Anybody else already thinking about the next pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-11-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two daughters, ages 9 and 8 (in a few days), they are 15 months apart. They are super close and I love having two that are able to play as peers, have the same friends, be best friends, all that kind of stuff, so I plan on having another baby pretty soon after this one so this one will have a playmate, too. I'm thinking of spacing them maybe 16-17 months apart, if possible.

Of course it was kind of hard the first few months with two babies, and being pregnant with a baby around is rough, too. But I feel like that passes quickly and the long term benefits are totally worth it.

Just wanting to see if anyone else is already planning on taking that plunge, sometimes I think I must be crazy to want to do it again!

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#2 of 26 Old 09-11-2010, 08:04 PM

I'm planning on 3 (including this one) in the next 6ish years. I want to be done by 40

My sister and I are 14 months apart and my mom (30+ years later) is still talking about how hard it was. She says it really was having two babies and that it got much better once my sister turned one.

We did our first baby shopping today and that made me think about this one and the next ones

Mama to DD-9, DSS-11, happily married and living with 1dog, 1 cat, 7 chickens, and 2 ducks....expecting 03/11
#3 of 26 Old 09-11-2010, 08:42 PM

No way. I do want 4 and this one will make 3 but there is so much going on around here I barely have time to think about this one! About the only time I do is when I am on here and see mommies having their third, I am reminded that will be me someday. I want to space out even more next time though.

Mama Lea, grateful wife to and mom to Big Boy 10/04/06 and my little Sunshine boy 10/06/08 and surprise joining the bed sometime in March 2011
#4 of 26 Old 09-11-2010, 10:03 PM

We're only planning on two, and this is the second. after these two are older we might foster and/or adopt more though. we're young and I think we'll have energy for more later on.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#5 of 26 Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 PM

This was a really happy surprise, but no. We're done after this baby.
#6 of 26 Old 09-11-2010, 10:30 PM

yeah, I'm thinking there is nooo way I could go through another 1st trimester again!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#7 of 26 Old 09-11-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post
yeah, I'm thinking there is nooo way I could go through another 1st trimester again!
Same here. Pre-babies I wasn't sure how many I wanted, but I am done after this one!
#8 of 26 Old 09-11-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaneymom View Post
This was a really happy surprise, but no. We're done after this baby.
Same.

IF we were to change our minds, it wouldn't be until sometime after this baby's third birthday, minimum.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#9 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 12:49 AM

This one was a total surprise. Before this pregnancy I thought maybe I would have 5 babies total... BUT mothering a 5, 3 and 13 month old while being pregnant is making me CRAZY. Really. I feel like I'm losing it. I don't EVER want to go through these pregnancy hormones again.

It doesn't help that my 13 month old went from being the happiest baby EVER (except at night.) To being a crying whining terror who follows me around like a stray puppy whining for GOODNESS knows what... I pick him up. He whines. I put him down. He cries. I give him a drink. He throws it at me. Then whines. I give him food. He throws it at the dogs. Then cries. I give him a toy. He throws it at his sisters... And (you guessed it) cries! Then I start ALL over again.

SOOOOO to answer your question. NO! Everytime I think about being pregnant again. <Insert PANIC feeling> I just CAN'T. This is it. I never understood when people would say "we're done!" I always thought I would always want to be pregnant again. But now I know that if anymore babies are coming into this family... it will be through adoption!

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
#10 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 01:10 AM

Grayson's Mom, have you considered teething? My baby gets so cranky and whiney when he's teething! The only thing that has helped is hylands teething tablets and for a little while an amber necklace worked well. If i could find the darn thing I'd try it again! Mines been driving me crazy lately getting those 2 year molars in.

Sorry to hijack.

Mama Lea, grateful wife to and mom to Big Boy 10/04/06 and my little Sunshine boy 10/06/08 and surprise joining the bed sometime in March 2011
#11 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 09:30 AM

No, I'm thinking this baby will make an awesome "only child." I reserve the right to change my mind later, of course.
Posted via Mobile Device

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#12 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 09:56 AM

Dh is already talking about #8. Ask me when this baby is 10-12 months how I feel.

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#13 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 AM

Nope not at all; this baby will make three and we'll be done
#14 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 01:03 PM

Yeah, we are also done after this one. I thought I might be a bit more nostalgic about this being the last pregnancy, but I am NOT AT ALL!

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#15 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Really? NOBODY here is planning any more kids?

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#16 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 04:09 PM

Aww no, I'm sure there are lots of ladies here who want bigger families. I mean truly, I want more than three, but imagining going through all that right now is a bit more than I can handle.

I told my husband earlier in this pregnancy that he was in luck (he's unsure about more than 3) because I thought I was done after this, I couldn't do it again. He told me that I was full of it, because in a couple of years I'd forget how rough it was, and I'd be all hot to trot about a new squishy baby because this lo would be turning into a little kid. He's probably right.

I have a friend who wants to have "sets" like you. She has the first 2, and is waiting a little longer to go for the next two and then be done. I do see the merits of that type of child spacing. But I feel like my window is closing. I will be 31 when this baby is born, and I don't think I really want to be having babies after 35. So I have maybe one more in me, kwim?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#17 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 07:05 PM

OMG DH and I were just talking about this, too. I am sooooooo done with being pregnant. I just can't take it any more! For us 2 grownups + 2 little ones = perfecto!

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#18 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 09:29 PM

I'm 37, and this pregnancy was unexpected. I can't imagine ever going through this again, and have been asking DH to get a vasectomy for 2 years.

That said, my first two are 23 months apart and are the best of friends. This one will be 5.5 years younger than DD and 3.5 years younger than DS. I can imagine if our finances pick up a little and the irreversible maternal amnesia kicks in after the m/s and birth and sleep deprivation that I would want one close to this baby, too.

But mostly, I think we're done. I thought we were done 3 years ago.
#19 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 10:27 PM

I'm hoping to have another in 2/3 years after this one is born. My sister and I are 2.5 years apart and that was good for us.

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#20 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 10:30 PM

i can't say for sure that we are done although the past few weeks that i've been sick have made me think that i'm done

honestly, i don't think i'll know until this little one is at least 6 months old. my first two kids are 21 months apart and this one will be 24 months after my second. so, three kids in just under four years is tough work!!

but i'm not ready to completely close the door yet. we've said we'd like 3 or 4, so who knows? i know with the two kids that it felt like someone was missing in my family. maybe after the third, we'll feel complete?!

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#21 of 26 Old 09-12-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post
I'm hoping to have another in 2/3 years after this one is born. My sister and I are 2.5 years apart and that was good for us.
My sister and I are 2.5 years apart and we made our parents miserable with our fighting! But I had a friend with a sister with the same age gap and they were best friends. So I have grown up to the theory that any age gap works for some siblings and doesn't work for others. Go with your gut.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
#22 of 26 Old 09-13-2010, 10:30 AM

We always said two, maybe three, and this is number 3. So we've without a doubt reached the end of our baby-making years. I'm also going to be 38 when this baby is born, and I can't imagine going through this again when I'm any older than this (especially since I'll have a little child to take care of.) As soon as baby is safely here, I'm going to talk to my dh about a vasectomy.
#23 of 26 Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 AM

This baby was a surprise, but DH and I had been planning to TTC this winter anyway. DD and the new LO will be 19-20 months apart, and I think this may be all we can handle for awhile. *If* we decide to have another one, I think we'll be waiting until DD is at least four (and this baby nearly 2.5) to try again.

Mom to DSS D (7) , DD Elizabeth (8/09) , and expecting DC3 3/30/11
#24 of 26 Old 09-13-2010, 11:14 AM

My husband and I were just talking about this on a walk this morning. I think it would be nice to have children very close in age, but I don't think it will be something that we decide for sure until we see what having a little one is like for a few months. This is our first, so it's all new for us. My morning sickness has been very rough, but I wouldn't base my decision on that at all. I imagine we won't wait more than a year or two to have our second though.
#25 of 26 Old 09-13-2010, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzysmom View Post
This baby was a surprise, but DH and I had been planning to TTC this winter anyway. DD and the new LO will be 19-20 months apart, and I think this may be all we can handle for awhile. *If* we decide to have another one, I think we'll be waiting until DD is at least four (and this baby nearly 2.5) to try again.
I'm in a simlar boat. This pregnancy wasn't so much of a surprise, but we decided to not be so careful a few months sooner than we originally planned to TTC. DS and the new LO will be 22-23 months apart. We have always pretty much said 2 MAYBE 3 and if we decide to go for a 3rd I'd like to wait until DS is around 5 or so (in school, etc).

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#26 of 26 Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM

This is the last pregnancy for me. Hopefully everything goes well, but if not, we'll have an only. My pregnancies have both been hard- though this one is better faster than the last. I can't imagine going through it again, and have never wanted more than two children.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page