overactive letdown... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

who is dealing with this...and what are you doing?

just in last few days seems to be really upsetting phoenix. i've read the kelly mom and several other sites...tonight i am going to just try feeding him lying on my back tummy-to-tummy. side lying doesn't help. i block feed but am trying to up the amount on each breast before switching...

what helps you?

tia!

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#2 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 04:27 AM

I do all of that plus I let her get those first gulps in and then I pull her off and burp her before continuing.  It was suggested to me by a friend who

s a LLL leader.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#3 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

DDCC from NP

What worked for me was a combo of two things.  I would start sitting up in bed, wait for the tingle, then un-latch ds and let it spray into a cloth dipe for a bit, then re-latch and lay down on my back into pillows that I had set up before beginning to nurse.

Bring back the old MDC
#4 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 06:24 AM

I pull him off at the let down and let it spray into the nursing pad, burp him then put him back on. Also I did block feedings in 4 hour increments for a couple of days (his poop was really green and it seems to be going back to normal now).

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#5 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I block feed--at least two feeds to a side before switching. I also burp him frequently and especially at night or when he's been napping hand-express to get the worst of the early letdown before putting him to the breast he hasn't nursed on in a while. 

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#6 of 7 Old 03-16-2011, 10:13 AM

When I wasn't tandem nursing, I would block feed and express the let down (tingly sensation) into a prefold.  Just like the other mamas are doing!  Sometimes I would also pump and let her nurse after, but that's because I was pumping for a milk bank anyhow, so getting my supply down wasn't a priority.

I'm Brooke!  I'm a breastfeeding advocate and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my new baby boy, River (9/6/2013).

#7 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 10:56 AM

Oh my!  I had NO IDEA that this could cause so many issues for babe!  It could be why he had green poop and has been a grunty guy since birth AND why I am so prone to mastitis.  Not just a clogged duct, as I never feel a big painful lump, but mastitis.  I am starting block feeding (do you suppose two hours per side is good enough for now?).  Also going to try and burp him more and let down into a towel at home.  Here's to hoping these measures, along with taking garlic and lecithin, will help both baby and I.

Thank you all for this thread!  What a help!!!grouphug.gif

Eleanor- Mama to Awesome Jacksonblueman.gif (1.0) and Rad Alli dust.gif(2.0) King Julianecbaby.gif (3.0) who was released to rave reviews in February.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page