Prolonged Labors. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-09-2010, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else lurk in September babies to read the birth stories?

I just re-read DD's birth story, and it reminded me of the 3 nights prior to my induction when I had painful, excruciating contractions all night long that stopped as the sun came up, and then had to wake up and work.

I had forgotten about that. I was so exhausted that when the doctor told me I wasn't dilated or effaced at all after all those contractions, I demanded an induction. I was so anxious. The doctor told me sometimes mothers have intuitions about that, and if I absolutely felt like I needed to get the btionaby out, he would do it, but it would likely end in a c-section because my body wasn't favorable to induction (I forget what those scores are called).

My labor was so awful. It was like the night-time contractions. Painful, short contractions one on top of another with no space in between to recover. All my bradley method couldn't help me because they just were constant and excruciating.

I progressed pretty well through 24 excruciating hours of induction, but by then I was so tired all I wanted to do was sleep. After 24 hours, I got an epidural. My water broke, but DD wouldn't descend at all, and I stopped contracting. After a few more hours, she was in distress and I had the c-section.

The cord was wrapped very tightly around her neck at least twice and her apgars were ok, but not great. The doctor thought that's why she didn't drop - not even after my water broke. He could hardly touch her head, and even then had no idea which was she was facing.

Do you think I had such a horrible three nights of false labor because there was a problem? I'm glad I trusted my instincts and had the induction, even though it was an awful experience, because she came out healthy and it could have ended much worse.

With DS, my water broke the morning of my scheduled c-section and the contractions were manageable - in fact GREAT - until they gave me the spinal for the repeat c-section. I have no idea how dilated I was, but DS came out with a very coned head.

I'm just curious. Did you have an awful labor? Were there any problems?
#2 of 26 Old 09-09-2010, 11:21 PM

I had a horrible labor/birth experience. I was induced due to preeclampsia. 19 hours of hard labor with an epidural that didn't work. 3 hours of pushing wich lead to a vaccum extraction and 3rd degree tear. Daughter is profoundly deaf and disabled due to the trauma to her head during birth. (she is 16 months and still cannot even crawl or stand or anything) An hour later I hemmoraged and since my daughter was rushed to the NICU after her birth I wasn't able to see her until the next day. I then developed a uterine infection and a 104degree temp. At the same time I was also having softball sized clots every hour. I had a vaginal delivery but still required a 4 day stay in the hospital, my daughter stayed in the NICU for 2 weeks. Worst experience EVER! I'm hoping this one goes much more smoothly and things turn out ok.

Wife to Robert 8-9-08heartbeat.gif Mommy to Lani 4-24-09 babygirl.gif and Cambria 3-25-11 babygirl.gif and one on the way! 6-26-13 stork-suprise.gif

#3 of 26 Old 09-09-2010, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so sorry that happened. It must be incredibly painful.

What do you think the dr. should have done differently? c-section earlier? Monitoring?

It probably does no good to go back and think about it. I'm just sorry that happened to you. Did you have PPD after all of that trauma? I hope this time everything is perfect. Although that doesn't fix anything. I'm so sorry for all you've been through.
#4 of 26 Old 09-10-2010, 09:36 AM

My heart always hurts for women who have had bad birth experiences. My first labor/delivery wasn't AWFUL...it just wasn't great. Induction>long labor>3 1/2 hrs pushing>complete exhaustion>C-section.

FWIW- my second delivery was a perfect unmedicated VBAC in 6 hours.

I wish the same for all of you mamas

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#5 of 26 Old 09-10-2010, 12:47 PM

Lyss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdirks View Post
I had a horrible labor/birth experience.
I'm so sorry mama. That really is a horrible experience. I hope this one is wonderful and healing for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
FWIW- my second delivery was a perfect unmedicated VBAC in 6 hours.
That is so encouraging to hear!!

My first labor wasn't horrible, but I ended up with the one midwife in the group that I couldn't stand (it was her ONLY day on call in like a 2-week period. Couldn't believe my bad luck.) So there was a lot of fighting and pressure for interventions that I didn't want, and I ended up with an epi after about 30 hours (after the midwife told me I HAD to get back in the bed so she could check me ), and a c/s shortly after for FTP (my water had broken and there was mec, so I was officially "out of time".)

This time I'm having a HBAC with a wonderful midwife. I will be at home where I'm comfortable, with ONLY people I like around me. I am positive it will make a huge difference.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#6 of 26 Old 09-10-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyss View Post
It probably does no good to go back and think about it.... I hope this time everything is perfect. Although that doesn't fix anything.
I think it's important to visit our past experiences. If you expected your birth to go one way and it went in the total opposite direction, it's pretty tramautic. We are allowed to mourn the loss of the birth experience we wanted. "You have a healthy baby, that's all that matters," is a statement. Our experiences matter to us, and that's okay. No one should be made to feel like a bad mother for being upset about what did or didn't happen. Hdirks, I hope that the staff and the world at large showed sensitivity toward you and your feelings about what happened. I'm so very sorry, I haven't heard many experiences bad to that degree.

I think that we have to process our past births, because I really do believe that they can hold us back in our future ones if we don't.

My first labor was very long, and ended in c/s. It was an awful experience. My second labor was much longer and it was painful, but it was awesome, and my daughter's birth was peaceful and wonderful. It was incredibly healing for me.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#7 of 26 Old 09-10-2010, 05:44 PM

I also think it is good to talk about your labor and read about others...I wish I would have taken the time to read more before and after my DD...although part of me was afraid to read the horror stories.

My labor was 12 hours, with 6 hours of pushing, my midwife was getting to the point that she thought I might need to transfer, which concerned me...and I said I could do it (DD wasn't showing signs of distress). I ended up needing an episotomy to get her out, but much prefered that to a transfer (unless of course it was absolutely necessary). Looking back it didn't seem like 12 hours, and looking at other labors it doesn't seem that long, I guess the 6 hours of pushing is what she was concerned about. But DD was handling it fine...the only moment of concern was when the assistant couldn't get her heartbeat, but my midwife took the doppler and found it right away and perfectly normal. I'm just curious how things might have been different if I was in the hospital....my mom also thought I should have been moving around more...but I really don't remember what I did for that 12 hours. I think we are going to the birth center this time (with a new midwife, our first moved away)...I didn't have anyone come get my dogs and they were kind of upset with being away from me (they get that way anyways) and especially with the way I was acting. This time my MIL/FIL can come watch DD and the dogs in their own home and we can go have a great labor without me being concerned about my kids (fur and DD) , plus they have a lovely tub and I have thought about doing a water birth this time

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#8 of 26 Old 09-10-2010, 07:37 PM

both my labours were okay. ( 10 hrs and 5hrs start to finish) I feel really bad for mamas who have bad births. I think it is really good to know the things that can go worng and how other women delt with things. but they are all so different.

I hope if anyone needs healing from their births before this round of babies comes they can find it. wrting can be very theraputic

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#9 of 26 Old 09-10-2010, 08:02 PM

I recommend anyone who hasn't already, read "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth."

It includes first hand birth stories that end on rather positive notes. They are all across the board as far as what can happen in a birth and they really gave me a lot of confidence that despite what "strange" thing that might happen in my birth, it would be something natural, and I would be able to handle it.

I am so sorry to hear many of you had negative birth experiences, it is a difficult thing to do and so many things can be out of our control.

I had a very positive hospital birth after walking around for a week 5 cm dilated and 90% effaced with no contractions. DD was born 7 hrs after my contractions started, just 3 hrs after arriving at the hospital and after only 15 minutes of pushing. I feel very lucky that I had such a positive experience and hope my next one goes as well as I am planning a home birth.

Good luck to all of you who had difficult experiences to recover from, my only advice is to have a positive mindset towards your upcoming labor and to know that each one is different.
#10 of 26 Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily_Lawrence View Post

It includes first hand birth stories that end on rather positive notes. They are all across the board as far as what can happen in a birth and they really gave me a lot of confidence that despite what "strange" thing that might happen in my birth, it would be something natural, and I would be able to handle it.
I absolutely agree. I honestly think that it was a big part of DS's birth being so successful. By the time I finished the book, I felt so completely at ease with the idea of giving birth, no matter what happened.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#11 of 26 Old 09-11-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
I just read it!! I'm definitely going to get it from the library again closer to my due date, because it really is great to read all of those labor stories and see how different it can be for everyone.

#12 of 26 Old 09-11-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Just read this as well and also plan on reading it again as my due date gets a bit closer.

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
#13 of 26 Old 09-11-2010, 03:09 PM

FWIW, I've read that prolonged, unproductive labor is an indicator of mal-positioning. With ds, I labored unproductively for 24 hours...then I remembered reading that and we used a rebozo method of turning a posterior baby (I have a tendency to carry posterior) and he turned! I felt it. The contractions stopped, I went to sleep (about 6pm) and woke up at midnight to the feeling of my water breaking. First contraction came at 1am, ds was born at 1:11 am... I think he just needed a little help getting turned around. FWIW

Christian, homeschooling, military wife.  luxlove.gif

Mommy to 5 wonderful girls and a super baby boy.  

Expecting another sweet energy.gif late August. 

#14 of 26 Old 09-11-2010, 05:09 PM

my first labor went relatively well, but I'm still dealing with pain and anger about how I was treated by the nurse and doctor on call. neither were supportive of my having a natural birth, and they bullied me around a lot. I wasn't allowed off continuous monitoring, wasn't allowed to move into different positions (and considering DD needed to change position, this really prolonged my labor), and was threatened with both c-section and vacuum extraction at different points, without any good reason.
I'm really hoping for a homebirth this time, and I know now that if I'm being pushed around I'm just going to ask the midwife to go into the other room and check on me periodically.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#15 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 04:18 PM

My first labor was not horrible but not great, as i was induced and right after had contractions which became very strong and i didn't really have a break between and all of the nurses were telling me I was not in labor and would not have the baby until the next day. I was in labor for 12 hours and pushed for 2, the doc (which was not my OB because she was away) didn't show until I yelled that I had to push and the nurse checked and I was fully dilated. My water wasn't broken yet so they broke it and my dd was born facing sideways 2 hours later. I almost had a c/s. Now I know so much more and feel that with a midwife or doula maybe I would have been able to use different positions to turn dd and ease the pain. But dd was born healthy and she is 5 now, and I don't feel angry anymore, but I do feel frustrated as I cannot give birth in my town, I have to go to the next, which is 45 minutes away, when I would like to have a homebirth or even go to a birth centre the closest being 4.5 hours away. So I have to go to the same hospital, but hopefully this time my OB will be here, and I will be more in control and have a doula. But who knows. Good luck to everyone!

Wife to DH mom to DD(09-05) and DD(03/27).joy.gif

#16 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 07:29 PM

Hugs to all you mamas with difficult birth experiences out there! Luckily I had a super positive & easy hospital birth experience with DD. I woke up in the morning with contractions, got to the hospital around 9am, got the epidural (I know, plz don't flame me, it was right decision for me!) & took 3 naps, started pushing around 4pm for about 1 hour then DD popped out! She was 40 weeks & 3 days. I hear for 2nd babies labors tend to progress faster than 1st, so hopefully that holds true for us. But I also know I just have to be ready for what the baby has planned for us this time. Hopefully next birthing experience will be a positive one for all of us!

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#17 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Mommas, for all your stories. Jacksonmom, I hope something like that is the case. I hate to remember how dejected and exhausted I was after those all-night woeful contractions that did nothing to help DD out. Ultimately, I truly believe that induction-c-section saved her life, and , that if I had labored at home for days, we wouldn't have found out how tight the cord was around her neck.

I just pray this time is different. Clearly from the shape of DS's head, he had descended, but the OB didn't support VBAC and I was too scared to try labor again. Hopefully this one, our last one, will be a healing experience.

I did put Ina May's Guide on hold at the library. Thanks for the suggestion!
#18 of 26 Old 09-13-2010, 10:03 AM

I am so glad someone has brought this subject up...I am terrified...

My first labor was pretty long and painful. Meconium, induction (I was only in labor slightly) no epdidural, did get Stadol which is horrible, 13 hours, 3 hrs of pushing. But I did it. But I hated the experience. 13 months later, I became pregnant with number two. I was terrified of repeating the experience and the hospital scared me, so I got ready for a homebirth with a midwife. I read lots, watched videos, learned breathing techniques.
My labor at home was just horrible. I tried and tried to get him out for about a day, a full 20-21 hrs at home. I hated it. My midwife yelled at me for not trying hard enough and was disgusted with me and I spent a good part of the day screaming and crying and telling everyone I needed help. Even though I was in my own home I felt a loss of dignity moreso than in the hospital. I was finally transferred when the midwife gave in and said she couldn't make me do something, "I didn't want to do" and in the hospital no doctor was there, it was around 11 pm (different hospital than first birth)...and they spent awhile trying to get me comfortable....I was given Stadol, it did absolutely nothing...I was given it through IV and a shot...didn't touch me or even make me high as some people say...I just screamed and screamed. Finally an epidural. It still did nothing. Absolutely nothing. A doctor was called and came and gave me a C-section and I was so incredibly relieved. I had been fully dilated for about 10 hrs with no baby...he turned out to be 10 pounds, due to my weight gain I think, and had never even really entered the birth canal. Crazy! Afterward the midwife apologized and said if I ever get preg again and it turns out to be a big baby again I should have another C-section. I am seeing the dr who was called in to do the section now during this pregnancy, because I though the was pretty good. He gave me the option of a scheduled C-section or a possible VBAC, we're playing it by ear now.

My first baby was 7 pounds even. I am trying to watch my weight this time and not eat too much. But I am terrified. I am already having labor nightmares. I don't want to be in pain. I don't want to do birth natural birth again. But I am afraid the pain relief won't help me again....part of me is like, maybe it's just easier to do another C-section...which I wasn't scared of after 27 hrs of excruciating labor at 3am...but a scheduled section where I'm hyper aware and not in pain scares me too. I have so much anxiety already. This pregnancy was a surprise as we were trying to avoid and I cannot believe after my labors I am pregnant again. I feel like the only way out is like me being marched off to my death. I'm sorry this is so long, I just needed to get this all out.

And yes, the births were horrible, but I was happy when they came out and it was so worth it! The trauma of the births don't bother me day to day really. It's only like now, when I realize I must do it again....

Mom to a girl 7.17.07 and a boy 5.30.09 Wife to husband 8.12.81 (ha) New baby boy 3.09.11 stillheart.gif
nocirc.gifribbonlime.gifslingboy.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gif
#19 of 26 Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babina's Mommy View Post
I can't believe your midwife acted like that.

#20 of 26 Old 09-14-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildnewmamma View Post
...My labor was 12 hours, with 6 hours of pushing, my midwife was getting to the point that she thought I might need to transfer, which concerned me...and I said I could do it (DD wasn't showing signs of distress). I ended up needing an episotomy to get her out, but much prefered that to a transfer (unless of course it was absolutely necessary). ...
A friend of mine pushed a long time at home, and then transferred. When she got to the hospital, they said that from all the pushing her birth canal was somewhat swollen. They gave her something to rest for an hour or 2, and after that the swelling had gone down and she was able to push her son out. I was really impressed with that hospital not just saying she had to have a c-section.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#21 of 26 Old 09-14-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babina's Mommy View Post

My first labor was pretty long and painful. Meconium, induction (I was only in labor slightly) no epdidural, did get Stadol which is horrible, 13 hours, 3 hrs of pushing. But I did it. But I hated the experience. 13 months later, I became pregnant with number two. I was terrified of repeating the experience and the hospital scared me, so I got ready for a homebirth with a midwife. I read lots, watched videos, learned breathing techniques.
My labor at home was just horrible. I tried and tried to get him out for about a day, a full 20-21 hrs at home. I hated it. My midwife yelled at me for not trying hard enough and was disgusted with me and I spent a good part of the day screaming and crying and telling everyone I needed help. Even though I was in my own home I felt a loss of dignity moreso than in the hospital. I was finally transferred when the midwife gave in and said she couldn't make me do something, "I didn't want to do" and in the hospital no doctor was there, it was around 11 pm (different hospital than first birth)...and they spent awhile trying to get me comfortable....I was given Stadol, it did absolutely nothing...I was given it through IV and a shot...didn't touch me or even make me high as some people say...I just screamed and screamed. Finally an epidural. It still did nothing. Absolutely nothing. A doctor was called and came and gave me a C-section and I was so incredibly relieved. I had been fully dilated for about 10 hrs with no baby...he turned out to be 10 pounds, due to my weight gain I think, and had never even really entered the birth canal. Crazy! Afterward the midwife apologized and said if I ever get preg again and it turns out to be a big baby again I should have another C-section. I am seeing the dr who was called in to do the section now during this pregnancy, because I though the was pretty good. He gave me the option of a scheduled C-section or a possible VBAC, we're playing it by ear now.

My first baby was 7 pounds even. I am trying to watch my weight this time and not eat too much. But I am terrified. I am already having labor nightmares. I don't want to be in pain. I don't want to do birth natural birth again. But I am afraid the pain relief won't help me again....part of me is like, maybe it's just easier to do another C-section...which I wasn't scared of after 27 hrs of excruciating labor at 3am...but a scheduled section where I'm hyper aware and not in pain scares me too. I have so much anxiety already. This pregnancy was a surprise as we were trying to avoid and I cannot believe after my labors I am pregnant again. I feel like the only way out is like me being marched off to my death. I'm sorry this is so long, I just needed to get this all out.

And yes, the births were horrible, but I was happy when they came out and it was so worth it! The trauma of the births don't bother me day to day really. It's only like now, when I realize I must do it again....
Did you have a doula at either of these births?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#22 of 26 Old 09-14-2010, 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=Babina's Mommy;15837186
he turned out to be 10 pounds, due to my weight gain I think,[/QUOTE]

had they done a GD test? because more weight gain and a big baby are often due to undiagnosed GD. and you can do it this time it sounds like your biggest problem ended up being the unsupportive midwife making everything worse.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#23 of 26 Old 09-14-2010, 05:06 PM

I am totally scared of labor, and am very heavily leaning toward a repeat c-section out of fear!

With my DD I had pretty high blood pressure. My water broke at 12:15am when I was 37 w 2 d. No contractions yet, I was excited. I called my midwife, she encouraged me to stay home until contractions were 5-7 minutes apart. Contractions started within 20 minutes of water breaking. At 4am things were picking up and getting painful. I called my midwife, she told me contractions were still too far apart, stay home (hospital is 40ish minutes away). At 7am I couldn't wait any longer, I called my midwife and told her I was heading to the hospital. The contractions eased up a bit in the car, thank God. When I checked-in to the hospital I was 5 cm and guess what...that wasn't a head the midwife felt...my DD turned breech after my water broke - YAY. Now I had to wait for a free operating room, as breech babies must be born via c-section in my state. Contractions are picking up, pain is AWFUL. I ask for pain medication since this is all leading up to a c-section, they say it's too late for that, at this point I have to wait for the operating room. At 10:15ish I am wheeled into the operating room at 9cm and feeling ready to push. I get the spinal and c-section and my DD is delivered at 10:24am. She had the cord wrapped around her neck three times, but she was perfectly healthy and beautiful. I was so exhausted I fell asleep on the operating table while they finished up after taking DD to be weighed, etc with DH. Maybe it was more painful because she was breech? They say I'm an excellent candidate for VBAC, but I'm too scared to go through that pain again...even more so if it ends up in another c-section anyway. It was sooo much worse than I ever expected - if they had told me that the delivery was going to kill me, but the baby would be OK I would have said fine...whatever it takes to end this pain!!!
#24 of 26 Old 09-14-2010, 07:26 PM

I can relate to you AJewelz, absolutely!

I had a doula at the second birth. She worked for the midwife. She was good and helpful but still couldn't help me in the end.

I had the GD test during pregnancy, the results were fine. Baby's sugar was tested after birth because he was big, also fine.

I gained 50 pounds with him, and he was 10 pounds. My first, I gained only 21 and she was 7 pounds....so I definitely saw trend there. Big babies run on my hub's side, but not mine. I am kind of small, so even just carrying a big baby toward the end of my pregnancy gave me that separated pelvis condition, which was very painful. Still he had been estimated at weighing about two pounds less than he did.

I am guessing that after 10 hrs of being fully dilated, there's a good chance he may have never come out on his own. I didn't want to wait around to see. Like AJewelz I thought it may kill me, but I didn't care. The pain was horrible, and worse than my daughter's labor and that labor I had Pitocin and this was worse. Everybody was kind of acting like I was overreacting and to calm down. Later I was told I was probably in more pain than usual due to my body trying to get him out, him trying to get out, and not being able to. They said his head wasn't coneheaded in the slightest. Yet the whole time the midwife kept assuring me he was like a minute from coming out. And I felt it was just wrong. The doula was good at just reassuring me, and not being judgemental...

I know this is a natural parenting community, and natural birthing is encouraged and I fully support it and I live many aspects of my life as natural as possible...but I have come to the realization that I do not birth well...I know some wouldn't want me to say something like this, but I am okay with it...I am known among people as the girl with horrible labors...these are actually very shortened versions of my birth stories, there was a lot more to both, so scary that other pregnant women have told me they have to stop reading my birth story halfway through because it was freaking them out. All I do want in the end is a healthy baby and a healthy me, so I can take care of my family, and this time to not have a traumatic birth...my midwife was upset after my section she mentioned how she wanted to erase my being traumatized by the first birth at the hospital by having the homebirth and there I went and had a section and was probably traumatized. I had to admit that the C-section did not traumatize me but I did not tell her how she actually did. I recovered good from the section no real issues to speak of but I know each time is different that's why this time I'm just hoping for the best either way....

Mom to a girl 7.17.07 and a boy 5.30.09 Wife to husband 8.12.81 (ha) New baby boy 3.09.11 stillheart.gif
nocirc.gifribbonlime.gifslingboy.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gif
#25 of 26 Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 PM

It really makes me furious when people act like someone in pain is faking it or exaggerating it or overreacting.

I had horrible sciatica strike me suddenly one Thursday afternoon about a week before DS was born. I was lucky to have the phone nearby, so I could call DH to come home from work (an hour away) because I could not move at all. If I tried, the pain would shoot through my nervous system so bad that i would collapse. I guess the signals to control my limbs were being blocked by the pain.

Anyway, it got gradually better. By the time the midwife was there 2 days later, I was able to walk to the bathroom myself. (2 days earlier I had to be carried and the whole experience was excruciatingly painful.) She didn't believe that the pain and failing muscles had been as bad as I said it was. I heard her whispering to my husband not to baby me -- to make me do things myself. Grrrr!

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#26 of 26 Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

That is so awful. At both of my births, I had a frowny face next to my name on the board at the nurse's station. I am an absolute pit bull about what I want. There were some nice nurses there, and my OB was wonderful, going out of his way to try to help me get comfortable after, but most of them just wanted to do things their way.

Reading this has really reassured me. I think if the labor is unbearable like my first, then I am going to ask for a c-section. I'm sure my son would have just fallen out if they hadn't wheeled me into surgery just then. What a difference between their two labors.

I understand labor is painful, but to go through 3 nights of contractions you can't sleep through in a row, and then have that horrible pain that has you vomiting bile for hours and hours, and then find out you're still 3cm - I will never go through that again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page