Nursing and pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 06-23-2010, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone nursing and pregnant?

I'm nursing our almost 2 year old DD - she nurses like a newborn, about every 2 hours, sometimes less during the day and latched on for the majority of the night. She picked up the nasty habit of twiddling the other side when I was pregnant earlier this year, and it's driving me bonkers! Nipples are tender but not horribly bad, but the twiddling is what is sending me over the edge. Last time, I still had milk at 12.5 weeks, but it was definitely reduced supply.

Anyone else?

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#2 of 25 Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 AM

I'm still breastfeeding my 14 mth old. I know my supply has dropped, but he still gets some. He has been wanting to nurse more often for the last several days..but he doesn't stay on long. I don't really want to tandem nurse, but I'm not going to just cut him off. I am hoping as my supply drops he will get interested in other things!! My nips are a little tender, but nothing I can't handle at this time.

Wife to a wonderful husband and mom to 6 beautiful children. Also to one sweet angel, who we will always keep in our hearts 10/2012

#3 of 25 Old 06-27-2010, 11:07 PM

Pregnant with #3, still nursing #2 (3yo). Nipples are tender, but tolerable except for the all night nurse-a-thons & twiddling now that my milk is decreasing.

When I got pregnant with DD2, DD1 was only 17m old. She nursed through the pregnancy (and actually just weaned not too long ago) despite my milk completely drying up around 4 or 5m. I had to start setting nursing limits as the milk supply decreased. I let her nurse as many times a day as she wanted, but I limited duration of the sessions.

I think DD2 will probably nurse through this pregnancy. She's already talking about how the lotsa lotsa milk will come back when the baby's born.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#4 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 01:08 PM

I just found out today that I am pregnant with #3. I am still nursing my 17 month old and pumping a sippy of milk for my nearly 3 year old every night.

So far, I haven't noticed that my milk has been affected, but my nipples have been really tender.

I had a problem with my son "twiddling" my nipple a few months ago and I had to stop nursing topless. While he is on one side, I block his access to the other. The twiddling was the most annoying feeling ever and it was about enough to make me want to wean him. I know what you are going through!

Mother to two boys - DS1 (8/07) and DS2 (1/09).
Pregnant with #3 - due March 2011.
#5 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 10:43 PM

I'm still nursing my three year old, but only one time a day usually (early morning,) and I figure that's about to stop. I'm definitely ready for it, as my nipples are very sensitive.
#6 of 25 Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 AM

I'm still nursing my 18 month old, but only barely. He only nurses to sleep at night now, but thankfully my nipples aren't sore yet. I'm kind of dreading that.
#7 of 25 Old 06-30-2010, 11:36 AM

My 20 month old DS is still nursing. About 6 times per day, including night nursing & nursing at bedtime, etc. My nipples have become SO tender. It was my first clue to take a HPT.

My milk supply is dropping too. I'm hoping it makes him nurse less, not more in an effort to increase my supply. I don't really want to tandem either, but I'm not sure hoe much he'll slow down. LOL.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#8 of 25 Old 07-02-2010, 11:48 AM

I'm nursing my almost-18 month old, and he nurses ALL THE TIME. It's not an issue for me except in the middle of the night. He likes to stay latched on from about 4-8am, and it drives me crazy. This morning, I just refused to do it, so he got up at 5:30am with my saint of a husband. I don't know how we'll deal with this if he's still like this when the new baby comes. Especially since we'll be bedsharing with the new babe too, so sleeping arrangements are going to have to shift. I can't have my kicking, climbing, squirming toddler in the same bed with a newborn. Sigh.
#9 of 25 Old 07-02-2010, 11:12 PM

I'm pregnant and tandem nursing my 4 year old and my 2 year old. This is the 5th time I've nursed through pregnancy and 4th time I've tandem nursed through pregnancy.

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#10 of 25 Old 07-03-2010, 11:25 PM

I'm nursing my 11 month old boy and just found out today that I'm prego with #4.

Hoping my supply doesn't go and/or my milk doesn't change... I hate the thought of cutting our nursing relationship short. My DD1 went through a nursing strike when I was prego with DD2 and my supply completely dried up. I was never able to get her back to breast. I was so sad, because she was only 10months at the time.
Praying that my milk stays for my boy.

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
#11 of 25 Old 07-04-2010, 01:24 PM

Me!

I'm nursing DD (10 months). She has a pretty wicked posterior tongue tie and breastfeeding has been a miserable experience. I really do not want to let the physical pain I feel from breastfeeding her to hurt my BF-ing relationship with new baby. Even though I think tandem nursing is beautiful and something I may try one day, I'm coming to the realization it may not be a good idea for us this time.

I would like to nurse DD for a while more, and think I may try to stockpile some BM in the freezer. Generally, my supply has been VERY ample, so I think I'll just start pumping 2x per day and then eventually wean her to thawed BM if/when my supply drops and/or nursing gets more painful. I have persevered through a LOT of pain and although I've very stubbornly insisted that I WOULD get through the pain until DD and I could have the breastfeeding relationship that other people seem to so enjoy, I'm just not sure it's going to happen this time around. C'est la vie I suppose.

I'm planning on meeting with an IBCLC during pregnancy to make a breastfeeding plan for this next kiddo, and I may find a doula or someone to help me RIGHT after the birth because I don't think I could emotionally handle another fiasco like last time. My midwives were fantastic for everything pregnancy and birth related, but their breastfeeding interventions were horrible. Lesson learned.

It looks like I have the youngest nursling so far in the DDC!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#12 of 25 Old 07-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Has she had her tongue tie clipped, or are you going to get it clipped? My dd had a bad posterior tongue tie and the doctor wasn't able to completely clip it (didn't want to risk doing damage), but released it enough where breastfeeding was GREATLY improved.

When I got pg with my second, my first was 9 months old... I love the age difference between them and loved tandem nursing them!!! :

#13 of 25 Old 07-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings View Post
Has she had her tongue tie clipped, or are you going to get it clipped? My dd had a bad posterior tongue tie and the doctor wasn't able to completely clip it (didn't want to risk doing damage), but released it enough where breastfeeding was GREATLY improved.

When I got pg with my second, my first was 9 months old... I love the age difference between them and loved tandem nursing them!!! :
No, the only people who work with tongue ties in our area are unfamiliar with her type of tie and there is no one else to see within a radius of a few hundred miles. I've considered looking for someone while on vacation in Michigan, but I'm so nervous about making an appointment with someone I don't know and have only heard about on the internet.

Besides, I'm tough. I can take a little chafing/blistering/bleeding. For months.on.end.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#14 of 25 Old 07-04-2010, 01:46 PM

That sucks. I'm lucky that we have a doctor who is very good at clipping tongue ties very close by! He's actually my dd's doctor now.

#15 of 25 Old 07-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
No, the only people who work with tongue ties in our area are unfamiliar with her type of tie and there is no one else to see within a radius of a few hundred miles. I've considered looking for someone while on vacation in Michigan, but I'm so nervous about making an appointment with someone I don't know and have only heard about on the internet.

Besides, I'm tough. I can take a little chafing/blistering/bleeding. For months.on.end.
Try contacting the LLL leaders in the area you'll be vacationing to. They may have a referral for a doctor who can clip the tongue tie. Good luck!
#16 of 25 Old 07-06-2010, 12:00 PM

I'm sorry about the tongue-tie, that sucks!

I'm nursing my almost 28-month-old. In the last week my son and I have been cutting his constant nursing down to morning, before naps and to sleep, plus once or twice in the night. Before that he was nursing almost constantly and while it's not really hurting me, it was driving me a little nuts.

If he asks to nurse more during the day, he can, but I simply haven't been reminding him.

I plan to nurse him as long as he'd like. I'm interested to see if I lose milk if he starts to wean or if he will continue nursing after the baby is born. I would be happy tandem nursing and my son sure loves milk so I think he'll probably stick with it.

Photographer-Mama to DS (2) and expecting #2 in March 2011.
#17 of 25 Old 07-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Still nursing my 17 mo DS over here! It's a little painful, but not too bad yet. I can tell my supply is already dropping though. Last time I was able to nurse for 6mos before I dried up completely- hopefully I can keep going at least that long this time.

Mommy to DS1 5/07 and DS2 1/09 , wife to an awesome hubby. And someone new coming in March!
#18 of 25 Old 08-03-2010, 05:16 PM

I'm in this group as well, I have an almost 14 month old DD. Thought I had posted here before, but I guess not!

It just started hurting when she first latches/when I start pumping...it just kind of stings...owwie!

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#19 of 25 Old 08-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Still nursing my almost 2 year old and I'm getting a little resentful. We've night weaned, and he's only nursing 3 times a day now too. But I still am ready for him to stop. I nursed through my last pregnancy and did not like it. Makes me so sad because i love breastfeeding. I think its so great for moms and babes. But when I'm pregnant I do not like it. I get that instinctual thing that kicks in and says, no more! I tandemed too with my last and didn't like that either. Which also was a heartbreaker. I wanted to love it. I'm such a bfing advocate so its weird for me, to me, to not want to nurse anymore. But i do want a booby break before little worm comes.

Mama Lea, grateful wife to and mom to Big Boy 10/04/06 and my little Sunshine boy 10/06/08 and surprise joining the bed sometime in March 2011
#20 of 25 Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 PM

So glad I found this thread! Still nursing 19 month old very frequently; she shows no signs of giving up. My nipples are only slightly sensitive, milk is still there but I think she senses something's up. I'm taking it day by day. Would love to keep up with those nursing in this March DDC to see how it goes!
#21 of 25 Old 08-04-2010, 07:15 PM

Hi everyone! I am still breastfeeding a 22-mo old, but having mixed feelings about it. He only nurses before nap and bedtime, but then he nurses all night long sometimes. It seems like he wants to nurse more now than before. And twiddles all the time. My nipples are starting to get sore, and I'm ready to night wean as a first step, but every time I tell myself and him that we're not going to nurse during the night anymore, I fail because i am way too tired to sit up with him while he cries and has a fit! It is much easier to just nurse and let us both go back to sleep. And sometimes I wake up and he's just on me, nursing, without me even knowing it. I guess I'm really tired. Anyone else going through this? Any advice? I just hate the thought of cutting him off cold turkey, it brings tears to my eyes.
#22 of 25 Old 08-05-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjonesmama View Post
Hi everyone! I am still breastfeeding a 22-mo old, but having mixed feelings about it. He only nurses before nap and bedtime, but then he nurses all night long sometimes. It seems like he wants to nurse more now than before. And twiddles all the time. My nipples are starting to get sore, and I'm ready to night wean as a first step, but every time I tell myself and him that we're not going to nurse during the night anymore, I fail because i am way too tired to sit up with him while he cries and has a fit! It is much easier to just nurse and let us both go back to sleep. And sometimes I wake up and he's just on me, nursing, without me even knowing it. I guess I'm really tired. Anyone else going through this? Any advice? I just hate the thought of cutting him off cold turkey, it brings tears to my eyes.
I've heard that if you go to bed with a sports bra (or two) on that it will help both you and the babe resist the temptation of nightweaning. He won't be able to access without you knowing it and you won't see it as the easier option.

I wound up sleeping on the couch for a few days and let DH handle it. It worked for a few weeks (sort of) until I wound up pulling her in bed with us last night.

#23 of 25 Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 AM

Still nursing my 14 month old baby boy

While I was pregnant with him, I nursed our oldest until about halfway through, when I started getting that creepy crawly feeling I guess it was my body sensing it was time to wean. I wish it didn't happen...not looking forward to it this time.

Mom to a girl 7.17.07 and a boy 5.30.09 Wife to husband 8.12.81 (ha) New baby boy 3.09.11 stillheart.gif
nocirc.gifribbonlime.gifslingboy.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gif
#24 of 25 Old 08-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
She picked up the nasty habit of twiddling the other side when I was pregnant earlier this year, and it's driving me bonkers!
*CRINGE* Can. Not. Stand. Twiddling!

I recently bought a new bra and my dd just loooooooves it and wants to touch it all the time! When I'm walking her to my room at night, she's feeling me up and I'm just coming out of my skin!

Still nursing my 22 mo. She only nurses maybe 5-6 times a day, but only seriously nurses (aka stays on for more than 2 minutes) 2-3 times. She's always been more of a *have better things to do than nurse* kinda gal, but she sure loves it at night and first thing in the AM.

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
#25 of 25 Old 08-06-2010, 01:56 AM

I just read the section on kellymom.com about nursing during pregnancy. There's a pdf of a sample chapter from Adventures in Tandem Nursing about making choices around nursing during pregnancy. I found it interesting and it brought up some things I haven't thought about. My DD seems to be moving towards weaning pretty quickly just with the 'don't offer don't refuse' plan I've been on. Yesterday she didn't want to nurse down for her nap (first time ever) and tonight she only nursed about 1 min on each side before bed (also unheard of). We were still nursing 8-10 times a day less than a month ago.... but it feels like it's shifting really naturally and I have to say I'm sort of glad since my nipples hurt so much. We're finding other ways to cuddle and be close. I have some sadness about it, but maybe it go on and off for a while.

I just thought I'd post it here in case any of you want to read it.

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page