Lotus Birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-17-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone having/considering a Lotus birth? Would you mind sharing your reasons why or why not?

We're thinking about it. I asked DH what he thought last night and his first reaction was no way, but then he asked what the benefits/reasons are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 09-17-2010, 01:32 PM

I'd love to have one this time...I wanted one with my son but the placenta fell in the toilet and I was not motivated to clean it. I'm all for being as natural and non-violent as possible, which is why it's so attractive to me. It also, from what I hear, is very beneficial for the baby:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...g2.html?cat=25

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=587578

http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/debbiemom/lotusbirth.html
#3 of 13 Old 09-17-2010, 01:49 PM

I just looked up Lotus birth and read a number of articles about it, from the pro-lotus birth perspective. I have to say that I find their arguments less than compelling... there seems to be no actual evidence available that supports it, and many of the claims made seem really dubious to me.

Like look at this: "These intact Lotus babies lose no energy just trying to stabilize their systems in the early postpartum hours and this shows on all levels (relaxation, bountiful healthy weight gain, core muscle strength, fine & gross motor skills, and alert observation of the world around them). This could be called 'accelerated development' but that would be a misnomer: Lotus babies are simply undiminished by stress in a very stressful culture.
Their greater capacity for relaxation, compared to nurslings who had early cord severance and placenta loss, is apparently a metabolic foundation for life, and makes teething and other developmental stages much less distressful. It could be concluded that Lotus birth gives babies lifelong coping skills."

Sounds way too good to be true, if you ask me. A lot of them are unprovable altogether, which kind of sets off alarm bells for me.

That's not to say that there aren't real benefits associated with leaving the cord and placenta attached, I simply can't determine if there are based on the practice's proponents, who sound kind of like snake-oil salesmen to me. Basically, I'm skeptical.

My one problem with the practice itself (as opposed to the arguments in favor of it), is the part about rubbing the placenta with oils and herbs and salts to keep it from decaying... It seems to me that once it gets to the point where it needs such things, it probably shouldn't be attached to your baby! I wouldn't want a rotting piece of meat (which it is, at this point) attached to my kid. And while they cite the practices of chimpanzees as the big reason lotus births should be done (this argument has its own problems which I think are kind of self evident), I don't think you will be finding chimps rubbing salt on the decaying placenta after a few days.

Anyway, from what I read I can't see any reason to think this is a dangerous practice, and if it sounds right to you, then go for it. But I definitely think any claims about its supposed benefits need to be taken with several grains of salt.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#4 of 13 Old 09-17-2010, 02:53 PM

I personally will be waiting to cut and clamp the cord, but more like for an hour than for several days. my opinion is that once the blood has stopped flowing there's no particular reason to leave it attached. that said, if you wait an hour or so to cut the cord, it doesn't need clamped, and that's what the majority or animals seem to do. but if you want to leave the placenta attached, then I don't see a reason it would be harmful either.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#5 of 13 Old 09-17-2010, 07:17 PM

Once those vessels have closed off in the baby I don't see much reason to keep it attached. I think i'd rather honor the life giving properties of that organ by planting a tree, baby doesn't need it anymore. It's like the very beginning of growing up. But to each his own!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#6 of 13 Old 09-17-2010, 07:54 PM

we will be delaying if possible but persoanlly the idea is a bit icky to me. plus I'm wanting to encaspulate the placenta for myself ( ppd and health reasons)

To each their own. i don't know any one who has ever done this but i have heard about it before

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#7 of 13 Old 09-18-2010, 05:47 PM

I thought/read about it with my first babe along with doing other interesting things with the placenta. But after actually SEEING the placenta, I don't want it hanging around any longer than necessary. I also believe the benefits end once blood flow stops.

I did have a somewhat difficult post-partum period for about 4 weeks after the birth and have also thought about encapsulating it, but hopefully I could keep it in some opaque container until I gave it to the encapsulating person.
#8 of 13 Old 09-20-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_mandala View Post
I'd love to have one this time...I wanted one with my son but the placenta fell in the toilet and I was not motivated to clean it. I'm all for being as natural and non-violent as possible, which is why it's so attractive to me. It also, from what I hear, is very beneficial for the baby:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...g2.html?cat=25

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=587578

http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/debbiemom/lotusbirth.html
Thanks for the links! I haven't read all of them yet, but found the first one helpful, and shared with my husband.

Thanks for sharing thoughts/opinions everyone. I still feel pretty on the fence, but I have time to think about it, and will ask my midwife about it at my next appt. too.
#9 of 13 Old 09-20-2010, 03:59 PM

I\ve never heard about this before, so it sounds a little weird to me. But if it works for you that's good. That would be sort of annoying to whave to carry around with your baby for a couple of days, especially if your feeling weak. If you do decide to do it, write about it later, I would be interested in hearing about how it goes!

Wife to DH mom to DD(09-05) and DD(03/27).joy.gif

#10 of 13 Old 09-20-2010, 04:22 PM

We delay cord cutting until the cord is white and limp - no bleeding at all. Then, we encapsulate the placenta. Yay for hormones!

Christian, homeschooling, military wife.  luxlove.gif

Mommy to 5 wonderful girls and a super baby boy.  

Expecting another sweet energy.gif late August. 

#11 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 PM

I like to wait until I've birthed the placenta and it's completely stopped pulsing, but after that I really think the baby is done with it.

I'm also for encapsulation.

I'm also for being focused on the baby and nothing else.

Mama to DD-9, DSS-11, happily married and living with 1dog, 1 cat, 7 chickens, and 2 ducks....expecting 03/11
#12 of 13 Old 09-24-2010, 11:56 PM

I am considering doing this too. I didn't the first time. I'm not sure if its too different than waiting several hours, physiologically or psychologically ( I have seen quiet babies suddenly cry when their still thick cords were clamped and cut). However, my motivation is to keep visitors to a minimum and baby-holders to about none during the first few days postpartum. Last birth, my friends and family were well-intended, but didn't really follow my wishes for the first few days. Anyway, I am still unsure about all the details, but I'm thinking of trying it. I'm due in Jan...you?

Partner to one: '08  Mama to three: '08, '11, '13  homebirth.jpgintactlact.gif
#13 of 13 Old 09-25-2010, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Emily, I'm due in early March. That's part of the reason we're considering it too. Please post if you do decide to-I'd love to hear your experience.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page