Mothering Forum banner

Weekly chat for Sep 20th-27th

2K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  katroshka 
#1 ·
Whew, I can't keep up with all those pages

Welcome to the new week! And hey, we already missed Monday-can't beat that!

See less See more
#27 ·
I kind of miss the early movement. I get it every once and a while. My mw thinks my placenta is anterior. I certainly felt more regular movement by now with my second.

#28 ·
At my appointment today I weighed about 10 pounds more than I did pre-pregnancy, but I had my shoes on, and I joked with my dh that two of those pounds are in my boobs.
I'm trying not to worry too much about weight gain, as I've always managed to lose it when I start nursing.

They also did a super quick ultrasound and ventured a gender guess. I'm wondering if any of you agree. Here is the pic. They said girl, what do you think?

#29 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
At my appointment today I weighed about 10 pounds more than I did pre-pregnancy, but I had my shoes on, and I joked with my dh that two of those pounds are in my boobs.
I'm trying not to worry too much about weight gain, as I've always managed to lose it when I start nursing.

They also did a super quick ultrasound and ventured a gender guess. I'm wondering if any of you agree. Here is the pic. They said girl, what do you think?
i can't tell, but the feet sure are cute!

#30 ·
I was reading this and thinking that 10 pounds at this point does not sound that bad!

I am HAPPY that I have gained about 10 pounds at this point and not more.

I can't remember what I gained at this point with my first but it was more then 10 and I gained 56 total. I was and am again starting out overweight a bit so I don't really think I needed the full 56. I fairly easily lost 40 of it so my current goal is to try to keep it at 40, but not stressing if I don't.

My first appointment the MW said something about 10 pounds first trimester and 1 pound a week after being good...

- Also remember in first trimester you blood supply has increased a lot and that adds a couple pounds - boobs grow etc. etc.

I say, Relax, try to eat fairly decently etc. and then just go with it.

#32 ·
Ugh. I've already gained more than 10. But the last couple weeks it seems to be slowing down.
My uterus was also up to my belly button already at 10 weeks, so I think my body just did a lot of growing right away.

Had another midwife appointment yesterday. She worked on my hips and back a little (she's also a massage therapist!) and I feel SOOOOOOOOOO much better today. I was really having a hard time walking the last couple days I was in so much pain (from overdoing it on the yard work and house renovations.
)

#33 ·
what do you think the chances are that the tapping i felt earlier today was baby kicks? sure felt like it, but so hard to believe at less than 14 weeks. a head scratcher for sure.

my son's slurping is driving completely up the wall. something possessed me to suggest that he drink his hot chocolate with a japanese soup spoon, and i think it may have been the worst decision of my whole life
ack!! i've been wondering when his food noises would stop being cute.

#34 ·
OOF. I think I've caught a cold from my husband. Or else I'm having really terrible seasonal allergies. Soo much sinus pressure and stuffiness! I had to pee at 4 am last night and couldn't get back to sleep for well over an hour and a half. And I have 8 performances of the play to go.

I got up out of bed to go lie on the couch so I wouldn't sniffle and blow my nose too loudly around my sleeping husband. He sort of woke up and said, half-asleep, "Would you like me to tell you a story? Would you like me to tell you the story of the sleepy slipper who goes to the Sealy mattress showroom?" I had to laugh, as miserable as I felt. I think his parenting instincts are kicking in.

#35 ·
Haha, Neuromancer, your story about your husband is hilarious. Mine is always asking me if I'm ok, especially when I get up in the night to pee, he wakes right up and asks. I'm like, yes, I'm fine, I just have to pee ALL THE TIME!

My grandma told me that my grandpa would, in his sleep, try to hold her down in bed whenever she got up to pee, something he would only do while she was pregnant. They're definitely going through their own version of the pregnancy. Now if I could just get dh to read those baby/ childbirth books...

#36 ·
Just over 14 weeks and 1 day here, and sadly it has been a rough couple of weeks. The vomiting had slowed down for a bit (only once a day) and now I am back up to 2-3 times a day, and it is totally random and SUDDEN. I barely make it to the bathroom. Eek.

I have my second midwife appointment on Tuesday and am anxious to see how much I weigh. I have the opposite problem - I seem to be losing weight. I don't own a scale but jumped on a friend's a couple weeks ago and I had lost a few pounds. I am nervous to see if I lost more since then, since I have been more sick.

Also, no appetite. I force myself to eat and it is always a chore to keep anything down. I am really trying to get my calories by drinking a lot more milk and juice, buying 2% milk instead of skim, eating a lot of meat and pasta when I can handle it, etc. I will talk to the midwife about it to see if she agrees with this or if I should come up with another way to gain some weight. For a few days (week 12 maybe?) I had the munchies late at night and I was so excited, but it didn't even last a week.

Overall, just trying to keep a positive attitude, but have been a bit down with feeling so sick lately. SO grateful that I am self-employed and can sleep as late as I need to.

Also - big changes coming our way. My husband and I live on a small sailboat, and an older couple just GAVE us their (fixer-upper) 45' sailboat. We will spend the next year or two fixing that one up and then move onto it when it is ready to go in the water! I am hoping we can get it in the water within a year, if not sooner. As soon as it goes in the water we will sell the boat we are on now and have that $$ to fix it up with. It is a gorgeous boat from such a fantastic couple, and I am so excited to have some real space to raise a family on.

In the meantime, I am re-teaching myself how to play guitar. I have read various things about the baby being able to hear by 13 weeks, and if that's true I have to wonder how very strange it is to listen to me playing and singing. I love playing and it relaxes me and makes me so happy, no matter how sick I feel!

#38 ·
Goof for you, too, for picking up the guitar again! I started learning to play the banjo in the months before the pregnancy and then was just so tired! I have to get back in the habit of practicing again now that I am in my second trimester.
Forty-five feet is a lot of boat! What a gift!
Neuromancer, your story made me giggle. I am grateful that my sweetie and I have separate rooms because I am such an insomniac even when not pregnant. I am sure he would have lost all patience with my incessant peeing those first few months.
Our wedding is in a week and he is out for his not-quite-a-bachelor party. He was supposed to call if he was going to spend the night, since there is an hour drive between our house and Eugene. I went to sleep pretty early, but now it is two thirty and I am wide awake, hoping he isn't going to try to drive home after a night of drinking. Dumb. We have a lot of work to get done tomorrow.

#39 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lousli View Post

yup i'm leaning girl! congrats!

well last night i finally felt a nice thud in the womb. 17 weeks tomorrow. any movement before was just a maybe. i do know my placenta is anterior.

#40 ·
Thanks for your guesses ladies! I haven't started adding ruffles to stuff yet, but I'm starting some longies that will end up ruffled if I find out that it is for sure a girl at my 19 week scan.

I'm starting my progesterone shots this week. Not especially looking forward to them, but you know, you do what you have to do.

#41 ·
Does anyone else have their Mothering pregnancy newsletter from last week (I think)? I'm trying to find the salmon sweet potato cake recipe that was linked in it, and I can't find it anywhere on the Mothering website.

#44 ·
I'm 14 weeks now. I had my first home visit with the midwife this morning. She's great. We heard the heartbeat with a brief Doppler scan and she likes what my fundus is doing.
I won't see her again until late November, but I'll have the 20 week anatomy scan in about 5 weeks and hope to learn the gender then. I'm going to skip the 15-18 week scan.

This weekend I started our registry. I really want to keep it slim, but it's fun thinking about baby stuff. Gotta do research on: cloth diapering with no washer/dryer on site, car seats, breast pumps, baby thermometers. Ugh.

My play closes Saturday. Can't wait!
Posted via Mobile Device

#45 ·
Neuromancer, we've always lived in apts with no w/d, and so I've always used disposables (I think it's kind of nasty to do cloth diapers at the laundromat). There's a service that's starting up in our area and I'm so excited! My diaper budget for one has always been ~ $40-50/month. I'm hoping that the service is comparable and we can go for it! I agree, though, it doesn't feel like there's a lot of choices when you don't have your own washer, and the newborn laundry situation gets sketchy here and there.

Lousli, that's so fun! We were on the fence re finding out, since we already have a girl and a boy that we didn't find out via u/s. I'd say girl, too.

I had my OB appt today at 15w5d. I really like my OB. She's like the 4th one I've had all these years, and I feel like she really listens to me and believes my concerns are valid. She doesn't rush me. I also think she's really capable. She said because my placenta previa is right over my previous c-section scar, there's a chance it won't clear, so I need to schedule an u/s with an OB that does high-risk u/s. I met her last appt, and I liked her a lot too. I had thought I would transfer to the midwives at their practice, but the midwives there don't do VBA2Cs yet. But I like the OBs so much, I'm comfortable that they're going to give me a fair shot if possible.

We're all sick and it's hotter here than it was all summer. Also, our kitchen drain suddenly stopped draining, and despite a steady stream of maintenance guys and plumbers in our tiny apartment, it's still not working. Our kitchen table is covered with dirty dishes and it's starting to smell in here. I'm about >< this close to washing the dishes in the bathtub.

We went into the mountains to pick apples over the weekend, and DH took a picture of me looking SUPER fat and yet pregnant. I may post it to the bellies thread.

#46 ·
Neuromancer, I posted in the spotlight thread about diapers, but I thought of something to add.

In one of our previous apartments in Staten Island, I got one of those washers that you hook up to your sink. We snuck it in to our apartment. And I got one of those wooden collapsible racks to dry things. It was annoying, but it worked. But I wouldn't have been ambitious enough to try cloth diapers at that time.

When I mentioned to my MIL that I was trying to figure out how to do cloth diapers, she was horrified. She immigrated to this country so her children and grandchildren could have better than she had blah blah blah... So she insisted on paying for all of our sposies. I picked the Seventh Generation ones, and I have been really happy with them.

And then she suddenly stopped paying for them when DS turned 2, because she wanted to motivate me to potty train him. <rolls eyes>

---

Lyss, uck! Yeah, I'd be doing them in the bathtub. And using disposible dishes as much as possible until it is resolved!

#47 ·
Never wrote in here...so here is my first!

Had my 14 week appt this morning and babe is doing awesome, it's little heart was loud & strong! In 14 weeks I have gained 2lbs total with nothing gained in the 1st tri...but it wont stay that way...I tend to gain later on. Pretty univentful...just how I like it!

#48 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyss View Post
Neuromancer, we've always lived in apts with no w/d, and so I've always used disposables (I think it's kind of nasty to do cloth diapers at the laundromat). There's a service that's starting up in our area and I'm so excited! My diaper budget for one has always been ~ $40-50/month. I'm hoping that the service is comparable and we can go for it! I agree, though, it doesn't feel like there's a lot of choices when you don't have your own washer, and the newborn laundry situation gets sketchy here and there.

Lousli, that's so fun! We were on the fence re finding out, since we already have a girl and a boy that we didn't find out via u/s. I'd say girl, too.

I had my OB appt today at 15w5d. I really like my OB. She's like the 4th one I've had all these years, and I feel like she really listens to me and believes my concerns are valid. She doesn't rush me. I also think she's really capable. She said because my placenta previa is right over my previous c-section scar, there's a chance it won't clear, so I need to schedule an u/s with an OB that does high-risk u/s. I met her last appt, and I liked her a lot too. I had thought I would transfer to the midwives at their practice, but the midwives there don't do VBA2Cs yet. But I like the OBs so much, I'm comfortable that they're going to give me a fair shot if possible.

We're all sick and it's hotter here than it was all summer. Also, our kitchen drain suddenly stopped draining, and despite a steady stream of maintenance guys and plumbers in our tiny apartment, it's still not working. Our kitchen table is covered with dirty dishes and it's starting to smell in here. I'm about >< this close to washing the dishes in the bathtub.

We went into the mountains to pick apples over the weekend, and DH took a picture of me looking SUPER fat and yet pregnant. I may post it to the bellies thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
Neuromancer, I posted in the spotlight thread about diapers, but I thought of something to add.

In one of our previous apartments in Staten Island, I got one of those washers that you hook up to your sink. We snuck it in to our apartment. And I got one of those wooden collapsible racks to dry things. It was annoying, but it worked. But I wouldn't have been ambitious enough to try cloth diapers at that time.

When I mentioned to my MIL that I was trying to figure out how to do cloth diapers, she was horrified. She immigrated to this country so her children and grandchildren could have better than she had blah blah blah... So she insisted on paying for all of our sposies. I picked the Seventh Generation ones, and I have been really happy with them.

And then she suddenly stopped paying for them when DS turned 2, because she wanted to motivate me to potty train him. <rolls eyes>

---

Lyss, uck! Yeah, I'd be doing them in the bathtub. And using disposible dishes as much as possible until it is resolved!

Thank you both for sharing your diapering thoughts/situations! I appreciate it.

Lyss, I'm glad you're having a good experience with your OB. I'm sick, too (just a cold) and it has been WAY too hot. I hope it's over now -- for me and for you!

#49 ·
Just got back from my second appointment. Baby's got a heart rate of 160, and mine is 72, so it looks like we are both healthy. My pH is neutral, and there were no irregularities at all on my urine test.
Hearing that heartbeat was so sweet! My first. I've got a real live swimmer in there!

I hope everybody is feeling pretty good.

I have had a terrible headache yesterday and today (can I have one day of just feeling awesome?!), but am as happy as can be to finally have confirmation that my LO is doing fine!

I had a dream that the boys I took care of last month were stolen by a gang of Wookies. I was too stunned to stop them. I ran up a steep hill and retrieved the boys, who were playing and laughing.

#50 ·
I would like a wookkie-run mother's morning out program. That would be great.

I lost my mind in the store this weekend and bought every green fruit I could find and made a giant salad. It's ALL GONE. Apples, kiwi, grapes, etc. all gone.

#51 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearl2 View Post
I lost my mind in the store this weekend and bought every green fruit I could find and made a giant salad. It's ALL GONE. Apples, kiwi, grapes, etc. all gone.
That's awesome! Except for the being all gone part. Mmmmm, kiwi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.