Sequential Screening and Heart Rate Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-26-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, just looking to get input on a couple of things from all of you experienced Mamas...

First, I had my 10 week ultrasound last week and saw a bouncing baby - YAY! The baby measured a few days less than I expected, but at the same time I think I ovulate a bit late in my cycle, so it makes sense. The baby had a heart rate of 160 - this is good for 10 weeks, right? The dr. said it was good, but she wasn't quite as excited as I was hoping for I guess.

Also, we signed up to do the sequential screening - not that we would do anything if we came back as high risk, but more just to be prepared. I understand it's an ultrasound and blood test and then another blood test at 19 weeks. I didn't have this when I was pregnant with my dd, but I wonder if that's because I was 27 then and am 30 now? Does anyone have any feedback about sequential screening - positive or negative? I'm just wondering what the thoughts out there are.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-26-2010, 07:34 PM

I'm not doing any of those tests, because everything that I've read seems like there is an even greater chance of getting a false positive than getting a real positive. Seems like it would cause a lot of unneeded stress. My best friend got a marker for Downs for her 3rd baby, and had to wait 2 or 3 weeks for the additional testing. Turns out it was a false positive, but she was just a wreck during that time.

I like to think of it this way- if the test does show something abnormal, what would you do?

(fwiw- I was 31 when I had DD and am 34 now.)

And just out of curiosity- do they do 10 week ultrasounds standard now?!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 3 Old 08-26-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...I don't know if in general 10 week ultrasounds are standard. At my OB's office, they seem to be. (I saw midwives with my first pregnancy after 3 months, but can't see them now, as I had an emergency c-section with my dd). We also had a m/c earlier this year that we didn't know about until the 10 week ultrasound (no signs before ultrasound), so for us, it's something that we feel better having.

I would not do anything about it if I had a positive from the testing, I guess I just felt as though I might feel more prepared for the possibilities. I have heard of lots of false positives also, so I would take that into consideration and hopefully not stress over it. Which I guess...then why do the test? Something to think about for sure.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page