cosleepers and breast leakers... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-14-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wondering how you keep your sheets dry??? i've got plastic covering the bed, from the birth, which will soon be replaced with waterproof cover to protect the mattress. i've been sleeping on a towel, folded in half to try and keep my sheets dry...but they often get soaked. what are you doing? do you have ideas better than a towel? tia

ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-15-2011, 04:45 AM

We're going on 10 weeks now and still leaking like crazy...I'm so tired of sheets and clothing being wet all the time.

I use one of those mattress pads..my aunt gave me a few of them..water proof and covered in flannel. I think you can find them in baby stores (or online would be even better I'm sure.

I just throw a small towel over it and that goes into the laundry every morning.  The pad gets replaced every few days.

Mama to DD (1/2004)  DS1 (5/2006) and DS2 (2/4/2011)

#3 of 9 Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankful85 View Post

We're going on 10 weeks now and still leaking like crazy...I'm so tired of sheets and clothing being wet all the time.

I use one of those mattress pads..my aunt gave me a few of them..water proof and covered in flannel. I think you can find them in baby stores (or online would be even better I'm sure.

I just throw a small towel over it and that goes into the laundry every morning.  The pad gets replaced every few days.

a mattress pad baby bed size? or is it covering your whole bed? if it's baby bed size that sounds perfect...i'm looking for something for just under us...or a better idea.

leaking like crazy here too...i honestly thought it'd regulate by now, but just heard from some moms that it sometimes never regulates until your no longer nursing...argg!

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#4 of 9 Old 04-15-2011, 11:58 AM

I am a leaky mess as well.

I found this waterproof mattress pad about the size of half a crib mattress at a medical supply store. It was actually purchased for my daughter for use during potty learning (which still hasn't happened)...

Mama to one boy 12/98, one girl 5/08 and a new addition!!!! 2/23/11 Vincent Michael joy.gif

#5 of 9 Old 04-17-2011, 07:28 PM

No, it doesn't cover the whole bed. The ones I have are meant for children so its' sized for their beds.  Maybe a 3 foot square?

Mama to DD (1/2004)  DS1 (5/2006) and DS2 (2/4/2011)

#6 of 9 Old 04-18-2011, 05:56 PM

look for some cloth incontinence pads at a medical supply shop. they're a heavier weight so you don't have to worry about it traveling around the bed or bunching up in your baby's face. I sleep with a nursing bra on and snap up the last used side when I wake up to feed the next, so that controls leakage a LOT. Most of our spills at this point come from spit up or excess milk dribbling out of his mouth.

Mama to Iris, born 7/31/08, and Elliott, born 1/28/11!    Photoblogging a year in my daughter's life at iris365.wordpress.com and my son's first year at elliott365.wordpress.com
#7 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies! i do sleep with a nursing tank and keep the other side closed as we switch back and forth...i'd guess it's from excess milk dribbling out as i fall back to sleep as he's still eating. i did go to a baby store and get the plastic in flannel type thing, but i'm trying to figure outif it's causing him to be hotter. the first night i put a cotton/flannel baby blanket over, the second i put a thin cotton baby blanket. i don't think it's the protector as i took it off close to this morning and the last time we flipped sides the side that's down still felt really warm. but then i touch my own side that's touching the mattress and it's warm too, but i'm not hot...and the rest of my body isn't hot, nor is his. i'm going to use it again tonight and see. again thanks for the ideas!!! very helpful!

#8 of 9 Old 04-20-2011, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, I had a stash of preemie prefolds that were too small for DS from the get-go, but they found an alternate life...as boob diapers. I lay either a fleece blanket or a towel on the bed (which has a sheet over a waterproof mattress pad), and do one of 2 things. Either I keep my T-shirt with the 2 folded in half preemie prefolds stuffed in it (one over each nipple) on, and just pull up the lower one to feed DS, or I go shirtless and tuck a preemie prefold between the 2 to catch whatever drips out of the top one. At first I was going through a lot of them; now I'm not as drippy (2nd go round seems to be going that way for me), but while nursing on one side, the other side always drips. At first a preemie prefold under DS's face where it met my breast was also helpful. I was changing out the towel/blanket every day at first, now I'm down to every three or four days.

I recall with DD, when I was much drippier, I would actually sleep with a premium (large) prefold stuffed into either a nursing bra or a T-shirt, and change it out when I changed DD's diaper.

So to summarize: use cloth diapers.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#9 of 9 Old 04-25-2011, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've got a giant changing pad, one of the reusable ones that's kinda not-so-soft clothy ya know? (Sorry, need caffix.gif.) I put that under the bed sheet. Not so comfy but it does the job, can't wait until I stop leaking. And she stops spitting up. And peeing on the bed (it's my "changing table"). 

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page