Mothering Forum banner

Weekly chat for Sep 20th-27th

2K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  katroshka 
#1 ·
Whew, I can't keep up with all those pages

Welcome to the new week! And hey, we already missed Monday-can't beat that!

See less See more
#2 ·
I suddenly feel like this is all going so fast! Maybe it is the move into maternity clothes that is making me feel that way ...(though they still don't quite fit right but neither do the normal clothes so I usually wear a mix of maternity/normal most days now).

Anyone have a belly band thing? Will it actually help hold my pants up above my knees? Are they comfortable?

I think I am actually able to be productive some days again now! This weekend I moved bins of old clothes of mine and DD to the storage and brought maternity clothes out of storage AND put away about 4 baskets of laundry... I am pretty sure I have not bothered to put away laundry in about 2 months

I am still worn out by evening but I can actually sometimes get stuff done during the day - yeah!

Oh, the other big news is I decided to switch midwife clinics/hospitals. I am switching to one 20 minutes closer during decent driving conditions AND that has water birth tubs. The midwives are a smaller practice that a friend of mine used and really liked. I liked my other midwife clinic and hospital (and they delivered DD) but I am more nervous about distance this time and I really like the water option. =) Just waiting for them to receive and review my records before the official switch is made!

I will feel a tad guilty about switching but feel good about the decision.

#3 ·
16w 1d and loving it!

We found out for sure we are expecting a BOY!

And I have a name in mind that I am just really feeling. Hoping it grows on everyone around the house. Way too many opinions here.

I could never do the belly band. Felt like you always had to fiddle with it.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcregan View Post
I am still worn out by evening but I can actually sometimes get stuff done during the day - yeah!

Yeah, that's me too. And I have some energy during the day now, so I keep thinking that I can do all this stuff.... then I'm just wiped OUT by dinner time. Like today, I'm sanding the dining room floor to refinish it. Then I have to do some major weedeating in the front yard.

#5 ·
Well, yesterday was a bad day, but today I feel a little better. I can eat, and I am actually making a meal for dinner, instead of just throwing things together for dd and hoping dh can do the same.lol.

My dd has school now so that gets me up around 7:30, when before I could barely force myself out of bed before 10. But I take her to school and then usually I feel ok to get a few things done, then get her for lunch and take her back and do a few more things, pick her up from school and by then I'm almost done. But keep pushing along until I lay down with dd around 8pm and fall asleep with her. Dh wakes wakes me up and I move to our bed and either read a while or go right back to sleep. It's soo funny, because usually dh and I stay up late and watch movies until like 1 or 2 in the morning, but I can't even think of doing that right now. Maybe soon though.

Last week I moved all of my maternity clothes into the closet and got rid of all the clothes I did not want to stretch and I actually put them in the crawl space too! That was definately a day I felt pretty good. But I too feel like these clothes are a little big, but the others are definately too tight and uncomfortable. Hopefully soon I'll pop and actually fit into my clothes for a while, until they are too small too.

#6 ·
Funny we're all mucking about in our attics/crawlspaces this last weekend!!

I am VERY pleased with myself. I put together 3 annoying IKEA furniture pieces, including a set of drawers to keep all the baby junk in. AND i dug out all of our baby junk and organized them all by size!! then stocked the drawers and put the rest back in labeled containers so that they can be pulled down when the time comes. I also organized my sons room so that he actually *has* his own room - before my husband had kind of taken it over with his stuff. Overall awesomeness, I was so tired and happy (and sore).

It also reminded me of all the stuff we don't have anymore. Holy moly. Luckily, I think I'll be able to borrow a lot and/or get hand-me-downs. This time around I am not so keen to buy new things.

#7 ·
Okay, where is this magical 2nd trimester energy boost.....because it ain't here!!!!
I've been SO tired for the last 2 days and I just CAN'T get anything done.

We're leaving for VT tomorrow, so I've accepted that I won't do any cleaning/organizing until after we get back next week. However, I DO need to pack. It's my sister's wedding, and I've managed to get everything that everyone needs to wear (well, me & the kids. DP is on his own). So, as long as I get all that stuff, and a few other outfits in a bag, I'm going to call it good.

Ugh....soo tired.

And I randomly threw up this morning (first time in weeks). WTH???

#8 ·
I have two bella bands and i find the work pretty well for me.

Not at all reaady to pull out baby stuff I have no idea how we are going to organized the boys room to fit in another kids clothes... the bedrooms in our place are pretty small... i'm really not sure what to do right now but it'll come in time. Can't move too much around with the bunk bed.. ( it's one of the metal ones with the double on the bottm single up top.)

I decided it was time to make the list of what i want done before the baby come as 5 months... eek.. is going to come up really fast. We still have boxes randomly placed from our move nearly 6 months ago.

#9 ·
Things are good here

I am busy with school and DD is loving her school so the weeks are flying by.

I did get out the baby stuff I have and my DH commented that he thinks we have enough stuff. I thought that was pretty funny since the only one with a sling is my DD, we have 1 diaper, and only a few small baby things.

Someone asked me if I was having twins today. Which should explain why I had to also get out my maternity clothes this weekend. I think I am going to start telling strangers an earlier due date to save myself the embarrassment!

#10 ·
Congratulations, 1bighappyfam! That's so early to find out, too, must be so exciting! I can't wait to find out what I'm having, I have another couple of weeks to go, though.

I got a cold from my daughter over the weekend, it only kept her down for a day and a half, but I got it way worse. So lame. I'm finally not blowing my nose ALL day, but now have an awful sinus headache and a little bit of a residual cough. Not happy. At least I have until Thursday before school starts, so I will hopefully be all better by then.

I'm also looking at switching to a different birth center, I think I'm about 90% decided. Doing a tour and meeting with a midwife next weekend, I've been there a few times before with my best friend who delivered twice there, so I kind of am familiar already. It seems a lot more friendly, personal, and laid back than where I am going currently.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1bighappyfam View Post
16w 1d and loving it!

And I have a name in mind that I am just really feeling. Hoping it grows on everyone around the house. Way too many opinions here.

I could never do the belly band. Felt like you always had to fiddle with it.
Congrats!!!

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1bighappyfam View Post

Congrats! Wow, that is exciting!

I'm feeling relatively decent. Started a class last night that is run through a local arts program to help artists learn about business. I'm really excited about it. I really needed something like that in my life.

Volunteered to help at DD's preschool with their outdoor classroom they are building. I started shoveling soil/compost into a wheelbarrow, but everybody started freaking out that the pregnant lady was shoveling.
So I built a (3 brick high) brick wall instead. And now my back is KILLING me, so maybe they were right.

#13 ·
I'm 16wks since sunday. I don't feel like counting the days. lol
I have a cold.

tmi Did you know that having snot in the back of your throat can make your nausea worst?? yeah, I'm not having a good day. I feel like puking and feel sick at the same time. Not a good combinason. gag reflex is going on well too. ugh

#14 ·
We opened our attic yesterday too. But not to put things in or out. We just moved to this house a month ago. DH has been sleeping in the room that is officially DS's (and DS sleeps with me). DH says a funny chemically smell appeared there suddenly. We figure it roughly corresponds with when workers were here to do some repairs. The attic door was left open when they left. DH thinks they touched something upstairs that is causing the smell. Unfortunately, our step ladder isn't tall enough for him to see in or climb in. We have a bigger ladder in the garage, but I'd like to clean it off before bringing it in the house.

---

Jessica, have fun in VT!

1Big, congrats on finding out it's a boy!

SilverLace, I'm due the day before you, and I have been big enough for a month already that most of my clothes don't fit. I still had 2 long skirts with very elasticky waists, and 1 dress, and that was all that fit. Since I knew I wear that dress often when not pregnant, and it still seemed to have lots of room, I went back and got 2 more of the same dress in different colors. Now my elasticky waist skirts are starting to feel too restrictive, so I'm down to those 3 dresses. Soon I'll have to turn to maternity clothes.

I was thinking to buy one pair of maternity jeans. I haven't worn pants since 2003ish. But I think it will be practical during the cooler weather here. I googled to find nearby maternity stores. Motherhood Maternity is about 20 minutes drive. But there is another store that shows the exact same Motherhood jeans on their site, and they are closer.

I also need to figure out some PJs. We're having overnight guests in mid October, and if my current nightgowns still fit then, they are way too short and transparent to wear with other people in the house.

Katroshk and Sandrine, get well soon!

Rocky, my guy friends are kinda horrified that my husband is letting me do things like clean the car and install the car seats.

#16 ·
I am relieved to find that last week's rhinitis might just mean that I am allergic to the entire state of Nevada because as soon as the train crossed the border, my congestion eased up a lot! Off the hook for now at least.
And then I got food poisoning. I got home the night before last and slept a lot yesterday, and my tummy is in better shape now, but still kind of tender. Even though the train was packed, the conductor let me have a seat by myself when I asked him to move me away from the couple that I had been next to on the previous train, who came back from the bathroom smelling like pot and cigarettes. Barf.
I can hardly believe we are far enough along that people are starting to find out gender! That is amazing! A boy- congratulations!
My second appointment is on Monday and I am still looking forward to hearing the heartbeat for the first time. I am fifteen weeks along today. I have one pair of big jeans that I am holding up with hairbands and a house that is a disaster. One month, I was gone, and the place fell apart.
The wedding is in a week and a half, so we are going to be busy cleaning until then.

#17 ·
Well, I guess I'm about 13 weeks. I feel less nauseous, but still really tired. We got back from a wonderful beach vacation and I actually felt more nauseous after we got back. Maybe I'm just tired from the trip.

Got out my post-partum "big" clothes and my maternity clothes. Mostly wearing the big clothes and a pair of maternity jeans I really like. No maternity shirts yet.

My house is a wreck, too, and of course I came home from vacation thinking I was going to clean and clean out and decorate, blah, blah, blah. I've managed to do all our laundry and that's about it. Oh well.

#18 ·
Jayray, I had a vacation a while back and felt great while we were gone and worse when we got back too. I walked in the front door... and gagged. I don't know if it was fatigue or lack of all the fresh air or what

#19 ·
Guess I am somewhere around 15 weeks

Had my second midwife appointment today, got to hear the hearbeat again
everything is pretty standard, if I didn't hear that heartbeat I would really have a hard time believing this is all real, it's SO different this time. DH still hasn't been able to make an appointment- it's at least a 2 hour commitment away from work for him, and it just doesn't seem practical for him to miss work for it. I had little to no questions for her- kind of just a check in appointment.

I too am completly inbetween on clothes, the regular stuff is starting to feel a little restrictive but the maternity is so lose and baggy, I can't believe I loved that stuff last time.

Can't wait for our ultrasound- REALLY want to know what gender we have growing in there. Congrats 1BigHappyFam for finding out

Energy- definately hear everyone on that one- finally feel like I want to do more- but still get EXAUSTED doing it!

Happy Week everyone

#20 ·
I'm 13 1/2 weeks now, and my closest friend here is measuring 11 weeks with her second. She's having some rougher nausea and migraines, so that helps me stay content with my general weird sensations.

I hope the next week and a half goes quickly. The play I've been rehearsing opens tonight. I decided not to tell my director or cast-mates that I'm pregnant for a couple of reasons. One was that the director is dating a good friend of mine and I want my friend to hear it from me, not from his girlfriend. HOWEVER, my husband and this particular friend hung out last night and our friend went on and on about how boring all his friends with babies and children are, so now I'm not excited to tell him anymore.

Anyway, I also didn't want the rest of the people in the play to be distracted by thinking about me being pregnant, so I'm hiding it as best I can. I have shows almost every night (and two nights we do two shows each) through next Saturday. At least the rehearsals are over. Our final rehearsal (yesterday) was from 2:30 pm to 11:50 pm, and I felt kind of crazy and exhausted by the end of it. Yuck.

#21 ·
Hello Ladies! I don't think I've stopped in for over a month - time has really gotten away from me! I'm 13 and a half weeks right now as well.

I'm really concerned about how much weight I've gained so far - probably close to 10lbs - and it is really worrying me. It feels way too early for gaining this much weight and I'm terrified that I'm going to gain 60lbs.I'm sure it doesn't help that I have a history of body image issues. I started off my pregnancy at a slim to average weight: 135lbs at 5'8". I exercise everyday, but even though I work on eating super healthy, my appetite has definitely increased. I'm just wondering for any experienced Moms here have gained more than the recommended amount at the beginning but then slowed down or if anyone can offer some advice so I can stop worrying about this so much.

Otherwise my pregnancy is going great so far! I feel pretty good and saw our little bean for the first time last week during my 12 week ultrasound, which was amazing!

#22 ·
Julie, the first pregnancy I gained 50 lbs, and then I lost it all within about 2-3 months of breastfeeding. I believe my body knew what it was doing. It knew it would need it. I was 117 at the start of the pregnancy.

This time around, so far I have only gained maybe 2 lbs. I'm 16.5 weeks. I'm thinking that if this continues, I will probably have a baby that isn't so high needs, so I won't need so much extra stored up energy at the start.

#23 ·
I gained almost 60 pounds with my first, although I was probably a little underweight when I got pregnant. I also lost all but 15 pound of it in a few months pp. Lost 5 more in a few more months. Got pregnant this time 10 pounds heavier than with my first, but I probably needed that extra 10 pounds.

If you're concerned, ask your midwife/provider. I'm mostly of the mind that people gain what they need to gain.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Yeah, that's me too. And I have some energy during the day now, so I keep thinking that I can do all this stuff.... then I'm just wiped OUT by dinner time. Like today, I'm sanding the dining room floor to refinish it. Then I have to do some major weedeating in the front yard.

I'm not sure that being 4 months pregnant and not having enough energy to sand the dinning room floor AND weed-eat the yard is bag-over-head worthy!

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by maybesparrow View Post

I'm really concerned about how much weight I've gained so far - probably close to 10lbs - and it is really worrying me.
I'm almost 16 weeks and I've gained about 15 pounds so far. I needed to eat constantly in my first trimester to not feel sick. I was kind of freaking out about it at the 10 pound mark as well, but I've (mostly) accepted this is what my body needs to do. I am not eating any sugar and very little bread products as I had gestational diabetes last time and would like to avoid that this time.

I gained about 40 pounds with my first and lost it all in the first six weeks after birth. So I'm hoping that trend continues!

As long as you are eating as many whole foods as you can, I would try not to worry and just let your body do it's thing. (I know, easier said than done).
You are pregnant and a lot of what is happening to you is uncontrollable, it can definitely be scary sometimes.

#26 ·
well my midwife appt went okay yesterday. But there isn't really concern but there could be casue if things don't change. I have low blood pressure... i thnk it was 108 over 58 yesterday. She says she can hear my heart murmur. ( long story with the murmur it has been going back and forth as to whether or not it is really there casue some doctors can hear it ut others can't)
It was my physical exam which really wasn't much. I opted to have no pelvic exam or any of that. so it was really basic.

i keep going back and forth on whether I want a homebirth or not. I know i'll offically make the decision closer to the date and just feeling really flexible. thankfully my midwife can do both ( cananda ) So even if i change my mind the day of I can go to the hospital. it's nice to have the flexibility. i just really don't like being in the hospital and all the people coming and going. i rather be home in my own space ( this would be my first homebirth)
I don't know we'll see how it goes.. i have an U/s in October on the 13th and really looking forward to it. baby is regulay moving so it's nice to feel. but at the same time it's werid, almost makes me a bit more connected with the pregnancy. I'm not feeling distant or anything just not really connected. I really have no feelings either way with gender but i don't know if that is my own making. I keep thinking girl butI don't want to get my hopes up at the same time ( i thought ds2 was a girl and while I wasn't disappointed i still really would like a little girl) Plus with two little ones already I'm not 100% sure how to get fully connected with this pregnancy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.