Dental work while pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-18-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a cleaning last week and my dentist suggests re-filling two of my molars. It's been ten years and the fillings have started to crack. My dentist is very proactive about fillings, which is fine with me and my cavity-ridden mouth. I asked him what he though about dental work during pregnancy and he said that the second trimester it's safest to get work done. Also, he was very clear that this is not an emergency, so I could wait until I've given birth.

I tend to get REALLY tense and worn out while getting fillings (I've had lots of them, but I still get nervous). And I really just don't want to deal with it while pregnant. I worry about the chemicals involved. But I also like to get my teeth taken care of right away and I wonder if I'll really feel like doing this any time soon after birth. I'm afraid I'll completely forget/not care in the postpartum whirlwind and end up with a double root canal!

Anyone had fillings while pregnant? Any thoughts?
Thanks
#2 of 8 Old 08-18-2010, 02:09 PM

DDC - I haven't had fillings while pregnant however I've had problems with one of my wisdom teeth. My dentist said that it could wait until after baby comes, however if I start having problems the 2nd trimester would be the best time to take care of it.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#3 of 8 Old 08-18-2010, 02:09 PM

I have, with my first. I would not reccommend it if it can be avoided. I don't know that this would be true for everyone, but my metabolisim of the xylocane (or whatever numbing agent) was really really fast. When you are pregnant, they don't use epinephrine(sp) in the numbing agent, which means it doesn't last as long. I literally had about 10 minutes from the time the shot started working until it beagan to wear off. I think I had 3 or 4 office visits with work done, and he would have to re numb me every time in the middle at least once. I actually had to do most of my scaling and plaining with out being numb, as he and I both wanted to limit the amount I was taking. Yeah, ouch.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#4 of 8 Old 08-18-2010, 04:53 PM

if there is any active decay, i would personally get it treated before giving birth to minimize the baby's exposure to that bacteria. if it's just a filling that needs to be replaced, i'd probably still get it done before birth just because i remember having dental work done when my son was an infant and it was really stressful for me to leave him with my mom while i had the work done. he was out in the lobby to minimize the time away, and i could hear him crying and it was awful.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#5 of 8 Old 08-18-2010, 05:25 PM

Are they silver fillings? If so, you should definitely, definitely NOT have them replaced while pregnant or breastfeeding.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#6 of 8 Old 08-18-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Are they silver fillings? If so, you should definitely, definitely NOT have them replaced while pregnant or breastfeeding.
agreed. My son's food allergies/eczema started the week after I had 5 fillings (3 of them amalgams) replaced in the traditional method. We've been down a long road since.

Can you see a dentist schooled in the safe removal of amalgams if they simply must be replaced?

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#7 of 8 Old 08-18-2010, 06:55 PM

I agree not to get them worked on if they are amalgams, while pg unless your teeth are rotting.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#8 of 8 Old 08-18-2010, 10:54 PM

oh, yeah. big no to "silver filling" work. i'd suggest they not even clean those fillings while pregnant.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page