Anxious.. Accuracy of HPT?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First time Mom-to-be here.. and DH and I are feeling a little anxiety!
I just got a BFP last night(!!!!!!!!), DH came home from work and began raining on my parade. :/ He wanted to know how accurate HPTs are, and wanted to wait to tell people until we are "sure". We've been TTC for almost a year, so I think it's come as a shock that it finally happened! I know that I was getting to the point that I was really beginning to wonder.. so I'm sure he was, too. I basically told him that unless he wants to pay to have a blood test done, he needs to accept that the HPT is doing it's job, and millions of couples announce their pregnancies from getting a positive test.
So, how quickly did you guys start telling people? Is it too soon?

Sarah
Proud USAF Wife(4.30.05) Momma to my sweet Doodle(3.20.11)
#2 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 10:52 AM

i've never got a false positive. It happens on some tests. We dont tell people until 10wks or later, except my inlaws b/c I need a babysitter to get to the drs

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#3 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 11:01 AM

Trust the test! As far as telling this early it is up to you. Should something happen how do you feel about having to share that news? Just something to consider.

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#4 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 AM

I would be much more likely to distrust a negative test than a positive one. The only time I've seen a "fake" positive is when it was an evap line. I think it's possible for a test to be defective and give a positive result, but it would be extremely rare.

You could always go buy another test. The chances of you getting two positives caused by defective tests instead of a real pregnancy would be REALLY slim.
#5 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 AM

Okay, first off... Congratulations!!!

Like everyone else has said, a false positive is very rare. It can happen but almost never does. False negatives are far mroe likely as you can imagine.

As far as telling people, that's really up to you and a personal decision. We told people that we wouldn't have a problem telling if something went wrong. If it did, I'd definitely want to talk to my parents and his parents about it as well as both of our sisters. We are waiting to tell the rest of our extended family more or less just to avoid any negative reactions when it's so early. (we aren't married yet and some might be upset). Again, there is the "old fashioned" rule to wait until the first trimester is up but I feel like this may be changing slowly and it's really up to you and your husband.
#6 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have taken so many HPT's and when they are positive, they are positive! I would say definitely trust the HPT.

As for telling people, if you are only worried that the HPT might be wrong, I'd say you are good to tell people (maybe take one more test to be sure?). I personally wait until I see a heartbeat on an u/s or hear it on a doppler before I tell people because my first pregnancy resulted in a loss, but that's just me. Do what feels right!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#7 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 01:07 PM

If it is positive then it is positive. My DH seems to prefer seeing the digital pregnancy test result that just says "pregnant"... the faint line on the early one I took he didn't really believe. So you might try that and then all you have to do is decide who you want to tell and when!

Congrats!

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#8 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 01:30 PM

Congrats Babies are great!

I'd trust the HPT like pp have said it's really rare to get a false positive, But take another for the sake to resassurance.

As for telling people. I tend to tell right away but it really is a personal choice. I know some don't tell until it's obvious that your expecting.

The way I look at it is if I have a loss I much rather have someone to share the grief with then doing it alone and hiding my pain. but that's me. Totally up to you.

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#9 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 01:33 PM

DDCC - as long as the test is pink dye and not blue dye, trust it.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#10 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 01:43 PM

My DH doesn't trust any that aren't digital also. I think men need to have it be concrete, no room for ambiguity

As for telling, we only told our immeadiate family, not including the children. We will wait until the end of the first trimester before declaring it from the roof tops It is very difficult to un-tell. We had to do that last pregnancy But in the end, it is whatever you are most comfortable with. GL.

Michelle, Happily married to first crush 4/2005, SAHM to DD 7/2006 , DS 8/2008 ,angel1.gif 4/2010, DD 3/2011, expecting DS 8/2013. 

#11 of 14 Old 07-13-2010, 03:28 PM

Congrats!!!

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#12 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!!! We are completely over the moon about this, it feels SO great to get positive feedback!
So we decided to tell the parents and siblings.. which turned catastrophic rather quickly! My DH's older brother immediately put on his Facebook that he's going to be an uncle. Oy ve! So, to avoid close friends and other family members from finding out like that, we did the hurry and call everyone important deal and ended up telling everyone! No going back now!

Sarah
#13 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

And FWIW, I took 4 tests, two different brands.. one of them being First Response. And DH thought he needed to take one, too just to make sure we didn't have a faulty batch of tests.. LOL. Negative, obviously.

Sarah
#14 of 14 Old 07-14-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rty0143 View Post
Thanks everyone!!! We are completely over the moon about this, it feels SO great to get positive feedback!
So we decided to tell the parents and siblings.. which turned catastrophic rather quickly! My DH's older brother immediately put on his Facebook that he's going to be an uncle. Oy ve! So, to avoid close friends and other family members from finding out like that, we did the hurry and call everyone important deal and ended up telling everyone! No going back now!
lol i threatened my dad if he said anything about it on FB before he was ready that I would not let him see the baby for a year... a shallow threat, tbh, but enough to get him to be silent for 2 weeks until everyone important was told!

Then DH called his mom and told her ITS A GIRL! before I called anyone... and she put it on facebook (forgot to tell her not to... and its her first girl...) so I had to do a rush-and-call for that.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page