OB dilemma, WWYD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-10-2010, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I'll try not to write a novel, but no promises.

I'm high risk, for two previous premature births, so I plan to have a hospital birth with an OB and will also be seeing a perinatologist.

With my first, I saw a female OB that was fine, she's pretty good, but my insurance no longer covers her.

With my second, I saw a male OB that I quite liked, and he promised to take call to deliver my baby (which he did) but there are other docs in his call group I don't like. I'm still with this group for routine care but haven't had my first prenatal yet.

I recently heard from my mom (who is a CNM) and another OB that his practice is crazy busy and there are docs outside of his call group that deliver his patients. And when I went in to have my IUD out it was the other doc that I don't like and I found him patronizing, dismissive, and out-of-date as far as caring for patients in PTL. However I might be able to convince my doc to be on call for me again.

The other problem is that I haven't felt like his office is great about getting back in touch through emails. But I'm sure if I called it would be easier.

Another option I have is a female OB who is the mother of a child in my class. Possibly socially awkward. And she doesn't deliver at my preferred hospital or in fact at a hospital with a good NICU, so if I did have a preemie needing NICU care the baby would be transferred or I would have to deliver at the farther away hospital.

If I switch to her I also have to switch medical groups for my insurance and that would mean either seeing a new primary care doc (not that big an issue since I rarely see him anyway, but still establishing new care with a new doc) or I could switch to a group that would cover her, and my PCP, but I'd need to see a different perinatologist than the one I've met with already. I really liked this peri, and I felt like her plan for my pregnancy was a good one.

Argh, what should I do?
#2 of 5 Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 PM

Are you sure the female dr wont deliver at the hospital of your choice. Often they will use other hospitals. Otherwise, i'd maybe try to find a 4th option

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#3 of 5 Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 AM

My thought was also see what other options/ OBs you can find. Maybe figure out which hospitals / groups etc. would give you the options you need without having to switch your peri or insurance etc. then maybe visit or interview if you can to find someone whose practice seems promising.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#4 of 5 Old 07-11-2010, 06:21 AM

Oooh, I don't like your options!! I definitely would want to find a doctor that delivered at the hospital that has a NICU..otherwise you will be having who knows who. Is there maybe another group that also delivers at that hospital? I hope you find someone you feel comfortable with. (((Hugs)))

Wife to a wonderful husband and mom to 6 beautiful children. Also to one sweet angel, who we will always keep in our hearts 10/2012

#5 of 5 Old 07-12-2010, 03:23 AM

DDCC-

I'm just being nosy as the mother of 2 preemies myself... How early were your babies and why were they early? Why do you think you'll need a hospital birth if you go to term, or do you just want one?

I got lucky. I am seeing a midwife and a high risk OB. I'll be getting a cerclage and extra check ups. But if I make it to term, I get my homebirth with my midwife. Also, the OB delivers at both nearby hospitals depending on gestation or preference and my midwife would come just to be support if I did go to the hospital, like last time. I'd keep looking if I were you. There has to be someone out there who is right for you. And you probably have a little time.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page