Who is nursing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 07-17-2010, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I still find it odd that people read about me and my first triandem nursing experience! (I'm "Amanda from CT in Adventures in Tandem Nursing). It is a good book with lots of good info, though! Mothering Your Nursing Toddler by Norma Jane Bumgarner has an excellent chapter on Pregnant and Tandem Nursing as well as great weaning or partial weaning advice.

TnMsMama ... if baby-within is growing well and everything is going well with your pregnancy, I can't imagine why you'd need to wean. Nutritionally it will be difficult, but as long as you're feeling good and everyone else concerned is doing ok, then why not?

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#32 of 47 Old 07-18-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnMsMama View Post
I'm stressing. Everyone is telling me I *have* to wean my daughter because I'm pregnant. She's only 10 months! It feels a lot like I'm punishing her cuz I messed up. It's not her fault.

I'd like to talk to a professional about this - but it's damn near impossible to find an OB who knows anything about gastric bypass.
Maybe a LLL leader or a ped could tell you of a lactation consultant who would know the most about nutrition. Or you could call a nutritionist who could help you work something out? A nutritionist should know how to work with gastric bypass and should know about eating healthy during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Right?

My first instinct would be that if you ate high calorie, nutrient dense food frequently throughout the day you could get the calories you need.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#33 of 47 Old 07-18-2010, 10:21 AM

Oye, my son is getting a tooth! His first molar on top at 27 months. I am a little scared that this might mean I am going to spend the entire pregnancy with a child catching up on teeth constantly nursing at night.

But I am sure it won't be that way. It's just been a long night.

On the upside, I don't seem to be having much if any supply issue. I think it's partly because I have been eating an incredible amount of food driven by hunger an attempt to stave off sickness.

Anyone else having night nursing marathons?

Photographer-Mama to DS (2) and expecting #2 in March 2011.
#34 of 47 Old 07-18-2010, 12:21 PM

Hi! I am just joining this DDC. DD1 (20 months) is still going strong nursing day and night... It's actually going pretty smoothly so far (I am just 7 weeks pregnant) but I am a bit sore and I can tell my supply is low...

One think I am actually loving about nursing while pregnant is that I am so appreciative and in tune with DD1 and our sweet nursing cuddle time. It's a bit bittersweet, but I feel like having an end to her being the baby in sight has made me want to soak up this time together.
#35 of 47 Old 07-19-2010, 02:20 PM

Just found out we get to join another DDC (#2), and I have a 13 1/2 month old DD still nursing. It will be interesting to see how it goes, don't know what to expect.

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#36 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 12:08 PM

So...according to the nurse at my OB's office, they "strongly recommend" that nursing mother's wean when they find out that they're pregnant, because breastfeeding can bring on contractions and preterm labor. Tell that to my friends in both La Leche League and my attachment parenting mom's group who nursed through their pregnancies. When I gave a non-commital response, she huffed at me and said that someone would discuss this with me at my first appointment. ::sigh:: I'm really not in the mood to be forced to defend myself in regards to this. Does anyone have any links to relevant studies or whatnot that I could print out to bring along, just in case this becomes an issue? I'm going to bring it up at my next LLL meeting, but that's a month away.

Aisling78 ~ Wife to Colby, SAHMama to Sean and expecting our second in March of '11
#37 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 12:22 PM

Hmmm... I wonder if I still have a few extra copies of "Nursing Through Pregnancy and Beyond" by the Australian Breastfeeding Association. If so, I could mail one to you if you're interested.

Breastfeeding causes uterine contractions, but the uterine contractions it causes are much weaker than those caused by an orgasm, so if it's ok for you to have sex while pregnant, it should be ok for you to nurse through a healthy pregnancy.

As for preterm labor - I was told that as well. I have nursed through four pregnancies (this is the fifth pregnancy I've nursed through) and of those four pregnancies, I tandem nursed through three. My second child was 8 days "late", my third was 3-4 days "late", my fourth was one day "late" and my fifth was 9 days "late." I nursed while in labor and it only caused contractions to pick up while the nursling was actively nursing and then the contractions calmed down to where they were before the nursling latched on.

Some doctors will also tell you that pregnant nursing will cause low birthweight babies. The first pregnancy I nursed through produced a 9.5 lb baby (my firstborn was 7lbs 2oz), and the pregnancies I tandem nursed through produce 8lbs 4 oz, 10lbs 14oz, an 9 lbs 14oz babies!

Resources:
"Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hilary Flower
"Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" by Norma Jane Bumgarner
http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/index.html
http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bfpregnant.html
http://www.unmc.edu/obgyn/education/preg_bfng.htm
http://www.llli.org/FAQ/tandem.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...fe.html?cat=52

#38 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 PM

Wonderful wonderful info!! Thank you!

I'm really nervous about my OB appointment, I've been spoiled by midwifery. I so wish we could afford it this time, but I'm still paying off the last baby.

I've added brewer's yeast and red raspberry leaf to my diet, cut the fenugreek, and DD seems much more satisfied lately.

Mama to DS T (10/11/2004) and DD M (09/03/09) and cookin' up baby #3 due late March/early April 2010!
#39 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisling78 View Post
So...according to the nurse at my OB's office, they "strongly recommend" that nursing mother's wean when they find out that they're pregnant, because breastfeeding can bring on contractions and preterm labor. Tell that to my friends in both La Leche League and my attachment parenting mom's group who nursed through their pregnancies. When I gave a non-commital response, she huffed at me and said that someone would discuss this with me at my first appointment. ::sigh:: I'm really not in the mood to be forced to defend myself in regards to this. Does anyone have any links to relevant studies or whatnot that I could print out to bring along, just in case this becomes an issue? I'm going to bring it up at my next LLL meeting, but that's a month away.
Bah, I just told my last OB that we were weaning and he never asked again. After his schpeal about the baby and the nursling leaching nutrients out of my body, I tuned him out

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#40 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 04:13 PM

I once said to an OB, "Thank you for your concern, but that's not what my research tells me. I'd LOVE to read your sources on the effects of pregnant nursing on the fetus. I wasn't aware that medical schools were now teaching normal human lactation, including pregnant nursing. How long did you spend studying that?"

What people don't realize is that most medical schools spend around an hour on breasts - and that's on diseases of the breast, not the normal function of the breast/lactation. Very few doctors even know HOW breastmilk is produced, nevermind what is safe and unsafe when nursing. They usually use the PDR to tell you whether drugs are safe when breastfeeding, rather than the more accurate "Medications and Mother's Milk" by Dr. Hale. I haven't met an OB or pediatrician yet who can provide me with sources that back up their "information" that pregnant (or tandem) nursing is harmful.

#41 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 06:53 PM

My little guy weaned a couple weeks ago. I was pretty sad, but after finding out I'm pregnant I'm more at peace with it.

Great job to all of you nursing while pregnant!
#42 of 47 Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 PM

I am nursing a 22 month old, and secretly hoping that he will wean in the next few months.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#43 of 47 Old 07-21-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings View Post
Hmmm... I wonder if I still have a few extra copies of "Nursing Through Pregnancy and Beyond" by the Australian Breastfeeding Association. If so, I could mail one to you if you're interested.
That's so very generous! Thank you for offering. I would be interested -- could I reimburse you for shipping?

Quote:
Breastfeeding causes uterine contractions, but the uterine contractions it causes are much weaker than those caused by an orgasm, so if it's ok for you to have sex while pregnant, it should be ok for you to nurse through a healthy pregnancy.

As for preterm labor - I was told that as well. I have nursed through four pregnancies (this is the fifth pregnancy I've nursed through) and of those four pregnancies, I tandem nursed through three. My second child was 8 days "late", my third was 3-4 days "late", my fourth was one day "late" and my fifth was 9 days "late." I nursed while in labor and it only caused contractions to pick up while the nursling was actively nursing and then the contractions calmed down to where they were before the nursling latched on.

Some doctors will also tell you that pregnant nursing will cause low birthweight babies. The first pregnancy I nursed through produced a 9.5 lb baby (my firstborn was 7lbs 2oz), and the pregnancies I tandem nursed through produce 8lbs 4 oz, 10lbs 14oz, an 9 lbs 14oz babies!

Resources:
"Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hilary Flower
"Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" by Norma Jane Bumgarner
http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/index.html
http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bfpregnant.html
http://www.unmc.edu/obgyn/education/preg_bfng.htm
http://www.llli.org/FAQ/tandem.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...fe.html?cat=52
Thank you so much -- this is all very helpful, and those are some fabulous resources. I read "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" a while back, probably over a year or so ago, but I'm going to borrow it from LLL again to read the nursing while pregnant portion. I know I had just skimmed through that when I originally read it, since it wasn't relevant to where I was at that point in my life. My LLL group also has "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" in their library, so I'll check that out as well.

Quote:
I once said to an OB, "Thank you for your concern, but that's not what my research tells me. I'd LOVE to read your sources on the effects of pregnant nursing on the fetus. I wasn't aware that medical schools were now teaching normal human lactation, including pregnant nursing. How long did you spend studying that?"
This is brilliant! I've got to remember this response! I think you may be my new hero!

Aisling78 ~ Wife to Colby, SAHMama to Sean and expecting our second in March of '11
#44 of 47 Old 07-22-2010, 12:24 PM

I'm still nursing my 3 year old and my 16 month old. I am really hoping the 3 year old weans before the baby comes, I am just not sure about nursing all 3 at once. I have no intention of weaning DD, I figure I can deal with nursing her during pregnancy since I've done it once already.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#45 of 47 Old 07-22-2010, 01:21 PM

I'm still nursing DS (13 months). I have no intention of weaning, but man - I had no idea it would be this uncomfortable. I generally find that I need to distract myself with a book or TV while he nurses - hopefully the tenderness will go away as my pregnancy progresses. I plan to night wean before #2 is born, but not for a couple months. Right now, I'd like to get his night nursings down to 1-2 per night, instead of the current 5-6+.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#46 of 47 Old 07-26-2010, 11:16 AM

I am still nursing my 14 mo DS. I haven't really noticed a huge change, but I'm only 5 weeks. DH and I have been talking for a while about nightweaning him, but it just seems like such a huge task--I'm sure it really wouldn't be, but I'm a bit afraid. He still nurses about 4 times during the day and has been starting to ask for more. I really don't want to tandem nurse and hope to gently decrease the nursing. I like nursing him, but I don't want to nurse two babies!
#47 of 47 Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 AM

I'm super frustrated with nursing right now. My ds2 was totallynight weaned and for the last like5 nights he's woken crying repeatedly wanting to nurse. It's driving me crazy. I've let him earlier than our usual 6am a cole of times but then he's just fussy again in a couple of hours. My milk is drying up and I think it is frustrating him. My little let downs, what they are, are super slow too.

I'm honestly wishing I could just wean him right now. I know we need to go slow for both of us but I'm feeling so icky, sick, sore nipples, touched out. I just don't want to do it anymore. It's only been 2 weeks since I found out I was pregnant and in that time we've finished nit weaning fully, and gone down to 3 times a day. Maybe I'm expecting too much from him? He is almost 2. I just don't want to do this again. Nursing ds1 while pregnant with ds2 was just awful for me. Tandem nursing was no better.

We had wanted to get ds2 weaned before getting pregnant and I'd planned on doing it full time by now anyway. I want him weaned at 2 or shortly after. Now I'm thinking maybe a hair earlier would be ok. I can't let myself get this miserable again.

Mama Lea, grateful wife to and mom to Big Boy 10/04/06 and my little Sunshine boy 10/06/08 and surprise joining the bed sometime in March 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page