Mat clothes - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 07-31-2010, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I;ve got a bella band that I'm living in. Its just a stretchy peice of fabric that slides around your middle, and you can leave your jeans unbuttoned and it'll hold them in place and cover it up, too - if the bella band peeks out, it just looks like you're layering t-shirts or whatever.

I actually wear it while nursing for modesty - even w/ my nursing cover, if I have to lift my shirt, my back and sides are bare and I don't need every waiter in Austin seeing my love handles...

Mama to DS T (10/11/2004) and DD M (09/03/09) and cookin' up baby #3 due late March/early April 2010!
#62 of 71 Old 07-31-2010, 11:10 AM

Virginia,

First, you could try a belly band and leave your pants undone a bit. I have never had too much luck with these, but I know people who have.

The options I favor is leggings and long shirts or dresses. Maxi dresses are really great if they have empire waists. I got one at Target on sale right after I found out I was pregnant and have been living in it. Skirts with roll tops. I know old navy sells some, but you can often find skirts with nice stretchy tops in regular sections, too. I have one with a scrunchy top I got ages ago at Forever Twenty One that fits all the time — pregnant or not. I call it my magic skirt.

There are also some maternity pants that are more designed for early pregnancy. They usually have regular looking waistbands with a bit of stretch in them. I can't wear these because anything tight down low is uncomfortable for me, but maybe you could!

They have a ton of those at thrift stores here.

And a final option would be to buy a pair of stretchy pants that fit you now or are even a touch big now. You would be able to wear them until you are in maternity clothes and you could wear them after the baby is born as you are readjusting back to your regular size.

Photographer-Mama to DS (2) and expecting #2 in March 2011.
#63 of 71 Old 07-31-2010, 07:47 PM

the demi panel waist band maternity pants are great for early pregnancy (and postpartum) I live in those bad boys. I wore my first pair of maternity capri's yesterday My jean still fit, but they smoosh my belly when I sit down

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#64 of 71 Old 07-31-2010, 08:57 PM

The link Stelly sent for Dororthy Perkins has some cute stuff!

I am currently really liking some of the things in Shabby Apple's maternity line -- I really like their dresses in general and am pleased to see the maternity line added.

I'd like to buy some things but I'm waiting til that pesky viability scan.... but since I'm working and since I like to look pulled together, I will likely splurge on some cute things. I do have a belly band and it's fantastic. I'm not exactly showing but I can't suck in my stomach either. I know I'll be poochy in 203 more weeks for sure.

Joy, mama to Aquaboy (10), Goldilocks (8), Squidge (4)
#65 of 71 Old 08-02-2010, 09:38 AM

I've been considering digging out what maternity clothes I have packed away...I'm feeling so bloated that anything with a defined waistband is so incredibly uncomfortable right now. I've got a few elastic-waist skirts that have been all I've been wearing lately!

A friend of mine is gathering up all of her maternity clothes (she had loaned them to her sister, who gave birth about three months ago) and bringing them to me in a few weeks, so I'm looking forward to that. Plus I found a ton of links online for making maternity items or re-purposing what you already own to make it work for when you're pregnant. I'm not a great sewer by any means...but figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

Aisling78 ~ Wife to Colby, SAHMama to Sean and expecting our second in March of '11
#66 of 71 Old 08-02-2010, 11:17 AM

I've been going to salvation army & goodwill and finding shirts two sizes to big (than my pre-prego size) and putting elastic inside the side seams to make them look like the maternity shirts I have been seeing everywhere! Plus I find nifty cute shirts to do this too!

Tutorial

Married Mom to K(8), K(7) & C born March 23rd.
#67 of 71 Old 08-02-2010, 11:48 AM

For my last pregnancy, I bought most of my maternity clothes from Old Navy. I need to pull them out and go through them to see what I'll need since this is a spring baby and DD was born in August (but I've been so hot so far with this one that I think I should be able to wear most of it!)
Otherwise, I'm hoping to get whatever else I need from the consignment store.

With DD I didn't start wearing maternity clothes until I was 6 months pregnant... this time around I feel like I could wear them right now

Mom to DSS D (7) , DD Elizabeth (8/09) , and expecting DC3 3/30/11
#68 of 71 Old 08-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauGeek View Post
I've been going to salvation army & goodwill and finding shirts two sizes to big (than my pre-prego size) and putting elastic inside the side seams to make them look like the maternity shirts I have been seeing everywhere! Plus I find nifty cute shirts to do this too!

Tutorial
what a great idea. i wish I was better with a sewing machine (and mine was in working order )

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#69 of 71 Old 08-03-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

I found 2 mat shirts on sale at Motherhood while on vacation. I will go shopping for more later this wkend.

I don't need them yet but there isn't any mat clothes store here. so the choices are limited.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#70 of 71 Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauGeek View Post

Tutorial
Are you using regular elastic or the clear elastic tape?

Michelle, Happily married to first crush 4/2005, SAHM to DD 7/2006 , DS 8/2008 ,angel1.gif 4/2010, DD 3/2011, expecting DS 8/2013. 

#71 of 71 Old 08-03-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbell76 View Post
Are you using regular elastic or the clear elastic tape?
I'm using regular 1/4th inch elastic...I tried it on (granted my belly isn't huge yet) and it didn't bother my skin.

Married Mom to K(8), K(7) & C born March 23rd.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page