Pumping Foremilk - WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(X-posted under "Breastfeeding")

Hi Everyone!

DD is 7 weeks tomorrow and we're thrilled that, for a while now, she's been sleeping 5-7 hours at a time overnight! However, as my milk supply increases, I'm getting really engorged by the time of our overnight feeding. I'm having to pump for a few minutes before nursing her, otherwise she gets too much and ends up vomiting. I get anywhere from 1-3 ounces in just 3 minutes(!), and it's all foremilk.

So here's my question: if you were me, would you pump and dump, or put this foremilk into the mix for bottle feedings?

I pump one additional time each day (before I go to bed, to try and keep from getting even more engorged overnight), so I do have some regular milk with both foremilk and hindmilk in the fridge at all times. I'm just not sure if it's a good idea to dilute it with extra foremilk from the overnight pumping.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!!

stork-girl.gif She's here! She's here! She's here!
Baby Girl T - January 30, 2011
6lbs, 9oz   19inches
#2 of 7 Old 03-19-2011, 10:58 AM

It would kill me personally to throw out breastmilk that is usable.  I would freeze it or use it.  And just an FYI, pumping will help increase your supply...are you trying to descrease your supply?

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#3 of 7 Old 03-19-2011, 02:50 PM

ITA with finnegansmom- pumping is going to increase your supply. I wouldn't pump that much. Just pump or express as much as you need so you won't be in pain and only when totally necessary. Your body will adjust to your baby's needs.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#4 of 7 Old 03-20-2011, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, ladies!

I'm pumping for bottle feedings when I'm away from the baby. My milk supply is fine, and I only get engorged when DD sleeps 6 or 7 hours at night. At that point, if I don't pump, she gets way too much milk too quickly and ends up vomiting after the feeding. We've found the way that works, I just worry that adding that foremilk to the pumped milk mix lowers the fat content of her bottle feedings too much. But maybe I'm just being overly cautious...

6lbs, 9oz   19inches
#5 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would probably just dump it. I had/have the same problem when baby goes from 6 hrs to a random 9 every once in a while.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#6 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'd save it. You can mix it in with the other milk for feedings (you know, maybe 1/8 or 1/4 of what you're putting in the bottle) OR you could save it until she's older and will do a lot better with the extra foremilk. But I really wouldn't worry. If she gets a little less hindmilk than she needs from the bottle feedings then she'll just amp it up the next time she nurses so she can get more hindmilk. Babies and boobs are pretty awesome like that. winky.gif

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#7 of 7 Old 03-30-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses, everyone. My supply has pretty much evened out, so I'm only pumping out that foremilk occasionally, and she does seem to tolerate some extra foremilk mixed in. smile.gif

6lbs, 9oz   19inches

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page