So, what are you craving? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious what other mamas are craving right now. My cravings seem to be a combination of things that settle my stomach and stuff my body needs. Currently, that consists of:
-garden tomatoes with cucumbers and feta and lots of vinegar (I actually drink up the vinegar in the bottom of the bowl- weird)
-sharp cheese with a thick glob of mustard on top
-plums
-bison burgers
-fried eggs on toast with melted American cheese on top
-hot chocolate- the only form of chocolate that appeals to me these days
-organic lemon drops. I eat these until my tongue is raw. Helps the nausea though. I think I'll go get one right now in fact.
-My all time favorite, most soothing thing has been Boylan's Seltzer, which my co-op can't GET anymore. Waaa.

Now your turn. What are you feeding that "baby in your tummy" as my son says?

SAHM to my beautiful, joyful, silent D (9/90) and exuberant, charismatic, not-so-silent S (11/07) and our precious little chickpea DD born 3/11 ,+7 animals. Partner to my lovely "M.O". Trying to live with intention.

#2 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 10:47 PM

Tuna salad (I've been eating it very minimally)
vegetable soup
anything vinegar (it helps my morning sickness)
reeses pieces

#3 of 30 Old 08-28-2010, 03:24 AM

My biggest craving has been chai tea. I went out searching for (and found) a decaf one that I like. The biggest hurdle for me now is finding a "milk" for it. Cow makes me ill (I have celiac disease, and many of us can't handle casein as well as gluten), goat used to be fine -but it's causing my eczema to flare (?), rice tastes awful to me, almond's not much better right now, and I don't do soy (thyroid). Ugh. But I've been using the goat milk we have now for the time being... I can't stop the chai craving!
#4 of 30 Old 08-28-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

gen_here,
What about coconut milk? There's even a coconut creamer that's thicker and richer. That would be delicious. Mmm. I think I'll make some coconut chai.

SAHM to my beautiful, joyful, silent D (9/90) and exuberant, charismatic, not-so-silent S (11/07) and our precious little chickpea DD born 3/11 ,+7 animals. Partner to my lovely "M.O". Trying to live with intention.

#5 of 30 Old 08-28-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahmn12 View Post
gen_here,
What about coconut milk? There's even a coconut creamer that's thicker and richer. That would be delicious. Mmm. I think I'll make some coconut chai.
Ohhhh, that sounds gooooooood.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#6 of 30 Old 08-28-2010, 07:22 PM

The only things I'm really craving now are soda and salt--both things help me eat whatever I can.
#7 of 30 Old 08-28-2010, 08:19 PM

Lots of salad! Almost any kind but I'm really into tomatoes with balsamic.

Mama Lea, grateful wife to and mom to Big Boy 10/04/06 and my little Sunshine boy 10/06/08 and surprise joining the bed sometime in March 2011
#8 of 30 Old 08-28-2010, 11:46 PM

Anything that's not a vegetable I am soooooo jealous of those mamas who all they want is salad. I had fish and chips for dinner. I'm really hoping that this passes and I'll be able to eat a little better soon!

Elizabeth (31) & DH (31)
DS born October 15th, 2008
Our amazing HBAC DD born March 21th, 2011
#9 of 30 Old 08-29-2010, 01:20 PM

Cheese, cottage cheese, fruit, pickles, tuna (I know; mercury), lemonade, Clif bars (but the flavor I like has caffeine in it. Boo!), crackers, popcorn, bean burritos. Salt! Brownies. Horchata. Yes to vinegar. Sauerkraut! Mustard and sausage...

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#10 of 30 Old 08-29-2010, 04:01 PM

Any type of cheese I can get. Today it has been dill pickles (basically ate a whole jar) and mint Milano cookies. In DHs words "you are most definitely pregnant!"
Posted via Mobile Device

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#11 of 30 Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 PM

I know it's gross, but when I do feel hungry I crave mayonaise. I'm not doing it, but I think I could eat tuna salad every day. Or Subway veggie sub with twice the normal mayo. I'm feeling sick right now, and the thought of it is grossing me out.
#12 of 30 Old 08-29-2010, 09:58 PM

DDDC crasher here...sorta

My cravings are gone.I really don't crave anything anymore like I did a few weeks ago. Now its just eat whatever, whenever. I do have adversions though

no raw veggies except cucs and tomatoes
no sodas, coffee even near me
no pickles ugh.
no chocolate though I can tolerate brownies and choc cake, just not straight chocolate.

I eat everything else pretty happily. I kinda miss cravings. wah.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#13 of 30 Old 08-30-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
gen_here,
That sounds awesome! I'm going to have to pick some up when we do our "natural foods" shopping on Wednesday. Thanks! I have the canned stuff that I use in smoothies now and then, but I've seen that creamer and have been wanting to try it - just the thought of coffee has been :Puke lately =)
#14 of 30 Old 08-30-2010, 04:36 AM

I have to admit, I haven't really had any cravings or aversions with this one. Although I was eating anything and everything that was set in front of me until about one week ago.

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11
#15 of 30 Old 08-30-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

gen_here:
Here's the stuff I'm talking about. It comes in 1/2 gallons, and it's yummy! http://www.turtlemountain.com/produc..._beverage.html

I would top it off with the coconut coffee creamer for extra richness. Mmmmmm.

#16 of 30 Old 08-30-2010, 11:25 AM

I haven't had any consistant cravings. It's more like I'll see something or smell something and NEED to have it RIGHT THEN.

I've been having problems with drinks because I'm SO thirsty, but water sometimes tastes "off" and anything sweetened gives me a rotten taste in my mouth. HOWEVER, I just found that plain sparkling water with a slice of lime is my new best friend. Yum.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#17 of 30 Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 PM

right now, bacon

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#18 of 30 Old 08-30-2010, 01:41 PM

Hmm...tabasco sauce! i've never really eaten this stuff but my sister brought it over for a recipe a while back and it sounds really good. The problem is I'm not sure what all to put it on. I've had it on eggs, added to soup and chili. Otherwise I'm craving pickles, chicken salad, vegetable soup, salty potato chips-really any form of potatoes-and soda (which I'm trying to keep to mineral water.) More cravings than I remember with my previous pregnancies. Usually all food sounds gross all the time.
#19 of 30 Old 08-30-2010, 06:08 PM

Baba ganoush with pita & falafil sandwich with hummus & tabouli

Married Mom to K(8), K(7) & C born March 23rd.
#20 of 30 Old 08-30-2010, 09:41 PM

gala apples cold in the fridge (a mainstay of my last pregnancy too), cheese and bread of any kind, plain potato chips and weirdly, kefir - must drink some every day!

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
#21 of 30 Old 08-31-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
gen_here:
Here's the stuff I'm talking about. It comes in 1/2 gallons, and it's yummy! http://www.turtlemountain.com/produc..._beverage.html

I would top it off with the coconut coffee creamer for extra richness. Mmmmmm.
Yes! That's the stuff. Thanks! We're on a tight budget, so I'm waiting for it to go on sale. The one store I was at yesterday had the creamers on sale - so I think I'll just dilute the mix with extra water and add a little creamer to it for now.
#22 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 AM

Fruit, fruit, and more fruit! Fresh fruit, whole fruit popsicles, green smoothies, smoothie popsicles, orange juice. Yum.

Oh, and Ethiopian food. More yum.
#23 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 01:59 PM

I don't get cravings so much as ideas of what sounds good or doesn't sound good. Savory things are NOT good unless they are sweet n savory (like chicken with a fruity sauce or bbq chicken nachos that have a sweet kick). Unfortunately, I am also really liking carbs which I need to control this time to avoid gaining 20lbs in the first trimester. I'm going on 3 already which isn't terrible but isn't warranted at this stage of pregnancy (and I am overweight to begin with so I don't need to gain as much as average).

Lemon drops sound good...I'll have to get some of those.

Re: coconut - I recommend it, but recommend the actual full fat milk over the creamer. I don't know what they do to the creamer, but I believe there is no fat. However, the fat in coconut milk is SO GOOD for a pregnant woman - seek it out!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#24 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
Re: coconut - I recommend it, but recommend the actual full fat milk over the creamer. I don't know what they do to the creamer, but I believe there is no fat. However, the fat in coconut milk is SO GOOD for a pregnant woman - seek it out!
You're right that the creamer lists 0 g fat per serving - but the serving is really small (like 2T, I believe). I have a feeling that if you use more than what's listed as a serving, there would have to be fat in there. The very first ingredient on the list is organic coconut milk. I do use the canned coconut milk in smoothies, coconut oil for all our cooking, and put shredded coconut in the smoothies and in cereal. But you're completely right - coconut oil is incredibly good for everyone, especially pregnant moms (and babies)!
#25 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_here View Post
You're right that the creamer lists 0 g fat per serving - but the serving is really small (like 2T, I believe). I have a feeling that if you use more than what's listed as a serving, there would have to be fat in there. The very first ingredient on the list is organic coconut milk. I do use the canned coconut milk in smoothies, coconut oil for all our cooking, and put shredded coconut in the smoothies and in cereal. But you're completely right - coconut oil is incredibly good for everyone, especially pregnant moms (and babies)!
I was thinking that too so I thought I'd check my can of coconut milk. 1/3 cup has 14g fat, and that is about 5 1/3 Tbs. A third of that is about 1.75 Tbs which would be a little more than 4.5g fat (compared to the creamer serving of 2T and ~0 fat). So, compared to milk, it seems like the creamer is processed somehow but still quite creamy. I was curious to email them last year and ask but never did.

All that is a good reminder that I should be consuming it a lot more too! I had to dig in the back of one of the pantry shelves to get the can out.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#26 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 05:55 PM

i've had some moods, but i don't have any real cravings. i'm following my moods as much as i can since most things have made me want to puke (though this has really been easing up). one odd thing... zucchini's have persistently made me want to puke, but zucchini bread has been rocking my world. also have wanted a tuna sandwich but don't want to make it, so have been able to avoid it. lemonade is probably the closest thing to a craving i've had.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#27 of 30 Old 09-02-2010, 01:57 PM

I get a taste for something, and will drive across the city if necessary in order to have some. Then I taste it once, thoroughly enjoy it, and the thought forever after makes me sick. So my "cravings" are always a one-time thing, which seems weird to me. Just getting out of the nausea stage though, so I'm looking forward to being able to think about food without being sick!
The past few weeks I have been getting Funky Monkeys from Booster Juice every once in awhile (chocolate soy milk, frozen yogurt, banana) with a protein boost. Before getting pregnant, I got a Starbucks every day, so it seems like I've found a non-coffee drink alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposita View Post
Oh, and Ethiopian food. More yum.
Mmmm, I'm going out with my cousin for Ethiopian food on Saturday! I can hardly wait!
#28 of 30 Old 09-02-2010, 10:09 PM

orange_mommy: That is what I'm experiencing. Here's what I've driven around town for: pickled herring, pastries, bagels w/ cream cheese, kefir, strawberries, bacon...
I've also been craving deer steaks and deer burgers. Whoa. That sounds good right now. Vegetables, fruit smoothies, green beans, cheese, bean burritos, who am I kidding? Everything sounds good. At least once.
Except chocolate, Ben & Jerry's (!), garlic, and onions.
#29 of 30 Old 09-10-2010, 03:34 PM

I have spur of the moment cravings - I think of something or hear of it and I must have it! My first craving this pregnancy was for pork chops, which I then ate and even the thought of eating ever again makes me puke; I consistently am craving cream cheese wontons, but have yet to eat them. Also gala apples with white cheddar is a frequent go to item. Lots of nectarines. It's fun hearing what other people are craving because then I can think of something new that I might actually want to eat!
I concur, the lemon drops sound amazing. I'm going to go look for some on my break : )
#30 of 30 Old 09-10-2010, 05:23 PM

Mexican- I think I could eat it every meal, breakfast burritos, tamales for lunch and chicken quesadilla's or something for dinner, YUM! Other than that it has been a fairly easy eating pregnancy, not much different than normal, I never know what sounds good. Like right now I'm hungry but I don't know what for!

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page