Elessar has arrived! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-11-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

After 3 days of labor at home, ending with an hour of pushing and then the baby's heart rate dropping shortly after water broke, my midwife got me on oxygen, I stopped pushing, and we did an emergency transport to the hospital. There, I got an epidural (after all those hours laboring and then the emergency, I was totally exhausted and my ability to manage pain went RIGHT out the window as soon as I was in the hospital). We did another trial of labor with the help of some oxygen and the epidural, but he just wasn't getting anywhere, so at the end of 4 hours of labor in the hospital, I wound up with a C-section.

Turns out he shifted a bit LOA and had his hands up by his head and the cord around his shoulder, so he was well and truly stuck.

But I already knew he was going to be a stubborn one!

He came out weighing 9 lb., 5 1/2 oz., 21 inches long. He aspirated some meconium so they had to take him off to get him checked out and his breathing going, but he joined me while I was still in recovery.

By midday today he got the hand of breastfeeding and is nursing like a champ. My recovery is actually going quite a lot better than it did with my daughter's birth. I'm off the IV, got to take a shower, and Elessar decided to sleep long enough at the right time for me to eat my dinner hot and get on here with an update!

Thanks for everyone's prayers and well-wishes. I didn't get my VBAC, but I did get a labor and birth that was on my own terms and it ended the way it did for good reasons.

DH brought DD to visit yesterday for a bit (she spent Wednesday and Wednesday night with a good friend of mine.. She was asleep when we transported me, and took the change in situation in stride (nothing like a day playing with friends to do that). He came again this morning after dropping her at her enrichment program. I've had the IV out since yesterday afternoon and got a shower and real food. My milk came in this morning, but I've barely gotten engorged because Elessar is keeping up with it.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#2 of 12 Old 03-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Congrats! Sorry you weren't able to vbac but sounds like you did an amazing job. :)

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#3 of 12 Old 03-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Congrats!  I'm happy nursing is going well, and I'm sorry it wasn't the birth you had planned.  Mine wasn't either, and looking back I'm a little embarrassed at the fact I was possibly begging for pain meds after having natural childbirth before, but when I snuggle in with my son, I realize that he's more important and things happen for a reason I guess. 

Hope you heal quickly and are enjoying your baby boy!

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#4 of 12 Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

I figure after 36 hours of labor, at the point where I'd had so little sleep and was THAT exhausted, then kept my cool through the ambulance ride and all, it was perfectly reasonable for me to hit that wall. Once the epidural kicked in I was able to relax again, and to try pushing again for several hours. Unlike with DD, I was ready for and WANTED the epidural, rather than being coaxed into it. Unlike with DD, I went into labor on my own rather than being bullied into induction, and we got 9/10 of the way there naturally. I was given a chance to try a trial of labor in the hospital, where an oxygen mask and constant monitoring let us know that DS was doing okay. His malpositioning was a good reason why it didn't work.

In other words, I feel like I owned this birth in a way I didn't with DD, even though it ended in a second C-section.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#5 of 12 Old 03-11-2011, 06:46 PM

Congrats, and so pleased that things happened on your terms, even if they didn't go as planned. 

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#6 of 12 Old 03-11-2011, 07:14 PM

congratulations mama, welcome sweet Elessar

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#7 of 12 Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post

I figure after 36 hours of labor, at the point where I'd had so little sleep and was THAT exhausted, then kept my cool through the ambulance ride and all, it was perfectly reasonable for me to hit that wall. Once the epidural kicked in I was able to relax again, and to try pushing again for several hours. Unlike with DD, I was ready for and WANTED the epidural, rather than being coaxed into it. Unlike with DD, I went into labor on my own rather than being bullied into induction, and we got 9/10 of the way there naturally. I was given a chance to try a trial of labor in the hospital, where an oxygen mask and constant monitoring let us know that DS was doing okay. His malpositioning was a good reason why it didn't work.

In other words, I feel like I owned this birth in a way I didn't with DD, even though it ended in a second C-section.

that's the most important thing--feeling like you were making your own choices, given the circumstances thumb.gif  that is awesome...enjoy your little guy love.gif

#8 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 08:10 AM

I'm glad that you got to birth on your terms. Even if it doesn't turn out the way you wanted it, as long as its on your terms that makes it the way it needed to be. Congrats, enjoy your babymoon!!! love.gif

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#9 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 AM

congrats!!! good for you mama for owning your birth!!

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#10 of 12 Old 03-14-2011, 11:28 AM

congrats mama!  let me know the birthdate and i'll add you to the birth announcements thread (i didnt see it here..?)

#11 of 12 Old 03-14-2011, 12:42 PM

Congratulations on your new son! I understand what you mean about owning the experience more this time. I feel the same way about our birth.

And I am sooo jealous of his name - I wanted Elessar SO BADLY for our new little one, but DH isn't a Tolkien junkie like me. The best I sold him on was Theoden, so we've got Eliot Theoden at our house now :).

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#12 of 12 Old 03-15-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

He was born March 9.

Ophelia, I like Eliot Theoden! It flows well. DD's name is Luthien. We're apparently partial to Elvish names around here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page