Any knitters out there? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 07-08-2010, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LittleBattle Axe, I have been a crocheter for many years, I just started knitting and I suggest making a dishcloth or two to get the feel of holding two needles... It's a bit challenging at first, but I got into it eventually... I still prefer crocheting

Michelle, Happily married to first crush 4/2005, SAHM to DD 7/2006 , DS 8/2008 ,angel1.gif 4/2010, DD 3/2011, expecting DS 8/2013. 

#32 of 59 Old 07-08-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoefairy3 View Post
I really like that! Was it hard? I'm an intermediate knitter (who hasn't knitted for a while), and I want to make a sweater. I think the Yoda sweater I linked to in an earlier post should be ok, but how was this to knit?
I went to the yarn store last night right before they closed and bough this sweet pale green for the Yoda sweater, however, when I got home I noticed it's more of a wheat/maize color. It's pretty but I don't love it. Unfortunately they didn't have enough of any other color besided black I'm hoping if I take it back they will order me some that I like better. Maybe stripes!

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#33 of 59 Old 07-08-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest~mama View Post
I really like that! Was it hard? I'm an intermediate knitter (who hasn't knitted for a while), and I want to make a sweater. I think the Yoda sweater I linked to in an earlier post should be ok, but how was this to knit?
I went to the yarn store last night right before they closed and bough this sweet pale green for the Yoda sweater, however, when I got home I noticed it's more of a wheat/maize color. It's pretty but I don't love it. Unfortunately they didn't have enough of any other color besided black I'm hoping if I take it back they will order me some that I like better. Maybe stripes!
Not hard at all. A little tedious b/c it is fingering/sock weight yarn knit on 2s. It took me a week and a lot of episodes of Grey's Anatomy to finish it The worst part was the collar and the edging. I crocheted it instead of the garter b/c i didnt like the way the garter was working up. Otherwise, it was straight forward and well written.

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#34 of 59 Old 07-10-2010, 03:36 AM

Found out yesterday that I am pregnant with my first! I am super-excited and so is my sweetheart, who has already asked me what I am going to crochet. I don't knit because I really like how free-form crochet can be. I use patterns, sorta, but mostly make stuff up as I go along. I get this from my mama, who is a crazy-mad fiber artist.
Of course, I plan on starting off with the basics, but might pick up a pattern or two for sweaters. I plan on letting the gender be a surprise, but don't feel too stuck on gender-specific colors. It is going to be such fun!
I look forward to hearing more about what other mamas are making in the coming months.

Helena, living in Oregon with my darling husband and our amazing little boy, born March, 2011. joy.gif
#35 of 59 Old 07-10-2010, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

I started this today... http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-pea-pod
It's so easy and going quite quickly!

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
#36 of 59 Old 07-11-2010, 01:48 AM

I'm new to it but love it! I'm checking out that ravalry business right now. Can't sleep anyway, my nose is too stuffy!
I'm really really new and have only made one dishcloth and I'm almost finished with a scarf. Both have some errors of course but I've learned a lot. Now that I'm pregnant though I would like to try and make something for baby. Something easy! I think I'll do a few more practice pieces first.

Mama Lea, grateful wife to and mom to Big Boy 10/04/06 and my little Sunshine boy 10/06/08 and surprise joining the bed sometime in March 2011
#37 of 59 Old 07-11-2010, 03:10 AM

Make some hats MLea- there are some very easy patterns out there!

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#38 of 59 Old 07-11-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson's Mom View Post
I started this today... http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-pea-pod
It's so easy and going quite quickly!
that is cute. I think I need to get some malabrigo and make one

#39 of 59 Old 07-11-2010, 01:14 PM

I decided to pick back up my maternity sweater and get going on it. Even though it is so hot right now i can't imagine wanting to wear it, I know in the winter I'll need it. of course baby stuff seems so much more fun and cute and fast, but at the same time, I figure I'll need the maternity clothes first anyway!

I'm about 1/3 of the way done with the 2nd sleeve. Then I need to decide what to do next. I have a ton of soaker yarn, but I'm also a smidge worried that if my kids see me knitting any more soakers or longies they are going to start asking questions!

I want to work on my pooling shawl, but I don't know if I have the patience and concentration required. I just feel like doing cute and easy peasy knitting. I bought this book though. Adorable stuff!
#40 of 59 Old 07-11-2010, 01:17 PM

Oh reminds me that I'd like to make February Lady Sweater. We'll see. So far none of my kids have asked questions about the baby stuff, but they pretty much leave my knitting alone.

#41 of 59 Old 07-11-2010, 01:26 PM

Oh my 8 year old is nosy. Especially if she thinks the yarn is pretty, lol. "What are you making mommy? Who is it for?"
#42 of 59 Old 07-11-2010, 01:43 PM

Mostly they just ask "is it for me" and I say no. Then they move on. hee

#43 of 59 Old 07-11-2010, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone who is a beginner knitter or who wants to learn to knit and is good at teaching themselves...
I love this book. I take it out of the library ALL the time. I should just break down and purchase it for myself. It teaches you how to knit AND all the projects are baby related. <3 LOVE IT <3
http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Baby-...8876166&sr=1-8

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
#44 of 59 Old 07-14-2010, 05:20 PM

Finished another sleep sack (i need to weave ends, but I can't find my darning needle)
http://ravel.me/shoefairy3/xg9nh

The yarn was frogged from a thrifted Banana Republic sweater. 100% squishy, soft merino

#45 of 59 Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 PM

i wish i knew how to knit. but i'm corcheting a blanket for the baby... i made one for my other two while pregnant with them

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#46 of 59 Old 07-15-2010, 04:44 PM

started another project
http://ravel.me/shoefairy3/qytq5

#47 of 59 Old 07-16-2010, 08:02 PM

Knitter/crocheter here! Just today I queued a sleep sack, some soakers and longies, baby socks, a vest and some little hand mittens. I shall knit it all! I want to knit some special big-sibling surprises for my other three for when I'm festooning baby with stuff

Here's my queue, if you're a Raveler: http://www.ravelry.com/people/Beanymama/queue

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#48 of 59 Old 07-16-2010, 11:17 PM

I bought some cotton yarn today to make a tiny Baby Surprise in gender neutral colors. I'll make another in a pinkish or lavender color scheme if it turns out to be a girl. I'm taking a couple of other projects on my trip, because I don't want too many questions from knitting a bunch of baby stuff, but I figure I can work on some things at night in my room after we say goodnight to my folks.
#49 of 59 Old 07-18-2010, 07:17 PM

I'm a knitter too and was planning on knitting a new afghan for our bed...but then found out I'm pregnant so I'll be making a baby blanket FIRST.

I've never done a sweater yet, but I've only picked up this hobby about six years ago. So far most of what I've made has been gifted out.
#50 of 59 Old 07-19-2010, 01:49 AM

I knit! I want to make lots of stuff--mostly sweaters, but maybe a sleep sack. I have some UFOs from my pregnancy with DD, too, that I should finish up.

I also made DD some Fat Baby Booties when she was tiny, but I lost one on a trip, so we'll need a replacement pair. They were great and really did stay on--most of the time.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#51 of 59 Old 07-19-2010, 07:28 AM

Another knitter here! I just found out on Saturday that I'm pregnant, but I started doing baby knitting as soon as we started TTC. So far I've made one little baby cardigan (still needs buttons though...) and a baby blanket which I love but I still need to block it and weave the ends in.

Right now I would love to start working on a maternity sweater. I'm thinking Tea Leaves or maybe Liesl?

#52 of 59 Old 07-19-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybesparrow View Post
Another knitter here! I just found out on Saturday that I'm pregnant, but I started doing baby knitting as soon as we started TTC. So far I've made one little baby cardigan (still needs buttons though...) and a baby blanket which I love but I still need to block it and weave the ends in.

Right now I would love to start working on a maternity sweater. I'm thinking Tea Leaves or maybe Liesl?

Me, too! I found out yesterday, and can't wait to start knitting. I'll look back through this thread to see what has been discussed so far. I made my best friend a gorgeous (if I do say so myself) organic cotton baby blanket, and now I get to make one for myself!

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SpyK...t-baby-blanket

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#53 of 59 Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 AM

Oh lovely choices. I added Baby Chalice Blanket to my queue. I think that is going to call for some super squishy yarn. Maybe Malabrigo Oh I do have a bunch of Caron Simply soft too. Decisions. And I need to get a US10 needle. Sounds like a trip to the LYS to me

#54 of 59 Old 07-23-2010, 12:39 PM

DDCC - I just finished my first baby hat, (out of the Stich n Bitch book) now I want to make some booties...but they look so hard. I guess all I can do it try it out. I really like that site ravelry...very fun!

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#55 of 59 Old 07-23-2010, 01:20 PM

I've got so much lined up to knit for DD that I'm hoping I'll have time! I want to get a cardigan knit up for her, and she'll need a new hat and mittens for this winter. I'm also planning to knit a few Christmas presents for her and others in the family (stuffed toys, wrist warmers, etc.)

Since this is going to be a spring baby, I'm really not sure what to make for the bean until I find out what flavor of baby it will be. But I'll be making some legwarmers and washcloths, and some shorties if I can find the time.

Mom to DSS D (7) , DD Elizabeth (8/09) , and expecting DC3 3/30/11
#56 of 59 Old 07-23-2010, 06:20 PM

Baby knitting! I am getting so excited!
#57 of 59 Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 PM

I don't knit (I sew) but my parents both do. We haven't told them yet and i was hoping to buy a great baby knitting book and send it to them. Any suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#58 of 59 Old 07-24-2010, 11:07 AM

I'm headed to the yarn store this afternoon to pick up some yarn for winter hats for DD and my little nephew. Anybody know of a good pattern for a teddy bear hat for an infant?

What kind of yarns does everyone like to use for babies? DD's hat was a very soft wool last year, and it didn't seem to bother her too much. I've heard some people prefer wool blends or more washable fibers, and I don't want to make the nephew's hat something that SIL is going to think is a pain to wash.

Mom to DSS D (7) , DD Elizabeth (8/09) , and expecting DC3 3/30/11
#59 of 59 Old 07-24-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzysmom View Post
I'm headed to the yarn store this afternoon to pick up some yarn for winter hats for DD and my little nephew. Anybody know of a good pattern for a teddy bear hat for an infant?

What kind of yarns does everyone like to use for babies? DD's hat was a very soft wool last year, and it didn't seem to bother her too much. I've heard some people prefer wool blends or more washable fibers, and I don't want to make the nephew's hat something that SIL is going to think is a pain to wash.
For non-knitters, I almost always use acrylic or washable wool. My mom gets wool, but she knows how to care for it

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page