Blood in poop - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey mamas.  Our LO has been experiencing blood in his poop and our pediatrician had me remove milk and soy from my diet to see if it is a food sensitivity.  This morning marks 7 days since changing my diet and LO had his bloodiest diaper yet.  We are going to call the pediatrician when the office opens but I was wondering if anyone else has been through this.  Any advice?  

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#2 of 7 Old 02-22-2011, 05:28 AM

Awww poor baby and mama. What color is the blood? Is it dark red or bright red?

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#3 of 7 Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

It is bright red (scary) and is in with the poop and also sometimes comes out after he poops.

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#4 of 7 Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 AM

When my 3rd baby had food sensitivities, we did see little strings of blood in her poop.  I've also seen pictures of food sensitive babes' poop, where there were little globs of blood mixed in.  I'm glad you're getting into the ped. I'd take that poopy diaper to show her. Also, start keeping a food journal to see what other foods might be causing a problem (wheat gluten, corn, nuts, etc.). If it's a significant amount of blood, I'd be concerned that you're looking at a whole different problem, not related to food.  Good luck today, and let us know how the appointment goes.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#5 of 7 Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 AM

I think that if it is blood from the GI tract it should be a darker red. Bright red hopefully indicates constipation or a small tear in the anus, which heals up easily.

If it looks like raspberry jelly or really mucousy that is a cause for concern. Does he seem upset or cranky? I hope it is an easy fix and not something more complicated.

#6 of 7 Old 02-22-2011, 08:47 AM

I forgot to say that it often takes two weeks for dairy and gluten to get out of the system (we have dairy and gluten intolerances in our family).

#7 of 7 Old 02-22-2011, 11:27 AM

My first son was dairy allergic and he had bright red streaks of blood in his poop.  It took 3 weeksish before it went away even after I cut out all dairy and I had to be REALLY careful. Like if something even had a trace of dairy, or was prepared on the same surface as dairy, or was in a factory that also produced dairy, the blood would come back! 

I'm sorry mama because food allergies SUCK big time.  I had to cut it out of  my diet for 18 months...at which point I could slowly eat small bits here and there and ds was okay. (he nursed for 34 months).

Now at age 3.5 he reacts to butter, cream cheese, sour cream and yogurt, but does totally fine with hard cheeses like chedder. 

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page