Can't stand the veggies right now! Help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-18-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first, a stunning 40th birthday present, and frankly, I'm clueless. Currently, its my diet that's killing me. I'm a competative long distance triathlete (with national championships just a couple weeks away; we're playing it by ear) who typically eats a minimum of 8 servings of fruits and veggies every day along with protein shakes, vitamins, and yucky endurance fuels. Normally I only eat grain based carbs (you know, bagels, pasta, etc) within a workout window: the hour or so before a workout and the two days before a race. My last race was while I was actually just pregnant, we think, and I had the best race of my life! I was at 15% body fat and my diet was normal.

Fast forward to the last couple of weeks. My training is actually completely on course, my coach is a mother who trained through pregnancy and we are all on the same page. My diet has gone straight to crap though. For example, last friday I ordered a big salad with grilled chicken and fruits and so on and when it came to the table, I took one bite, handed it back to the waitress and said 'bring me a club sandwich.' I haven't eaten a club sandwich in years.

Last night I started to make a spinach salad, a very normal dinner, with grape tomatoes and cheese and hard boiled eggs. Its a regular rotation meal. I put the spinach on the plate, looked at it, and thought 'I really really don't want to eat that.' I ate a bagel and egg sandwich.

Today I got to work and ate an apple (good start), bagel/egg combo, a donut, and about 7000 pieces of chocolate. I took out my salad at lunch and only at the chicken. The veggies just turned me off. Not stomach turning, just not yummy.

And I've pretty much lived on club sandwiches for the last week, the only saving grace is that I don't like mayo, so I order them without (god, if I could eat bacon at every meal I think I'd be happy).

I assume this is normal, but its making my stomach feel awful. Not so awful that I stop of course...
#2 of 13 Old 08-18-2010, 04:42 PM

i'm also a big vegetable eater and have found the idea of actually eating one these last few weeks to be unbearable. it's extremely frustrating as we have an abundance of vegetables out in the garden that i have been having to give away because i can't eat them. last weekend i was out there having to plant our vegetables, while in the meantime finding all the things currently growing completely repulsive. but, it does pass so i planted the stuff for the next couple of months knowing this. try not to stress too much about your body's particularities, none of them will last. you'll be back to your normal diet soon, in not later. i am 8 weeks and *starting* to feel like i *maybe* might eat a vegetable *sometime* soon.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#3 of 13 Old 08-18-2010, 05:17 PM

I will be 12 w tomorrow and am just getting to where I can stomach veggies(some)now. I usually eat a TON of veggies and little carbs,its the opposite. My weight has shown for it too. But then again, I am carrying two.

I can now eat
cauliflower
cucumbers
lettuce
canned veggies
collard greens(dont like them but good for iron because I cant stomach spinach for some reason, but can stomach greens?)

Just give it time, it will come back, its normal.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#4 of 13 Old 08-18-2010, 05:49 PM

I believe you should always cooperate with your food aversions in early pregnancy. Even if they seem unhealthy, at that moment they are probably the healthiest option.

I read a book once with some very interesting thoughts on pregnancy sickness. The author theorized that not only is morning sickness (along with other aversions to odors and such) protective, but a lot of normal healthy foods especially vegetables have small amounts of compounds with slight toxicity to the developing baby. These are easy for our adult bodies to process with no problems, but not for tiny ultrasensitive developing organs. And we have no way of knowing exactly what compounds are problematic and what exactly they cause. There were certain birth defects more common for people who ate lots of certain foods, but there were only a few situations where such patterns could be seen.

What I took from that is to simplify diet to be fairly bland in the first trimester and avoid anything you have any aversion to, then in the second trimester worry more about diversity and nutrients. And to be grateful for the nausea's help in protecting your baby by communicating its needs.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#5 of 13 Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 PM

I can't even look at a veggie right now. Ok, a potato, I can look at. But anything green? Yuck yuck yuck.

Totally normal, and totally frustrating.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#6 of 13 Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlest birds View Post
I read a book once with some very interesting thoughts on pregnancy sickness. The author theorized that not only is morning sickness (along with other aversions to odors and such) protective, but a lot of normal healthy foods especially vegetables have small amounts of compounds with slight toxicity to the developing baby.
I think I just read this book too! It's made me a bit paranoid, but less guilty about not eating much green stuff.

I would agree and say just trust your body right now, and things will be back to normal in a couple weeks.
#7 of 13 Old 08-19-2010, 11:01 AM

I agree, eat what you can. I also can't eat most veggies. I have discovered, though, that I can eat

raw snap peas
raw carrots
romaine lettuce
cooked green beans

That's about it right now. I think I could probably eat raw cabbage too. And I can still eat typical fruit.

You just gotta eat what you can eat, within reason. Probably bacon for every meal isn't the greatest idea, but one meal a day isn't going to hurt (I don't think).
#8 of 13 Old 08-19-2010, 11:13 AM

my spinach last night tasted like fish to me. ewww!

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#9 of 13 Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 AM

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I like the taste of veggies, but the aftermath is not pretty. I always get sick on them. The only veggies I can stand are cooked ones in very small quantities. I really miss eating salads and veggies, but I'm just not able right now. I have to stick to what I can stomach so I'm not bent over the toilet all day!
#10 of 13 Old 08-20-2010, 06:36 PM

i'm a vegetarian, so as you can imagine.. this aversion to all vegetables is killing me! some fruits i can stomach.. like plums and peaches.. but any type of vegetable (not including plantains and potatoes yum!) is totally out. GROSS!! In fact, i tried to have a veggie burger at a restaurant today and nearly gagged because they made it fresh and i could taste the beets in it UGH!

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#11 of 13 Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 PM

well at almost 9 weeks i am happy to report that i've started dipping my toes back into the veggie pool. two salads over the last two days, and i tested a bite of the broccoli slaw that i made for our camping trip and it didn't make me vomit (though i was still squeamish about trying it.) i've even been having cravings for this stirfry cucumber recipe that i loved last year in cuke season. SO, i'm very hopeful!

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#12 of 13 Old 08-22-2010, 12:33 PM

I'm another big veggie lover that can't do veggies currently. Or nuts. It's tragic! All the yummy things I love are so gross. I agree that you can't force it.

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#13 of 13 Old 08-23-2010, 12:53 AM

I'm fine with (most) fruits and veggies - I just can't stand protein! I can't tolerate meat, milk (dairy or goat - and almond is sketchy), nuts and nut butters are iffy.

When I have a window where my body is willing to consider protein, I try it. It's 50/50 as to whether I get to keep it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page