Evening primrose oil question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey ladies.  Looking for some advice.  I've seen EPO mentioned a bunch on the board and finally did my research today and went out and got some.  I'm 10 days past my date and trying any gentle methods I can before I have to get more serious about getting the baby out so I don't have to have the induction talk with my OB.  He's willing to wait till 42 weeks 2 days to have the conversation.  So my question is when you take it vaginally most of what I read just said to stick the capsule "up there" overnight.  The lady at the store I bought it from said I wouldn't want to do that because it's gelatine and wouldn't ever go away completely but I assume it would just work its way out.  What is your experience and how would you recommend doing it?  Thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 PM

I would probably just use a sewing pin to prick it and squeeze the contents out and dispose of the gelatin capsule if you're concerned about it.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#3 of 6 Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 AM

Hmm...i just stuck it up there never to see it again lol so who knows??

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#4 of 6 Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 AM

I've been sticking them up there for a few weeks, and have had 0 problems.  Sounds like lady at the store is crazy. 

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#5 of 6 Old 02-23-2011, 06:25 AM

It goes away completely.  As someone who just had her baby a few days shy of 42 weeks, I probably ingested about 100 of the capsules in the last few weeks anyway possible.  I actually used an applicator I had from a suppository for a yeast med to get them "way" up there.

Just make sure whatever you use to insert them (hands, etc) wash VERY well.

I was also taking them orally. 

I'd like to say they worked but not so sure to be honest.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#6 of 6 Old 02-24-2011, 02:37 PM

My midwife recommended that I take them both vaginally and orally, which I did.  I made a pin prick in the capsule and shoved it in vaginally.  I didn't squeeze it, just gave it a head start.  I used the evening primrose for about 1 week prior to going into labor.   Don't forget to wear a pad after you insert it!

I also used black and blue cohosh for 1 day, and at the end of the day some nipple stimulation.  Only 3 weeks ago and I can't remember the exact dosage my midwife recommended.  I believe it was 10 drops each in small amount of water.  I took it every couple hours (4 hours?)  My very early labor started that night; she was born the next day.  My midwife said, if the baby is ready the cohoshes might work.  But, after taking for a day, if nothing happens, wait a few days and try again. 

HTHs

~Debra, wife to the best DH, Nuno (9/98). Blessed SAHM momma to DS Diogo (3/04), DS Cruz (9/07) and DD Beatriz 2/2/11!!  

Welcome Beatriz!! - http://web.me.com/ng0/Beatriz/Posts/Posts.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page