Pregnancy insomnia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
UGH help me please!!! Gone is the exhaustion. I was in the bed for 7 weeks due to sickness. I am better now, since Saturday. All of sudden, sickness is gone!!! Yay~but now I cannot sleep. I do not sleep in the day. I get up at 6am and finally fall asleep at 1am. I wake up 5 times during this time to pee. Repeat cycle. I am active in the day. I do not have caffeine. I take a warm bath. I read. I watch TV. I take unisom.
I am so tired but I lay there and toss and turn. Then my body is a boiling hot furnace, tho the AC is set on 68 and a fan is on me, I am sooooo hot, then cold. So I cover and uncover. Then my nose is stuffy so I can breathe. Then I lay on my sides and oops gotta pee again. I am so tired of not sleeping. Ideas?

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry you're not sleeping well. That totally sucks.

With my all-the-time insomnia, I've developed a few things that work for me:

I take sleeping pills every night. Lately Source Naturals sublingual melatonin tablets have been working awesome. When things get really bad or I'm having an "eff the world" day, I'll take 25 mg Seroquel.

I do a nightly routine that I stick to - wash my face, brush my teeth, blow my nose, use saline spray in my nose, read a chapter in a book, lights out, etc.

When things were at their worst I was quite extreme. I would sleep with earplugs in, turn my clock around so I wouldn't worry about the time, blackout shades on my window, a towel stuffed under my door for exterior lights, etc.

Also, when you go to the bathroom, don't turn on any lights because it will shock your system back awake. I also try not to do anything stimulating to my eyes/brain 1 hour before bed - no TV, no computer screens, etc. Yoga zone also makes a 20 minute wind down from the day yoga video...very nice.

Hope some of that helps for you. But if nothing works, I highly recommend seroquel for a week or 2 to get yourself back in the swing of things. Just take it early or you'll be sleeping til noon.

Wifey to B-Rax  Momma to Cartman 10-30-2006.  Gryff 5-7-2008.  angel.gif 8-15-2010.  My rainbow1284.gif baby Babs 11-13-11.  Due with #4 in May/June.  Gluten-Free. Raw milk drinkers. Urban homesteaders.
 teapot2.GIF  delayedvax.gif  selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif  cd.gif  knit.gif  chicken3.gif  waterbirth.jpg 

Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 PM

I've always had pregnancy insomnia... I've learned to just go with. It usually gets better for the second trimester before rearing it's ugly head again half way thru the third. I've googled "food that helps you sleep" before and tried focusing on that for the latter part of the day...

Hope you get some real sleep soon.

Michelle, Happily married to first crush 4/2005, SAHM to DD 7/2006 , DS 8/2008 ,angel1.gif 4/2010, DD 3/2011, expecting DS 8/2013. 

Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 PM

Horrible insomnia for me too. I can fall asleep fine, but I can't stay asleep all night. I wake up to pee and can't fall back asleep or I toss and turn or think about stuff. Last night, I had a nightmare about my older dd getting attacked by a bear (I have no idea why) and then I couldn't fall back asleep for about an hour!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 PM

I woke up at 2:30 AM this morning to pee and never went back to sleep. Of course, I was already planning to get up at 4 AM because I took the younger three to DC today but still...that last 1 1/2 of sleep would have been nice. Sometimes it happens when I get up at 5 AM to take my thyroid med. I barely fall back asleep before it's time to wake up again. Hopefully this will pass soon for all of us!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 08-13-2010, 10:47 AM

The only difference between now and my pre-pregnancy sleep patterns is that now I have to pee when I wake up in the middle of the night. I woke up at three this morning, having gone to sleep at 12:30. The night before, I slept from midnight until one. Great.
I have taken 5-HTP in the past with some success, and will ask my midwife (when I choose one) if it is safe to use during pregnancy.
Oooh, sun is coming up, maybe I'll finally be able to sleep for another hour.

Helena, living in Oregon with my darling husband and our amazing little boy, born March, 2011. joy.gif
Old 08-13-2010, 11:24 AM

i have it too. major insomnia and then i'm exhausted all day and WANT to sleep but can't my body is quickly exhausting itself!

Melanie, SAHM to Kyley Grace (5)  Elijah Franklin (2) and Asher John (March 17th)
Old 08-13-2010, 05:12 PM

Me too! It's driving me nuts! I get up 3 times to pee and dream constantly. If I wake up too much, then I'm fully awake for about 1.5 hours. This is not at all like me.

My hubby used to sleep awful before I started giving him a tea with catnip, chamomile, lemon balm and passion flower. For the first time since we've been married (going on 10 years), he's sleeping awesome! So, if you're open to herbs, give it a try! I would take it, but I react to one of the herbs.

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
Old 08-14-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family4Christ View Post
Me too! It's driving me nuts! I get up 3 times to pee and dream constantly. If I wake up too much, then I'm fully awake for about 1.5 hours. This is not at all like me.
That is me, too. Peeing constantly and dreaming CRAZY dreams. I did neither before this pregnancy. At least DH understands when I head off to bed at 8p.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

Old 08-14-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
That is me, too. Peeing constantly and dreaming CRAZY dreams. I did neither before this pregnancy. At least DH understands when I head off to bed at 8p.
It's crazy, isn't it?? Wow, 8!? What time do you need to get up in the AM? My dd lets me sleep until 9:30 most days, so I'l able to stay up until around 11. I remember when I was pregnant with her, I would sleep 12 hours a night, but I don't seem to need as much sleep this time, thankfully!

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
Old 08-15-2010, 11:13 PM

I am having the same problems as mentioned above. Sometimes I fall right asleep but only sleep an hour or two before I am wide awake... wishing I were sleeping.
Sometimes I just can't fall asleep to begin with, no matter how tired I was all day.
Here's what has been working for me when I finally decide that I need help to fall asleep. Young Living brand Lavendar oil. (NO other brand has works like Young Living in my opinion... they are VERY high quality.) I drop a drop on the back of my neck and rub it in, then around to my temples. Basically just all around my head. I also take an entire dropper of Bach's Rescue Rhemedy.
I swear that within 15 minutes of doing this I am asleep. Lavendar Oil is my miracle oil. <3 it!

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
Old 08-22-2010, 08:09 AM

Insomnia has kicked in, hard core, this week. Before I would wake to pee and then fall back asleep. Now I wake to pee and then lie awake in bed for awhile, usually ending up on the couch watching infomercials.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

Old 08-22-2010, 12:14 PM

I think it's starting here too.

Yesterday afternoon, I couldn't function so I went for a nap. What a bad idea!!! I couldn't fall sleep before 2am when dh came in bed and then a couple had a fight at 4 am outside. (a rare occurence). had a hard time going back to sleep. Then I just slept on and off until my neighbor decided to do more renovation and using his hammer.

So today will be another hard day to function. ugh

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif

User Tag List