Weekly chat 7/12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didnt see a thread out there, so if there is...oopsies

I made my 1st appt. I am super excited b/c I got in with the midwives that deliver at a hospital here. Last time they were booked for my EDD. I'd rather do a home birth, but b/c of the expense and that CNMs can't legally do HBs, i am going with the next best thing. They have jacuzzi's available for water birth And as far as I understand, they are willing to work with the mama on stuff like IVs and fetal monitoring (the stuff that bugged me from my last labors) I cant wait to go chat with the midwives at my first appt (there are 3 in the office)

I seem to be getting some of my energy back too

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#2 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 06:30 PM

Glad to hear that you got in with the midwives. Is there a birthing center near your location?

I made my first appointments today, too. The head of their practice delivers at one local hospital, but they also have a small birthing center and do home births, so I'm hoping to get the HB covered.

Where are you other ladies planning on delivering? Forgive me if it has been covered, I'm new here!

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#3 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 06:46 PM

Aron, you are lucky to have a "natural friendly" hospital.

Jeminijad, I will be homebirthing also, actually HBAC.

I VBAC'd my last one, so hopefully this one will just pop out Probably wishful thinking though

Michelle, Happily married to first crush 4/2005, SAHM to DD 7/2006 , DS 8/2008 ,angel1.gif 4/2010, DD 3/2011, expecting DS 8/2013. 

#4 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 06:53 PM

Homebirth here too "D

How is everyone feeling?

I've been really good- it's kind of freaking me out. I'm pretty tired come late afternoon, but my m/s has been staying away for the most part. Coming off a near HG pg, it is still worrying me to not be sick (but I'm loving the difference it makes in my life).

Working on sewing some of these hats soon.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#5 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 06:57 PM

I've had a headache for the past few days and think it's because I haven't been eating enough protein (tandem nursing and pregnant). I had a bowl of cottage cheese (14g protein per half cup!) and felt better a little while later. I think I need to eat it for breakfast every morning!

I'm planning my third homebirth (I've had 2 hospital births and a birth center birth as well). I'm really looking forward to it. I have a La Bassine birth pool that my 2 year old dd and lots of my friends' little ones have been born in. We have so many people lined up to attend this birth it's crazy! My dh, our 5 kids, my parents (my mom has been at all my births, my Dad at my 2 homebirths ... they will handle taking kids out if necessary and will take the kids out after the birth), 2 midwives, my friend Dawn (doula-in-training), my friend Stacie (photographer), and my friends Renee and Tara (child wrangling).

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#6 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

No birthing centers. No OB will support the CNM in a non-hospital setting. They tried to get a couple started but nada. NE is one of 2 states that make midwifery in a non-hospital setting illegal. They have to work under an OB. This hospital is brand brand new. Wasn't available 6 months ago. AFAIK, this is the only hossy that offers such lenient l&d 'rules'. We could get an underground midwife to do a HB, and my DH agreed to it, but my frugal nature says no. It would be costly to us and since I think I should get the birth I want at the hospital, that is where we will go. And so help me, I will wear my bra this time around. Its the small things that made me leave my last OB/hospital. Really, a bra is going to hinder childbirth??? Come on.

#7 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 07:16 PM

They wouldn't let you wear your bra?! Seems like they could just cut if off if they needed to- though I'm not sure why they would need to.

Mom2three- That is a ton of people! Wow! I admire women who can do this. Myself, I just plan on me, dh, the midwives, and dd if she wants. I'll likely have to get someone else involved to watch over dd, though not sure who this will be yet. I absolutely could not handle my mom's energy anywhere near me during birth.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#8 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post
Where are you other ladies planning on delivering?
I got a midwife but I'm not sure where I will give birth, Either at the hospital or at home. Dh is worried about a homebirth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest~mama View Post

How is everyone feeling?
Thanks for asking.

Over the wkend I started a cold. It seems I'm getting everything. Last monday it was a very sore back and by today, I have a cold/larynghitis too. I was awake every hr last night having coughing fits. I couldn't find a comfy position to sleep in because of my back or my coughing fits. Laying down was good for my back but bad for my cough and verse versa. UGH I hate when things are like that. Makes it hard to cope with life in general. I'm way too busy to deal with this. Maybe it's my body's way to say that I need to slow down.

Otherwise, I feel as good as I can be with my pgcy. I still waiting for the nausea and the vomiting but they haven't showed up. Which I am very happy about!!!

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#9 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
They wouldn't let you wear your bra?! Seems like they could just cut if off if they needed to- though I'm not sure why they would need to.
No and I tried during different labors I even tried sneaking it once

#10 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 PM

I have my first midwife appt. tomorrow. I am really excited but a little scared too. This is my first pregnancy so I am doing a little reading up on what I should ask and what I should expect. We have a birthing center that is located in our hospital and that is more what I am nervous about than anything. I really really hate hospitals. I would be much happier with a free standing birth center but alas we do not have one.
#11 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 07:44 PM

6 weeks today. Very dizzy and light-headed. Some nausea and food aversions. Crazy sense of smell. Nips a bit sore.

Dh is sooo excited he rubs my belly and keeps referring to "my condition".

We browsed BRU over the weekend and they were having the best sales. I really wanted to buy some stuff but it is early.

Will be birthing in hospital with OB. I go and do my thing... no one bothers me. All 6 vag. births have been easy as pie. Expecting and hoping more of the same...

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#12 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 PM

I am still feeling pretty good - of course I am just a day or so over 4 weeks so I expect in another couple weeks that might not be the case. Just tired mainly.

My first BFP was 8-10 dpo (not exactly sure) and was really really faint so I took another test today cause I had one and it was a dark line. That makes it feel a bit more real for some reason now!

---
My daughter was born in a hospital with a midwife and my current plans are to do the same. I like the midwife clinic a lot and am happy to see that the same ones are there as from 4 years ago. I hope I can make my first appointment with the MW who delivered my daughter.

It looks like there is a free standing birth center around now (or at least one still getting build but taking patients for the new year) There were none last time so I plan to at least look into them as an option. I like the idea of a possible water birth but my hospital does not offer this. There is another hospital that does but I would have to switch insurance plans and practices in January and I like what I have now.

I did labor in the tub a lot at my current hospital and since I am comfortable there and with the MWs I will likely stick with that plan.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#13 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the new thread Aron!

We made our appt with some local HB midwives for the first week of August. Can't wait! She seems incredible- birthbydesign.org

Other than that, I actually felt really good today. It is a weird place to be in- to want to feel sick just to know something is happening in there.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#14 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 08:41 PM

I'm 4 weeks today, and can't believe that I've had symptoms for a week already. Little dizzy, gassy (really? already?! ), gums are sensitive, breasts are tender, and so, SO sleepy......

I'm planning a HBAC, and haven't even started interviewing midwives yet. My goal for this week is to start making phone calls and setting up interviews. Going to an ICAN meeting tonight- I'm pretty excited about it!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#15 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Oh lotsa HB mamas. I cant wait to hear everyones stories when that time comes

#16 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Another Home birther here.... looking forward to it my last two were in hospital and this will be my first time with the midwives... so looking forward to meeting them next week

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#17 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I'm 4 weeks today, and can't believe that I've had symptoms for a week already. Little dizzy, gassy (really? already?! ), gums are sensitive, breasts are tender, and so, SO sleepy......

I'm planning a HBAC, and haven't even started interviewing midwives yet. My goal for this week is to start making phone calls and setting up interviews. Going to an ICAN meeting tonight- I'm pretty excited about it!
HI CS!! Congrats!! I hope we both have allergens free babies. *fingers are crossed*

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#18 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 09:31 PM

This will be my first and I would greatly prefer a free-standing center or a home birth. Within a half of an hour of my home, there is one hospital with a birth center, and I haven't been able to find any other options. Yet.
I have contacted a midwife who is based an hour from my house and I hope she can help me get dialed in with some other solutions. How far is too far to travel? I wonder if I am going to end up staying with friends in my hometown and going to a birth center there. The thought of leaving my fella eight hours away in the last stages of pregnancy makes me uneasy.
Any suggestions? I would love a little input. Thanks.

Helena, living in Oregon with my darling husband and our amazing little boy, born March, 2011. joy.gif
#19 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
HI CS!! Congrats!! I hope we both have allergens free babies. *fingers are crossed*
Yes, definitely crossing my fingers for that one!! Congrats to you too!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#20 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 PM

Hi all,
Everyone is sounding good! I admire all you homebirthers. I wish I could, but I don't feel comfortable, even if I make it to full term, which is unlikely. I live 30 minutes away from the hospital on a good day, and in rush hour, it could be more like an hour or more.

Anyway, my first two were hospital births and I'm planning another this time. I would like to try an unmedicated birth this time.

I'm feeling symptom-y today. My first real nausea, my boobs are super sore. It is making me feel glad in some ways, since it is reassuring.

My first appointment is 8/10.
#21 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post
Thanks for the new thread Aron!
It is a weird place to be in- to want to feel sick just to know something is happening in there.
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpquafish View Post
I have contacted a midwife who is based an hour from my house and I hope she can help me get dialed in with some other solutions. How far is too far to travel?
Both of my midwives live in Salem and travel to all parts of Portland (think you live in OR- distance perspective for you)for births. As long as your midwife is fine with it, I see no reason why you couldn't have a hb with her.

#22 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 PM

It is helpful to know that there is somebody in a similar situation. I live south of Eugene, and I know that a seventy-five mile drive here is different from the same distance in a less-rural, higher-traffic area. I will cross my fingers that she will accept me.

Helena, living in Oregon with my darling husband and our amazing little boy, born March, 2011. joy.gif
#23 of 138 Old 07-12-2010, 11:38 PM

Haha- now that I look at your stats I see that you have Oregon listed. I was just guessing based off of your name. Are you sure she is the only/closest midwife to you, or do you just prefer her?

Wanted to add:
I found this midwife who is pretty far from you, but she lists Umpqua as a place she serves. I'm sure you shouldn't have a problem finding one who will travel from the Eugene area.

#24 of 138 Old 07-13-2010, 07:54 AM

I really wanted to do a homebirth but then I met with the two HB midwives in my town and I REALLY did not like one of them. Like it shocked me how much she bothered me. This is something that I have wanted forever. And since both of them attend the birth, there's no getting away from her. And I just can't see having her there at my birth. So I'm going to have a hospital birth probably with my GP. He also does maternity care and I've been seeing him for years and feel comfortable with him. I'm very lucky that the hospital that I will be birthing at is VERY natural birth friendly. The only thing they won't let you do is birth in the tub. But other than that, they don't blink an eye at just about anything. You can stay in your own clothes, don't need an IV, can eat and drink whatever you want, intermittent monitoring, delayed or no eye goop, baby rooms in, delayed or no bath, basically all the things that I would envision having to fight for in another hospital.

I'm 6w4d and I get a little queasy if I haven't eaten in a while. But that just started since I started the progesterone supplements so I think it's because of those extra hormones. My first real appt is the first week of August. I'm looking forward to putting my dr through his paces and if we don't see eye to eye, then I will be making an appt with the large OB practice in town.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#25 of 138 Old 07-13-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Haha- now that I look at your stats I see that you have Oregon listed. I was just guessing based off of your name. Are you sure she is the only/closest midwife to you, or do you just prefer her?

Wanted to add:
I found this midwife who is pretty far from you, but she lists Umpqua as a place she serves. I'm sure you shouldn't have a problem finding one who will travel from the Eugene area.
Thanks again! Medford is further away, but I have also sent a message to the midwife you found just in case. Now that I see I can broaden my scope a bit, I am confident that I will find somebody that I can work with. The Roseburg area isn't a hotbed of progressive thinkers, but there are certainly a number of midwives in Eugene.

#26 of 138 Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I'll likely have to get someone else involved to watch over dd, though not sure who this will be yet. I absolutely could not handle my mom's energy anywhere near me during birth.
Me too! All of this. I'm having another home birth, and can't figure out who will be kid entertainer. Maybe my sis-in-law, as my dd loves her. Definitely couldn't handle my mom there. She tried to talk me out of a home birth during the first 3/4 of my first pregnancy, until she realized I was not changing my mind.

Feeling nauseous now, started about 3 days ago. Everyday from about 9 am to noon. Nipples are really sensitive. Also have definite belly pouchage. I guess I have a very "upfront" uterus. I always measured big and one of my first signs I was pregnant was pants that would not button.
#27 of 138 Old 07-13-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

My whole boob hurts. Good times.

#28 of 138 Old 07-13-2010, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi Everyone! I need some good thoughts/prayers my way. I am having my first U/S today at 2:30 EST. I am SO nervous. I have mentioned before, but I just need to see that little heart beating on that screen to feel that this is real. I have two friends pregnant and due right around the same time as me (one is about 4 weeks ahead and one is about 4 days ahead) and they have both seen their baby's heartbeats and that is making me even more nervous. I had an appointment last week with a midwife who works under an OB. I did like her, but I didn't feel that she was the best fit for me so I gave in and went to my good friend's OB. I really, really like him, but am having a hard time accepting that "him" part. I don't know why, but I prefer females when it comes to doctors of the girly parts. I really like this guy and he seems to really listen to my concerns and is willing to allow me to have a VBAC as long as things are looking good at the end (which is all I ask for after my last experience). He sent me in for this U/S right away to help alleviate my fears and all around he seems really great. Anyone here that sees a male DR (I know a lot of you see midwives so I'm thinking there aren't going to be that many) - how do you get past feeling embarrassed during pelvic exams?

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#29 of 138 Old 07-13-2010, 02:30 PM

my GP's have always been male and there was a male presnet with ds1. Really when it got right down to it I really didn't bother me but that might be becasue i have always had a male GP.

I hope you can find a way to get around it. but if you think he is the best fit maybe it wont be that hard

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#30 of 138 Old 07-13-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
Anyone here that sees a male DR (I know a lot of you see midwives so I'm thinking there aren't going to be that many) - how do you get past feeling embarrassed during pelvic exams?
I have seen both male and female doctors, and I have actually preferred my male docs to the female. Maybe it just was a better personality fit, but the OB I had with my first was female and pretty brusque and businesslike with me but my male OB that I had with my second was really kind and compassionate. I don't really care about the gender of the doctor, I just want them to be informed, capable, and caring.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page