Recovery Expectations - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-22-2010, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some of you may have read my birth story with my DD in the prolonged labor thread. My fear of what I went through had me thinking that I might just opt for a scheduled c-section this time around. The more I think about it though, the more I am moving toward a VBAC (even though I'm still frightened!). It's not that I don't think I can do it...I know I can do it, women do it every day, right? One of my fears now is what to expect during the recovery phase. I know what to expect with a c-section recovery, but I feel like natural birth recovery is such an unknown to me at this point. I know it's different for everyone, but I was hoping some of you might share your experiences on what the days/weeks after natural birth are like. I'm even curious about tearing and the recovery that comes with that - is it painful to walk/go to the bathroom? For how long? All of the fun details, for anyone who might share some insights.

Thanks Mamas!
#2 of 21 Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 PM

My last (and only) birth was unmedicated in the hospital. I ended up with a couple of skid mark and one 1st degree tear that they put 1 or 2 stitches in (I can't remember). I remember being very alert although I can't remember much of the actual birth.

Afterward, even though I felt capable of walking, they made me take a chair to the postpartum room I was in for a couple of days. I can remember getting up to pee at one point when a nurse had come in to take my vitals. She freaked out that I was walking on my own. LOL It burned a little when I peed but that didn't last very long.

I would say that I was fully recovered before I ever left the hospital.

Aleyna - Mom to 6 yo DS1 wild.gifRascal and DS2 Tiny born 03/24/11
#3 of 21 Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM

I am kind of surprised that they were surprised you were walking?!

I had an unmedicated pit. induced labor with DD and had 2 really really small tears. 1 stitch and 2 stitches respectively. There was a little pain with the shot to numb but nothing too bad.

I got up and walked to take a bath and pee soon after delivery (that was the best bath ever). No problems walking right away. I was tired but that is about it.

I would say the area was slightly sensitive and a bit sore afterward.. did sting when I peed but the key is to use the squirt bottles they give you. Fill with warm water - squirt on yourself while you pee and it makes all the difference.

Within a few days I think most of the tenderness etc. was gone as well - can't really remember.. no more then a week for me. I was fully mobile and functional right away.

I have a friend who broke her tailbone in birth and had a more difficult time because of that (pain when sitting etc.) Others with more severe tears will have had more pain then I did and for a bit longer but I don't know more details then that.

The couple people I know who have done a c-section and birth say the birth recovery was faster and easier and less painful for them.

**as an educational side note.. I figured you could only tear around the vagina... I tore on the ridge of skin that goes up by the clitoris, This gets stretched out too during crowning. It was not a big deal I just found it very unexpected and surprising.

Jcregan, Mom to DD 4yo. DS born 3/10/2011.winner.jpg  waterbirth.jpg   and trying cd.gif  for the first time.
#4 of 21 Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 PM

I've had two hospital vaginal births and with both i remember being very tired and alittle weak following labor...i needed a few stitches as well which as MO_Bookwyrm mentioned did burn alittle when i peed and only for a few days...I remember dreading having a BM and it being a little painful...But the biggest issue for me was the swelling making it alittle uncomfortable to sit and walk...but yeah it was only a few days!!
#5 of 21 Old 09-22-2010, 10:56 PM

I had a hospital birth with pitocin when my water broke and typical non-medical methods for bringing on contractions didn't work. My daughter was born 41 hours later without any tearing or issues. I was super tired because labor with pit was 18 hours, and in trying to bring on labor naturally we walked 11 miles that first day. However, I was fully walking right after delivery, and making dinner and doing stuff around the house when we got home. I wasn't really as sore as I thought I would be either....slight burning when peeing the first couple of days, but so minor compared to what I had imagined that it barely registers in my memory. To second what another poster has said, friends that have had both c-sections and vaginal births found the vaginal births to be a quicker recovery.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#6 of 21 Old 09-22-2010, 10:57 PM

i had a drug-free delivery. I did however have an IV for being group strep B positive. because of that, my feet ended up swelling up the day after I delivered and it totally freaked me out. that didn't hurt or cause issues, but it would have been nice to know my shoes weren't going to fit AFTER i had my kid (I had no swelling/puffiness during my entire pregnancy). that made me really mad for some reason. socks dug into my legs, my shoes didn't fit, etc.

I had a 2nd degree tear - I think they said 10 stitches. and a small tear up top (2 stitches). tip one: don't look at the lights in the ceiling if/when they stitch you up - you can see everything they are doing. OK for me, but not for everyone (lots of people aren't a fan of needles). The healing was a bit sore, but the squeezy bottle (with epson salt mixed in) was the key to it not being a big deal. I remember thinking "I'll never be the same again" but pretty soon I was. Much faster than I expected. Had to be gentle during sex for a while, but it wasn't that big of a deal really (post-baby sex & exhaustion being what it is). they use the dissolving stitches (duh, of course, but I was so worried about getting stitches because of the getting them out process due to previous experiences with stitches in other body parts).

tailbone: I don't know that I broke it, I don't know that I didn't. All I know is my tailbone was sore for probably several weeks. Not prohibitively sore - it didn't keep me from doing anything, but it was sore. I had to be careful how I sat, which chair I sat in. But it wasn't a huge deal. It didn't interfere with my ability to drive a car or anything, or sit and nurse. Getting up out of bed was hard for the first week.

with all the stitches, and the tailbone thing - I walked to the postpartum room. And then I couldn't sleep for 3 hours. the nurse kept coming in and telling me to rest, but my husband hadn't come back with our baby from the nursery yet, and I was worried, despite the nurse telling me they were fine (they were).

I'm a cyclist and I was back up on the bike at 6 weeks. long walks at 2 weeks, jogging at 4 or 5 weeks (that was unpleasant - totally different body than when I had last jogged pre-pregnancy). tailbone was a little sore, but again, it didn't stop me, or even come close. it was fine really, just kind of annoying.
#7 of 21 Old 09-22-2010, 11:44 PM

My recovery story might be atypical, but I'll tell you about it anyway:

My daughter was 9 lbs, 14.25" head circumference (97th %-ile!). She was born on Wednesday and I had no tears, but my midwife did see one 'mark' (whatever that means). I felt a little stinging the first time I peed, but just barely (I'm assuming that was from the 'mark'). On Saturday I worked up the courage to check myself out with my fingers while I was in the shower and I really surprised myself. I did not feel any different. Not loose or open or stretched out or anything. I knew women didn't stay stretched out forever, but I thought I'd feel something after just two days!

I think I did have a hemorrhoid for a few days.

By 10 days post partum, I wanted to try sex. By 14 days, DH was willing and by 21 days we were back at it like normal.

No stinging, no weird or uncomfortable feelings, nothing. Nothing at all like I was expecting.

[part of me is terrified that I used up all my 'good birth' karma and that this next time is going to be the complete opposite]

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#8 of 21 Old 09-23-2010, 05:20 AM

I've had two vaginal births and with the first I had a second degree tear and some stitches, the second just one stitch. I too remember burning with peeing at first (and I had some trouble peeing after my first birth but not enough to need a catheter) and sure I was a little sore for a while after. I decided not to check things out down south till they had healed, I was so busy with the baby and I was afraid if things didn't look pretty I didn't want to get upset. But overall the recovery was pretty good, I was taking little walks within a week or so. Comparing notes with my sis who has had c-sections we decided they each have their pros & cons but that vaginal is for sure an easier recovery, usually. No lasting difficulties though I must say I've had to be really good with Kegels to avoid the incontinence thing. One bonus to vaginal birth - sex to your heart's content and you never get sore!
#9 of 21 Old 09-23-2010, 08:48 AM

So far I have been blessed with 6 great vag. deliveries. I had an episiotomy with my first (given by midwife actually) and that was the only time I felt discomfort after delivery. The other deliveries I didn't tear and my last I needed 1 stitch. That was a non-issue. I never feel like I just had a baby. In fact I have to force myself to chill because while I may feel fine the body does go through a lot.

Our GREAT #8 due September 2012! joy.gif
#10 of 21 Old 09-23-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Ladies, I can't thank you enough. Your stories and experiences are making me feel much more confident about going for a VBAC. It doesn't sound as scary as what I was envisioning!
#11 of 21 Old 09-23-2010, 02:04 PM

I had a c-section and then a VBAC with DD. I had a really easy c-section recovery, no issues and was fine within 2 weeks, it was easy.

That being said the VBAC recovery was so much easier and nicer. I did have a second degree tear, so I did have some stitches and I did use the peri bottle for about 2 weeks. I had an epidural, and I was up and walking about 90 minutes after birth, they won't move me to the maternity area until I was up and walking. I felt fine, honestly I could have gone home and been fine following my regular schedule other then the peri bottle for the tear. I was able to get up and change DD, hold her, walk holding her all within 2 hours after birth. It was so nice and such an easy recovery. I did rest some, but it was nice being able to go home and lift up DS since if I had had a c-section I won't have been able to with the 10 or 15 pound weight limit on lifting things they suggest for the first week or so. I was able to walk easily, sit easily, go to the bathroom without much pain, and take care of both my toddler and newborn. I did have people there to help, but even if they hadn't been there it won't have been a huge issue. It was just a totally different experience then my c-section and so nice, and I had a wonderful and easy c-section recovery.

I'll be having VBAC with the newbie as well, it was just such a nice recovery period and so nice being able to cuddle and hold both my new baby and my older baby.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#12 of 21 Old 09-23-2010, 02:11 PM

My first was a c/s. I couldn't walk without pain, or hunching over for a week. I couldn't walk the baby, or turn over at night, or sit up at night to nurse the baby without pain or difficulty for a week or more, and it was still longer to really feeling like "normal" me again. My recovery from the c/s was quite normal, and uncomplicated. But you know it still takes time.

My 2nd was a HBAC, in the water. I had a couple of skidmarks, they were just sore for a day or so while they healed. It didn't sting much to pee with the peri bottle, but even that was just for the first day or 2. The first bowel movement was fine, though I was worried about it. (on a side note, if you try to drink lots of fluids, and eat non constipating foods, and even include some that will help keep things regular, you should find that that first time it's pretty easy to pass.) I was able to walk around as needed right away, though of course I was tired. I was able to get up if the baby needed to walk or be bounced. I was able to sleep comfortably, nurse comfortably. And I felt much like my old self within a few days.

Of course it takes time to feel ready for sex again, but not really any longer than it did with a c/s and a nursing newborn on my hands the first time! But the recovery from swelling and trauma from actually stretching out during the birth was so healed so quickly, during the first week certainly. I found it to be a much faster and more pleasant recovery for the VBAC.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#13 of 21 Old 09-23-2010, 02:33 PM

I pushed DS out for 2 hours. It was so frustrating. I could feel him sliding back in between the contractions. But I guess that was for the best, because it gave his head time to get cone-shaped, and gave me time to stretch. Otherwise I probably would have torn worse.

I only had a few tiny tears, like if you have chapped lips and laugh and get a little split. The midwife stitched one tear with I think 2 stitches. She said she'd do it from the inside, so that I would be less likely to feel it when I pee. I never felt it again.

I didn't feel brave enough to try sex for a month. Even at that point, I felt like my pelvic floor was saggy. But everything else seemed normal to my fingers, and with a hand mirror.

But, it was very sore. I cried. Not from the pain, but from thinking I'd never enjoy sex again. But every time got a little better, and within a few more weeks it was back to feeling normal.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#14 of 21 Old 09-23-2010, 06:39 PM

AJewlez-I'm not sure where you live, but have you looked into ICAN? It's the International C-Section Awareness Network and it's a great resource. I've been to one meeting since finding out I was pregnant and was inspired to go for an HBAC. The women in the group will be able to give you support and information. I hope you there's a chapter in your area and if not, seriously consider starting one on your own! Good luck Mama, and KUP on your decision!

Elizabeth (31) & DH (31)
DS born October 15th, 2008
Our amazing HBAC DD born March 21th, 2011
#15 of 21 Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 PM

I'm so glad you posted this! I am so scared too! I just started reading Ina May's Guide.

I've had two really difficult recoveries - the first a c-section after a 28-hour failed induction, and the second a c-section 4-5 hours after my water broke.

The first recovery was really bad - the doctor removed a TON of scar tissue during the second c-section. He essentially did a big tummy tuck because he said some of it was calcified and it had nerves in it. The second recovery wasn't as physically painful, but my nearly-2yo daughter wanted to climb all over me and I'd wished I'd let her.

I think the big difference is that after both sections, the doctor said to stay off my feet for 24 hours. After the first, the nurse came in after just a few hours, took out the catheter, and made me stand up. You know how much fluid you lose after a c-section when they're pumping you full of IV liquid and goodness knows what - I had to get up to pee over and over and it was so excruciating.

After the second c-section, I had the same mean nurse come in and try to take out my catheter. I told her I'd page the doctor if she touched it - that I wasn't getting out of bed for 24 hours per his orders. She was so mean! She refused to change the pee-bag! But I had so much less pain, and I was walking around pushing the baby at the 24-hour mark, where as after the first I could only shuffle for *days*.

I'm just afraid that I'm going to go for the VBA2C and *still* wind up with a c-section after hours of fruitless labor and have another worst possible recovery with 2 wild kids and a newborn to take care of. Ugh.

The idea of being able to hold the baby right after birth (I had the shakes so bad and was so weak I couldn't nurse my kids for 4-6 hours after birth) is so tempting.

But I think recovery would be simpler, too, if I scheduled a c-section and didn't go into labor first. I don't recommend the labor/c-section combo!
#16 of 21 Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 PM

It is always a good idea to take it easy for a while after the birth. To avoid bleeding too much.

After DS was born, I felt for a while like I couldn't breathe if I was standing. It isn't exactly relevant to this thread, because it would have happened with a C/S too. But anyway, I guess he was pushing on my lungs so much, compressing them into such small space, that when his body wasn't there anymore it felt like they were falling down when I stood up. So when I got up to go to the bathroom, I just held my breath while walking from the bedroom to the bathroom. I felt fine as long as I didn't expand my lungs.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#17 of 21 Old 09-23-2010, 11:08 PM

I had a natural (unmedicated) childbirth and my recovery was pretty easy. I felt sore for a few days, but I was able to walk around very soon after the birth. I did feel weak and drained and I took it easy for awhile. I never had any problems going to the bathroom. I did tear and I had stitches, but they didn't really bother me much.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#18 of 21 Old 09-24-2010, 01:46 AM

I guess I'm in the minority here. I did hospital birth with epidural. Birth itself was smooth - I napped most of my 8 hour labor and pushed for like 1 hour. But I did tear pretty badly - maybe because of short push? The doc stitched me up for about 45 minutes! She couldn't tell me how many stitches but had used 3 sutures (I think each suture is like a foot long!). I didn't have problems going to the bathroom (w peri bottle + witch hazel pads) but I was pretty sore especially going up/down stairs for easily one month. Hoping tearing would be less this time around for sure.

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#19 of 21 Old 09-24-2010, 02:25 AM

a little background first, I have a history of tension migraines due to having messed my neck up when I was a teenager, one of the joints of my pelvis started going out of alignment when I was about 20 Weeks (have a physical therapist who would do adjustments on it, but it still would go out until after DD dropped and her head was holding it in place), and in the last couple of weeks of my pregnancy my platelet count dropped, so my blood was not clotting properly.

I had an unmedicated birth, had an episiotomy because there was an internal band that absolutely wouldn't stretch, I think it was 3-4 stitches. I could barely walk from my bed to the bathroom for the first two days because I had so much swelling, it stung when I peed for the first week or so, and sex wasn't bearable until after 2 months, and then it still could get uncomfortable for almost another two months (I'm pretty sure the doc did a bad job getting the stitches in lining the edges up correctly, she seemed like she just wanted to get done with me at that point). I had a migraine for a week, partially because of the strain of pushing in a half-siting, feet-up position, partially because that hospital only has the hard birthing beds in their maternity ward and pillows other then mine always hurt my neck. My pelvis went back out of alignment, and 16 months later still goes in and out and causes low back pain. It did hurt to have a bowl movement for the first 4ish days because of all the swelling, couldn't sit comfortably on most chairs for at least a week (swelling plus stitches). and I lost enough blood that I was anemic for a while, making me really worn out.

now, this sequence of circumstances is really unlikely, and on more of the extreme side of what recover can be like, I just want you to know that occasionally it can be hard with a vaginal birth.

funny thing, all of my friends who have had hard pregnancies had easy postpartums, everyone who had an easy pregnancy has had a harder recovery.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#20 of 21 Old 09-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPhD View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here. I did hospital birth with epidural. Birth itself was smooth - I napped most of my 8 hour labor and pushed for like 1 hour. But I did tear pretty badly - maybe because of short push? The doc stitched me up for about 45 minutes! She couldn't tell me how many stitches but had used 3 sutures (I think each suture is like a foot long!). I didn't have problems going to the bathroom (w peri bottle + witch hazel pads) but I was pretty sore especially going up/down stairs for easily one month. Hoping tearing would be less this time around for sure.
sometimes with an epidural you can be pushing too hard, because you can't feel what you're doing, most women are also without the aid of gravity with one. Both can contribute to perineal damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post
funny thing, all of my friends who have had hard pregnancies had easy postpartums, everyone who had an easy pregnancy has had a harder recovery.
I found both to be pretty easy. But I guess if you're really suffering being pregnant, being not pregnant is bound to be an improvement.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#21 of 21 Old 09-24-2010, 04:37 PM

One thing I forgot to mention, and I'm not sure how that happened, but when I got out of bed in the morning after delivering Fiona (about 4hours post-birth)....whoosh! I totally peed, but had no idea I even had to go and had no control to stop it. It was so surprising, I didn't even realize it was urine until it happened again a few days later (the nurse that it was lochia/liquid from the uterus). I found that if I let my bladder get too full I had a hard time controlling it. This completely freaked me out thinking I was going to be a peer from now on, but it got more or less back to normal within two weeks.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page