saying hi and placenta previa questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-27-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas!

I've been stalking here for awhile, and I thought I should probably just say hi! I'm 13 weeks and due March 3 with my second.

Yesterday was pretty scary....I had a huge gush of blood and went to the ER, continuing to bleed for awhile. I thought for sure we were miscarrying but the ultrasound showed a beautiful baby with a beating heart measuring perfectly.

It also showed placenta previa. The midwives sent me home to rest, no sex, etc. The bleeding has slowed almost to a stop today, so we're just waiting and praying.

2 questions - 1) Has anyone else had experience with pp this early? 2) Does anyone know if there is any risk in continuing to nurse my 1yo? He only nurses once in the morning, but I wondered if it would still cause any sort of contracting that could further exacerbate the bleeding.
#2 of 4 Old 08-27-2010, 03:31 PM

Oh goodness! That's sure scary!

I had partial PP with my first until late in the pregnancy. It didn't cause any problems and I also had total pelvic rest.

On nursing...I have no contracting when nursing at all, but I know some do. Do you feel any tightening at all when nursing? I feel BHs very early, so I'm able to feel if anything is going on. I don't know if this is the norm of not though.

Blessed helpmeet to my man, mama to Cody, Sarai & newly born Rebekah
#3 of 4 Old 08-27-2010, 03:52 PM

Did they tell you to what degree you had pp? I had it last time but it had resolved by 17 weeks. I'm not sure on the nursing but I guess it is something you need to seriously weigh the pros and cons. Congrats btw!

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#4 of 4 Old 08-28-2010, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
DDC crashing - not due in March, did have previa...

Bleeding at thirteen weeks? Eeeep! That's not so good. There are more questions I would want answers to if I were you - where is the placenta centered, for example? Is it anterior or posterior (can they even tell at this point)? I would want a *lot* more information from the doctors.

A lot of placentas cover the cervix early on in pregnancy, but generally, unless they are centered on or very near the cervix, they move out of the way as pregnancy progresses. The trick is to stay pregnant while they do that.

One of the problems with previa is that the placenta can irritate the cervix, causing dilation, which in turn irritates the placenta, causing the lacunae of blood in the placenta to rupture, and potentially damaging the oxygen transfer membrane between you and the baby. And if you get to a point where there's an unstable hemorrhage, they'll have no choice but to try and deliver the baby. My doctors were of the opinion that a "silent" previa is probably stable - a watch and wait situation - but that a previa that has bled once will bleed again, and if they *could* do anything but watch and wait, they would.

(Sidebar: previa makes doctors twitch. Until and unless they have you on the table for surgery, there is nothing they can do. They hate it.)

My pelvic rest for previa instructions did, eventually, include "no nipple stimulation." If I had it all to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would have cut nipple stimulation earlier.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page