to watch my happy self just la la la through these contractions.  I've decided that even if she is 45 minutes away I'm not calling her until my water breaks because no matter how strong the stupid things are, they just go away.  I'd rather have a UC than keep dealing with this.  Oy!

Now my midwife is sending me all these foods to try (pineapple, Scalini's eggplant parmesean, macaroni and cheese with A-1 sauce) to jump start labor.  I don't want to eat any of them.

I'm Brooke!  I'm an avid knitter (ravelry:mamaaulait) and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my boy, River (9/2013).
Old 02-08-2011, 08:03 AM

I've been dealing with this as well and it SUCKS! Last night, the contractions were the strongest they've ever been and they kept waking me up/keeping me awake. 

Today is my due date and I'm ready to be done with it! Today's my own birthday, though, and tomorrow supposed to get more ice (which makes car travel almost impossible in Texas) so I don't know what I want!

Laura, married to Daniel 12/16/2000
Claire b. 6/29/06 and Andrew b. 4/20/08 and #3 due 2/8/11!!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mac n cheese with A1 sauce-  ewwwwwww. I've never heard that one.

I've tried the eggplant parm and the pineapple - can't say that they did anything either way, although I did get a lot of gas from the eggplant. Today I'm not feeling a thing!

I did talk to a friend who had this happen to her for the week before she actually gave birth and she had a 3 hour labor (went to the hospital at 10am right after getting a pedicure and then had the baby in her arms by 1pm!) so here's hoping that's what will happen to all of us!!!

bf-ing, family bedding, head-mostly-in-clouds mama to one awesome big boy (08/08), one angel (01/10), a crazy little boy (02/11) and two neurotic cats. New arrival in June?!!! Raising kids bilingual - EN/SP.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:11 PM

Joining in...looks like this is more common than we think!  redface.gif  I woke up 3 nights ago having contractions 2-3 minutes apart for two hours!!!  then i went to sleep, and they were random after that.  irked.gif  oh, well.... i think i'll focus on:

Quote:

I did talk to a friend who had this happen to her for the week before she actually gave birth and she had a 3 hour labor (went to the hospital at 10am right after getting a pedicure and then had the baby in her arms by 1pm!) so here's hoping that's what will happen to all of us!!!

I must say, though, that pineapple always is a craving for me right before labor!!!!  yum!!!!!!!

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdingkittens View Post

I must say, though, that pineapple always is a craving for me right before labor!!!!  yum!!!!!!!

I've been craving pineapple for a couple of weeks now. The fresh pineapple in the store looks so good but it's so expensive.

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
Old 02-08-2011, 04:51 PM

yeah, and only fresh will do - the canned stuff doesn't cut it.   let's all toast with a nice hot cup of raspberry leaf tea, then!  teapot2.GIF

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdingkittens View Post

yeah, and only fresh will do - the canned stuff doesn't cut it.   let's all toast with a nice hot cup of raspberry leaf tea, then!  teapot2.GIF

How about frozen pineapple?  I've been putting some in my smoothies lately.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:20 PM

Since the prodromal labor kept me up last night, I'm so tired today!

I'm considering having my membranes swept Thursday or Friday if I haven't gone into real labor by then. I'd be 41 weeks based on LMP and early u/s, so I'm pretty sure my midwife would do it if conditions were favorable. 

Any thoughts?

Laura, married to Daniel 12/16/2000
Claire b. 6/29/06 and Andrew b. 4/20/08 and #3 due 2/8/11!!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 PM

I would say do it....but that's me!  I am thinking of doing it at 40, if my midwife thinks it's a good idea.  Here's to hoping the show is over by then though!

Fresh pineapple, not canned eh?  Well I'll add it to the list.  NOT that I'm in a rush at 38.5 but I sure am sick of this fake stuff!

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 AM

This is totally me.  I even had DH come home from out of town on Monday night because I thought it was the real thing.  Now he's here and his work is saying for him to stay until the baby is born, but it could be weeks (I'm 38 wks) and his team can't have him gone that long.  *sigh*  Last night we went for a long walk around the mall, and I'm going to try the pinneapple.  I'm 2 cm, 80% effaced and he's at -2 to -1 station.  But that's where I was last week.  Its so frustrating.  Right there with all you prodromal mamas!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:42 PM

I actually spoke to my midwife about labor starts - pineapple, RRL, massage, accupuncture, etc etc.

She's been around and is  known as a great MW here in Mass and seems to think that labor starting is hormonal and won't really start be eating an entire pineanpple (there is one sitting on my counter right now, just saying).  Like, if your body isn't ready anyway it's not going to be pushed over the edge by eating a pineapple.  (bummer).

The only thing she seems to think might sort of help is EPO in the vagina (or orally but the burps/heartburn from it is too much for me to bear).

Also, she said walking.  I agree...I went into labor the night after a LONG DAY OF WALKING with #2.

I'm over the 40 week mark at this point...I've been having tons of BH but really need to increase my water uptake (and of course I've been drinking RRL tea so that's not helping either).

I honestly thought I was going into labor on saturday.  What a sham.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

LoveLife - I am also 2cm, 80% effaced!

I lost my mucus plug today which was kind of cool and gross at the same time.

My midwife swept my membranes today - we'll see if anything happens from it. It seemed fairly non-invasive in my opinion although I've heard that it might hurt for some people. I must say that I was kind of eager to do "something" and she had offered so, well, I took her up on it. I'm going to get acupuncture tomorrow as well.

She also said that she thinks I'm having stop/start labor because the baby seems posterior. So I'm on a steady diet of cat/cow pose, not reclining, etc. Doing cat/cow for awhile after dinner tonight gave me horrible indigestion!

Anyone have tips for getting baby into a good position? Are your babes in the right place?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 AM

I have had great success getting posterior babies to turn by using this method:

Knee/chest position for 45 minutes. This backs baby out of the pelvis to prep him for getting him in the proper position http://www.glowm.com/resources/glowm/graphics/figures/v2/0780/003f.gif 

Immediately go into Exaggerated Sims for 45 minutes. This is laying on your left side (almost on your stomach) with your right knee brought over and up toward your chest as high as possible. You can stuff a pillow under your belly to make it more comfy.

After you have completed this, remain upright to encourage baby back down into the pelvis. You can usually tell by the look of your belly if baby has turned from his posterior position...It should be nice and round. A posterior belly has a flat spot (3-4") surrounding your belly button.

I've also read about the Diaphragmatic Release but I haven't tried it yet http://www.naturalchildbirth.org/natural/resources/labor/labor29.htm 

I hope your baby cooperates :0)

Old 02-10-2011, 11:19 AM

I had my MW appointment yesterday.  Baby is in the perfect position, right down the middle of my uterus and anterior.  She's actually dropped lower, so there are times in the evening when I feel the bowling ball between the legs feelings some ladies describe.  It doesn't seem to bother me as much early on in the morning though.  I have no more mucous plug (and haven't for about 3-4 days now) and I have plenty of painful real contractions daily, but without any sort of consistency.

I am NOT currently: drinking RRL tea (am I the only one who hates tea?!), eating pineapple (love the stuff too much to want to burn out on it), eating eggplant parm (ugh, eggplant), eating mac & cheese with A-1 (fine separately, but together, ick!), or having sex (my husband has a round belly and so do I.  There is no position I could even see myself getting comfortable in, let alone enjoying the expense of energy.  Lazy!).  I walk the dog about a mile a day already, so I'm not hoofing it any more in case I need that extra energy for labor.  

Not that all the above things aren't great for people to try.  I just appear to be very crabby and stubborn about trying any of it myself!  :)

I am trying to remember like FinnegansMom said, that labor beginning is hormonal.  I've considered grabbing some black/blue cohosh at the natural market after work, but I always make excuses on why I'm not down there buying the silly stuff.

I'm Brooke!  I'm an avid knitter (ravelry:mamaaulait) and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my boy, River (9/2013).
Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 AM

Just a tip a friend passed on to me to help w/ the EPO burps.. drink a hot liquid directly after taking the capsule, it helps dissolve the capsule quickly and the oil absorbs rapidly so there isn't as much/ if any left to burp back up.. this works for all of the nasty, but oh so healthy oil pills.  It doesn't have to be tea!

User Tag List