Drinking alcohol - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My head is spinning too. I grew up the oldest in a family that took in foster kids. We had over 100 kids in our home. Many were addicted to crack and had severe FAS and severe disabilitys. MY family is also European first generation immigrants.

I drink very moderately while pregnant. I do not understand the scare tactics in this country around mature moderate alcohal consumption and I have lived my life with the truth of FAS. There is a massive difference between binge drinking and moderate drinking and I am mature enough to know the difference and if any man knocked a glass out of my hand I would be beyond furious.
I also raise almost all of my food including all meat that I consume. I work damn hard and yes I have no shame about an occasional sip of wine with my gorgeous feast of a meal and my big gorgeous belly.

farming with 2 wild things and their hot daddy uc.jpg
#32 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyss View Post
So, I'm still in the first tri - either 12w3d or 12w. And I really want a glass of wine.

I've had two beers this pregnancy.

I didn't drink at all with my DD, and maybe had 4-5 glasses of wine or beer when pregnant with DS. I see a lot of conflicting info, but a great deal of it says no alcohol at all in the first tri.

This seems a little over-cautious to me. Really? A glass of wine is forbidden in the first tri?

Anyone want to weigh in? I don't have a problem abstaining. I just think a glass of wine would taste good and be relaxing. I can't imagine it's worse than, say, a diet coke?
Maybe pour your husband a glass and have a sip of his?

I'm personally not going to bother, but that is easy for me to say because it's not something that's on my mind at all. Probably because I've been going to bed around 8pm lol

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#33 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 11:42 AM

I would like to add something real quick that has come up for me while reading this thread: there's a difference between rationalizing something and having true awareness about it. I'm not trying to be rude, just sharing what I've noticed, in case it helps anyone...
#34 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 11:59 AM

I have already answered the OP with how I feel, and I have a gentle question for rainbow.

I understand you have been deeply impacted with your work with FASD and you have a unique perspective. Do you think a few drinks (say five just to be more specific) all AFTER the first trimester could lead to anything along the FASD?

And about not following midwife's advice. Not all midwives are created equally. There are plenty of recommendations certain midwives would give that I would no way follow! Of course I've chosen a midwife I would certainly consider all of her reccomendations, but I still will evaluate each situation and not just blindly follow.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#35 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 12:15 PM

I've had a lot of alcohol cravings during this pregnancy, too. I'm not indulging, but have found lots of things to satisfy the cravings.

Old Milwaukee (snicker, I know) has a very decent tasting non-alcoholic beer. It's much better even than Buckler's, which is a pretty high end import NA. I am suprised at how good it is.

For margarita cravings, frozen lime pops with a teeny sprinkle of sea salt do the trick. Also, I occasionally enjoy a virgin hand mixed bloody mary (only occasionally though, because the heartburn is a BEAR).

I've not found anything that subs well for wine, though.

Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some kids. Expecting someone new in Februrary!â¢â¢â¢â¢5â¢â¢â¢â¢10â¢â¢â¢â¢15â¢â¢â¢â¢20â¢â¢â¢25â¢â¢â¢â¢30â¢â¢â¢â¢35â¢â¢â¢â¢40
#36 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post
I have already answered the OP with how I feel, and I have a gentle question for rainbow.

I understand you have been deeply impacted with your work with FASD and you have a unique perspective. Do you think a few drinks (say five just to be more specific) all AFTER the first trimester could lead to anything along the FASD?
Did you mean to ask dislocator this instead? She's the one who's worked with families impacted by FASD. I just speak from intuition and information I've gathered from different sources.
#37 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyMcFluff View Post
Old Milwaukee (snicker, I know) has a very decent tasting non-alcoholic beer. It's much better even than Buckler's, which is a pretty high end import NA. I am suprised at how good it is.
"Non-alcoholic" beer does have alcohol in it. So you ARE in fact drinking alcohol during pregnancy, even if it is a very small amount.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#38 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
"Non-alcoholic" beer does have alcohol in it. So you ARE in fact drinking alcohol during pregnancy, even if it is a very small amount.
Here's hoping my baby isn't born with 2 heads, then.

Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some kids. Expecting someone new in Februrary!â¢â¢â¢â¢5â¢â¢â¢â¢10â¢â¢â¢â¢15â¢â¢â¢â¢20â¢â¢â¢25â¢â¢â¢â¢30â¢â¢â¢â¢35â¢â¢â¢â¢40
#39 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_mandala View Post
Did you mean to ask dislocator this instead? She's the one who's worked with families impacted by FASD. I just speak from intuition and information I've gathered from different sources.
oops! yes, sorry!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#40 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=echospiritwarrior;15803804]I have already answered the OP with how I feel, and I have a gentle question for rainbow.

QUOTE]

My gut tells me that a few drinks towards the end of pregnancy wouldn't cause FASD or FAE. But I have no data on that. I have never heardof or seen a study that addressed an extremely limited alcohol consumption. Rationally, I can see that once the organs are formed the risk should be greatly reduced. But the brain is growing so RAPIDLY from conception to age 5 that I can also see how even a very minor exposure could have much larger consequences.

But that's only my gut, and my gut tells me lots of things that are very clearly wrong. My gut tells me that a baby's head should not be able to fit out of a vagina and I've personally experienced that very thing happening.

Personally, I don't risk anything more than a sip during pregnancy. Not even a glass of wine to test out BH contractions at the end. But that's just me.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#41 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 08:01 PM

Okay, so let me address Rainbow's Mayo clinic study. 5-6 units of alcohol per week is ALMOST A DRINK EVERYDAY! A glass of wine at every dinner is VERY different from having a glass of wine at a wedding, or one a week to complement dinner. A couple of drinks at a time while pregnant would not be good for me because I'm kid of small, and I know my limits. BTW, I've known my limits since I was 19. It is NOT easy to overindulge in alcohol. Are we kids here? One drink is fine, and always has been, even for pregnant women, and I really think it's our country's religiousity, as well as our history of prohibition, that has made us so overly freaked out about alcohol.

So they documented that the fetus processes alcohol more slowly. Have they documented the effects of a single glass of alcohol on a fetus or embryo? What about 2? They claim that no amount of alcohol has been shown to be safe, but no one has done studies on the smaller amounts of alcohol. It's no big deal that the baby "feels it" if there is no damage done.

My midwife (and I both) subscribe to a more European model of pregnancy limits. I eat sushi, drink the occasional glass of beer or wine, eat soft cheeses (but who cares in this country, where it's all pasteurized,) and have continued Olympic-style weightlifting this pregnancy, albeit with lighter weights. I did everything except the weight lifting when pregnant with DS and he came out just fine. I know that's anecdotal evidence, but quite frankly, the program on FAS that I saw on Discovery Health a few years ago impacted me greatly. The alcoholic woman they documented had three children. She drank the same throughout all three pregnancies. The first child was unaffected, the second had mild FAS, and the third was severe. The woman also drank a fifth of vodka a day. The experts they interviewed basically said they only see FAS in the children of alcoholic women. So, since I found out I was pg with my DS the day before I left on my honeymoon to Ireland, I went ahead and had half a pint at the Guinness Storehouse, and drank a couple more pints over the two weeks we were there.

Sarah~ Crunchy, Wiccan, AP, Gemini mama who loves her amazing 3 year old little man and energetic DH. Learning to cope with the idea of a 2nd son.
#42 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by segrau View Post
So, since I found out I was pg with my DS the day before I left on my honeymoon to Ireland, I went ahead and had half a pint at the Guinness Storehouse, and drank a couple more pints over the two weeks we were there.
It seems to me like everything you've said is simply a lead-up to this confession. "I've heard this, Europeans do this, here's some anecdotal evidence and then this is what I consumed during the most critical period of development." It sounds like rationalizing to me, is what I'm getting at.
#43 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Look, I'm the OP. I didn't ask for lectures or data. I asked what you all were doing individually, and I guess the why was ok, but if you've found yourself being intolerant of other moms' choices, maybe you should start you own thread for the preachin. I didn't ask for a guilt trip.

Thanks for all your data points. I am going to agree to disagree with a few you. I think I will probably have a glass of wine or beer here or there if I make it into the second trimester. I think you should all agree to disagree, too, and make this the last post in this thread.
#44 of 44 Old 09-03-2010, 11:54 PM

And now I'm closing this thread Please PM me if you have questions or concerns. Thanks ya'll.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page